• Rex Hunt condemned over Facebook rant targeting Daisy Pearce (Jul. 9, 2

From Morrissey Breen@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 8 14:18:16 2022
    https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/rex-hunt-condemned-over-facebook-rant-targeting-daisy-pearce/news-story/fd7b91291d5f151f04c7dd49dbdb4005

Rex Hunt condemned over Facebook rant targeting Daisy Pearce
    AFL great Rex Hunt has been heavily criticised by the football community after a Facebook tirade over the state of AFL commentary.
    3 min read
    July 9, 2022 - 6:32AM

Rex Hunt has been widely condemned after a Facebook rant was brought to light. Hunt’s comments took aim at the current state of AFL commentary boxes and how networks are supposedly pandering to have “equal genders”.

Watch every blockbuster AFL match this weekend Live & Ad-Break Free In-Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >

Hunt’s tirade came in response to a Facebook post by his friend John Locco who uploaded a side-by-side of Daisy Pearce and Wayne Carey with the caption: “Hey Days any chance we can hear from Wayne Carey tonight.”

Pearce, the former AFLW superstar, was recently put on the Friday night team alongside Hawthorn legend Luke Hodge in special comments with Carey relegated to the Saturday night crew.

“John … you are totally out of contact with modern football broadcasting.

“The air conveyance scientist who gave Carey the lemon to Saturday night on Channel Rex and gave Daisy … a wonderful lass. the main gig on Fridays is a gun.

“He.. I assume … was forced into such a weak gutted sit down and piss decision by pressure to have equal genders everywhere.

“We … you and I, came from an era that is only a memory now. Tough … relentless football. The game is a robotic, pre planned …. keeping’s off affair.

“The do gooders have won. Give me a week as Chief Commissioner John and I guarantee these bastards would not even think about looking sideways at law abiding citizens.

“Let alone roaming the streets. I probably don’t have the CV to say this … but I will.

“After 200 games on the field and over 2000 in the box …. broadcasting box that is … Wayne Carey to my mind is the best qualified comments man alongside Lethal (Leigh Matthews).

“Call me a fossil or whatever.

“But our game has been ruined by people who are making rules to appease soft penises. For gods sake … give us some biff.

“Give us some spice. And Daisy …. just let Carey say a few words … please.

If I had one bloke to play for my life …. The Ducks him.

“I want Carey to talk about that rough brave play.”

Hunt was approached by the Herald Sun regarding his comments, with the 202-game AFL player saying he wasn’t backing away from what he’d written.

“I’m glad that people are talking, I had to say it,’’ he said.

“Daisy is terrific and she’ll go coaching and I understand you’ve got to have a lady there but which bright spark at Channel 7 thought to get rid of (Carey) – he or she is wrong.”

The tirade from the player turned commentator had footy fans up in arms with many quick to condemn the remarks.

The Age’s Marnie Vinnall wrote: “There are so many bad takes in the afl but this one’s a real doozy, my god.”

The Herald Sun’s Lauren Wood wrote: ““I understand you’ve got to have a lady there.” Grew up loving listening to Rex but this is so far from *it* it’s not funny.”

Zero Digital Sports’ Nick Splitter wrote: “This may just possibly be THE WORST TAKE I’ve seen in a week full of terrible takes.”

Sport commentator Ralph Horowitz wrote: “Well Rex Hunt is right about Wayne Carey not being able to say enough during the Channel 7 coverage, but the problem obviously isn’t Daisy Pearce who is fantastic, but the format that still makes two callers
    the stars – ironically – doing outdated radio style.”

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)