• (OT) Nobel Prize Awarded to Covid Vaccine Pioneers

From =?UTF-8?Q?Pelle_Svansl=c3=b6s?=@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 2 21:48:46 2023
    Katalin Karikó and Drew Weissman, who together identified a chemical
    tweak to messenger RNA, were awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or
    Medicine on Monday. Their work enabled potent Covid vaccines to be made
    in less than a year, averting tens of millions of deaths and helping the
    world recover from the worst pandemic in a century.

Dr. Karikó, the 13th woman to win the prize, languished for many long
    years without funding or a permanent academic position, keeping her
    research afloat only by latching on to more senior scientists at the
    University of Pennsylvania who let her work with them. Unable to get a
    grant, she said she was told she was “not faculty quality” and was
    forced to retire from the university a decade ago. She remains only an
    adjunct professor there while she pursues plans to start a company with
    her daughter, Susan Francia, who has an M.B.A. and was a two-time
    Olympic gold medalist in rowing.

The mRNA work was especially frustrating, she said, because it was met
    with indifference and a lack of funds. She said she was motivated by
    more than not being called a quitter; as the work progressed, she saw
    small signs that her project could lead to better vaccines. “You don’t persevere and repeat and repeat just to say, ‘I am not giving up,’” she said.

At first, other scientists were largely uninterested in taking up that
    new approach to vaccination. Their paper, published in 2005, was
    rejected by the journals Nature and Science, Dr. Weissman said. The
    study was eventually accepted by a niche publication called Immunity.

But two biotech companies soon took notice: Moderna, in the United
    States, and BioNTech, in Germany, where Dr. Karikó eventually became a
    senior vice president. The companies studied the use of mRNA vaccines
    for flu, cytomegalovirus and other illnesses. None moved out of clinical
    trials for years.

Then the coronavirus emerged.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/02/health/nobel-prize-medicine.html

The vaccines have saved 14-20M lives. Countless covid hospitalisations.
    Blessed are experts.

--
    "If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best
    colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him
    somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you".

-- Lyndon B Johnson

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From bmoore@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 2 12:37:56 2023
    On Monday, October 2, 2023 at 11:48:50 AM UTC-7, Pelle Svanslös wrote:
    Katalin Karikó and Drew Weissman, who together identified a chemical
    tweak to messenger RNA, were awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine on Monday. Their work enabled potent Covid vaccines to be made
    in less than a year, averting tens of millions of deaths and helping the world recover from the worst pandemic in a century.

Dr. Karikó, the 13th woman to win the prize, languished for many long
    years without funding or a permanent academic position, keeping her
    research afloat only by latching on to more senior scientists at the University of Pennsylvania who let her work with them. Unable to get a grant, she said she was told she was “not faculty quality” and was forced to retire from the university a decade ago. She remains only an adjunct professor there while she pursues plans to start a company with
    her daughter, Susan Francia, who has an M.B.A. and was a two-time

The mRNA work was especially frustrating, she said, because it was met
    with indifference and a lack of funds. She said she was motivated by
    more than not being called a quitter; as the work progressed, she saw
    small signs that her project could lead to better vaccines. “You don’t persevere and repeat and repeat just to say, ‘I am not giving up,’” she
    said.

States, and BioNTech, in Germany, where Dr. Karikó eventually became a senior vice president. The companies studied the use of mRNA vaccines
    for flu, cytomegalovirus and other illnesses. None moved out of clinical trials for years.

Cool.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/02/health/nobel-prize-medicine.html

The vaccines have saved 14-20M lives. Countless covid hospitalisations. Blessed are experts.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gracchus@21:1/5 to PeteWasLucky on Mon Oct 2 13:03:45 2023
    On Monday, October 2, 2023 at 12:57:41 PM UTC-7, PeteWasLucky wrote:

The companies studied the use of mRNA vaccines for flu, cytomegalovirus and other illnesses. None moved out of clinical
    trials for years.

And somehow it was magically developed and approved for Covid in six months :)

Not "magically." Wasn't development accelerated by the guy you plan to vote for next year?

The prize is well-deserved for both scientists in this case and it's nice they both lived to see their work validated.

