• Re: OT: TV Show "Columbo"

From bmoore@21:1/5 to Shakes on Thu Sep 21 15:58:52 2023
    On Thursday, September 21, 2023 at 3:44:34 PM UTC-7, Shakes wrote:
    I saw this much later as this was before my time, but I still enjoyed
    it a lot.

Not sure how it will hold up today though. :)

One episode that I really liked was "Ransom For a Dead Man". Peter Falk
    was great, as usual, but I thought Lee Grant was fantastic (and
    beautiful too).

I was watching this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3-mP-li_tk

They had both William Shatner and Johnny Cash as the villains on separate occasions. Excellent television.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Shakes@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 21 22:44:31 2023
    it a lot.

beautiful too).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gracchus@21:1/5 to Gracchus on Thu Sep 21 16:31:48 2023
    On Thursday, September 21, 2023 at 4:15:23 PM UTC-7, Gracchus wrote:
    On Thursday, September 21, 2023 at 3:58:55 PM UTC-7, bmoore wrote:
    it a lot.

One episode that I really liked was "Ransom For a Dead Man". Peter Falk was great, as usual, but I thought Lee Grant was fantastic (and beautiful too).

They had both William Shatner and Johnny Cash as the villains on separate occasions. Excellent television.

Probably the best was Jack Cassidy. I think they used him three times. Nichol Williamson also was great.

Must say, though, that as fun as those episodes were (and they are still highly enjoyable), you see them today through a different lens after years of greater exposure to trial coverage. Many of Columbo's "gotchas" would never hold up in court and the
    villains would end up free via acquittals, mistrials, or dismissals.

But I'd still rather watch these any day than the "Law and Order" crap which more often than not follows a more convoluted version of the Perry Mason template wherein the villains--no matter how clever--go into a fugue state and make a full confession
    once police confront them with an inconsistency in their story. They either do this without a lawyer present or disregard their lawyer's explicit warning to shut up. It makes for an easy cut-and-dried ending, however incredibly stupid the scenario, and
    viewers continue to eat it up for some reason.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gracchus@21:1/5 to bmoore on Thu Sep 21 16:15:20 2023
    it a lot.

One episode that I really liked was "Ransom For a Dead Man". Peter Falk was great, as usual, but I thought Lee Grant was fantastic (and
    beautiful too).

Probably the best was Jack Cassidy. I think they used him three times. Nichol Williamson also was great.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From PeteWasLucky@21:1/5 to Shakes on Thu Sep 21 19:33:58 2023
    "Shakes" <kvcshake@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    I saw this much later as this was before my time, but I still enjoyedit a lot.Not sure how it will hold up today though. :)One episode that I really liked was "Ransom For a Dead Man". Peter Falkwas great, as usual, but I thought Lee Grant was fantastic
    (andbeautiful too).I was watching this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3-mP-li_tk

Good times, I enjoyed it plus many others.
    We are old :)
    --

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gracchus@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Thu Sep 21 16:41:09 2023
    On Thursday, September 21, 2023 at 4:38:03 PM UTC-7, Sawfish wrote:
    On 9/21/23 4:31 PM, Gracchus wrote:
    On Thursday, September 21, 2023 at 3:44:34 PM UTC-7, Shakes wrote: >>>> I saw this much later as this was before my time, but I still enjoyed >>>> it a lot.

One episode that I really liked was "Ransom For a Dead Man". Peter Falk >>>> was great, as usual, but I thought Lee Grant was fantastic (and
    beautiful too).

Must say, though, that as fun as those episodes were (and they are still highly enjoyable), you see them today through a different lens after years of greater exposure to trial coverage. Many of Columbo's "gotchas" would never hold up in court and
    the villains would end up free via acquittals, mistrials, or dismissals.

But I'd still rather watch these any day than the "Law and Order" crap which more often than not follows a more convoluted version of the Perry Mason template wherein the villains--no matter how clever--go into a fugue state and make a full
    confession once police confront them with an inconsistency in their story. They either do this without a lawyer present or disregard their lawyer's explicit warning to shut up. It makes for an easy cut-and-dried ending, however incredibly stupid the
    scenario, and viewers continue to eat it up for some reason.

