• 2024 men's Wimbledon final

From Whisper@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 14 21:26:47 2024
    Ok who do we want to win and who do we think will win?

I'll go 1st.

Want to win - Djokovic

Think will win - Alcarez

I'm a huge Carlos fan and think his ceiling is higher than any player
    I've seen in modern era, but Novak is very near the end and I want to
    see 25 slams to stand alone amongst all men and women. I also think
    Federer doesn't really deserve the stand alone Wimbledon king title
    given Novak is 3-0 in finals and better than Federer in absolute terms.
    Novak was unlucky to miss out on 2020 Wimbledon due to Covid etc. It
    would be fitting that Federer doesn't hold any tennis records given he
    played alongside Novak who was his superior.

So I'm pulling for Novak, but can't lose as Carlos is my man going
    forward : )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Scall5@21:1/5 to Whisper on Sun Jul 14 08:56:25 2024
    On 7/14/2024 6:26 AM, Whisper wrote:

I'll go 1st.

Want to win - Djokovic

Think will win - Alcarez

see 25 slams to stand alone amongst all men and women.  I also think
    Novak was unlucky to miss out on 2020 Wimbledon due to Covid etc.  It

I agree with all your points, Whisper.
    --
    ---------------
    Scall5

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to nospam@home.net on Sun Jul 14 16:34:18 2024
    Scall5 <nospam@home.net> Wrote in message:r
    On 7/14/2024 6:26 AM, Whisper wrote:> > > Ok who do we want to win and who do we think will win?> > I'll go 1st.> > > Want to win - Djokovic> > Think will win - Alcarez> > > I'm a huge Carlos fan and think his ceiling is higher than any player > I've
    seen in modern era, but Novak is very near the end and I want to > see 25 slams to stand alone amongst all men and women. I also think > Federer doesn't really deserve the stand alone Wimbledon king title > given Novak is 3-0 in finals and better than
    Federer in absolute terms. > Novak was unlucky to miss out on 2020 Wimbledon due to Covid etc. It > would be fitting that Federer doesn't hold any tennis records given he > played alongside Novak who was his superior.> > So I'm pulling for Novak, but
    can't lose as Carlos is my man going > forward : )I agree with all your points, Whisper.-- ---------------Scall5

I think person with most finals deserves titles record, barring some freak conversion rate.

Federer does have 12, and 8/12 is pretty solid.

Djokovic has "only" 10 so far. Even if you account for one COVID canceled Wimbledon, and give him that final, that's still not 12, it's 11 so I'd say Federer is still bit more deserving. And he might have played in that one as well, making it 13 for
    himself?

Djokovic never played worse, he's asleep. I'd say he choked this match away, similar to USO 2021.

He is prone to nerves. I'd have to rate Rafa as mentally stronger after all.

Djokovic thinks too much and I feel he came into this match thinking too much, and overthinking it.

Is it the history, or game plan against Alcaraz, but something was wrong imo.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 15 01:37:34 2024
    On 15/07/2024 12:34 am, *skriptis wrote:
    Scall5 <nospam@home.net> Wrote in message:r
    On 7/14/2024 6:26 AM, Whisper wrote:> > > Ok who do we want to win and who do we think will win?> > I'll go 1st.> > > Want to win - Djokovic> > Think will win - Alcarez> > > I'm a huge Carlos fan and think his ceiling is higher than any player > I've
    seen in modern era, but Novak is very near the end and I want to > see 25 slams to stand alone amongst all men and women. I also think > Federer doesn't really deserve the stand alone Wimbledon king title > given Novak is 3-0 in finals and better than
    Federer in absolute terms. > Novak was unlucky to miss out on 2020 Wimbledon due to Covid etc. It > would be fitting that Federer doesn't hold any tennis records given he > played alongside Novak who was his superior.> > So I'm pulling for Novak, but
    can't lose as Carlos is my man going > forward : )I agree with all your points, Whisper.-- ---------------Scall5

I think person with most finals deserves titles record, barring some freak conversion rate.

Federer does have 12, and 8/12 is pretty solid.

Djokovic has "only" 10 so far. Even if you account for one COVID canceled Wimbledon, and give him that final, that's still not 12, it's 11 so I'd say Federer is still bit more deserving. And he might have played in that one as well, making it 13 for
    himself?

