• Sinner loses to Shelton

From Sawfish@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 11 08:48:35 2023
    What to make of it?

I'd prefer a bit more than to just say Sinner is a choker. I watched the
    entire match and I wouldn't characterize his loss as a choke. It may be
    that Shelton intimidated him somewhat--nothing that showed, but maybe
    took the edge off of Sinner's confidence.

Shelton must also be given credit for improving since last year. He is surprisingly mobile for his size, good stamina, and has forceful ground strokes. Currently his weak spot is consistency in an extended rally: he
    makes too many needless errors.

He definitely had Sinner on the defensive more often than not.

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "If we use Occam's Razor, whose razor will *he* use?" --Sawfish ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From The Iceberg@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Thu Oct 12 02:21:35 2023
    On Wednesday, 11 October 2023 at 16:48:39 UTC+1, Sawfish wrote:
    What to make of it?

I'd prefer a bit more than to just say Sinner is a choker. I watched the entire match and I wouldn't characterize his loss as a choke. It may be
    that Shelton intimidated him somewhat--nothing that showed, but maybe

Shelton must also be given credit for improving since last year. He is surprisingly mobile for his size, good stamina, and has forceful ground strokes. Currently his weak spot is consistency in an extended rally: he makes too many needless errors.

Sinner is a bit clueless in crunch situations cos needs a slam winning coach!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gracchus@21:1/5 to The Iceberg on Thu Oct 12 07:58:44 2023
    On Thursday, October 12, 2023 at 2:21:37 AM UTC-7, The Iceberg wrote:
    On Wednesday, 11 October 2023 at 16:48:39 UTC+1, Sawfish wrote:
    What to make of it?

I'd prefer a bit more than to just say Sinner is a choker. I watched the entire match and I wouldn't characterize his loss as a choke. It may be that Shelton intimidated him somewhat--nothing that showed, but maybe

Shelton must also be given credit for improving since last year. He is surprisingly mobile for his size, good stamina, and has forceful ground strokes. Currently his weak spot is consistency in an extended rally: he makes too many needless errors.

Sinner is a bit clueless in crunch situations cos needs a slam winning coach!

Mauresmo?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From PeteWasLucky@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Thu Oct 12 12:19:27 2023
    Sawfish <sawfish666@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    What to make of it?I'd prefer a bit more than to just say Sinner is a choker. I watched the entire match and I wouldn't characterize his loss as a choke. It may be that Shelton intimidated him somewhat--nothing that showed, but maybe took the edge off
    of Sinner's confidence.Shelton must also be given credit for improving since last year. He is surprisingly mobile for his size, good stamina, and has forceful ground strokes. Currently his weak spot is consistency in an extended rally: he makes too many
    needless errors.He definitely had Sinner on the defensive more often than not.-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"If we use Occam's Razor, whose razor will *he* use?" --Sawfish~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shelton is very good.
    --

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to PeteWasLucky on Thu Oct 12 11:03:52 2023
    On 10/12/23 9:19 AM, PeteWasLucky wrote:
    Sawfish <sawfish666@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    What to make of it?I'd prefer a bit more than to just say Sinner is a choker. I watched the entire match and I wouldn't characterize his loss as a choke. It may be that Shelton intimidated him somewhat--nothing that showed, but maybe took the edge off
    of Sinner's confidence.Shelton must also be given credit for improving since last year. He is surprisingly mobile for his size, good stamina, and has forceful ground strokes. Currently his weak spot is consistency in an extended rally: he makes too many
    needless errors.He definitely had Sinner on the defensive more often than not.-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"If we use Occam's Razor, whose razor will *he* use?" --Sawfish~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Shelton is very good.

Yes. I discussed this with my wife. I think that if he improves his
    rally consistency just a bit, he could be top 5 and win a slam.

From what I saw he may have a tendency toward impatience--not much--but
    enough to cause unwarranted errors.

But he is a very robust, fast, 6'4" 195 lb guy with a serve that can
    exceed 140mph, he is a true S/V guy (he appears to *like* it there) who
    can play back, as needed, and he is left-handed.

I mean, there were multiple instances where he completely hand-cuffed
    Sinner by serving directly at him.

This is a real formidable package of talent.

