• Should there have been Home Alone 3?

From *skriptis@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 31 11:44:04 2023
    With Macaulay Culkin and all (or most) of the original crew?

I say yes.

It's a missed opportunity really.

I know they said he would become too old, become a teen, but so what?

Teens can be stars in kids and family movies, it's not necessary that the main character is a kid himself, no?

And if it was necessary to have a kid, they could have added another supporting role as a kid, say a cousin character?

I feel that precisely because of Culkin aging, the script would needed to adapt and if successful, would make a great movie as it would force screenwriters to come up with something originally new, yet would allow them to keep same old faces which is
    what series is all about.

That's a winning formula.

As it was, the movies 3, 4, 5 and 6 with different actors were made but are not well known. You can't replicate same stuff all over again.

Bottom line, Police Academy did it successfully, while Home Alone imo failed.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Custos Custodum@21:1/5 to skriptis@post.t-com.hr on Sun Dec 31 12:54:36 2023
    On Sun, 31 Dec 2023 11:44:04 +0100 (GMT+01:00), *skriptis <skriptis@post.t-com.hr> wrote:

I say yes.

I say no, the first one was bad enough.

Teens can be stars in kids and family movies, it's not necessary that the main character is a kid himself, no?

And if it was necessary to have a kid, they could have added another supporting role as a kid, say a cousin character?

I feel that precisely because of Culkin aging, the script would needed to adapt and if successful, would make a great movie as it would force screenwriters to come up with something originally new, yet would allow them to keep same old faces which is

As it was, the movies 3, 4, 5 and 6 with different actors were made but are not well known. You can't replicate same stuff all over again.

Bottom line, Police Academy did it successfully,

Oh, my aching sides! What's the Serbo-Croat for "Scraping the bottom
    of the barrel"?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Sun Dec 31 20:49:50 2023
    Sawfish <sawfish666@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
    Alien3 was a complete washout, too.

You can't expect endless sequels to deliver, no?

I don't expect master pieces, but I can't stand inflation.

My objection to movies is always the same - inflation.

E.g. in first alien, there was just one monster and it was scary enough. Sure, it's unknown so you can't replicate that exact same feeling in second movie, but you shouldn't have 1000 monsters in Alien 2.

Can you try something else?

Alien 2 was ok, but it's such a inflation I hate it so much. In comparison alien 3 tried something differently, so I admire it. That was third attempt so I can't criticise them as much.

But alien 2 and gazillion of them?

Police Academy has really nailed it how do do satisfactory sequels.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Mon Jan 1 14:10:13 2024
    Sawfish <sawfish666@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    On 12/31/23 11:49 AM, *skriptis wrote:> Sawfish <sawfish666@gmail.com> Wrote in message:>> Alien3 was a complete washout, too.>>> You can't expect endless sequels to deliver, no?>> I don't expect master pieces, but I can't stand inflation.>> My
    objection to movies is always the same - inflation.>>> E.g. in first alien, there was just one monster and it was scary enough. Sure, it's unknown so you can't replicate that exact same feeling in second movie, but you shouldn't have 1000 monsters in
    Alien 2.>> Can you try something else?>> Alien 2 was ok, but it's such a inflation I hate it so much. In comparison alien 3 tried something differently, so I admire it. That was third attempt so I can't criticise them as much.>> But alien 2 and gazillion
    of them?Oh, I disliked Alien2 (Aliens) a lot, too.I see what you mean by inflation.To my mind very few, if any, really high quality films that have an effective dramatic arc (by this I mean they tell a visceral and compelling story that comes to some
    sort of satisfactory resolution, producing something like catharsis) can support a sequel.However, if the first movie was not of this quality, then I can see that sequels aren't as likely to be much worse (how could they be?) and if there was something
    in the original that appealed to you, then I suppose you might enjoy the sequel.I saw Oldboy last night. I have mixed feelings. It made a genuine impression, but there was a huge helping of bizarre east Asian sensibilities (cruelty for its own sake, evil
    based on poor self-concept [compensatory evil?], explosive and unconstrained emotion) that I just don't relate to well. E.g., there was no real component of self-pride, like Satan in Milton's Paradise Lost.But you know, I've now seen two S Korean films
    that I just don't plain understand on a visceral level: OLdboy and Parasite. Situations in these films that are portrayed as paralyzing problems seem fairly easy to resolve, to me.A lot of stuff you do in life will hurt quite a bit--they *feel* like when
    you take your 12 year old dog in to be euthanized--but it's still the correct thing for you to do, so why self-inflict angst?>>>> Police Academy has really nailed it how do do satisfactory sequels.Yes. Never good to start with, with no dramatic arc.How
    about a sequel to Life of Pi? :^)The first sequel to Blair Witch went in a bit different direction, and the denouement was almost worth the rest of the film. ("Holy shit! That actually *was* us, who did that terrible, terrible stuff...")Happy New Year,
    skript!

Likewise, all the best to you and the ones you like.

;)

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TT@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 3 08:38:36 2024
    *skriptis kirjoitti 31.12.2023 klo 12.44:

I say yes.

Bottom line, Police Academy did it successfully, while Home Alone imo failed.

I wouldn't call latter Police Academy sequels a success.

Alien did well for first four films.

Predator films two to three.

Alien vs Predator a couple

Star Wars arguably 9... well, I personally think Attack of the clones
    (ep 2) was rubbish, all others were good enough.

Underworld franchise went too long, although watching Kate Beckinsale in
    tight leather outfit is never a drag. (no pun intended)

Back to the Future all 3 - a franchise which knew when to stop.

Marvel & superhero franchises... went stale YEARS ago, if not decades.

...and so forth and so on...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TT@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 3 20:42:38 2024
    Sawfish kirjoitti 3.1.2024 klo 20.13:
    On 1/2/24 10:38 PM, TT wrote:
    *skriptis kirjoitti 31.12.2023 klo 12.44:

I say yes.

Teens can be stars in kids and family movies, it's not necessary that
    the main character is a kid himself, no?

And if it was necessary to have a kid, they could have added another
    supporting role as a kid, say a cousin character?

I feel that precisely because of Culkin aging, the script would
    needed to adapt and if successful, would make a great movie as it
    would force screenwriters to come up with something originally new,
    yet would allow them to keep same old faces which is what series is
    all about.

As it was, the movies 3, 4, 5 and 6 with different actors were made
    but are not well known. You can't replicate same stuff all over again.

Bottom line, Police Academy did it successfully, while Home Alone imo
    failed.

I wouldn't call latter Police Academy sequels a success.

Alien did well for first four films.
    Oh, for god's sake...!!!

Predator films two to three.

Alien vs Predator a couple
    My god!

Star Wars arguably 9... well, I personally think Attack of the clones
    (ep 2) was rubbish, all others were good enough.

Underworld franchise went too long, although watching Kate Beckinsale
    in tight leather outfit is never a drag. (no pun intended)

Back to the Future all 3 - a franchise which knew when to stop.

Marvel & superhero franchises... went stale YEARS ago, if not decades.

...and so forth and so on...

There's no accounting for taste...

;^)

Mainly I mostly like movies with stories that have a solid, built-in conclusion. Dunkirk would be like that mostly because it's historical. Goodfellas.

The first two of the Godfather films were good.

Happy New Year, TT!

Happy New Year, Saw.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05