• Djokovic actually didn't take AO loss to Sinner that well

From *skriptis@21:1/5 to All on Thu Mar 28 07:21:59 2024
    He fired Ivanišević. Which I must say is a suprise as I never felt Ivanišević was his "coach", he was imo sort of a friend and entourage. He was there to provide emotional support and relieve stress for Djokovic.

Right or wrong, this means Djokovic is still highly motivated to improve, he feels ne needs some new additions to his game, basically feels he's losing ground.

Can he squeeze some more success out of himself?

Who do you think will be new coach?

Becker partnership was great, and Becker actually left Djokovic once he saw Novak's focus declining after NCYGS in 2016.

So Becker, as a coach isn't entirely used, perhaps he could make a comeback. But is he then the addition Djokovic would want? I doubt.

Some mentioned Lendl, not sure about that, there's no challenge for Lendl at this stage of Djokovic's career. Djokovic has got the records and his powers are waning. It won't be enjoyable or challenging for some new supercoach to coach him.

Lendl could have been a great asset much earlier, Lendl dealt with crowd hate much better imo and could have teached Djokovic a thing or two. Show them the fingle finger *all the time as a default*, not just when you feel it. Djokovic is more authentic,
    his acting on his emotions is true, but Lendl's principled position is much better I think.

Sampras was awesome but I'm not sure if he can convey anything of his own style to Djokovic.

In theory he'd need someone like himself. A huge champion who played well into his 30s and who knows what's that all about.

Federer and Nadal are not options, there's no one else who's remotely similar and it might be a wrong path anyway. There's nothing new that Djokovic can face so no point in looking for past greats.

He needs a tactical genius to squeeze out maximum out of him at this stage and that's all. Perhaps it does not need to be a former great player.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to jdeluise on Thu Mar 28 09:16:35 2024
    jdeluise <jdeluise@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
    I don't think he needs a coach. 99% of this is autopilot for him. How about Karlovic? He just officially retired. Maybe he could pump up Djok's serve and teach him a thing or two about keeping up motivation and physical fitness into the 40s.

Excellent choice!

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?Pelle_Svansl=C3=B6s?=@21:1/5 to All on Thu Mar 28 11:01:12 2024
    On 28.3.2024 8.21, *skriptis wrote:

He fired Ivanišević.

Ivanisevic has been shooting his trap for some time now. Maybe he had it coming. Anyway, like Courtsie used to say, he was basically Djok's caddie.

Federer and Nadal are not options,

I mean, really. Never hire a Fedfan as the CFO of your local Djok fan club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0vJNp5asqc&t=18s

He needs a tactical genius to squeeze out maximum out of him at this stage and that's all. Perhaps it does not need to be a former great player.

He's a granny now. He should be focusing on enjoying family life and the
    fruits of what he's accomplished. Maybe pick up knitting sweaters for
    the kids and have an affair or two on the side.

--
    "And off they went, from here to there,
    The bear, the bear, and the maiden fair"
    -- Traditional

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 29 00:29:58 2024
    On 28/03/2024 7:16 pm, *skriptis wrote:
    I don't think he needs a coach. 99% of this is autopilot for him. How about Karlovic? He just officially retired. Maybe he could pump up Djok's serve and teach him a thing or two about keeping up motivation and physical fitness into the 40s.

Excellent choice!

Karlo is a surprisingly good choice given his whole career he had the
    mentality of hanging in until the opportunity to use his (lone) strength presented itself. In a sense this is what Novak needs most now, just to survive long enough to win the match. Realistically he's a master of
    this already, but as some of his powers start to wane he'll need a
    different mindset. In a way Sampras would be a good model for him too.
    He's a guy who had his eye on the big prize at the end, often letting
    games go as a way to conserve energy over the long haul. Sampras also
    had to find a way to get motivated to win more slams even though he
    already held the record, a position Novak is in now.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 29 00:20:49 2024
    On 28/03/2024 5:21 pm, *skriptis wrote:

He fired Ivanišević. Which I must say is a suprise as I never felt Ivanišević was his "coach", he was imo sort of a friend and entourage. He was there to provide emotional support and relieve stress for Djokovic.

Right or wrong, this means Djokovic is still highly motivated to improve, he feels ne needs some new additions to his game, basically feels he's losing ground.

Can he squeeze some more success out of himself?

Who do you think will be new coach?

Becker partnership was great, and Becker actually left Djokovic once he saw Novak's focus declining after NCYGS in 2016.

So Becker, as a coach isn't entirely used, perhaps he could make a comeback. But is he then the addition Djokovic would want? I doubt.

Some mentioned Lendl, not sure about that, there's no challenge for Lendl at this stage of Djokovic's career. Djokovic has got the records and his powers are waning. It won't be enjoyable or challenging for some new supercoach to coach him.

Lendl could have been a great asset much earlier, Lendl dealt with crowd hate much better imo and could have teached Djokovic a thing or two. Show them the fingle finger *all the time as a default*, not just when you feel it. Djokovic is more authentic,
    his acting on his emotions is true, but Lendl's principled position is much better I think.

Sampras was awesome but I'm not sure if he can convey anything of his own style to Djokovic.

In theory he'd need someone like himself. A huge champion who played well into his 30s and who knows what's that all about.

Federer and Nadal are not options, there's no one else who's remotely similar and it might be a wrong path anyway. There's nothing new that Djokovic can face so no point in looking for past greats.