This implies that much of the difference is in the viewers.

That's true. I may be speaking for myself in the different view of "Columbo" then versus now.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to Gracchus on Thu Sep 21 16:38:00 2023
    it a lot.

One episode that I really liked was "Ransom For a Dead Man". Peter Falk >>>> was great, as usual, but I thought Lee Grant was fantastic (and
    beautiful too).

Must say, though, that as fun as those episodes were (and they are still highly enjoyable), you see them today through a different lens after years of greater exposure to trial coverage. Many of Columbo's "gotchas" would never hold up in court and the

But I'd still rather watch these any day than the "Law and Order" crap which more often than not follows a more convoluted version of the Perry Mason template wherein the villains--no matter how clever--go into a fugue state and make a full confession
    once police confront them with an inconsistency in their story. They either do this without a lawyer present or disregard their lawyer's explicit warning to shut up. It makes for an easy cut-and-dried ending, however incredibly stupid the scenario, and

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "If we use Occam's Razor, whose razor will *he* use?" --Sawfish ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scall5@21:1/5 to Gracchus on Thu Sep 21 18:44:34 2023
    On 9/21/2023 6:15 PM, Gracchus wrote:
    it a lot.

beautiful too).

Columbo was an awesome show! Amazing how the viewer knew the actual
    villain within the first two minutes and yet the suspense was incredible
    until Detective Columbo finally presented his findings to the villain.
    No other show, that I am aware of, did that back then (and usually to
    this day). Superb television!
    --
    ---------------
    Scall5

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scall5@21:1/5 to Gracchus on Thu Sep 21 18:53:19 2023
    On 9/21/2023 6:41 PM, Gracchus wrote:
    On Thursday, September 21, 2023 at 3:44:34 PM UTC-7, Shakes wrote: >>>>>> I saw this much later as this was before my time, but I still enjoyed >>>>>> it a lot.

One episode that I really liked was "Ransom For a Dead Man". Peter Falk >>>>>> was great, as usual, but I thought Lee Grant was fantastic (and
    beautiful too).

Must say, though, that as fun as those episodes were (and they are still highly enjoyable), you see them today through a different lens after years of greater exposure to trial coverage. Many of Columbo's "gotchas" would never hold up in court and

But I'd still rather watch these any day than the "Law and Order" crap which more often than not follows a more convoluted version of the Perry Mason template wherein the villains--no matter how clever--go into a fugue state and make a full
    confession once police confront them with an inconsistency in their story. They either do this without a lawyer present or disregard their lawyer's explicit warning to shut up. It makes for an easy cut-and-dried ending, however incredibly stupid the

That's true. I may be speaking for myself in the different view of "Columbo" then versus now.

I have enjoyed Law and Order (original series only) a lot over the
    years. But I also knew in reality that defendants almost never take the
    stand; yet in the show it seemed to happen almost 100% of the time.
    Perhaps it was to 'conclude' a concrete win at the end of the show so
    the viewer isn't left hanging. Regardless, it's not accurate to real
    life trials, from what little I know about them.
    --
    ---------------
    Scall5

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gracchus@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 21 17:09:53 2023
    On Thursday, September 21, 2023 at 4:53:22 PM UTC-7, Scall5 wrote:
    On 9/21/2023 6:41 PM, Gracchus wrote:

I have enjoyed Law and Order (original series only) a lot over the
    years. But I also knew in reality that defendants almost never take the stand; yet in the show it seemed to happen almost 100% of the time.
    Perhaps it was to 'conclude' a concrete win at the end of the show so
    the viewer isn't left hanging. Regardless, it's not accurate to real
    life trials, from what little I know about them.

Yes, they take the stand nearly always on "Law and Order." And even worse then the highly-implausible confessions during police questioning are the confessions on the stand, also an old Perry Mason staple. There sits the ingenious villain--smooth, smug,
    and cool as a cucumber under cross-examination---until the D.A. prods them with that one "hot-button" issue to trigger them. This of course rattles the criminal's ego to its core, inducing (of course) a full confession before judge, jury, and gallery.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bmoore@21:1/5 to Gracchus on Thu Sep 21 17:14:39 2023
    On Thursday, September 21, 2023 at 4:31:50 PM UTC-7, Gracchus wrote:
    I saw this much later as this was before my time, but I still enjoyed it a lot.

was great, as usual, but I thought Lee Grant was fantastic (and beautiful too).

