• Re:OT: POEN QUESTION - RST reader formatting

From *skriptis@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Mon Jan 29 17:46:36 2024
    Sawfish <sawfish666@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    A while back we were all planning RST's wake and funeral due to Google's elimination of Google Group. Many people pointed out that Usenet is still alive and that RST is a *Usenet* group that exists, and is available, entirely independent of Google or
    the web, so...I came away smugly confident that RST would be likely to continue, but a minor niggling mental irritant remained gnawing at the edge of consciousness. Gradually I came to realize what the source of this reservation about RST's continued
    existence is. And it's this.It seems that more and more posters are posting from smart phones. These smart phones, when they post, remove newline formatting and maybe other formatting tokens. This causes a mass of run-on text that is very hard to go back
    thru to follow the exchanges in the thread. It's not impossible, but it makes reading responses that benefit from the full exchange context a whole lot harder than formatted exchanges. It makes it more like work, and in RST, the pay's none too good, and
    is actually decreasing, figuratively.So an open question: does anyone have any ideas about how to work around this increasing irritant, either on the sending end, or in post-processing on the receiving end?What I can contribute now is that the eternal
    september newsserver seems to NOT support HTML formatting, so if any solution involves HTML formatting, anyone using eternal september would need to change servers. This would be me, but I'd do it. XLned (xlned.com) is pretty cheap and pretty good. For
    the minimal package, which is overkill for normal Usenet posting, it is about $30 US per year.Any ideas are welcome.-- --Sawfish~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would
    accept someone like meas a member." --G. Marx

I aplogize.

But I came to realisaton that in some ways it's a waste of time to prepare myself to go online and post from my desktop as if I'm addressing serious people or important topics.

Otoh in most cases, I'm interested in live responses, during matches or important events. Mobile offers me such option

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to jdeluise on Mon Jan 29 22:47:07 2024
    jdeluise <jdeluise@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    Sawfish <sawfish666@gmail.com> writes:> A while back we were all planning RST's wake and funeral due to> Google's elimination of Google Group. Many people pointed out that> Usenet is still alive and that RST is a *Usenet* group that exists,> and is
    available, entirely independent of Google or the web, so...>> I came away smugly confident that RST would be likely to continue, but> a minor niggling mental irritant remained gnawing at the edge of> consciousness. Gradually I came to realize what the
    source of this> reservation about RST's continued existence is. And it's this.>> It seems that more and more posters are posting from smart> phones. These smart phones, when they post, remove newline formatting> and maybe other formatting tokens. This
    causes a mass of run-on text> that is very hard to go back thru to follow the exchanges in the> thread. It's not impossible, but it makes reading responses that> benefit from the full exchange context a whole lot harder than> formatted exchanges. It
    makes it more like work, and in RST, the pay's> none too good, and is actually decreasing, figuratively.>> So an open question: does anyone have any ideas about how to work> around this increasing irritant, either on the sending end, or in> post-
    processing on the receiving end?>> What I can contribute now is that the eternal september newsserver> seems to NOT support HTML formatting, so if any solution involves HTML> formatting, anyone using eternal september would need to change> servers. This
    would be me, but I'd do it. XLned (xlned.com) is> pretty cheap and pretty good. For the minimal package, which is> overkill for normal Usenet posting, it is about $30 US per year.>> Any ideas are welcome.The issue is that there are no good usenet
    clients for android, at leastfor posting. Not sure about iOS, but I would doubt it. Posting/readingusenet is such a niche activity there is simply no call for a good oneto be written. That said, it seems this particular bug with the PhoNewsclient
    could be fixed pretty easily, but it's been years now and nothinghas changed.Even if it worked for posting, I don't expect the average smartphoneuser or tennis fan would go to the trouble of installing it, setting upan account (even free) with a usenet
    provider, and dealing with thecomplexities of configuring it and subscribing to rec.sport.tennis. Thesignal-to-noise ratio is too low here.

https://www.clarityqst.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/If-You-Build-It-Will-They-Come.png
    --

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)