• =?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=98Real_football=E2=80=99=3A_Aussie_Hollywood_star_deli

From Morrissey Breen@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 17 01:38:29 2023
    ‘Real football’: Aussie Hollywood star delivers Super Bowl sledge and AFL reveal
    https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/cate-blanchett-calls-afl-real-football-in-savage-super-bowl-swipe/news-story/2ea174cb9a4cc0aa19ec654460dfbe8c

Till 2025! May inks new Dees deal | 00:53
    Andrew McMurtry from News.com.au
    February 15th, 2023 6:04 pm
    Aussie Hollywood A-lister Cate Blanchett has once again shown you can take the woman out of Australia, but you can’t take the Australia out of the woman.

A two-time Oscar winner, who is chasing her third after her nomination for Best Actress for her role in Tar, Blanchett is already known as one of the greatest actresses of her generation.

Watch every match of every round of the 2023 Toyota AFL Premiership Season LIVE on Kayo Sports. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >

Having been born in Melbourne and cut her chops on Australian stages, Blanchett shows she’s as Aussie as it comes.

Round 1
    Pointsbet
    AFL
    Mar 16 7:10pm AEST
    FT
    Melbourne
    Melbourne
    Bulldogs
    MATCH CENTRE
    *Odds are current as of 15th February 2023, 6:19pm AEST
    VIEW ALL SCORES
    AFL
    Mar 17 7:25pm AEST
    FT
    Carlton
    Richmond
    MATCH CENTRE
    VIEW ALL SCORES
    AFL
    Mar 18 7:50pm AEST
    FT
    St Kilda
    Collingwood
    MATCH CENTRE
    VIEW ALL SCORES
    AFL
    Mar 19 2:10pm AEST
    FT
    Geelong
    Essendon
    MATCH CENTRE
    VIEW ALL SCORES
    AFL
    Mar 19 5:10pm AEST
    FT
    Greater Western Sydney
    Sydney
    MATCH CENTRE
    VIEW ALL SCORES
    AFL
    Mar 19 8:10pm AEST
    FT
    Brisbane
    Port Adelaide
    MATCH CENTRE
    VIEW ALL SCORES
    AFL
    Mar 20 1:10pm AEST
    FT
    Hawthorn
    Hawthorn
    North Melbourne
    North Melbourne
    MATCH CENTRE
    VIEW ALL SCORES
    AFL
    Mar 20 4:10pm AEST
    FT
    Adelaide
    Adelaide
    Fremantle
    Fremantle
    MATCH CENTRE
    VIEW ALL SCORES
    AFL
    Mar 20 7:40pm AEST
    FT
    West Coast
    West Coast
    Gold Coast
    Gold Coast
    MATCH CENTRE
    VIEW ALL SCORES
    This is despite being one of the biggest names in Hollywood, moving from Oscar attracting movies such as Tar, The Aviator or Blue Jasmine to starring in blockbusters like Thor: Ragnarok, The Lord of the Rings or Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull, and
    living in England.

But the 53-year-old has shunned the soccer and gridiron brands of football, calling AFL “real football” on Jimmy Kimmel Live last night.

Cate Blanchett is talking Australia up. Photo: YouTube
    Cate Blanchett is talking Australia up. Photo: YouTube
    Source: YouTube

Cate Blanchett in full promo mode. Photo by Jerod Harris/Getty Images
    Cate Blanchett in full promo mode. Photo by Jerod Harris/Getty Images
    Source: Getty Images
    Kimmel asked Blanchett if she watched the Super Bowl.

“To be honest, it’s a gladiatorial sport, where I came from we have a football that’s Aussie rules, footy,” Blanchett began.

“They have a similar kind of ball except they don’t have the protection.”

Kimmel asked: “They don’t even have sleeves right?”

Blanchett: “They wear shorts and tank tops. And my uncle used to play professionally for Essendon. And my cousin played in Tasmania where it’s so hardcore they played on gravel.”

Kimmel: “Is that true?”

Blanchett: “Yeah. I mean the Super Bowl, they take a few hits, but you go to Tasmania and they play real football.”

Kimmel: “On gravel, that’s not kidding around.”

Blanchett: “They lose a lot of players but … it’s why the population’s really small.”

Kimmel said he believes Americans see Australian’s like the rest of the world sees Americans “that they’ve got a screw loose and are really flirting with danger at all times”.

“They’re out there, they’ve got no helmet’s on, they’re killing each other in the same way, they’re kicking a ball, they’re totally exposed,” Kimmel said.

Blanchett: “And the hole in the Ozone layer is right over Australia so it’s really, it a very very difficult game. So that was nothing last night Patrick.”

“Real football”. Photo by Daniel Carson/AFL Photos via Getty Images
    “Real football”. Photo by Daniel Carson/AFL Photos via Getty Images
    I think Patrick Mahomes will live. Photo by Carmen Mandato/Getty Images
    I think Patrick Mahomes will live. Photo by Carmen Mandato/Getty Images
    Aussies were loving the chat.

ABC’s Beth Newman tweeted: “Cate Blanchett and Tassie footy. A combo I never knew I needed in my life.”

ABC Broome’s Jessica Hayes wrote: “In the Kimberley, some people play and train on gravel ovals with bare feet (without even wincing) in remote communities. It’s kind of amazing.”

Pedestrian’s Cam Tyeson commented: “And she was right to do it. Hard as nails, that Blanchett. I’ve been saying it for years.”

The conversation quickly moved on to her eighth Oscar nomination but it comes as Blanchett admitted she would have to take a step away from acting after feeling drained and homesick for Australia.

In an interview with Vanity Fair she had been grappling with quitting acting all together.

“It’s not occasional — it’s continual,” Blanchett said in the magazine.

“On a daily or weekly basis, for sure. It’s a love affair, isn’t it? So you do fall in and out of love with it, and you have to be seduced back into it.”

With her free time, at least she’ll be able to catch some more “real football”.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)