He has one other little thing that may work to his advantage versus some players, but to his disadvantage with some fans. He has a way of smiling
    and chuckling that is *very* derisive to an opponent; it just looks like
    he's thinking "you poor inadequate sap". I think it will get under the
    skin of volatile guys like Med.

Fun to watch in the future, I think.

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "I only trust statistics that I have falsified, myself."

--Winston Churchill ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Iceberg@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Fri Oct 13 03:08:17 2023
    On Thursday, 12 October 2023 at 19:03:59 UTC+1, Sawfish wrote:
    Sawfish <sawfi...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    What to make of it?I'd prefer a bit more than to just say Sinner is a choker. I watched the entire match and I wouldn't characterize his loss as a choke. It may be that Shelton intimidated him somewhat--nothing that showed, but maybe took the edge
    off of Sinner's confidence.Shelton must also be given credit for improving since last year. He is surprisingly mobile for his size, good stamina, and has forceful ground strokes. Currently his weak spot is consistency in an extended rally: he makes too
    many needless errors.He definitely had Sinner on the defensive more often than not.-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"If we use Occam's Razor, whose razor will *he* use?" --Sawfish~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Shelton is very good.

From what I saw he may have a tendency toward impatience--not much--but enough to cause unwarranted errors.

But he is a very robust, fast, 6'4" 195 lb guy with a serve that can
    exceed 140mph, he is a true S/V guy (he appears to *like* it there) who

He has one other little thing that may work to his advantage versus some players, but to his disadvantage with some fans. He has a way of smiling
    and chuckling that is *very* derisive to an opponent; it just looks like he's thinking "you poor inadequate sap". I think it will get under the

enjoyable to watch, but he reminds me Tommy Paul or Steve Johnson, hence Djoker vs Shelton 63 62 76

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From undecided@21:1/5 to The Iceberg on Sun Oct 15 12:51:41 2023
    On Friday, October 13, 2023 at 6:08:19 AM UTC-4, The Iceberg wrote:
    What to make of it?I'd prefer a bit more than to just say Sinner is a choker. I watched the entire match and I wouldn't characterize his loss as a choke. It may be that Shelton intimidated him somewhat--nothing that showed, but maybe took the edge
    off of Sinner's confidence.Shelton must also be given credit for improving since last year. He is surprisingly mobile for his size, good stamina, and has forceful ground strokes. Currently his weak spot is consistency in an extended rally: he makes too
    many needless errors.He definitely had Sinner on the defensive more often than not.-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"If we use Occam's Razor, whose razor will *he* use?" --Sawfish~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Shelton is very good.

From what I saw he may have a tendency toward impatience--not much--but enough to cause unwarranted errors.

But he is a very robust, fast, 6'4" 195 lb guy with a serve that can exceed 140mph, he is a true S/V guy (he appears to *like* it there) who can play back, as needed, and he is left-handed.

I mean, there were multiple instances where he completely hand-cuffed Sinner by serving directly at him.

He has one other little thing that may work to his advantage versus some players, but to his disadvantage with some fans. He has a way of smiling and chuckling that is *very* derisive to an opponent; it just looks like he's thinking "you poor inadequate sap". I think it will get under the skin of volatile guys like Med.

enjoyable to watch, but he reminds me Tommy Paul or Steve Johnson, hence Djoker vs Shelton 63 62 76
    A lot more firepower than either of those 2 guys you mentioned. And he is young, very young, still learning, evolving.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Iceberg@21:1/5 to undecided on Mon Oct 16 02:20:07 2023
    On Sunday, 15 October 2023 at 20:51:43 UTC+1, undecided wrote:
    What to make of it?I'd prefer a bit more than to just say Sinner is a choker. I watched the entire match and I wouldn't characterize his loss as a choke. It may be that Shelton intimidated him somewhat--nothing that showed, but maybe took the
    edge off of Sinner's confidence.Shelton must also be given credit for improving since last year. He is surprisingly mobile for his size, good stamina, and has forceful ground strokes. Currently his weak spot is consistency in an extended rally: he makes
    too many needless errors.He definitely had Sinner on the defensive more often than not.-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"If we use Occam's Razor, whose razor will *he* use?" --Sawfish~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Shelton is very good.
    Yes. I discussed this with my wife. I think that if he improves his rally consistency just a bit, he could be top 5 and win a slam.