Djokovic never played worse, he's asleep. I'd say he choked this match away, similar to USO 2021.

He is prone to nerves. I'd have to rate Rafa as mentally stronger after all.

Djokovic thinks too much and I feel he came into this match thinking too much, and overthinking it.

Is it the history, or game plan against Alcaraz, but something was wrong imo.

16 yr age difference - Novak is still top 2 or 3 really.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to Whisper on Sun Jul 14 17:47:55 2024
    Whisper <whisper@ozemail.com.au> Wrote in message:r
    On 15/07/2024 12:34 am, *skriptis wrote:> Scall5 <nospam@home.net> Wrote in message:r>> On 7/14/2024 6:26 AM, Whisper wrote:> > > Ok who do we want to win and who do we think will win?> > I'll go 1st.> > > Want to win - Djokovic> > Think will win -
    Alcarez> > > I'm a huge Carlos fan and think his ceiling is higher than any player > I've seen in modern era, but Novak is very near the end and I want to > see 25 slams to stand alone amongst all men and women. I also think > Federer doesn't really
    deserve the stand alone Wimbledon king title > given Novak is 3-0 in finals and better than Federer in absolute terms. > Novak was unlucky to miss out on 2020 Wimbledon due to Covid etc. It > would be fitting that Federer doesn't hold any tennis records
    given he > played alongside Novak who was his superior.> > So I'm pulling for Novak, but can't lose as Carlos is my man going > forward : )I agree with all your points, Whisper.-- ---------------Scall5> > > > I think person with most finals deserves
    titles record, barring some freak conversion rate.> > Federer does have 12, and 8/12 is pretty solid.> > Djokovic has "only" 10 so far. Even if you account for one COVID canceled Wimbledon, and give him that final, that's still not 12, it's 11 so I'd say
    Federer is still bit more deserving. And he might have played in that one as well, making it 13 for himself?> > > > Djokovic never played worse, he's asleep. I'd say he choked this match away, similar to USO 2021.> > He is prone to nerves. I'd have to
    rate Rafa as mentally stronger after all.> > Djokovic thinks too much and I feel he came into this match thinking too much, and overthinking it.> > Is it the history, or game plan against Alcaraz, but something was wrong imo.> > > > > 16 yr age
    difference - Novak is still top 2 or 3 really.

Good 3rd set, but what has happened to Djokovic to have such a cold start, awful.

Scorewise this feels like FO 2020, but in that one Djokovic played ok, even good and Nadal was fabulous. Nadal won 6-0 but each game was competitive.

That was not the case here, Djokovic looked as if he had sleeping pills in first two sets botching 15 easy volleys, etc.

Just lacked energy, so I'd have to say he choked the first two sets, and was outperformed in the third, naturally since Alcaraz had a cushion 2-0 lead to rely on and swing freely.

This one is to regret, not the last year's imo.

I
    --

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to PeteWasLucky on Mon Jul 15 02:06:08 2024
    On 15/07/2024 1:44 am, PeteWasLucky wrote:
    Ok who do we want to win and who do we think will win?I'll go 1st.Want to win - DjokovicThink will win - AlcarezI'm a huge Carlos fan and think his ceiling is higher than any player I've seen in modern era, but Novak is very near the end and I want to
    see 25 slams to stand alone amongst all men and women. I also think Federer doesn't really deserve the stand alone Wimbledon king title given Novak is 3-0 in finals and better than Federer in absolute terms. Novak was unlucky to miss out on 2020
    Wimbledon due to Covid etc. It would be fitting that Federer doesn't hold any tennis records given he played alongside Novak who was his superior.So I'm pulling for Novak, but can't lose as Carlos is my man going forward : )

How is Novak is very close to the end at 37 and he just won us open?