Meanwhile, I received the latest version of this marvelous vaccine just last week. Thank you Karikó and Weissman!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?Pelle_Svansl=c3=b6s?=@21:1/5 to PeteWasLucky on Mon Oct 2 22:59:51 2023
    On 2.10.2023 22.57, PeteWasLucky wrote:
    The companies studied the use of mRNA vaccines for flu, cytomegalovirus and other illnesses. None moved out of clinical
    trials for years.

One word. Twump.

--
    "And off they went, from here to there,
    The bear, the bear, and the maiden fair"
    -- Traditional

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From PeteWasLucky@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 2 15:57:37 2023
    trials for years.

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From PeteWasLucky@21:1/5 to Gracchus on Mon Oct 2 16:40:02 2023
    Gracchus <gracchado@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    On Monday, October 2, 2023 at 12:57:41PM UTC-7, PeteWasLucky wrote:> > The companies studied the use of mRNA vaccines for flu, cytomegalovirus and other illnesses. None moved out of clinical > trials for years.> And somehow it was magically developed
    and approved for Covid in six months :) Not "magically." Wasn't development accelerated by the guy you plan to vote for next year?The prize is well-deserved for both scientists in this case and it's nice they both lived to see their work validated.
    Meanwhile, I received the latest version of this marvelous vaccine just last week. Thank you Karik and Weissman!

I don't want to vote for any of these two.
    Biden is almost gone mentally and Trump we know the guy.
    I definitely wish for another respectable candidate. I believe we need switch back and forth between the two parties.
    --

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gracchus@21:1/5 to PeteWasLucky on Mon Oct 2 13:51:28 2023
    On Monday, October 2, 2023 at 1:40:07 PM UTC-7, PeteWasLucky wrote:
    Gracchus <grac...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    On Monday, October 2, 2023 at 12:57:41 PM UTC-7, PeteWasLucky wrote:> > The companies studied the use of mRNA vaccines for flu, cytomegalovirus and other illnesses. None moved out of clinical > trials for years.> And somehow it was magically
    developed and approved for Covid in six months :) Not "magically." Wasn't development accelerated by the guy you plan to vote for next year?The prize is well-deserved for both scientists in this case and it's nice they both lived to see their work
    validated.Meanwhile, I received the latest version of this marvelous vaccine just last week. Thank you Karikó and Weissman!

I definitely wish for another respectable candidate. I believe we need switch back and forth between the two parties.

Has switching back and forth been working out well for the country? The only chance for REAL change is to enable *viable* additional parties or scrap the ones we have now and start over from scratch. I'm not expecting either scenario to unfold anytime
    soon.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From PeteWasLucky@21:1/5 to Gracchus on Mon Oct 2 18:37:37 2023
    On Monday, October 2, 2023 at 1:40:07PM UTC-7, PeteWasLucky wrote:> Gracchus <grac...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r > > On Monday, October 2, 2023 at 12:57:41 PM UTC-7, PeteWasLucky wrote:> > The companies studied the use of mRNA vaccines for flu,
    cytomegalovirus and other illnesses. None moved out of clinical > trials for years.> And somehow it was magically developed and approved for Covid in six months :) Not "magically." Wasn't development accelerated by the guy you plan to vote for next year?
    The prize is well-deserved for both scientists in this case and it's nice they both lived to see their work validated.Meanwhile, I received the latest version of this marvelous vaccine just last week. Thank you Karik and Weissman! > I don't want to vote
    for any of these two. > Biden is almost gone mentally and Trump we know the guy. > I definitely wish for another respectable candidate. I believe we need switch back and forth between the two parties. Has switching back and forth been working out well
    for the country? The only chance for REAL change is to enable *viable* additional parties or scrap the ones we have now and start over from scratch. I'm not expecting either scenario to unfold anytime soon.

Switching back and forth is the only way to prevent things from deteriorating badly and quickly since we know we aren't going to have additional parties.
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jdeluise@21:1/5 to PeteWasLucky on Mon Oct 2 14:49:25 2023
    PeteWasLucky <waleed.khedr@gmail.com> writes:

Switching back and forth is the only way to prevent things from
    deteriorating badly and quickly since we know we aren't going to have additional parties.

Haven't we been doing that already for a while?

