• Info on Mistral Diamond Head

From leonid99@hotmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 9 17:36:46 2016
    I still use my Diamond Head to this day even though it originally came out in the 85/86 season. I am heavier (around 100kg) and I find the semi-floater, v-shape hull good for my preferred wind conditions (25 knots plus). It is a strong board and performs
    well in gale force conditions and is superb in flat water, high wind conditions. The board originally came with a football fin that needs to be replaced. The mast base arrangement is a bit dodgy and should be replaced with a more standard (Tyronsea)
    system.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Ross Herrin@21:1/5 to All on Wed Apr 12 20:14:41 2017
    I know the original posting was in 1995 but I saw where someone posted a reply in 2016 so I couldn't move on without chiming in. The Diamond Head was my first short board. It was a 1986 purchased brand new in summer of 1987. At 9'4" 125L 25 lbs it was
    easy to water start & up-haul. I still have the board today April 2017 & is still in great conditions. Just sailed it 3 days ago winds 20-25 mph & was passing other sailors on modern boards. It has been put through the test over the years & still
    today is my favorite board of all time. It has survived being sailed with large fins, has been jumped many many times over the past 30 years and still today I have never had to replace the mast track or the fin box. Only the fin & foot straps have been
    replaced over time. I guess I have been lucky based on what I have read in other postings.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From wndsrfross@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Sandy Thomson on Wed Apr 12 20:10:37 2017
    On Monday, May 8, 1995 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, Sandy Thomson wrote:
    I have the opportunity to buy a used Mistral Diamond
    Head. The board is 7 or 8 years old but looks to be in
    good shape. I have a few questions that I wouldn't mind
    some feedback on:

- What is its volume and weight? (112L??)
    - Being a very old model, how does it compare in terms of
    performance?
    - How easy is it to gybe and waterstart? (since this would be
    my first shortboard)
    - How early does it plane? (I am about 5'9" and weigh 145 lbs)
    - Any ideas on a fair price for the semi-complete board?

Also, any other info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sandy Thomson

I know the original posting was in 1995 but I saw where someone posted a reply in 2016 so I couldn't move on without chiming in. The Diamond Head was my first short board. It was a 1986 purchased brand new in summer of 1987. At 9'4" 125L 25 lbs it was
    easy to water start & up-haul. I still have the board today April 2017 & is still in great conditions. Just sailed it 3 days ago winds 20-25 mph & was passing other sailors on modern boards. It has been put through the test over the years & still
    today is my favorite board of all time. It has survived being sailed with large fins, has been jumped many many times over the past 30 years and still today I have never had to replace the mast track or the fin box. Only the fin & foot straps have been
    replaced over time. I guess I have been lucky based on what I have read in other postings.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From leonid99@hotmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 7 19:50:23 2017
    Great to read that there are still fans of the Diamond Head to this day. It is easily my favourite board despite being 30 years old. It is fast and reliable in conditions of 20 knots plus and for bigger guys (100 kilos plus) it an ideal slalom board. I
    have managed to crack the fin box just recently and the football fin that came with it is was useless and the original mast was dodgy but all these things came be remedied.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From leonid99@hotmail.com@21:1/5 to leon...@hotmail.com on Wed Jun 7 19:53:44 2017
    On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 12:50:24 PM UTC+10, leon...@hotmail.com wrote:
    Great to read that there are still fans of the Diamond Head to this day. It is easily my favourite board despite being 30 years old. It is fast and reliable in conditions of 20 knots plus and for bigger guys (100 kilos plus) it an ideal slalom board. I
    have managed to crack the fin box just recently and the football fin that came with it is was useless and the original mast track/carriage was dodgy but all these things came be remedied.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From fransbragonje@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jul 22 12:59:38 2020
    Hi there,
    I still have my Diamond Head from 87 and also sailing still sailing it. It’s in a very good condition, I only replaced the mastfoot with a europin baseplate. Still have the original footstraps. At this moment I am looking for a freestyle board. I want
    to do more tricks and looking forward to get me one. I was searching for the volume from my Diamond Head, that’s why i came here.
    Frans (from Holland)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05