But he is a very robust, fast, 6'4" 195 lb guy with a serve that can exceed 140mph, he is a true S/V guy (he appears to *like* it there) who can play back, as needed, and he is left-handed.

I mean, there were multiple instances where he completely hand-cuffed Sinner by serving directly at him.

He has one other little thing that may work to his advantage versus some players, but to his disadvantage with some fans. He has a way of smiling and chuckling that is *very* derisive to an opponent; it just looks like he's thinking "you poor inadequate sap". I think it will get under the skin of volatile guys like Med.

A lot more firepower than either of those 2 guys you mentioned. And he is young, very young, still learning, evolving.

he just looks like a male version of Madison Keys, also he not that young, he 21.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From undecided@21:1/5 to The Iceberg on Mon Oct 16 13:32:09 2023
    On Monday, October 16, 2023 at 5:20:09 AM UTC-4, The Iceberg wrote:
    What to make of it?I'd prefer a bit more than to just say Sinner is a choker. I watched the entire match and I wouldn't characterize his loss as a choke. It may be that Shelton intimidated him somewhat--nothing that showed, but maybe took the
    edge off of Sinner's confidence.Shelton must also be given credit for improving since last year. He is surprisingly mobile for his size, good stamina, and has forceful ground strokes. Currently his weak spot is consistency in an extended rally: he makes
    too many needless errors.He definitely had Sinner on the defensive more often than not.-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"If we use Occam's Razor, whose razor will *he* use?" --Sawfish~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Shelton is very good.
    Yes. I discussed this with my wife. I think that if he improves his rally consistency just a bit, he could be top 5 and win a slam.

But he is a very robust, fast, 6'4" 195 lb guy with a serve that can exceed 140mph, he is a true S/V guy (he appears to *like* it there) who

He has one other little thing that may work to his advantage versus some
    players, but to his disadvantage with some fans. He has a way of smiling
    he's thinking "you poor inadequate sap". I think it will get under the skin of volatile guys like Med.

he just looks like a male version of Madison Keys, also he not that young, he 21.
    I don't get the comparison to Keys. We are forgetting that 21 is still very young. Federer did not mature into a real champion until 23.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Court_1@21:1/5 to undecided on Mon Oct 16 15:24:15 2023
    On Monday, October 16, 2023 at 4:32:11 PM UTC-4, undecided wrote:
    On Monday, October 16, 2023 at 5:20:09 AM UTC-4, The Iceberg wrote:
    What to make of it?I'd prefer a bit more than to just say Sinner is a choker. I watched the entire match and I wouldn't characterize his loss as a choke. It may be that Shelton intimidated him somewhat--nothing that showed, but maybe took
    the edge off of Sinner's confidence.Shelton must also be given credit for improving since last year. He is surprisingly mobile for his size, good stamina, and has forceful ground strokes. Currently his weak spot is consistency in an extended rally: he
    makes too many needless errors.He definitely had Sinner on the defensive more often than not.-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"If we use Occam's Razor, whose razor will *he* use?" --Sawfish~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Shelton is very good.

But he is a very robust, fast, 6'4" 195 lb guy with a serve that can exceed 140mph, he is a true S/V guy (he appears to *like* it there) who

He has one other little thing that may work to his advantage versus some
    players, but to his disadvantage with some fans. He has a way of smiling
    he's thinking "you poor inadequate sap". I think it will get under the

I don't get the comparison to Keys. We are forgetting that 21 is still very young. Federer did not mature into a real champion until 23.

I think Shelton looks good as well(from the little I've seen of him in the past) but it's hard to predict how his career will turn out. He could be a top five player who can win big tournaments or he could indeed be a Madison Keys type player.

He does seem to have the arrogance factor which is needed for tier 1 players.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gracchus@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 16 15:36:45 2023
    On Monday, October 16, 2023 at 3:24:17 PM UTC-7, Court_1 wrote:

I think Shelton looks good as well(from the little I've seen of him in the past) but it's hard to predict how his career will turn out. He could be a top five player who can win big tournaments or he could indeed be a Madison Keys type player.

He'd better be careful around Whisper then.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05