• Vortex reucer - Boomerang

From Peter Watkinson@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 7 06:41:25 2018
    Hi Everyone,

I stuck this on gps-speedsurfing.com but no bites there maybe they are a bunch of wallies but anyway.....

I have an idea for a vortex reducer on the top of the mast

Get some boomerangs off of ebay maybe and put some carbon strips on them with some resin and drill a hole in the center of the boomerang and slot that piece of plastic you have at the tip of the mast that has strip of webbing on it and slip it through
    the boomerang hole. I think that this might reduce a vortex at the tip of the sail and mast.

This is also done on modern Boeings and Airbuses and executive jets to reduce the drag - vortex at the tip of the wings to reduce fuel consumption, also so that airliners can take off and land closer to each other and also so they can park closer to each
    other at airports. Eagles and birds also have feathers turned up at the end of there wings so they can soar for longer.

I also think this can be applied to the fin. Drill a line of holes about an inch from the tip of the fin with a fine drill bit and slot an elliptical plate of fine steel (maybe like a coin) through the holes and resin it or industrial glue it into place.
    This could reduce vortexes around the fin. There could be a balance between this and the boomerang idea.

I think some of these ideas could be applied to surf boards, kite boards as well as dinghys catamarans and yachts.

I approached people with the idea of patenting these ideas but had no reply. Maybe everyone in the spirit of Jim Drake RIP could just make these ideas.

I suffer from mental illness and don't actually have much cash so if sail maker, fin maker etc thinks there is a market for these ideas I could do with some cash - I'm only looking for about £10,000, $15000 at the moment you could pay me via paypal.

Please contact me via my email address.

Peter Watkinson
    peterw871@gmail.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Peter Watkinson@21:1/5 to Peter Watkinson on Mon Aug 20 02:15:03 2018
    On Saturday, July 7, 2018 at 2:41:27 PM UTC+1, Peter Watkinson wrote:
    Hi Everyone,

I stuck this on gps-speedsurfing.com but no bites there maybe they are a bunch of wallies but anyway.....

Get some boomerangs off of ebay maybe and put some carbon strips on them with some resin and drill a hole in the center of the boomerang and slot that piece of plastic you have at the tip of the mast that has strip of webbing on it and slip it through
    the boomerang hole. I think that this might reduce a vortex at the tip of the sail and mast.

This is also done on modern Boeings and Airbuses and executive jets to reduce the drag - vortex at the tip of the wings to reduce fuel consumption, also so that airliners can take off and land closer to each other and also so they can park closer to
    each other at airports. Eagles and birds also have feathers turned up at the end of there wings so they can soar for longer.

I also think this can be applied to the fin. Drill a line of holes about an inch from the tip of the fin with a fine drill bit and slot an elliptical plate of fine steel (maybe like a coin) through the holes and resin it or industrial glue it into
    place. This could reduce vortexes around the fin. There could be a balance between this and the boomerang idea.

I think some of these ideas could be applied to surf boards, kite boards as well as dinghys catamarans and yachts.

I approached people with the idea of patenting these ideas but had no reply. Maybe everyone in the spirit of Jim Drake RIP could just make these ideas.

I suffer from mental illness and don't actually have much cash so if sail maker, fin maker etc thinks there is a market for these ideas I could do with some cash - I'm only looking for about £10,000, $15000 at the moment you could pay me via paypal.

Peter Watkinson
    peterw871@gmail.com

see these pictures of Boeings for example

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=boeing&rlz=1C1CHBH_en-gbGB784GB785&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjOzPiQpfvcAhWC4IUKHSZ_B5EQ_AUICygC&biw=1920&bih=974

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From dwus484@comcast.net@21:1/5 to Peter Watkinson on Fri Apr 5 08:45:47 2019
    On Saturday, July 7, 2018 at 9:41:27 AM UTC-4, Peter Watkinson wrote:
    Hi Everyone,

This is also done on modern Boeings and Airbuses and executive jets to reduce the drag - vortex at the tip of the wings to reduce fuel consumption, also so that airliners can take off and land closer to each other and also so they can park closer to
    each other at airports. Eagles and birds also have feathers turned up at the end of there wings so they can soar for longer.

I also think this can be applied to the fin. Drill a line of holes about an inch from the tip of the fin with a fine drill bit and slot an elliptical plate of fine steel (maybe like a coin) through the holes and resin it or industrial glue it into
    place. This could reduce vortexes around the fin. There could be a balance between this and the boomerang idea.

Peter Watkinson
    peterw871@gmail.com

It's nice to see some new content on this old newsgroup! These flip-ups on the airplane are designed to reduce overall drag by eliminating or reducing wingtip vortices. The flip ups themselves also cause drag, but result in a net drag reduction.
    However, the wing-tips were created out of a desire to design higher aspect wings (lower drag at speed for fuel savings) while still able to fit in the standard gate box at any airport. After all, multiple planes must be parked in a row along the gate.
    Any plane to the gate must fit safely in the box. Therefore, winglets were added to increase lift without increasing the overall wing length.

The other difference is that windsurfing sails are very low aspect compared to passenger jets and each show very different vortice patterns comparatively. A windsurfing sail relies on twist to reduce tip vortices, by aligning the sail's leach with the
    air flowing past it and not creating lift. The top of the leach on modern windsurfing sails acts as an inherent vortices-reduction system.

The other issue is inducing more drag when the flip-ups are out of alignment. While the plane can simply "power through" this additional drag caused by misalignment -at take-off speed, for example- a windsurfing sail relies on itself to transfer wind
    power into forward direction. Our speed increases with the wind speed, generally, and drops with the wind speed. Yet our mast (the wing's leading edge) regularly changes its sweep angle. Any flip-up must move with the mast since the sail follows the
    mast sweep angle. This movement would necessarily change the flip-up's angle of attack. The ideal angle of attack would therefore be chosen and fixed. Any sweep angle not in that ideal angle of attack would compromise the sought net gain of lift/drag
    ratio. Such a contraction would certainly multiply the pitching moment of the rig itself, making the board less stable and raising and lowering the sail's center of effort abruptly.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05