• PCH (CA1)

From swingcha@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 26 15:21:45 2019
    While looking for something else, I found this on Trip Advisor. If you go to this URL < https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k1398209-o10-PCH_it_is-San_Francisco_California.html >, the following are the 8th and 12th posts.

8. Re: PCH it is!!
    … if you truly want to engage SwingCha in a battle of wits and symantics, I'm afraid I'll have to abandon your crusade and leave you to your own devices. Just think of SwingCha as that grumpy but oddly endearing curmudgeon who happens to know more than
    anyone else and is always willing to let us know so.

12. Re: PCH it is!!

The following was sent via http://petergreenberg.com/

[This will be made public.]

OK. I calm'd down, read your article, and reënraged. If this example of your work is typical, you have the wrong job!

Sir, you have so much wrong in your article "How to ride along the Pacific Coast Highway" that I sha'n't trust anything you write about places about which I'm ignorant because the evidence is that you probably are, too.

Let me focus it for you by asking if it would be correct to call the Hollywood Freeway (101) the Ventura Freeway (101) or the Bayshore Freeway (101) or the Redwood Highway (101)? If your answer is "No!", then you have a chance of understanding the
    following:

You allege that you took a «drive north along the ocean» that included «the 139-mile section from Monterey to Morro Bay»

I don't believe you actually did it: taking a drive North, it's Morro Bay to Monterey! According to the California State Automobile Association, the distance is 119 miles. My car's odometer reports 128 miles. Monterey to San Luís Obispo is about 139
    miles. It appears you didn't know where you were because you weren't there.

«The PCH . . . ends at U.S. 101 in Leggett in Mendocino County.»

Thoroughly, completely, legally, culturally, absolutely, and demonstrably wrong!

«The PCH can get crowded. In Los Angeles County more than 78,000 people are on the road every day. At its starting point in Dana Point, only 38,000 people use the PCH. But in Monterey, it jumps to 84,000, and 86,000 in San Francisco.»

Wrong! There is no use of the PCH in Monterey or San Francisco as it doesn't exist.

«The PCH passes vineyards and agricultural lands»

I cannot remember having seen any along the PCH. Where are they?

«One of the best stretches of the PCH is located on the Central Coast.»

The only PCH on the Central Coast is a street in or near Pismo Beach named "Pacific Coast Highway" that's approximately parallel to the highway Cabrillo/El Camino Real.

«Drivers are often so amazed by the views and vistas of the PCH that they don’t stop to experience nature.»

I doubt it. It's mostly congested, as you pointed out, and heavily urban.

«Several wine areas are located along the PCH, including Mendocino, Santa Cruz, Monterey, San Luis Obispo and Sonoma counties.»

The PCH does not extend to those counties.

«heading north on the PCH, if you turn left on Carmel Valley Road»

First, the PCH doesn't exist there. If it did, you could not turn left on Carmel Valley Road as it ends at the Cabrillo Highway and is, travelling North, to the right of it.

We can discuss opinions infinitum. But facts are irrefutable. You could have easily created a factual document. You chose to expose yourself as either a liar, saying you took a trip you did not, or an irresponsibly careless blatherer with whom "
    journalist" ought never be associated.

You're welcome.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)