Novak at this stage should be aiming to win 1 more slam, so needs to
    take it slam by slam. I think 25 is the holy grail for him at this
    stage. No human has ever won 25 singles slams so he would be in a
    league of his own. Yes 24 is not much different, but symbolically he
    needs to actually push ahead of Margaret Court. She has stood on that
    mountain on her own for 50 years and it seemed an unbreakable record,
    but now she has company.

It's interesting that Margaret won her last slams in 1973, winning
    AO/FO/USO. So far Novak has won his last slams exactly 50 years later,
    winning the same 3 slams AO/FO/USO in 2023. Remarkably similar years,
    winning the same 3 slams to both get to the record 24. Novak just needs
    to put that cherry on top to finish off his goat career.

Now which slam would add most to his legacy?

AO - 11th title there would extend his lead over 6 time champs
    Emerson/Federer, and match Court's 11.

FO - would equal Graf as 4 time career slammer. Next best in men's game
    is 2 career slams (Laver, Emerson, Nadal) so 4 would be a big statement.

Wimbledon - would match Fed's 8 record, move past Sampras.

USO - 5th USO would match open era record of Connors/Sampras/Federer.
    11th USO final would edge past those guys as they made 7/8/6 finals respectively.

My choice would be 1 more Wimbledon, I'm guessing he'd choose same.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to The Iceberg on Fri Mar 29 00:34:17 2024
    On 28/03/2024 8:12 pm, The Iceberg wrote:
    On 28/03/2024 08:16, *skriptis wrote:
    I don't think he needs a coach. 99% of this is autopilot for him. How
    about Karlovic? He just officially retired. Maybe he could pump up
    Djok's serve and teach him a thing or two about keeping up motivation
    and physical fitness into the 40s.

Excellent choice!

yes or he could go outside of tennis and hire Michael Jordan or someone
    who's won tons of stuff.

Someone who won big titles after already being at the top. Sampras is
    his idol so would be nice for him to finish his career with Pete sitting
    in his box as his mentor. Doubt Sampras would entertain the idea, but
    would be nice if it could somehow happen : )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 29 00:32:14 2024
    On 28/03/2024 8:01 pm, Pelle Svanslös wrote:
    On 28.3.2024 8.21, *skriptis wrote:

He fired Ivanišević.

Ivanisevic has been shooting his trap for some time now. Maybe he had it coming. Anyway, like Courtsie used to say, he was basically Djok's caddie.

Federer and Nadal are not options,

I mean, really. Never hire a Fedfan as the CFO of your local Djok fan club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0vJNp5asqc&t=18s

He needs a tactical genius to squeeze out maximum out of him at this
    stage and that's all. Perhaps it does not need to be a former great
    player.

He's a granny now. He should be focusing on enjoying family life and the fruits of what he's accomplished. Maybe pick up knitting sweaters for
    the kids and have an affair or two on the side.

He's very close to that status now, just needs to find a way to get the
    25th slam, and he also wants Olympic gold. I think if he wins 1 slam
    and the gold this year his motivation for next year will drop off a cliff.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to Whisper on Thu Mar 28 15:42:14 2024
    Whisper <whisper@ozemail.com.au> Wrote in message:r
    On 28/03/2024 5:21 pm, *skriptis wrote:> > He fired Ivanišević. Which I must say is a suprise as I never felt Ivanišević was his "coach", he was imo sort of a friend and entourage. He was there to provide emotional support and relieve stress for
    Djokovic.> > Right or wrong, this means Djokovic is still highly motivated to improve, he feels ne needs some new additions to his game, basically feels he's losing ground.> > Can he squeeze some more success out of himself?> > Who do you think will be
    new coach?> > > Becker partnership was great, and Becker actually left Djokovic once he saw Novak's focus declining after NCYGS in 2016.> > So Becker, as a coach isn't entirely used, perhaps he could make a comeback. But is he then the addition Djokovic
    would want? I doubt.> > Some mentioned Lendl, not sure about that, there's no challenge for Lendl at this stage of Djokovic's career. Djokovic has got the records and his powers are waning. It won't be enjoyable or challenging for some new supercoach to
    coach him.> > Lendl could have been a great asset much earlier, Lendl dealt with crowd hate much better imo and could have teached Djokovic a thing or two. Show them the fingle finger *all the time as a default*, not just when you feel it. Djokovic is
    more authentic, his acting on his emotions is true, but Lendl's principled position is much better I think.> > Sampras was awesome but I'm not sure if he can convey anything of his own style to Djokovic.> > > In theory he'd need someone like himself. A
    huge champion who played well into his 30s and who knows what's that all about.> > Federer and Nadal are not options, there's no one else who's remotely similar and it might be a wrong path anyway. There's nothing new that Djokovic can face so no point
    in looking for past greats.> > > He needs a tactical genius to squeeze out maximum out of him at this stage and that's all. Perhaps it does not need to be a former great player.> Novak at this stage should be aiming to win 1 more slam, so needs to take
    it slam by slam. I think 25 is the holy grail for him at this stage. No human has ever won 25 singles slams so he would be in a league of his own. Yes 24 is not much different, but symbolically he needs to actually push ahead of Margaret Court. She
    has stood on that mountain on her own for 50 years and it seemed an unbreakable record, but now she has company.It's interesting that Margaret won her last slams in 1973, winning AO/FO/USO. So far Novak has won his last slams exactly 50 years later,
    winning the same 3 slams AO/FO/USO in 2023. Remarkably similar years, winning the same 3 slams to both get to the record 24. Novak just needs to put that cherry on top to finish off his goat career.Now which slam would add most to his legacy?AO - 11th
    title there would extend his lead over 6 time champs Emerson/Federer, and match Court's 11.FO - would equal Graf as 4 time career slammer. Next best in men's game is 2 career slams (Laver, Emerson, Nadal) so 4 would be a big statement.Wimbledon - would
    match Fed's 8 record, move past Sampras.USO - 5th USO would match open era record of Connors/Sampras/Federer. 11th USO final would edge past those guys as they made 7/8/6 finals respectively.My choice would be 1 more Wimbledon, I'm guessing he'd choose
    same.

