• Does fencing cause meniscus tears?

From donaldbadowski@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 14 13:28:03 2016
    I started fencing in 1994. My first coach, Diana Unger told me to always lock out the knee of the back leg when lunging, to prevent damage to the meniscus. Don't let the knee unlock and drag downwards. I followed that advice for 22 years. 2 weeks ago I
    am fencing a friendly bout with some students at the high school I coach fencing at. I make a lunge and I feel this twinge on the inside of the back knee. Since then, nothing but pain from any twisting motion where weight is applied. Went to my ortho
    doctor yesterday to tell him all about it. From the x-rays he took, he can't tell if there is a tear, but he says if it isn't better in another two weeks to schedule an MRI. However, from my description, he says it certainly sounds like a tear to the
    meniscus. That means out-patient surgery and perhaps a month recovery time. Don Badowksi

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Zebee Johnstone@21:1/5 to donaldbadowski@gmail.com on Mon May 16 09:33:04 2016
    In rec.sport.fencing on Sat, 14 May 2016 13:28:03 -0700 (PDT) donaldbadowski@gmail.com <donaldbadowski@gmail.com> wrote:
    I started fencing in 1994. My first coach, Diana Unger told me to always lock out the knee of the back leg when lunging, to prevent damage to the meniscus. Don't let the knee unlock and drag downwards. I followed that advice for 22 years. 2 weeks ago I
    am fencing a friendly bout with some students at the high school I coach fencing at. I make a lunge and I feel this twinge on the inside of the back knee. Since then, nothing but pain from any twisting motion where weight is applied. Went to my ortho
    doctor yesterday to tell him all about it. From the x-rays he took, he can't tell if there is a tear, but he says if it isn't better in another two weeks to schedule an MRI. However, from my description, he says it certainly sounds like a tear to the
    meniscus. That means out-patient surgery and perhaps a month recovery time.

But how were you taught to recover?

I used to recover badly and it hurt my knee eventually. Any lurching
    or upward body on the recover rather than pulling with the back leg
    while keeping the hips level means that back knee is turned and gets
    pressure where it doesn't want it.

Zebee

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)