• Joe Morgan - "6, 2 and Even"

From tonyhikes@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Rocklin-Weare on Sat Feb 1 12:29:49 2020
    On Thursday, October 10, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Rocklin-Weare wrote:
    Okay Red Sox trivia experts, I need YOUR help. I am trying to track down
    the origins of an expression attributed to Joe Morgan of the 1988
    Red Sox. He would often use the expression, "6, 2 and even." I understand that Joe was a horse racing fan. There is some thought that this is the origins of the expression. I would love to know the origins of this expression. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Karen

It's a term that comes from figuring odds on a horse-race bet, very commonly heard at the track in the 1920s and '30s. In addition to Bogart's use, it is also quoted in the Damon Runyonese of the musical "Guys and Dolls."

I'm not sure what 6 and 2 refer to, but even means an even bet, no points either way. But the meaning of the whole term means "More likely than not" or "Clear favorite," etc. Hence the Bogart usage, "6, 2 and even they're selling you out, kid" means: "I'
    d bet the farm they're selling you out, kid."

Also, a decade or three later, ick Tracy, the detective in the newspaper comic strip of the same name, used the phrase to sign off when he was done speaking to HQ or another cop on his futuristic wrist-radio (yes, it actually kind of looked like an Apple
    watch). His sign-off was "Six, two and even - over and out." Not sure what that was about, but I'm guessing maybe some people began to understand the phrase as "All fine," "Coast is clear," "Hunky-dory,' etc. But that is strictly a guess. The betting
    odds origins I'm much more sure about.

Hope this is helpful.

Six, two and even - over and out.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)