Entertaining post.

Following 7543, Wimbledon is always the main goal.

But if you want the alternative, it's all about setting unbreakable records even if they're not at the most important event.

8 Wimbledon is not eternal imo.
    So what else would be eternal and unique?

11 AO (equals women's record, but 3 behind all time, all-sex Nadal's 14 FO, but another AO would mean 15 HC slam so gets the record for most titles at a single surface)

4 FO (equals Graf's quadruple CGS, twice as good as next best men)

8 Wim (equals Federer, but still behind Navratilova all-time all-sex record)

5 USO (equals Federer with min 5 at AO/Wim/USO and increases HC slam record to 15, setting surface record, ahead of Nadal)

It's really difficult to choose?

I'd say quadruple CGS is likely to last the longest, so that would be my preferred pick but Wimbledon is so taunting too. Or any HC slam.

Wow 🤪

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 29 02:41:49 2024
    T24gMjkvMDMvMjAyNCAxOjQyIGFtLCAqc2tyaXB0aXMgd3JvdGU6DQo+IFdoaXNwZXIgPHdo aXNwZXJAb3plbWFpbC5jb20uYXU+IFdyb3RlIGluIG1lc3NhZ2U6cg0KPj4gT24gMjgvMDMv MjAyNCA1OjIxIHBtLCAqc2tyaXB0aXMgd3JvdGU6PiA+IEhlIGZpcmVkIEl2YW5pxaFldmnE hy4gV2hpY2ggSSBtdXN0IHNheSBpcyBhIHN1cHJpc2UgYXMgSSBuZXZlciBmZWx0IEl2YW5p xaFldmnEhyB3YXMgaGlzICJjb2FjaCIsIGhlIHdhcyBpbW8gc29ydCBvZiBhIGZyaWVuZCBh bmQgIGVudG91cmFnZS4gSGUgd2FzIHRoZXJlIHRvIHByb3ZpZGUgZW1vdGlvbmFsIHN1cHBv cnQgYW5kIHJlbGlldmUgc3RyZXNzIGZvciBEam9rb3ZpYy4+ID4gUmlnaHQgb3Igd3Jvbmcs IHRoaXMgbWVhbnMgRGpva292aWMgaXMgc3RpbGwgaGlnaGx5IG1vdGl2YXRlZCB0byBpbXBy b3ZlLCBoZSBmZWVscyBuZSBuZWVkcyBzb21lIG5ldyBhZGRpdGlvbnMgdG8gaGlzIGdhbWUs IGJhc2ljYWxseSBmZWVscyBoZSdzIGxvc2luZyBncm91bmQuPiA+IENhbiBoZSBzcXVlZXpl IHNvbWUgbW9yZSBzdWNjZXNzIG91dCBvZiBoaW1zZWxmPz4gPiBXaG8gZG8geW91IHRoaW5r IHdpbGwgYmUgbmV3IGNvYWNoPz4gPiA+IEJlY2tlciBwYXJ0bmVyc2hpcCB3YXMgZ3JlYXQs IGFuZCBCZWNrZXIgYWN0dWFsbHkgbGVmdCBEam9rb3ZpYyBvbmNlIGhlIHNhdyBOb3Zhaydz IGZvY3VzIGRlY2xpbmluZyBhZnRlciBOQ1lHUyBpbiAyMDE2Lj4gPiBTbyBCZWNrZXIsIGFz IGEgY29hY2ggaXNuJ3QgZW50aXJlbHkgdXNlZCwgcGVyaGFwcyBoZSBjb3VsZCBtYWtlIGEg Y29tZWJhY2suIEJ1dCBpcyBoZSB0aGVuIHRoZSBhZGRpdGlvbiBEam9rb3ZpYyB3b3VsZCB3 YW50PyBJIGRvdWJ0Lj4gPiBTb21lIG1lbnRpb25lZCBMZW5kbCwgbm90IHN1cmUgYWJvdXQg dGhhdCwgdGhlcmUncyBubyBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgZm9yIExlbmRsIGF0IHRoaXMgc3RhZ2Ugb2Yg RGpva292aWMncyBjYXJlZXIuIERqb2tvdmljIGhhcyBnb3QgdGhlIHJlY29yZHMgYW5kIGhp cyBwb3dlcnMgYXJlIHdhbmluZy4gSXQgd29uJ3QgYmUgZW5qb3lhYmxlIG9yIGNoYWxsZW5n aW5nIGZvciBzb21lIG5ldyBzdXBlcmNvYWNoIHRvIGNvYWNoIGhpbS4+ID4gTGVuZGwgY291 bGQgaGF2ZSBiZWVuIGEgZ3JlYXQgYXNzZXQgbXVjaCBlYXJsaWVyLCBMZW5kbCBkZWFsdCB3 aXRoIGNyb3dkIGhhdGUgbXVjaCBiZXR0ZXIgaW1vIGFuZCBjb3VsZCBoYXZlIHRlYWNoZWQg RGpva292aWMgYSB0aGluZyBvciB0d28uIFNob3cgdGhlbSB0aGUgZmluZ2xlIGZpbmdlciAq YWxsIHRoZSB0aW1lIGFzIGEgZGVmYXVsdCosIG5vdCBqdXN0IHdoZW4geW91IGZlZWwgaXQu IERqb2tvdmljIGlzIG1vcmUgYXV0aGVudGljLCBoaXMgYWN0aW5nIG9uIGhpcyBlbW90aW9u