• Switching from Foil to Epee

From Rob Acree@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 14 16:16:03 2021
    Fencing parent here.

I have a son who has been fencing foil for 3 years. He loves the sport, looks forward to classes and wants to continue fencing into high school.

The fencing school recently gave everyone in his class the option to try Epee and switch to Epee if they want. He tried Epee for a month. He can't make up his mind on which one to pick - Foil or Epee. I asked him to pick what he enjoys the best but he
    likes both and cant make up his mind. He has to pick one now and stick to it (not a good idea to switch again).

Evil parent grin here :) , Does either Foil or Epee give a better chance at college admissions? If it does, I want to recommend that option to him.

Thank you!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Gary R. Schmidt@21:1/5 to Rob Acree on Sat May 15 13:35:42 2021
    On 15/05/2021 09:16, Rob Acree wrote:
    Fencing parent here.

I have a son who has been fencing foil for 3 years. He loves the sport, looks forward to classes and wants to continue fencing into high school.

The fencing school recently gave everyone in his class the option to try Epee and switch to Epee if they want. He tried Epee for a month. He can't make up his mind on which one to pick - Foil or Epee. I asked him to pick what he enjoys the best but he
    likes both and cant make up his mind. He has to pick one now and stick to it (not a good idea to switch again).

Evil parent grin here :) , Does either Foil or Epee give a better chance at college admissions? If it does, I want to recommend that option to him.

Thank you!

Why not keep doing both???

He can always pick up sabre as an adult.

Cheers,
    Gary B-)

--
    Waiting for a new signature to suggest itself...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rob Acree@21:1/5 to Gary R. Schmidt on Sat May 15 09:08:38 2021
    Thanks but he cant do both. Its 2 hours of daily training at the same time. He has to pick 1 or other and go to that class.
    Given he likes both equally, it boils down to
    - Does either Foil or Epee give a better chance at college admissions?
    - In either type is moving up to a higher rank easier?

Thanks

On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 8:39:04 PM UTC-7, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
    On 15/05/2021 09:16, Rob Acree wrote:
    Fencing parent here.

The fencing school recently gave everyone in his class the option to try Epee and switch to Epee if they want. He tried Epee for a month. He can't make up his mind on which one to pick - Foil or Epee. I asked him to pick what he enjoys the best but
    he likes both and cant make up his mind. He has to pick one now and stick to it (not a good idea to switch again).

Thank you!

Why not keep doing both???

He can always pick up sabre as an adult.

Cheers,
    Gary B-)

--
    Waiting for a new signature to suggest itself...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05