• Bic Adagio (information wanted)

From ari.khu96@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Simon Papps on Sun Jun 24 15:01:27 2018
    On Friday, March 20, 1998 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Simon Papps wrote:
    Iacob Chr. Prebensen wrote:

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998 22:32:20 -0800, "Mark & Lynne Frost" <frosties@dnc_nospam.net> wrote:

upwind quick would give me lots of practice gybing. The problem was that >this board with VERY hard slab, parallel sides and a flat bottom and zero >tail rocker, was not an easy board to turn.

Try, impossible to turn, but uppvind is incredible!

I sailed one for years but I never thought of it as hard to gybe. It was probably easier to gybe than the custom course-slalom board I sail today. It'll
    do carve and pivot gybes, you just can't use the aggressive lay the sail down approach. Most boards from the early 90's required a step gybe approach, because the tails had so little volume compared to the nose, you had to step forward through the gybe to prevent sinking the tail.

Hello! It's 2018 and I got a Bic Adagio for peanuts. It's just missing the mast base extension and u-joint. How will I find these things so that they are compatible with this board? Do you guys still use these email accounts from 20yrs ago? I need a bit
    of help... :)

---Ari

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From ari.khu96@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Jaakko Saarela on Sun Jun 24 15:00:32 2018
    On Tuesday, March 10, 1998 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Jaakko Saarela wrote:
    Hi!!

Does someone of you know something about Bic Adagio??
    What kind of board it is and what kind of experiences
    do you have about Bic Adagio?? Now it will be possible
    for me to buy secondhand (cheap) Adagio, but I really
    don't remember anything about that board. I had Bic
    Astro and now I want something smaller and faster and
    maybe something more difficult. Is the Adagio one that
    covers previous specification?? Please tell everything
    to me that you know about Bic boards and especially
    everything about Bic Adagio!!!!!

--JaSa

*===================================================*
    |Jaakko Saarela Jaakko.Saarela@nmp.nokia.com |
    |Nokia Mobile Phones | *===================================================*

Hello! It's 2018 and I got a Bic Adagio for peanuts. It's just missing the mast base extension and u-joint. How will I find these things so that they are compatible with this board? Do you guys still use these email accounts from 20yrs ago? I need a bit

---Ari

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ari.khu96@gmail.com@21:1/5 to MessinaTwo on Sun Jun 24 15:01:54 2018
    On Saturday, March 14, 1998 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, MessinaTwo wrote:
    FOR SALE
    BIC ADAGIO, 8'9", 100 ltrs, standard finbox , two fins included
    Medium wind slalom board, stiff & light
    Great condition, new non-skid, new-footstraps
    Asking $100 , board is currently in Long Island NY

For the money, the Adagio makes a great first short board. It has a lot of volume [approximately 100 ltrs] for its size {only 8'9"}. That extra flotation
    comes in handy in marginal conditions, or for new shortboarders, who will appreciate it. Its outline is more of a classic shape with fairly flat rocker.

I have sailed this board with sails as big as 7.0 and as small as 4.5.
    Its sweet spot is from 5.0 to 6.0. This board excels in flat-water speed. It is
    not a soft-railed convertible or slashy bump and jump board.
    Although it is only 8'9" in length, I do not recommend this board for onshore waves, Its rails are too sharp and it is not loose enough. I don't recommend it
    as a high wind board unless you weigh at least 180 pounds, that extra volume becomes a hindrance in heavy wind. It is however a blessing when slogging out to the wind line.
    While this board can handle big chop in a straight line, but is not designed for tight jibes. It needs carving jibe, or a pivot jibe, and that extra volume
    comes in handy just in case you blow your jibe.
    It will however point to windward like a mother, and reward the rider with an exciting ride in a wide wind range.
    If you sail primarily in protected areas, or on flat water,
    If you appreciate a board with extra volume,
    If you want to go fast, upwind or downwind, not just on a beam reach.
    If you want a great value for the money,
    If you are looking for your first short board,
    If you are looking for a great bay or lake board,
    This is it.