cyBpcyB0cnVlLCBidXQgTGVuZGwncyBwcmluY2lwbGVkIHBvc2l0aW9uIGlzIG11Y2ggYmV0 dGVyIEkgdGhpbmsuPiA+IFNhbXByYXMgd2FzIGF3ZXNvbWUgYnV0IEknbSBub3Qgc3VyZSBp ZiBoZSBjYW4gY29udmV5IGFueXRoaW5nIG9mIGhpcyBvd24gc3R5bGUgdG8gRGpva292aWMu PiA+ID4gSW4gdGhlb3J5IGhlJ2QgbmVlZCBzb21lb25lIGxpa2UgaGltc2VsZi4gQSBodWdl IGNoYW1waW9uIHdobyBwbGF5ZWQgd2VsbCBpbnRvIGhpcyAzMHMgYW5kIHdobyBrbm93cyB3 aGF0J3MgdGhhdCBhbGwgYWJvdXQuPiA+IEZlZGVyZXIgYW5kIE5hZGFsIGFyZSBub3Qgb3B0 aW9ucywgdGhlcmUncyBubyBvbmUgZWxzZSB3aG8ncyByZW1vdGVseSBzaW1pbGFyIGFuZCBp dCBtaWdodCBiZSBhIHdyb25nIHBhdGggYW55d2F5LiBUaGVyZSdzIG5vdGhpbmcgbmV3IHRo YXQgRGpva292aWMgY2FuIGZhY2Ugc28gbm8gcG9pbnQgaW4gbG9va2luZyBmb3IgcGFzdCBn cmVhdHMuPiA+ID4gSGUgbmVlZHMgYSB0YWN0aWNhbCBnZW5pdXMgdG8gc3F1ZWV6ZSBvdXQg bWF4aW11bSBvdXQgb2YgaGltIGF0IHRoaXMgc3RhZ2UgYW5kIHRoYXQncyBhbGwuIFBlcmhh cHMgaXQgZG9lcyBub3QgbmVlZCB0byBiZSBhIGZvcm1lciBncmVhdCBwbGF5ZXIuPiBOb3Zh ayBhdCB0aGlzIHN0YWdlIHNob3VsZCBiZSBhaW1pbmcgdG8gd2luIDEgbW9yZSBzbGFtLCBz byBuZWVkcyB0byB0YWtlIGl0IHNsYW0gYnkgc2xhbS4gIEkgdGhpbmsgMjUgaXMgdGhlIGhv bHkgZ3JhaWwgZm9yIGhpbSBhdCB0aGlzIHN0YWdlLiAgTm8gaHVtYW4gaGFzIGV2ZXIgd29u IDI1IHNpbmdsZXMgc2xhbXMgc28gaGUgd291bGQgYmUgaW4gYSBsZWFndWUgb2YgaGlzIG93 bi4gIFllcyAyNCBpcyBub3QgbXVjaCBkaWZmZXJlbnQsIGJ1dCBzeW1ib2xpY2FsbHkgaGUg bmVlZHMgdG8gYWN0dWFsbHkgcHVzaCBhaGVhZCBvZiBNYXJnYXJldCBDb3VydC4gIFNoZSBo YXMgc3Rvb2Qgb24gdGhhdCBtb3VudGFpbiBvbiBoZXIgb3duIGZvciA1MCB5ZWFycyBhbmQg aXQgc2VlbWVkIGFuIHVuYnJlYWthYmxlIHJlY29yZCwgYnV0IG5vdyBzaGUgaGFzIGNvbXBh bnkuSXQncyBpbnRlcmVzdGluZyB0aGF0IE1hcmdhcmV0IHdvbiBoZXIgbGFzdCBzbGFtcyBp biAxOTczLCB3aW5uaW5nIEFPL0ZPL1VTTy4gIFNvIGZhciBOb3ZhayBoYXMgd29uIGhpcyBs YXN0IHNsYW1zIGV4YWN0bHkgNTAgeWVhcnMgbGF0ZXIsIHdpbm5pbmcgdGhlIHNhbWUgMyBz bGFtcyBBTy9GTy9VU08gaW4gMjAyMy4gIFJlbWFya2FibHkgc2ltaWxhciB5ZWFycywgd2lu bmluZyB0aGUgc2FtZSAzIHNsYW1zIHRvIGJvdGggZ2V0IHRvIHRoZSByZWNvcmQgMjQuIE5v dmFrIGp1c3QgbmVlZHMgdG8gcHV0IHRoYXQgY2hlcnJ5IG9uIHRvcCB0byBmaW5pc2ggb2Zm IGhpcyBnb2F0IGNhcmVlci5Ob3cgd2hpY2ggc2xhbSB3b3VsZCBhZGQgbW9zdCB0byBoaXMg bGVnYWN5P0FPIC0gMTF0aCB0aXRsZSB0aGVyZSB3b3VsZCBleHRlbmQgaGlzIGxlYWQgb3Zl ciA2IHRpbWUgY2hhbXBzIEVtZXJzb24vRmVkZXJlciwgYW5kIG1hdGNoIENvdXJ0J3MgMTEu Rk8gLSB3b3VsZCBlcXVhbCBHcmFmIGFzIDQgdGltZSBjYXJlZXIgc2xhbW1lci4gIE5leHQg YmVzdCBpbiBtZW4ncyBnYW1lIGlzIDIgY2FyZWVyIHNsYW1zIChMYXZlciwgRW1lcnNvbiwg TmFkYWwpIHNvIDQgd291bGQgYmUgYSBiaWcgc3RhdGVtZW50LldpbWJsZWRvbiAtIHdvdWxk IG1hdGNoIEZlZCdzIDggcmVjb3JkLCBtb3ZlIHBhc3QgU2FtcHJhcy5VU08gLSA1dGggVVNP IHdvdWxkIG1hdGNoIG9wZW4gZXJhIHJlY29yZCBvZiBDb25ub3JzL1NhbXByYXMvRmVkZXJl ci4gMTF0aCBVU08gZmluYWwgd291bGQgZWRnZSBwYXN0IHRob3NlIGd1eXMgYXMgdGhleSBt YWRlIDcvOC82IGZpbmFscyByZXNwZWN0aXZlbHkuTXkgY2hvaWNlIHdvdWxkIGJlIDEgbW9y ZSBXaW1ibGVkb24sIEknbSBndWVzc2luZyBoZSdkIGNob29zZSBzYW1lLg0KPiANCj4gDQo+ IA0KPiBFbnRlcnRhaW5pbmcgcG9zdC4NCj4gDQo+IA0KPiBGb2xsb3dpbmcgNzU0MywgV2lt YmxlZG9uIGlzIGFsd2F5cyB0aGUgbWFpbiBnb2FsLg0KPiANCj4gQnV0IGlmIHlvdSB3YW50 