Doesn't matter. His pestering was so annoying that they confessed rather than having to keep listening to him :-)

"Oh yeah, one more thing."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Iceberg@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 22 03:01:19 2023
    On Friday, 22 September 2023 at 00:44:37 UTC+1, Scall5 wrote:
    On 9/21/2023 6:15 PM, Gracchus wrote:
    I saw this much later as this was before my time, but I still enjoyed >>> it a lot.

One episode that I really liked was "Ransom For a Dead Man". Peter Falk >>> was great, as usual, but I thought Lee Grant was fantastic (and
    beautiful too).

Columbo was an awesome show! Amazing how the viewer knew the actual
    villain within the first two minutes and yet the suspense was incredible until Detective Columbo finally presented his findings to the villain.
    No other show, that I am aware of, did that back then (and usually to
    this day). Superb television!

yes Brilliant show, credit to Gracchus for reminding of Jack Cassidy, awesome stuff! though personal fave was Louis Jourdan as the murdering restaurant reviewer.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Iceberg@21:1/5 to bmoore on Fri Sep 22 03:50:43 2023
    On Friday, 22 September 2023 at 01:14:41 UTC+1, bmoore wrote:
    On Thursday, September 21, 2023 at 4:31:50 PM UTC-7, Gracchus wrote:
    it a lot.

was great, as usual, but I thought Lee Grant was fantastic (and beautiful too).

Doesn't matter. His pestering was so annoying that they confessed rather than having to keep listening to him :-)

"Oh yeah, one more thing."

yes also why would they end up mistrials when the "boys down the lab" often proved stuff too? would just need to get Quincy to help out a bit.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gracchus@21:1/5 to The Iceberg on Fri Sep 22 04:53:42 2023
    On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 3:50:46 AM UTC-7, The Iceberg wrote:

yes also why would they end up mistrials when the "boys down the lab" often proved stuff too? would just need to get Quincy to help out a bit.

Sometimes they did have stuff like fingerprint and ballistics evidence, yes. I just remember a lot of Columbo endings where he trips the villain up on his story and then explains the chain of logic solving the mystery before uniformed officers take the
    guy into custody. A good defense attorney would have loads to work with in those situations. But hey, I still love the lieutenant.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gapp111@gmail.com@21:1/5 to bmoore on Fri Sep 22 07:19:56 2023
    On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 10:16:37 AM UTC-4, bmoore wrote:
    On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 4:53:45 AM UTC-7, Gracchus wrote:

Sometimes they did have stuff like fingerprint and ballistics evidence, yes. I just remember a lot of Columbo endings where he trips the villain up on his story and then explains the chain of logic solving the mystery before uniformed officers take
    the guy into custody. A good defense attorney would have loads to work with in those situations. But hey, I still love the lieutenant.
    You are right, but Columbo never gave up.

Did you know that Peter Falk had a glass eye? Rumor has it that was playing baseball and the ump called him out, and Peter Falk looked at the umpire, took his glass eye out and handed it to him, saying "You need this more than I do".

Falk, Gazzara and Cassavetes were three good pals, fine actors!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bmoore@21:1/5 to Gracchus on Fri Sep 22 07:16:35 2023

Sometimes they did have stuff like fingerprint and ballistics evidence, yes. I just remember a lot of Columbo endings where he trips the villain up on his story and then explains the chain of logic solving the mystery before uniformed officers take the
    guy into custody. A good defense attorney would have loads to work with in those situations. But hey, I still love the lieutenant.

Did you know that Peter Falk had a glass eye? Rumor has it that was playing baseball and the ump called him out, and Peter Falk looked at the umpire, took his glass eye out and handed it to him, saying "You need this more than I do".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bmoore@21:1/5 to gap...@gmail.com on Fri Sep 22 07:30:17 2023
    On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 7:19:57 AM UTC-7, gap...@gmail.com wrote:

Sometimes they did have stuff like fingerprint and ballistics evidence, yes. I just remember a lot of Columbo endings where he trips the villain up on his story and then explains the chain of logic solving the mystery before uniformed officers take
    the guy into custody. A good defense attorney would have loads to work with in those situations. But hey, I still love the lieutenant.