37 is the age limit for slam winners. Who won slams over 37?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 15 02:10:28 2024
    T24gMTUvMDcvMjAyNCAxOjQ3IGFtLCAqc2tyaXB0aXMgd3JvdGU6DQo+IFdoaXNwZXIgPHdo aXNwZXJAb3plbWFpbC5jb20uYXU+IFdyb3RlIGluIG1lc3NhZ2U6cg0KPj4gT24gMTUvMDcv MjAyNCAxMjozNCBhbSwgKnNrcmlwdGlzIHdyb3RlOj4gU2NhbGw1IDxub3NwYW1AaG9tZS5u ZXQ+IFdyb3RlIGluIG1lc3NhZ2U6cj4+IE9uIDcvMTQvMjAyNCA2OjI2IEFNLCBXaGlzcGVy IHdyb3RlOj4gPiA+IE9rIHdobyBkbyB3ZSB3YW50IHRvIHdpbiBhbmQgd2hvIGRvIHdlIHRo aW5rIHdpbGwgd2luPz4gPiBJJ2xsIGdvIDFzdC4+ID4gPiBXYW50IHRvIHdpbiAtIERqb2tv dmljPiA+IFRoaW5rIHdpbGwgd2luIC0gQWxjYXJlej4gPiA+IEknbSBhIGh1Z2UgQ2FybG9z IGZhbiBhbmQgdGhpbmsgaGlzIGNlaWxpbmcgaXMgaGlnaGVyIHRoYW4gYW55IHBsYXllciA+ IEkndmUgc2VlbiBpbiBtb2Rlcm4gZXJhLCBidXQgTm92YWsgaXMgdmVyeSBuZWFyIHRoZSBl bmQgYW5kIEkgd2FudCB0byA+IHNlZSAyNSBzbGFtcyB0byBzdGFuZCBhbG9uZSBhbW9uZ3N0 IGFsbCBtZW4gYW5kIHdvbWVuLiAgSSBhbHNvIHRoaW5rID4gRmVkZXJlciBkb2Vzbid0IHJl YWxseSBkZXNlcnZlIHRoZSBzdGFuZCBhbG9uZSBXaW1ibGVkb24ga2luZyB0aXRsZSA+IGdp dmVuIE5vdmFrIGlzIDMtMCBpbiBmaW5hbHMgYW5kIGJldHRlciB0aGFuIEZlZGVyZXIgaW4g YWJzb2x1dGUgdGVybXMuID4gTm92YWsgd2FzIHVubHVja3kgdG8gbWlzcyBvdXQgb24gMjAy MCBXaW1ibGVkb24gZHVlIHRvIENvdmlkIGV0Yy4gIEl0ID4gd291bGQgYmUgZml0dGluZyB0 aGF0IEZlZGVyZXIgZG9lc24ndCBob2xkIGFueSB0ZW5uaXMgcmVjb3JkcyBnaXZlbiBoZSA+ IHBsYXllZCBhbG9uZ3NpZGUgTm92YWsgd2hvIHdhcyBoaXMgc3VwZXJpb3IuPiA+IFNvIEkn bSBwdWxsaW5nIGZvciBOb3ZhaywgYnV0IGNhbid0IGxvc2UgYXMgQ2FybG9zIGlzIG15IG1h biBnb2luZyA+IGZvcndhcmQgOiApSSBhZ3JlZSB3aXRoIGFsbCB5b3VyIHBvaW50cywgV2hp c3Blci4tLSAtLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS1TY2FsbDU+ID4gPiA+IEkgdGhpbmsgcGVyc29uIHdp dGggbW9zdCBmaW5hbHMgZGVzZXJ2ZXMgdGl0bGVzIHJlY29yZCwgYmFycmluZyBzb21lIGZy ZWFrIGNvbnZlcnNpb24gcmF0ZS4+ID4gRmVkZXJlciBkb2VzIGhhdmUgMTIsIGFuZCA4LzEy IGlzIHByZXR0eSBzb2xpZC4+ID4gRGpva292aWMgaGFzICJvbmx5IiAxMCBzbyBmYXIuIEV2 ZW4gaWYgeW91IGFjY291bnQgZm9yIG9uZSBDT1ZJRCBjYW5jZWxlZCBXaW1ibGVkb24sIGFu ZCBnaXZlIGhpbSB0aGF0IGZpbmFsLCB0aGF0J3Mgc3RpbGwgbm90IDEyLCBpdCdzIDExIHNv IEknZCBzYXkgRmVkZXJlciBpcyBzdGlsbCBiaXQgbW9yZSBkZXNlcnZpbmcuIEFuZCBoZSBt aWdodCBoYXZlIHBsYXllZCBpbiB0aGF0IG9uZSBhcyB3ZWxsLCBtYWtpbmcgaXQgMTMgZm9y IGhpbXNlbGY/PiA+ID4gPiBEam9rb3ZpYyBuZXZlciBwbGF5ZWQgd29yc2UsIGhlJ3MgYXNs ZWVwLiBJJ2Qgc2F5IGhlIGNob2tlZCB0aGlzIG1hdGNoIGF3YXksIHNpbWlsYXIgdG8gVVNP IDIwMjEuPiA+IEhlIGlzIHByb25lIHRvIG5lcnZlcy4gSSdkIGhhdmUgdG8gcmF0ZSBSYWZh IGFzIG1lbnRhbGx5IHN0cm9uZ2VyIGFmdGVyIGFsbC4+ID4gRGpva292aWMgdGhpbmtzIHRv byBtdWNoIGFuZCBJIGZlZWwgaGUgY2FtZSBpbnRvIHRoaXMgbWF0Y2ggdGhpbmtpbmcgdG9v IG11Y2gsIGFuZCBvdmVydGhpbmtpbmcgaXQuPiA+IElzIGl0IHRoZSBoaXN0b3J5LCBvciBn YW1lIHBsYW4gYWdhaW5zdCBBbGNhcmF6LCBidXQgc29tZXRoaW5nIHdhcyB3cm9uZyBpbW8u PiA+ID4gPiA+IDE2IHlyIGFnZSBkaWZmZXJlbmNlIC0gTm92YWsgaXMgc3RpbGwgdG9wIDIg b3IgMyByZWFsbHkuDQo+IA0KPiANCj4gDQo+IEdvb2QgM3JkIHNldCwgYnV0IHdoYXQgaGFz IGhhcHBlbmVkIHRvIERqb2tvdmljIHRvIGhhdmUgc3VjaCBhIGNvbGQgc3RhcnQsIGF3ZnVs Lg0KPiANCj4gU2NvcmV3aXNlIHRoaXMgZmVlbHMgbGlrZSBGTyAyMDIwLCBidXQgaW4gdGhh dCBvbmUgRGpva292aWMgcGxheWVkIG9rLCBldmVuIGdvb2QgYW5kIE5hZGFsIHdhcyBmYWJ1 bG91cy4gTmFkYWwgd29uIDYtMCBidXQgZWFjaCBnYW1lIHdhcyBjb21wZXRpdGl2ZS4NCj4g DQo+IFRoYXQgd2FzIG5vdCB0aGUgY2FzZSBoZXJlLCBEam9rb3ZpYyBsb29rZWQgYXMgaWYg aGUgaGFkIHNsZWVwaW5nIHBpbGxzIGluIGZpcnN0IHR3byBzZXRzIGJvdGNoaW5nIDE1IGVh c3kgdm9sbGV5cywgZXRjLg0KPiANCj4gSnVzdCBsYWNrZWQgZW5lcmd5LCBzbyBJJ2QgaGF2 ZSB0byBzYXkgaGUgY2hva2VkIHRoZSBmaXJzdCB0d28gc2V0cywgYW5kIHdhcyBvdXRwZXJm b3JtZWQgaW4gdGhlIHRoaXJkLCBuYXR1cmFsbHkgc2luY2UgQWxjYXJheiBoYWQgYSBjdXNo aW9uIDItMCBsZWFkIHRvIHJlbHkgb24gYW5kIHN3aW5nIGZyZWVseS4NCj4gDQo+IA0KPiBU aGlzIG9uZSBpcyB0byByZWdyZXQsIG5vdCB0aGUgbGFzdCB5ZWFyJ3MgaW1vLg0KPiANCj4g DQo+IA0KPg0KDQoNCkknZCByZWdyZXQgbGFzdCB5ZWFyIG1vcmUuICBIZSBjb3VsZCBlYXNp bHkgaGF2ZSBsZWQgMiBzZXRzIHRvIDAgYW5kIA0KanVzdCBiYXJlbHkgbG9zdCA0LTYgaW4g NXRoLiAgVG9kYXkgaGUgbmV2ZXIgbG9va2VkIGxpa2Ugd2lubmluZy4gIFdvdWxkIA0KaGF2 ZSBiZWVuIGludGVyZXN0aW5nIHRvIHNlZSBob3cgNHRoIHNldCB3b3VsZCBoYXZlIGdvbmUs ICBtYXliZSBDYXJsb3MgDQp0aWdodGVucyB1cCB0aGlua2luZyBhYm91dCB0aGUgMyBtcCdz IGhlIGxvc3QgYXQgNDAtMD8NCg0KQ2FybG9zIHdhcyB2ZXJ5IGNsb3NlIHRvIGxvc2luZyB0 byBUaWFmb2UgaGVyZSBzbyBJIHdvdWxkbid0IHdyaXRlIE5vdmFrIA0Kb2ZmIGZvciBVU08g anVzdCB5ZXQuICBJIGhhdmUgYSBmZWVsaW5nIGhlIG1heSB3aW4gaGlzIDI1dGggdGhlcmUu DQoNCg==

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TT@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 14 19:12:09 2024
    Whisper kirjoitti 14.7.2024 klo 14.26:

I'll go 1st.

Want to win - Djokovic

Think will win - Alcarez

Novak was unlucky to miss out on 2020 Wimbledon due to Covid etc.  It

Don't worry about Federer... Alkie can win 8 W titles too....

Anyway's congrats for the new Channel Slam champ. Djokovic was far from
    his best but Carlos had lots to do with it. Unstoppable the first two
    sets and would have taken 3rd easily too if he wasn't a hopeless choker. :)

Ok, not very bad choke if you can correct it on the TB.

Maybe the "real final" was SF against Meds?

Vamos!

-

Also, as a side note... congrats to Krejcikova too... whose last loss on
    grass was at Eastbourne to someone called Leylah Fernandez. I guess
    Paolini did a Channel Finalist Slam... quite a surprise her sudden rise
    at age of 28. Late bloomer I guess.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scall5@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 14 11:17:02 2024
    On 7/14/2024 11:12 AM, TT wrote:

I'll go 1st.

Want to win - Djokovic

Think will win - Alcarez

given Novak is 3-0 in finals and better than Federer in absolute
    terms. Novak was unlucky to miss out on 2020 Wimbledon due to Covid
    etc.  It would be fitting that Federer doesn't hold any tennis records
    given he played alongside Novak who was his superior.

Anyway's congrats for the new Channel Slam champ. Djokovic was far from
    his best but Carlos had lots to do with it. Unstoppable the first two
    sets and would have taken 3rd easily too if he wasn't a hopeless choker. :)

Vamos!

-

Also, as a side note... congrats to Krejcikova too... whose last loss on grass was at Eastbourne to someone called Leylah Fernandez. I guess
    Paolini did a Channel Finalist Slam... quite a surprise her sudden rise
    at age of 28. Late bloomer I guess.

Channel Slam, a win for the ages!
    --
    ---------------
    Scall5

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TT@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 14 19:25:21 2024
    Scall5 kirjoitti 14.7.2024 klo 19.17:

I'll go 1st.

Want to win - Djokovic

Think will win - Alcarez

given Novak is 3-0 in finals and better than Federer in absolute
    terms. Novak was unlucky to miss out on 2020 Wimbledon due to Covid
    etc.  It would be fitting that Federer doesn't hold any tennis
    records given he played alongside Novak who was his superior.

Anyway's congrats for the new Channel Slam champ. Djokovic was far
    from his best but Carlos had lots to do with it. Unstoppable the first
    two sets and would have taken 3rd easily too if he wasn't a hopeless
    choker. :)

Vamos!

-

Also, as a side note... congrats to Krejcikova too... whose last loss
    on grass was at Eastbourne to someone called Leylah Fernandez. I guess
    Paolini did a Channel Finalist Slam... quite a surprise her sudden
    rise at age of 28. Late bloomer I guess.

Well, it used to be. Nowadays everybody does it...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TT@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 14 19:35:53 2024
    TT kirjoitti 14.7.2024 klo 19.25:

I'll go 1st.

Want to win - Djokovic

Think will win - Alcarez

I'm a huge Carlos fan and think his ceiling is higher than any
    player I've seen in modern era, but Novak is very near the end and I
    want to see 25 slams to stand alone amongst all men and women.  I
    also think Federer doesn't really deserve the stand alone Wimbledon
    king title given Novak is 3-0 in finals and better than Federer in
    absolute terms. Novak was unlucky to miss out on 2020 Wimbledon due
    to Covid etc.  It would be fitting that Federer doesn't hold any
    tennis records given he played alongside Novak who was his superior.

from his best but Carlos had lots to do with it. Unstoppable the
    first two sets and would have taken 3rd easily too if he wasn't a
    hopeless choker. :)

Vamos!

-

Also, as a side note... congrats to Krejcikova too... whose last loss
    on grass was at Eastbourne to someone called Leylah Fernandez. I
    guess Paolini did a Channel Finalist Slam... quite a surprise her
    sudden rise at age of 28. Late bloomer I guess.

Then again the Open Era list is quite impressive...

Laver, Borg, Nadal, Federer, Djokovic... Alcaraz is not in bad company!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scall5@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 14 11:42:38 2024
    On 7/14/2024 11:35 AM, TT wrote:

I'll go 1st.

Want to win - Djokovic

Think will win - Alcarez

I'm a huge Carlos fan and think his ceiling is higher than any
    player I've seen in modern era, but Novak is very near the end and
    I want to see 25 slams to stand alone amongst all men and women.  I >>>>> also think Federer doesn't really deserve the stand alone Wimbledon
    king title given Novak is 3-0 in finals and better than Federer in
    absolute terms. Novak was unlucky to miss out on 2020 Wimbledon due
    to Covid etc.  It would be fitting that Federer doesn't hold any
    tennis records given he played alongside Novak who was his superior. >>>>>

from his best but Carlos had lots to do with it. Unstoppable the
    first two sets and would have taken 3rd easily too if he wasn't a
    hopeless choker. :)

Vamos!

-

Also, as a side note... congrats to Krejcikova too... whose last
    loss on grass was at Eastbourne to someone called Leylah Fernandez.
    I guess Paolini did a Channel Finalist Slam... quite a surprise her
    sudden rise at age of 28. Late bloomer I guess.

Indeed!
    --
    ---------------
    Scall5

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to Whisper on Sun Jul 14 19:05:05 2024
    Whisper <whisper@ozemail.com.au> Wrote in message:
    I'd regret last year more. He could easily have led 2 sets to 0 and just barely lost 4-6 in 5th.

I hate to counter it for the sake of countering.

Of course he was closer last year, but last year's "regrets" are stuff like "two lousy backhands in 2nd set tie-break" or "missed forehand drive on a break point in 5th set".

That's not a lot.

Can you really regret for playing a 98% perfect match and not 99%?

Generally? Likewise, is there a lot to analyze there?

I don't think so.

Today he never looked like winning. Would have been interesting to see how 4th set would have gone, maybe Carlos tightens up thinking about the 3 mp's he lost at 40-0?Carlos was very close to losing to Tiafoe here so I wouldn't write Novak off for USO
    just yet. I have a feeling he may win his 25th there.

He wasn't close to winning at all, but he basically gifted away first two sets by not even showing up. That's something to regret imo. He played his worst two sets of the tournament in the final in the first two sets.

It's a huge question for him to ask himself why.
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to PeteWasLucky on Mon Jul 15 18:01:21 2024
    On 15/07/2024 2:51 am, PeteWasLucky wrote:
    On 15/07/2024 1:44 am, PeteWasLucky wrote:> Whisper <whisper@ozemail.com.au> Wrote in message:r>> Ok who do we want to win and who do we think will win?I'll go 1st.Want to win - DjokovicThink will win - AlcarezI'm a huge Carlos fan and think his
    ceiling is higher than any player I've seen in modern era, but Novak is very near the end and I want to see 25 slams to stand alone amongst all men and women. I also think Federer doesn't really deserve the stand alone Wimbledon king title given Novak
    is 3-0 in finals and better than Federer in absolute terms. Novak was unlucky to miss out on 2020 Wimbledon due to Covid etc. It would be fitting that Federer doesn't hold any tennis records given he played alongside Novak who was his superior.So I'm
    pulling for Novak, but can't lose as Carlos is my man going forward : )> > How is Novak is very close to the end at 37 and he just won us open?> > 37 is the age limit for slam winners. Who won slams over 37?