IHRoZSBhbHRlcm5hdGl2ZSwgaXQncyBhbGwgYWJvdXQgc2V0dGluZyB1bmJyZWFrYWJsZSBy ZWNvcmRzIGV2ZW4gaWYgdGhleSdyZSBub3QgYXQgdGhlIG1vc3QgaW1wb3J0YW50IGV2ZW50 Lg0KPiANCj4gOCBXaW1ibGVkb24gaXMgbm90IGV0ZXJuYWwgaW1vLg0KPiBTbyB3aGF0IGVs c2Ugd291bGQgYmUgZXRlcm5hbCBhbmQgdW5pcXVlPw0KPiANCj4gDQo+IA0KPiAxMSBBTyAo ZXF1YWxzIHdvbWVuJ3MgcmVjb3JkLCBidXQgMyBiZWhpbmQgYWxsIHRpbWUsIGFsbC1zZXgg TmFkYWwncyAxNCBGTywgYnV0IGFub3RoZXIgQU8gd291bGQgbWVhbiAxNSBIQyBzbGFtIHNv IGdldHMgdGhlIHJlY29yZCBmb3IgbW9zdCB0aXRsZXMgYXQgYSBzaW5nbGUgc3VyZmFjZSkN Cj4gDQo+IDQgRk8gKGVxdWFscyBHcmFmJ3MgcXVhZHJ1cGxlIENHUywgdHdpY2UgYXMgZ29v ZCBhcyBuZXh0IGJlc3QgbWVuKQ0KPiANCj4gOCBXaW0gKGVxdWFscyBGZWRlcmVyLCBidXQg c3RpbGwgYmVoaW5kIE5hdnJhdGlsb3ZhIGFsbC10aW1lIGFsbC1zZXggcmVjb3JkKQ0KPiAN Cj4gNSBVU08gKGVxdWFscyBGZWRlcmVyIHdpdGggbWluIDUgYXQgQU8vV2ltL1VTTyBhbmQg aW5jcmVhc2VzIEhDIHNsYW0gcmVjb3JkIHRvIDE1LCBzZXR0aW5nIHN1cmZhY2UgcmVjb3Jk LCBhaGVhZCBvZiBOYWRhbCkNCj4gDQo+IA0KPiANCj4gSXQncyByZWFsbHkgZGlmZmljdWx0 IHRvIGNob29zZT8NCj4gDQo+IEknZCBzYXkgcXVhZHJ1cGxlIENHUyBpcyBsaWtlbHkgdG8g bGFzdCB0aGUgbG9uZ2VzdCwgc28gdGhhdCB3b3VsZCBiZSBteSBwcmVmZXJyZWQgcGljayBi dXQgV2ltYmxlZG9uIGlzIHNvIHRhdW50aW5nIHRvby4gT3IgYW55IEhDIHNsYW0uDQo+IA0K PiBXb3cg8J+kqg0KPiANCj4gDQoNCg0KSSdsbCB0YWtlIGFueSBzbGFtIGF0IHRoaXMgc3Rh Z2UsIDI1IGlzIHNvIGNsb3NlLiAgQmUgbmljZSB0byBzZWUgaGltIA0KYnJlYWsgYWxsIHRo ZSByZWNvcmRzIGVnIDkgV2ltLCAxMiBBTywgNiBVU08gZXRjLCBidXQgSSBzZW5zZSB0aGUg ZW5kIGlzIA0KbmlnaC4gIEFnZSBjYW4ndCBiZSBoZWxkIGF0IGJheSB0b28gbG9uZyBhbmQg dGhlIHlvdW5nIGxpb25zIHdhbnQgdGhlaXIgDQpzaGFyZSwgYW5kIE5vdmFrIGxpa2UgYWxs IGdyZWF0cyBzdGFydCBsb3NpbmcgdGhlIGRlc2lyZS9tb3RpdmF0aW9uIHRvIA0Ka2VlcCB0 aGUgdGllciAxIGxldmVsIGdvaW5nIHBoeXNpY2FsbHkgYW5kIG1lbnRhbGx5LiBIZSBoYXMg dGhlIHNsYW0gDQpyZWNvcmQgc28gaW5jcmVkaWJseSBkaWZmaWN1bHQgdG8ga2VlcCB0aGUg ZmlyZXMgcmFnaW5nLiBJIGZlZWwgbGlrZSANCnRoZXJlIGlzIGEgbGl0dGxlIGp1aWNlIGxl ZnQgc3dpbGxpbmcgaW4gdGhlIHRhbmssIGp1c3QgbmVlZHMgaGlzIA0Kb3Bwb3J0dW5pdHkg dG8gc3RyaWtlLg0KDQpJIGNhbid0IHNlZSBoaW0gd2lubmluZyBGTywgdGhhdCB3aWxsIGJl IGhpcyB0b3VnaGVzdCBodXJkbGUgSSBiZWxpZXZlLiANCkknbSBzdXJwcmlzZWQgaGUgd29u IEZPIGxhc3QgeXIsIGJ1dCBhcyBJIHNhaWQgSSBmZWx0IEFsY2FyYXogd2FzIA0KZ2V0dGlu ZyB0aGUgdXBwZXIgaGFuZCBpbiB0aGF0IHNlbWkgYW5kIGNvdWxkIGhhdmUgd29uIGluIDQg c2V0cyBpZiBub3QgDQpmb3IgdGhlIGJpemFycmUgY3JhbXBzLiAgV2UnbGwgbmV2ZXIga25v dyBmb3Igc3VyZSBhbmQgaXQgZG9lc24ndCBtYXR0ZXIgDQpub3csIGp1c3QgdGhlIHNlbnNl IEkgZ290IGZyb20gd2F0Y2hpbmcgaXQuICBUaGlzIHlyIEkgdGhpbmsgQWxjYXJheiANCndp bGwgYmUgYSBodWdlIGZhdm9yaXRlIHRvIHdpbiBpdCwgYW5kIEkgc3VzcGVjdCBhIGZldyBv dGhlciBndXlzIGNhbiANCnRha2UgTm92YWsgb3V0IHRoaXMgeXIgYXQgRk8gZWcgU2lubmVy LCBSdW5lLCBhbmQgZXZlbiBhIGNvdXBsZSBvZiB0aGUgDQpzcGVjaWFsaXN0IGNsYXljb3Vy dGVycyBlbWVyZ2luZyByZWNlbnRseS4NCg0KV2ltYmxlZG9uIGFuZCBVU08gc2hvdWxkIGJl IE5vdmFrJ3MgYmVzdCBjaGFuY2VzLCBob3dldmVyIHRoZSBPbHltcGljcyANCm9uIGNsYXkg aXMgc2NyZXdpbmcgdXAgdGhlIHByZXBhcmF0aW9ucyBzbyB3ZSdsbCBzZWUgd2hhdCBoYXBw ZW5zLg0KDQoNCg0KDQoNCg0KDQoNCg==

