• 650 Skimmer - My first sled!

From chivalryalive@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 10 19:10:38 2022
    I was 15 yrs and all my friends around the small lake in W Michigan had sleds. I wanted one too but I only had a small budget to work with. I hit the for sale ads in the local paper. I found the "1972 Evinrude, 650 Skimmer, so many dollars..." I wasn't
    happy with the prospect. One of my buddies had a couple Johnson sleds and they weren't very attractive. But I knew I didn't have much choice. I had little cash and I just wanted to ride with my buddies... Even if they would probably leave me in their
    tracks. Went out to see it and was amazed at what I saw! It was obviously old, very dusty and all the decals had faded off the machine... But with just a couple pulls of the cord - It fired right up! I bought it right then and took it home and started
    working on it... (That's when I discovered it was actually a '74!) I tore the whole thing down, piece by piece and proceeded to clean, lube, repair and repaint everything as I put it together again. Including a matching helmet! It had no speedometer and
    I never timed it alongside any of my friends Kawasaki or Polaris sleds... but it was pretty darn fast! It handled well enough as far as I knew --I had nothing to compare it to... But I loved that sled! It looked like a real queen and ran like a knight!
    Don't know why... but dad replaced it a year later with a 1980 John Deere 440 Liquifire. Painted my helmet to match once more... and we made quite a sight!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From kewx@21:1/5 to chivalryalive on Tue Jan 11 10:49:26 2022
    On Monday, January 10, 2022 at 9:10:39 PM UTC-6, chivalryalive wrote:
    I was 15 yrs and all my friends around the small lake in W Michigan had sleds. I wanted one too but I only had a small budget to work with. I hit the for sale ads in the local paper. I found the "1972 Evinrude, 650 Skimmer, so many dollars..." I wasn't
    happy with the prospect. One of my buddies had a couple Johnson sleds and they weren't very attractive. But I knew I didn't have much choice. I had little cash and I just wanted to ride with my buddies... Even if they would probably leave me in their
    tracks. Went out to see it and was amazed at what I saw! It was obviously old, very dusty and all the decals had faded off the machine... But with just a couple pulls of the cord - It fired right up! I bought it right then and took it home and started
    working on it... (That's when I discovered it was actually a '74!) I tore the whole thing down, piece by piece and proceeded to clean, lube, repair and repaint everything as I put it together again. Including a matching helmet! It had no speedometer and
    I never timed it alongside any of my friends Kawasaki or Polaris sleds... but it was pretty darn fast! It handled well enough as far as I knew --I had nothing to compare it to... But I loved that sled! It looked like a real queen and ran like a knight!
    Don't know why... but dad replaced it a year later with a 1980 John Deere 440 Liquifire. Painted my helmet to match once more... and we made quite a sight!
    //////////////////////////////

My first sled was a 1990 Exciter.....I forgot to tell my ex-wife I bought it. When she found out, she filed for divorce which I lost. I now pay $100. alimony for life but only $600. per week because I negotiated Sunday off to go sledding..........

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)