Truman (D)
    Eisenhower (R)
    Kennedy (D)
    Johsnon (D)
    Nixon (R)
    Ford (R)
    Carter (D)
    Reagan (R)
    Bush (R)
    Clinton (D)
    Bush (R)
    Obama (D)
    Trump (R)
    Biden (D)

So you'd like the status quo, more or less?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to PeteWasLucky on Mon Oct 2 17:58:49 2023
    On 10/2/23 1:40 PM, PeteWasLucky wrote:
    On Monday, October 2, 2023 at 12:57:41PM UTC-7, PeteWasLucky wrote:> > The companies studied the use of mRNA vaccines for flu, cytomegalovirus and other illnesses. None moved out of clinical > trials for years.> And somehow it was magically developed
    and approved for Covid in six months :) Not "magically." Wasn't development accelerated by the guy you plan to vote for next year?The prize is well-deserved for both scientists in this case and it's nice they both lived to see their work validated.
    Meanwhile, I received the latest version of this marvelous vaccine just last week. Thank you Karikó and Weissman!

I think this would work, if there was a bit of integrity at the
    leadership level, but I just threw it in some years back.

I have become successfully alienated from our system of government. I am scuttling around in the shadows at the periphery, like a rat.

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandpa, not screaming in
    terror like the passengers in his car."

--Sawfish ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From PeteWasLucky@21:1/5 to jdeluise on Mon Oct 2 22:47:25 2023
    jdeluise <jdeluise@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    PeteWasLucky <waleed.khedr@gmail.com> writes:>> Switching back and forth is the only way to prevent things from> deteriorating badly and quickly since we know we aren't going to have> additional parties.Haven't we been doing that already for a while?
    Truman (D)Eisenhower (R)Kennedy (D)Johsnon (D)Nixon (R)Ford (R)Carter (D)Reagan (R)Bush (R)Clinton (D)Bush (R)Obama (D)Trump (R)Biden (D)So you'd like the status quo, more or less?

I wouldn't mind having a DD or RR pattern followed by a party flip as long as the current D or R is doing a good job, but I can't tolerate the current D for a second term.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jdeluise@21:1/5 to PeteWasLucky on Mon Oct 2 19:09:48 2023
    PeteWasLucky <waleed.khedr@gmail.com> writes:

PeteWasLucky <waleed.khedr@gmail.com> writes:>> Switching back and
    forth is the only way to prevent things from> deteriorating badly and
    quickly since we know we aren't going to have> additional
    parties.Haven't we been doing that already for a while?Truman
    (D)Eisenhower (R)Kennedy (D)Johsnon (D)Nixon (R)Ford (R)Carter
    (D)Reagan (R)Bush (R)Clinton (D)Bush (R)Obama (D)Trump (R)Biden (D)So
    you'd like the status quo, more or less?

I wouldn't mind having a DD or RR pattern followed by a party flip as
    long as the current D or R is doing a good job, but I can't tolerate
    the current D for a second term.

Biden's the best we've had since Clinton, I'd say. I'd rather not have
    him for another term due to his age, but if the alternative is Trump or DeSantis, I'd vote Biden in a heartbeat. He should lose Harris
    though... yeah maybe it'd be bad optics in the press but it'll pay big dividends in the election booth.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From PeteWasLucky@21:1/5 to jdeluise on Tue Oct 3 02:00:02 2023
    PeteWasLucky <waleed.khedr@gmail.com> writes:> jdeluise <jdeluise@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r>> PeteWasLucky <waleed.khedr@gmail.com> writes:>> Switching back and> forth is the only way to prevent things from> deteriorating badly and> quickly since
    we know we aren't going to have> additional> parties.Haven't we been doing that already for a while?Truman> (D)Eisenhower (R)Kennedy (D)Johsnon (D)Nixon (R)Ford (R)Carter> (D)Reagan (R)Bush (R)Clinton (D)Bush (R)Obama (D)Trump (R)Biden (D)So> you'd like
    the status quo, more or less?>> I wouldn't mind having a DD or RR pattern followed by a party flip as> long as the current D or R is doing a good job, but I can't tolerate> the current D for a second term.Biden's the best we've had since Clinton, I'd say.
    I'd rather not havehim for another term due to his age, but if the alternative is Trump orDeSantis, I'd vote Biden in a heartbeat. He should lose Harristhough... yeah maybe it'd be bad optics in the press but it'll pay bigdividends in the election
    booth.

