• Is Timothy Hill around?

From Tim@newtonbridge.com@21:1/5 to amazingr...@gmail.com on Sat Aug 8 16:29:16 2015
    On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 12:33:34 AM UTC-4, amazingr...@gmail.com wrote:

Wow, Tim. Thanks. Don't know how I missed this for all these years, but a 16-year belated thank you is better than none at all, right?

Thanks!
    Mark

Yup, still around.

You're welcome!

Tim

On Wednesday, 13 January 1999 03:00:00 UTC-5, Timothy N. Hill wrote:

Mark Gross wrote:

... If you're around, Tim, could you please send me that list of quotes >from your signature (baseball umpiring)...

Here you go:

"Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball,
    the rules and realities of the game--and do it by watching first some high school or small-town teams."
    - Jacques Barzun

"We all love to instruct, though we can teach only what is not worth knowing."
    - Elizabeth Bennet

"99 Reasons Why Baseball Is Better Than Football ... 81. Football players, somewhere back in their phylogenic development, learned how to talk like football coaches. ('Our goals this week were to contain Dickerson and control
    the line of scrimmage.') Baseball players say things like, 'This pitcher's so
    bad that when he comes in, the grounds crew drags the warning track.'"
    - Thomas Boswell

"Let me tell you something, son,
    Before you get much older.
    You cannot hit the ball, my friend,
    With the bat upon your shoulder." - Bill "Lord" Byron, The Singing Umpire

"Sometimes I have this fantasy: The manager's been popping off all day and his
    team's just blown a big lead. I call time and walk over to the dugout and say
    very politely, 'Excuse me, sir. Your second baseman just booted one with the
    bases loaded.'" - Nestor Chylak, umpire

"They expect an umpire to be perfect on opening day and to improve as the season goes on."
    - Nestor Chylak, inter alia

"You [umpires] are just like politicians. You're never right."
    - Gerald Ford

"One of the really wrong theories about officiating is that a good official is
    one you never notice. The umpire who made that statement was probably a real
    poor official who tried to get his paycheck and hide behind his partners and
    stay out of trouble all his life. *Control* of the ballgame is the difference
    between umpires that shows up for the players and the managers."
    - Bruce Froemming, umpire

"Baseball fits America well because ... it expresses our longing for the rule
    of law while licensing our resentment of law givers."
    - Bart Giamatti

"When I am right, no one remembers. When I am wrong, no one forgets."
    - Doug Harvey, umpire

"It ain't nothing till I call it."
    - Bill Klem, umpire

"Gentlemen, he was out because I said he was out."
    - Bill Klem, umpire

"In my heart, I never called one wrong."
    - Bill Klem, umpire

"The day has dawned to hear again
    the happiest words in sport--
    Not 'Touchdown!' 'Home run!' 'Goal!' or 'Score!'--
    but 'Pitchers and catchers report.'" - Bill Littlefield

"Umpiring is best described as the profession of standing between two seven year olds with one ice cream cone."
    - Ron Luciano

"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the
    abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can
    only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist."
    - Bob Uecker

"Umpires should be natural Republicans--dead to human feelings."
    - George Will

- Tim

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)