Peter Falk was in an interesting Wim Wenders movie called Wings of Desire, which included Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TT@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 22 19:42:23 2023
    bmoore kirjoitti 22.9.2023 klo 17.30:
    On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 3:50:46 AM UTC-7, The Iceberg wrote: >>>>

Peter Falk was in an interesting Wim Wenders movie called Wings of Desire, which included Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

Horrible, horribly pretentious movie.

There's also a Hollywood remake, with two of the most luminous stars of
    20th century...
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120632/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bmoore@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 22 11:15:42 2023
    On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 9:42:26 AM UTC-7, TT wrote:
    On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 4:53:45 AM UTC-7, Gracchus wrote: >>>> On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 3:50:46 AM UTC-7, The Iceberg wrote: >>>>

Sometimes they did have stuff like fingerprint and ballistics evidence, yes. I just remember a lot of Columbo endings where he trips the villain up on his story and then explains the chain of logic solving the mystery before uniformed officers
    take the guy into custody. A good defense attorney would have loads to work with in those situations. But hey, I still love the lieutenant.

Heh. Maybe you would enjoy the In-Laws, then? Peter Falk and Alan Arkin.

20th century...

Hollywood doesn't do pretentious as well as the Germans do :-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to bmoore on Fri Sep 22 11:40:50 2023
    On 9/22/23 11:15 AM, bmoore wrote:
    On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 4:53:45 AM UTC-7, Gracchus wrote: >>>>>> On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 3:50:46 AM UTC-7, The Iceberg wrote: >>>>>>

Sometimes they did have stuff like fingerprint and ballistics evidence, yes. I just remember a lot of Columbo endings where he trips the villain up on his story and then explains the chain of logic solving the mystery before uniformed officers
    take the guy into custody. A good defense attorney would have loads to work with in those situations. But hey, I still love the lieutenant.

20th century...

I never had any connection, at all, to Wenders' stuff.

FWIW, I can easily connect to Werner Herzog's body of work, which is
    sort of an idiosyncratic exploration of the strange and quirky aspect of humans--maybe a sort of meta exploration of quirkiness? First one I saw
    was Aguirre, and I could connect in some fashion to all of the others,
    although he is often too self-indulgent (he likes approach and I don't
    like it so much).

I think he did that film about a guy who saw himself as a grizzly bear
    at heart--perhaps mis-assigned at birth to the wrong species by the
    delivering physician.

A truly tragic case of inappropriate self-identification.

--
    --Sawfish ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Would someone please tell me what 'diddy-wah-diddy' means?" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bmoore@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Fri Sep 22 13:49:27 2023
    On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 11:40:57 AM UTC-7, Sawfish wrote:
    On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 10:16:37 AM UTC-4, bmoore wrote: >>>>> On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 4:53:45 AM UTC-7, Gracchus wrote: >>>>>> On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 3:50:46 AM UTC-7, The Iceberg wrote:

There's also a Hollywood remake, with two of the most luminous stars of >> 20th century...

sort of an idiosyncratic exploration of the strange and quirky aspect of humans--maybe a sort of meta exploration of quirkiness? First one I saw
    was Aguirre, and I could connect in some fashion to all of the others, although he is often too self-indulgent (he likes approach and I don't
    like it so much).

at heart--perhaps mis-assigned at birth to the wrong species by the delivering physician.

The bear movie!

Yes, another example of weird directors. A weird and poignant story. And yes, quite tragic.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to bmoore on Fri Sep 22 13:55:36 2023
    On 9/22/23 1:49 PM, bmoore wrote:
    On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 10:16:37 AM UTC-4, bmoore wrote: >>>>>>> On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 4:53:45 AM UTC-7, Gracchus wrote: >>>>>>>> On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 3:50:46 AM UTC-7, The Iceberg wrote:

Heh. