• Brunswick vs. AMF Playmaster table: pros and cons?

From David Lindenmuth@21:1/5 to Pisqueeter on Fri Feb 5 15:03:02 2021
    On Saturday, March 27, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Pisqueeter wrote:
    I am considering the purchase of a home (4' x 8') pool table but have found little information on the relative merits, in terms of construction and playability, of the various manufacturers. I am currently looking at AMF Playmaster and Brunswick tables, but have received (naturally) different stories from the two different salesmen. Its hard to determine what is marketing hype and what is reality. Looks are not that important, nor are differences between various models -- just the differences between the manufacturers.
    Some of the issues were:
    (a) Italian slate (AMF) vs. Brazilian slate
    (b) Brunswick tables are used in 70% of all tournaments, but is this true and are a lot of these tournaments sponsored by Brunswick?
    (c) Which has the better cushions, Brunswick's Superspeed cushions or AMF's. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have been shooting pool for a long time and have shot on both. I have also recovered, installed, and moved them. I like the old Brunswick tables better than AMF. They were built to last and won't move once settled in, as they are very sturdy. In my
    opinion, if you can find an old used Brunswick, you will be better off. They also retain their value better than most. Another alternative would be Olhausen. They are not in many tournaments, but they are built good, play well, and have lively rails.
    That being said, I still prefer the older Brunswick tables. Something like the Gold Crown, which is widely used in older pool halls. Good luck.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From David Lindenmuth@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 5 15:01:03 2021
    On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 at 5:31:52 PM UTC-7, wrote:
    On Saturday, March 27, 1999 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Pisqueeter wrote:
    I am considering the purchase of a home (4' x 8') pool table but have found
    little information on the relative merits, in terms of construction and playability, of the various manufacturers. I am currently looking at AMF Playmaster and Brunswick tables, but have received (naturally) different stories from the two different salesmen. Its hard to determine what is marketing hype and what is reality. Looks are not that important, nor are differences between various models -- just the differences between the manufacturers.

Some of the issues were:
    (a) Italian slate (AMF) vs. Brazilian slate
    (b) Brunswick tables are used in 70% of all tournaments, but is this true and
    are a lot of these tournaments sponsored by Brunswick?
    (c) Which has the better cushions, Brunswick's Superspeed cushions or AMF's.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have been shooting pool for a long time and have shot on both. I have also recovered, installed, and moved them. I like the old Brunswick tables better than AMF. They were built to last and won't move once settled in, as they are very sturdy. In my
    opinion, if you can find an old used Brunswick, you will be better off. They also retain their value better than most. Another alternative would be Olhausen. They are not in many tournaments, but they are built good, play well, and have lively rails.
    That being said, I still prefer the older Brunswick tables. Something like the Gold Crown, which is widely used in older pool halls.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)