• Mistral Superlight -- please help --- boom head broke on maiden voyage

From Kawartha Kate@21:1/5 to All on Tue Aug 22 15:58:57 2017
    Hi. New to this group. After a 35 year hiatus, I bought a Mistral Superlight the other day. Took it on its maiden voyage for twenty minutes and as I was reliving my youth in light wind, the boom head broke -- with a chunk of it sinking. I note that it
    is made of plastic, which I presume degrades with time. Paid C$400 so now basically have something I can't use unless I can find either a new boom head (can you put those on?) or a whole new wishbone. Does anyone know what other wishbones are compatible
    with the Mistral Superlight wishbone? Or where I can procure one? I am in Ontario, Canada, so a location in Toronto/Kawarthas/Ottawa would be best although I would not preclude ordering from the US and collecting over the border in NOrthern VT or
    Ogdensburg NY or Canton Michigan. If I can get a new boom head in Europe, I would take that too...

Can anyone help me? I am devastated --- have been looking for a second hand windsurfer for years and paid a somewhat premium for an old but good condition board and mast and sail but sorely disappointed to have lost all use after 20 minutes.

Many thanks, Windsurfing Community! If this community is half what my Puffer sailboat community was like, I know someone out there will be able to guide me and allow me to relive my youth! :-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From 26000elephants@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 24 14:33:54 2017
    Hi,

I too returned to windsurfing with a Mistral Superlight! And I can say that it is not the easiest way back, but rewarding all the same.

As for the original tie-on boom and sail - its nearly impossible to use for a beginner. I switched to a (slightly) more modern battened sail (from a bic calypso) and found this much easier to use. You should be able to pick up a sail/boom/mast combo
    pretty cheap anywhere. As long as its a standard mast, your Mistral base/extension will fit into it.

Hope this helps, and best of luck with it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 26000elephants@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 24 14:48:53 2017
    Hi,

I too returned to windsurfing with a Mistral Superlight! And I can say that it is not the easiest way back, but rewarding all the same.

As for the original tie-on boom and sail - its very difficult to use at the start. I switched to a (slightly) more modern battened sail (from a bic calypso) and found this much easier to use. You should be able to pick up a sail/boom/mast combo pretty
    cheap anywhere. As long as its a standard mast, your Mistral base/extension will fit into it.

Hope this helps, and best of luck with it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 26000elephants@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 24 14:36:53 2017
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/GKlv4PSODUoBTfQR2

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05