---Ari

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ari.khu96@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Mark Eichman on Sun Jun 24 15:02:10 2018
    On Friday, March 13, 1998 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Mark Eichman wrote:
    I have a Bic Adagio. I don't know what year it is, but it's 9'3" long and a magazine review I found says it's 110 liters. I really enjoy my first short boart. I still haven't jibed yet, but in the right conditions, I have kept up with the "other guys" with my Waddell Race 5.1 in 25mph winds.

In response to the quote below, would a 13" fin be about right for this
    board in most conditions? I usually sail in 10 to 20 mph winds. I weigh
    150 lbs and want to pick up a sail in the 7.0 range.

Mark Eichman
    Lake Don Pedro, CA

I used a True Ames 13" pointer fin with my 6.5m2 NP race sail (great >combination), and down to a 4.5 wave/slalom sail with a smaller fin. For
    me
    the board size and volume was perfect. If the wind dropped I could *just* >uphaul, and it slogged easily (definite no-no-nose board). And I sailed it >sometimes with a 4.0, though I wished that I had a slower board on those >crazy days. Got some great air.

---Ari

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ari.khu96@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jun 24 15:02:33 2018
    On Wednesday, March 11, 1998 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Mark & Lynne Frost wrote:
    I bought a Bic Adagio in 1992 when it was just introduced. It is 272cm (8'-11") long. It is a 106 ltr slalom/giant slalom board. I am (or was then) 195lbs (88 kgs). I bought for it's speed and up-wind ability. When you are learning, the fear of ending up downwind sometimes makes you uncomfortable in attempting gybing, and I thought that a board that got me upwind quick would give me lots of practice gybing. The problem was that this board with VERY hard slab, parallel sides and a flat bottom and zero tail rocker, was not an easy board to turn. Thus there was a flaw in my 'get more gybes in' plan. It is a really fast board. A little flat in the nose, which makes it hairy when travelling at full speed in chop. It is a durable board, I have landed heavily onto shingle beaches in big shore dumps with no effect.

I used a True Ames 13" pointer fin with my 6.5m2 NP race sail (great combination), and down to a 4.5 wave/slalom sail with a smaller fin. For me the board size and volume was perfect. If the wind dropped I could *just* uphaul, and it slogged easily (definite no-no-nose board). And I sailed it sometimes with a 4.0, though I wished that I had a slower board on those crazy days. Got some great air.

It was a good board, fast and fun, though If I was to do it agin I would probably sacrifice some speed, and would have bought a Mistral Screamer (though that was WAY out of my price range at the time). That may have advanced my gybing skills faster.

It was ultimately replaced in early 1997 with a F2 Axxis 278, as an easier board to turn, and I suppose just as fast. Another reason for the replacement was to standardize on fin types, being that I then had a Mistral Explosion (for 7.5 days) and the F2 Axxis 268 as my small board. We left
    the Adagio with my brother-in-law on Long Island when we moved here in May 1996, but now I wished I'd brought it since he'll NEVER use it, and we could always use a board here for friends to use! Let me know if you need any other info.

Mark

Jaakko Saarela wrote in message <3505B496.61D5@nmp.nokia.com>...
    Hi!!

Does someone of you know something about Bic Adagio??
    What kind of board it is and what kind of experiences
    do you have about Bic Adagio?? Now it will be possible
    for me to buy secondhand (cheap) Adagio, but I really
    don't remember anything about that board. I had Bic
    Astro and now I want something smaller and faster and
    maybe something more difficult. Is the Adagio one that
    covers previous specification?? Please tell everything
    to me that you know about Bic boards and especially
    everything about Bic Adagio!!!!!

--JaSa

*===================================================*
    |Jaakko Saarela Jaakko.Saarela@nmp.nokia.com |
    |Nokia Mobile Phones | >*===================================================*

---Ari

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05