• OT: "Positively dystopian"

From Alan@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 17 14:10:05 2023
    I think I'm going to find a lot of use for that phrase!

'A federal judge in Florida on Thursday blocked a law pushed by Gov. Ron DeSantis that restricts certain race-based conversations and analysis in colleges.

Tallahassee U.S. District Judge Mark Walker issued a temporary
    injunction against the so-called “Stop Woke” act in a ruling that called the legislation “positively dystopian.”

The law prohibits teaching or business practices that contend members of
    one ethnic group are inherently racist and should feel guilt for past
    actions committed by others. It also bars the notion that a person’s
    status as privileged or oppressed is necessarily determined by their
    race or gender, or that discrimination is acceptable to achieve diversity.

“Our professors are critical to a healthy democracy, and the State of Florida’s decision to choose which viewpoints are worthy of illumination
    and which must remain in the shadows has implications for us all,”
    Walker wrote. “If our ‘priests of democracy’ are not allowed to shed light on challenging ideas, then democracy will die in darkness.'

<https://apnews.com/article/ron-desantis-florida-discrimination-business-racial-injustice-a6f340a48989e67669418e85f2986ebf>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From bruce bowser@21:1/5 to Alan on Sat Mar 25 12:49:03 2023
    On Friday, March 17, 2023 at 5:10:09 PM UTC-4, Alan wrote:
    I think I'm going to find a lot of use for that phrase!

'A federal judge in Florida on Thursday blocked a law pushed by Gov. Ron DeSantis that restricts certain race-based conversations and analysis in colleges.

Tallahassee U.S. District Judge Mark Walker issued a temporary
    injunction against the so-called “Stop Woke” act in a ruling that called the legislation “positively dystopian.”

The law prohibits teaching or business practices that contend members of
    one ethnic group are inherently racist and should feel guilt for past actions committed by others. It also bars the notion that a person’s status as privileged or oppressed is necessarily determined by their
    race or gender, or that discrimination is acceptable to achieve diversity.

“Our professors are critical to a healthy democracy, and the State of Florida’s decision to choose which viewpoints are worthy of illumination and which must remain in the shadows has implications for us all,”
    Walker wrote. “If our ‘priests of democracy’ are not allowed to shed light on challenging ideas, then democracy will die in darkness.'

<https://apnews.com/article/ron-desantis-florida-discrimination-business-racial-injustice-a6f340a48989e67669418e85f2986ebf>

I'm amazing that DeSantis actually has something in mind other than the Disney corporation. He must be wanting something to nibble-on after he loses the presidential run.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)