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to Whisper on Thu Mar 28 18:01:42 2024
    Whisper <whisper@ozemail.com.au> Wrote in message:
    I'll take any slam at this stage, 25 is so close. Be nice to see him break all the records eg 9 Wim, 12 AO, 6 USO etc, but I sense the end is nigh. Age can't be held at bay too long and the young lions want their share, and Novak like all greats
    start losing the desire/motivation to keep the tier 1 level going physically and mentally. He has the slam record so incredibly difficult to keep the fires raging. I feel like there is a little juice left swilling in the tank, just needs his opportunity
    to strike.I can't see him winning FO, that will be his toughest hurdle I believe. I'm surprised he won FO last yr, but as I said I felt Alcaraz was getting the upper hand in that semi and could have won in 4 sets if not for the bizarre cramps. We'll
    never know for sure and it doesn't matter now, just the sense I got from watching it. This yr I think Alcaraz will be a huge favorite to win it, and I suspect a few other guys can take Novak out this yr at FO eg Sinner, Rune, and even a couple of the
    specialist claycourters emerging recently.Wimbledon and USO should be Novak's best chances, however the Olympics on clay is screwing up the preparations so we'll see what happens.

Excellent post once again.

I too feel Olympics might screw all of his slams this year.

And I agree that logically, clay should be tough surface at this stage.

However last year wasn't such an anomaly regarding clay. Djokovic at this stage is reaping the rewards of his clay struggles vs Nadal.

He has become truly a great claycourt player, he had to become after dueling Nadal for more than 15 years.

His technical perfection, clay demands it, vast experience, fitness and the fact clay slows things down is what enables or enabled him to be such a great claycourt player at this stage.

Alcaraz gassed himself in that semi. He was going 150%, just think of that "best point of the century" and despite that, Djokovic tied him to 1-1 in sets. Alcaraz simply cracked. He could not sustain it at 150%.

He might have won even if he was playing at "mere 100%" but as you say, we'll never know.

I agree with you. This year it's likely that Alcaraz 100% would do the job, and he would surely be able to play at 150% unlike last year.

So he's a huge favourite to win it.

But, Djokovic is surely going to be one of the 5 of 10 guys that are favourites. So he'll have a shot.

He will be focused on clay due to later Olympics. He's skipping Miami and preserving himself.

I think HC is where your age shows first. Then clay, then grass.