Are you saying age matters?

Also, is it sudden death at 37?

Used to be 26 in Federer era ; )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 15 18:08:35 2024
    On 15/07/2024 3:05 am, *skriptis wrote:
    I'd regret last year more. He could easily have led 2 sets to 0 and just barely lost 4-6 in 5th.

Of course he was closer last year, but last year's "regrets" are stuff like "two lousy backhands in 2nd set tie-break" or "missed forehand drive on a break point in 5th set".

That's not a lot.

I don't think so.

Today he never looked like winning. Would have been interesting to see how 4th set would have gone, maybe Carlos tightens up thinking about the 3 mp's he lost at 40-0?Carlos was very close to losing to Tiafoe here so I wouldn't write Novak off for
    USO just yet. I have a feeling he may win his 25th there.

He wasn't close to winning at all, but he basically gifted away first two sets by not even showing up. That's something to regret imo. He played his worst two sets of the tournament in the final in the first two sets.

It's similar to his loss to Sinner at AO - lost 1st 2 sets easily then
    mounted a little fightback before losing in 4. I think age is a big part
    of it - Novak wants to warm his way into the match but the young guns
    are coming out firing. I think thrashings are easier to accept than
    having a lot of chances to win critical points, like Vekic in semis.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 15 18:00:31 2024
    On 15/07/2024 2:35 am, TT wrote:

Charlie is the youngest to do it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to The Iceberg on Tue Jul 16 01:31:36 2024
    On 16/07/2024 1:22 am, The Iceberg wrote:
    On 14/07/2024 18:05, *skriptis wrote:

He wasn't close to winning at all, but he basically gifted away first
    two sets by not even showing up. That's something to regret imo. He
    played his worst two sets of the tournament in the final in the first
    two sets.

yes it looked like he didn't turn up, but doubt he needs to ask why, it
    was prob the pressure of playing Carlos level which he knows is better
    than his this year, especially with a strapped knee. Then he prob wasn't expecting a 14minute game to start. He was then made to run all over the court, whereas he used to doing that to others. Murray did this to
    Djoker, it must've been like that for him.

Novak doesn't need excuses, its amazing he made final at 37. More
    amazing is the fact he'd still prob beat anyone outside Alcaraz and
    Sinner. If you're top 3 in absolute terms you can still win a slam or 2
    with a couple breaks.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TT@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 16 01:42:47 2024
    The Iceberg kirjoitti 15.7.2024 klo 18.22:
    On 14/07/2024 18:05, *skriptis wrote:
    I'd regret last year more.  He could easily have led 2 sets to 0 and
    just barely lost 4-6 in 5th.

Of course he was closer last year, but last year's "regrets" are stuff
    like "two lousy backhands in 2nd set tie-break" or "missed forehand
    drive on a break point in 5th set".

That's not a lot.

I don't think so.

last year Djoker was playing at 100%, it just Alcaraz played better in
    the final set and Djoker messed up two shots.

Today he never looked like winning. Would have been interesting to
    see how 4th set would have gone,  maybe Carlos tightens up thinking
    about the 3 mp's he lost at 40-0?Carlos was very close to losing to
    Tiafoe here so I wouldn't write Novak off for USO just yet.  I have a
    feeling he may win his 25th there.

He wasn't close to winning at all, but he basically gifted away first
    two sets by not even showing up. That's something to regret imo. He
    played his worst two sets of the tournament in the final in the first
    two sets.

yes it looked like he didn't turn up, but doubt he needs to ask why, it
    was prob the pressure of playing Carlos level which he knows is better
    than his this year, especially with a strapped knee. Then he prob wasn't expecting a 14minute game to start. He was then made to run all over the court, whereas he used to doing that to others. Murray did this to
    Djoker, it must've been like that for him.

Djoke said in post match presser that Carlos did EVERYTHING better than
    him... that the loss was inevitable.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05