• Trouble playing home made DVDs on computer

From mur@.@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 3 15:16:54 2018
    XPost: rec.video.desktop, rec.video.production

Hi,

My old 32 bit Windows XP computer would play videos I record with a digital 8 mm
    video camera and then put on DVD with a DVD recorder, by opening the DVD player on the computer then opening the VIDEO_TS folder then double clicking on VTS_01_1.VOB ( _2., _3. etc) and the default GOM Player would open and play them. But in my new 64 bit Windows 10 computer I don't have GOM Player and try playing those vids the same way using Windows Media Player but it won't do anything trying it that way. Trying to drag and drop a + sign comes up, but still it won't do anything. Copying them to the Video Folder, then highlighting the icon and selecting Open With, Windows Media Player will play them but it doesn't split the videos the way it does on DVD players. Can anyone suggest a good way of doing this? Can anyone explain why it won't play these DVDs like it does things I buy, but all DVD players I've put them in play them just fine with
    no problems bringing up the menu like they're supposed to?

Thank you for any help with this!
    David

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Carl Fink@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jul 5 13:19:40 2018
    XPost: rec.video.desktop, rec.video.production

On 2018-07-03, mur@. <mur@> wrote:
    Hi,

My old 32 bit Windows XP computer would play videos I record with a digital 8 mm
    video camera and then put on DVD with a DVD recorder, by opening the DVD player
    on the computer then opening the VIDEO_TS folder then double clicking on VTS_01_1.VOB ( _2., _3. etc) and the default GOM Player would open and play them. But in my new 64 bit Windows 10 computer I don't have GOM Player and try
    playing those vids the same way using Windows Media Player but it won't do anything trying it that way. Trying to drag and drop a + sign comes up, but still it won't do anything. Copying them to the Video Folder, then highlighting
    the icon and selecting Open With, Windows Media Player will play them but it doesn't split the videos the way it does on DVD players. Can anyone suggest a good way of doing this? Can anyone explain why it won't play these DVDs like it
    does things I buy, but all DVD players I've put them in play them just fine with
    no problems bringing up the menu like they're supposed to?

Windows Media Player is not recognizizing the DVD format, for whatever
    reason. I suspect a different layer (e. g. VLC) would work. VOB files are
    just MPEG2 video files, BTW.
    --
    Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read John Grant's book, Corrupted Science: http://a.co/9UsUoGu
    Dedicated to ... Carl Fink!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)