We're kinda fooled by the fact many older players abandon clay, but in reality, they're not suddenly obsolete on clay, they could still compete, they simply choose not to. Look at Federer reaching FO semi in 2019 and skipping clay in 2017 and 2018.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 29 19:29:12 2024
    T24gMjkvMDMvMjAyNCA0OjAxIGFtLCAqc2tyaXB0aXMgd3JvdGU6DQo+IFdoaXNwZXIgPHdo aXNwZXJAb3plbWFpbC5jb20uYXU+IFdyb3RlIGluIG1lc3NhZ2U6DQo+PiBJJ2xsIHRha2Ug YW55IHNsYW0gYXQgdGhpcyBzdGFnZSwgMjUgaXMgc28gY2xvc2UuICBCZSBuaWNlIHRvIHNl ZSBoaW0gYnJlYWsgYWxsIHRoZSByZWNvcmRzIGVnIDkgV2ltLCAxMiBBTywgNiBVU08gZXRj LCBidXQgSSBzZW5zZSB0aGUgZW5kIGlzIG5pZ2guICBBZ2UgY2FuJ3QgYmUgaGVsZCBhdCBi YXkgdG9vIGxvbmcgYW5kIHRoZSB5b3VuZyBsaW9ucyB3YW50IHRoZWlyIHNoYXJlLCBhbmQg Tm92YWsgbGlrZSBhbGwgZ3JlYXRzIHN0YXJ0IGxvc2luZyB0aGUgZGVzaXJlL21vdGl2YXRp b24gdG8ga2VlcCB0aGUgdGllciAxIGxldmVsIGdvaW5nIHBoeXNpY2FsbHkgYW5kIG1lbnRh bGx5LiBIZSBoYXMgdGhlIHNsYW0gcmVjb3JkIHNvIGluY3JlZGlibHkgZGlmZmljdWx0IHRv IGtlZXAgdGhlIGZpcmVzIHJhZ2luZy4gSSBmZWVsIGxpa2UgdGhlcmUgaXMgYSBsaXR0bGUg anVpY2UgbGVmdCBzd2lsbGluZyBpbiB0aGUgdGFuaywganVzdCBuZWVkcyBoaXMgb3Bwb3J0 dW5pdHkgdG8gc3RyaWtlLkkgY2FuJ3Qgc2VlIGhpbSB3aW5uaW5nIEZPLCB0aGF0IHdpbGwg YmUgaGlzIHRvdWdoZXN0IGh1cmRsZSBJIGJlbGlldmUuIEknbSBzdXJwcmlzZWQgaGUgd29u IEZPIGxhc3QgeXIsIGJ1dCBhcyBJIHNhaWQgSSBmZWx0IEFsY2FyYXogd2FzIGdldHRpbmcg dGhlIHVwcGVyIGhhbmQgaW4gdGhhdCBzZW1pIGFuZCBjb3VsZCBoYXZlIHdvbiBpbiA0IHNl dHMgaWYgbm90IGZvciB0aGUgYml6YXJyZSBjcmFtcHMuICBXZSdsbCBuZXZlciBrbm93IGZv ciBzdXJlIGFuZCBpdCBkb2Vzbid0IG1hdHRlciBub3csIGp1c3QgdGhlIHNlbnNlIEkgZ290 IGZyb20gd2F0Y2hpbmcgaXQuICBUaGlzIHlyIEkgdGhpbmsgQWxjYXJheiB3aWxsIGJlIGEg aHVnZSBmYXZvcml0ZSB0byB3aW4gaXQsIGFuZCBJIHN1c3BlY3QgYSBmZXcgb3RoZXIgZ3V5 cyBjYW4gdGFrZSBOb3ZhayBvdXQgdGhpcyB5ciBhdCBGTyBlZyBTaW5uZXIsIFJ1bmUsIGFu ZCBldmVuIGEgY291cGxlIG9mIHRoZSBzcGVjaWFsaXN0IGNsYXljb3VydGVycyBlbWVyZ2lu ZyByZWNlbnRseS5XaW1ibGVkb24gYW5kIFVTTyBzaG91bGQgYmUgTm92YWsncyBiZXN0IGNo YW5jZXMsIGhvd2V2ZXIgdGhlIE9seW1waWNzIG9uIGNsYXkgaXMgc2NyZXdpbmcgdXAgdGhl IHByZXBhcmF0aW9ucyBzbyB3ZSdsbCBzZWUgd2hhdCBoYXBwZW5zLg0KPiANCj4gDQo+IA0K PiBFeGNlbGxlbnQgcG9zdCBvbmNlIGFnYWluLg0KPiANCj4gSSB0b28gZmVlbCBPbHltcGlj cyBtaWdodCBzY3JldyBhbGwgb2YgaGlzIHNsYW1zIHRoaXMgeWVhci4NCj4gDQo+IEFuZCBJ IGFncmVlIHRoYXQgbG9naWNhbGx5LCBjbGF5IHNob3VsZCBiZSB0b3VnaCBzdXJmYWNlIGF0 IHRoaXMgc3RhZ2UuDQo+IA0KPiANCj4gSG93ZXZlciBsYXN0IHllYXIgd2Fzbid0IHN1Y2gg YW4gYW5vbWFseSByZWdhcmRpbmcgY2xheS4gRGpva292aWMgYXQgdGhpcyBzdGFnZSBpcyBy ZWFwaW5nIHRoZSByZXdhcmRzIG9mIGhpcyBjbGF5IHN0cnVnZ2xlcyB2cyBOYWRhbC4NCj4g