Thanks for the message. We got it.
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Iceberg@21:1/5 to bmoore on Tue Oct 3 01:27:52 2023
    On Monday, 2 October 2023 at 20:37:59 UTC+1, bmoore wrote:
    On Monday, October 2, 2023 at 11:48:50 AM UTC-7, Pelle Svanslös wrote:
    Katalin Karikó and Drew Weissman, who together identified a chemical tweak to messenger RNA, were awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine on Monday. Their work enabled potent Covid vaccines to be made
    in less than a year, averting tens of millions of deaths and helping the world recover from the worst pandemic in a century.

Dr. Karikó, the 13th woman to win the prize, languished for many long years without funding or a permanent academic position, keeping her research afloat only by latching on to more senior scientists at the University of Pennsylvania who let her work with them. Unable to get a grant, she said she was told she was “not faculty quality” and was forced to retire from the university a decade ago. She remains only an adjunct professor there while she pursues plans to start a company with her daughter, Susan Francia, who has an M.B.A. and was a two-time

The mRNA work was especially frustrating, she said, because it was met with indifference and a lack of funds. She said she was motivated by
    more than not being called a quitter; as the work progressed, she saw small signs that her project could lead to better vaccines. “You don’t persevere and repeat and repeat just to say, ‘I am not giving up,’” she
    said.

States, and BioNTech, in Germany, where Dr. Karikó eventually became a senior vice president. The companies studied the use of mRNA vaccines
    for flu, cytomegalovirus and other illnesses. None moved out of clinical trials for years.

Cool.

what a surprise, a Marxist backing the biggest state and media oppression of people seen in our lifetimes, concentration camps, fines for going outside your own house, people banned from going to church even, for a virus that 99% always survived without
    any treatment, that didn't kill anyone under 55 and a third never had any symptoms of either, then a vax boosters that didn't work, but still you had unvaxed being banned in the USA until May 2023! Amazing. Have you heard this week the CDC admitted they "
    left out" vax results for those half-vaxed in 2021 stats cos it might've looked bad for their "pandemic of the unvaccinated" hoax? OHHH and even better the EUSSR and the UN now want a worldwide law to over-ride elected governments health policy! a total
    dream for your Marxists, yes?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Iceberg@21:1/5 to Gracchus on Tue Oct 3 01:22:32 2023
    On Monday, 2 October 2023 at 21:03:47 UTC+1, Gracchus wrote:
    On Monday, October 2, 2023 at 12:57:41 PM UTC-7, PeteWasLucky wrote:

trials for years.

Not "magically." Wasn't development accelerated by the guy you plan to vote for next year?

The prize is well-deserved for both scientists in this case and it's nice they both lived to see their work validated.

it was so good they had to get worldwide immunity from prosecution! what a scam of a prize LOL

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Iceberg@21:1/5 to PeteWasLucky on Tue Oct 3 04:20:20 2023
    On Tuesday, 3 October 2023 at 07:00:07 UTC+1, PeteWasLucky wrote:
    jdeluise <jdel...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    PeteWasLucky <waleed...@gmail.com> writes:> jdeluise <jdel...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r>> PeteWasLucky <waleed...@gmail.com> writes:>> Switching back and> forth is the only way to prevent things from> deteriorating badly and> quickly since we
    know we aren't going to have> additional> parties.Haven't we been doing that already for a while?Truman> (D)Eisenhower (R)Kennedy (D)Johsnon (D)Nixon (R)Ford (R)Carter> (D)Reagan (R)Bush (R)Clinton (D)Bush (R)Obama (D)Trump (R)Biden (D)So> you'd like the
    status quo, more or less?>> I wouldn't mind having a DD or RR pattern followed by a party flip as> long as the current D or R is doing a good job, but I can't tolerate> the current D for a second term.Biden's the best we've had since Clinton, I'd say. I'
    d rather not havehim for another term due to his age, but if the alternative is Trump orDeSantis, I'd vote Biden in a heartbeat. He should lose Harristhough... yeah maybe it'd be bad optics in the press but it'll pay bigdividends in the election booth.

Thanks for the message. We got it.

yes, jdeluise is going for comedy value and max trolling points. He could've done better by saying "Biden saved us from Trump, the greatest threat we've had to democracy in our lifetime", but a good effort from him.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05