DQo+IEhlIGhhcyBiZWNvbWUgdHJ1bHkgYSBncmVhdCBjbGF5Y291cnQgcGxheWVyLCAgaGUg aGFkIHRvIGJlY29tZSBhZnRlciBkdWVsaW5nIE5hZGFsIGZvciBtb3JlIHRoYW4gMTUgeWVh cnMuDQo+IA0KPiBIaXMgdGVjaG5pY2FsIHBlcmZlY3Rpb24sIGNsYXkgZGVtYW5kcyBpdCwg dmFzdCBleHBlcmllbmNlLCBmaXRuZXNzIGFuZCB0aGUgZmFjdCBjbGF5IHNsb3dzIHRoaW5n cyBkb3duIGlzIHdoYXQgZW5hYmxlcyBvciBlbmFibGVkIGhpbSB0byBiZSBzdWNoIGEgZ3Jl YXQgY2xheWNvdXJ0IHBsYXllciBhdCB0aGlzIHN0YWdlLg0KPiANCj4gQWxjYXJheiBnYXNz ZWQgaGltc2VsZiBpbiB0aGF0IHNlbWkuIEhlIHdhcyBnb2luZyAxNTAlLCBqdXN0IHRoaW5r IG9mIHRoYXQgImJlc3QgcG9pbnQgb2YgdGhlIGNlbnR1cnkiIGFuZCBkZXNwaXRlIHRoYXQs IERqb2tvdmljIHRpZWQgaGltIHRvIDEtMSBpbiBzZXRzLiBBbGNhcmF6IHNpbXBseSBjcmFj a2VkLiBIZSBjb3VsZCBub3Qgc3VzdGFpbiBpdCBhdCAxNTAlLg0KPiANCj4gSGUgbWlnaHQg aGF2ZSB3b24gZXZlbiBpZiBoZSB3YXMgcGxheWluZyBhdCAibWVyZSAxMDAlIiBidXQgYXMg eW91IHNheSwgd2UnbGwgbmV2ZXIga25vdy4NCj4gDQo+IEkgYWdyZWUgd2l0aCB5b3UuIFRo aXMgeWVhciBpdCdzIGxpa2VseSB0aGF0IEFsY2FyYXogMTAwJSB3b3VsZCBkbyB0aGUgam9i LCBhbmQgaGUgd291bGQgc3VyZWx5IGJlIGFibGUgdG8gcGxheSBhdCAxNTAlIHVubGlrZSBs YXN0IHllYXIuDQo+IA0KPiBTbyBoZSdzIGEgaHVnZSBmYXZvdXJpdGUgdG8gd2luIGl0Lg0K PiANCj4gQnV0LCBEam9rb3ZpYyBpcyBzdXJlbHkgZ29pbmcgdG8gYmUgb25lIG9mIHRoZSA1 IG9mIDEwIGd1eXMgdGhhdCBhcmUgZmF2b3VyaXRlcy4gU28gaGUnbGwgaGF2ZSBhIHNob3Qu DQo+IA0KPiBIZSB3aWxsIGJlIGZvY3VzZWQgb24gY2xheSBkdWUgdG8gbGF0ZXIgT2x5bXBp Y3MuIEhlJ3Mgc2tpcHBpbmcgTWlhbWkgYW5kIHByZXNlcnZpbmcgaGltc2VsZi4NCj4gDQo+ IA0KPiANCj4gSSB0aGluayBIQyBpcyB3aGVyZSB5b3VyIGFnZSBzaG93cyBmaXJzdC4gVGhl biBjbGF5LCB0aGVuIGdyYXNzLg0KPiANCj4gV2UncmUga2luZGEgZm9vbGVkIGJ5IHRoZSBm YWN0IG1hbnkgb2xkZXIgcGxheWVycyBhYmFuZG9uIGNsYXksIGJ1dCBpbiByZWFsaXR5LCB0 aGV5J3JlIG5vdCBzdWRkZW5seSBvYnNvbGV0ZSBvbiBjbGF5LCB0aGV5IGNvdWxkIHN0aWxs IGNvbXBldGUsIHRoZXkgc2ltcGx5IGNob29zZSBub3QgdG8uIExvb2sgYXQgRmVkZXJlciBy ZWFjaGluZyBGTyBzZW1pIGluIDIwMTkgYW5kIHNraXBwaW5nIGNsYXkgaW4gMjAxNyBhbmQg MjAxOC4NCj4gDQo+IA0KDQoNCk5vYm9keSBzaG91bGQgYmUgc2hvY2tlZCBpZiBOb3ZhayB3 aW5zIEZPIGFnYWluLCBoZSdzIHByb3ZlbiBtZSBhbmQgbWFueSANCnB1bmRpdHMgd3Jvbmcg dGltZSBhbmQgYWdhaW4gYW5kIHlvdSBzaW1wbHkgY2FuJ3QgYmV0IGFnYWluc3QgaGltLiAg SGUncyANCnByb2JhYmx5IGdlYXJpbmcgdXAgZm9yIGZ1bGwgb24gY2xheSBtb2RlIGZyb20g bm93IHRpbCBPbHltcGljcy4NCg0KSSBmZWx0IGF0IHRoZSBzdGFydCBvZiB0aGUgeWVhciBT aW5uZXIgd291bGQgd2luIFdpbWJsZWRvbiB0aGlzIHllYXIuIA0KSGUncyBvbmx5IGxvc3Qg dG8gTm92YWsgdGhlcmUgbGFzdCAyIHllYXJzLCB1cCAyLTAgb25jZSwgYW5kIGhhcyANCmlt cHJvdmVkIGEgbG90IGluIGxhc3QgNiBtb250aHMuICBDYXJsb3MgZm9yIEZPLCBhbmQgbWF5 YmUgTm92YWsgZ2V0cyAyNSANCmF0IFVTTz8NCg0K

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05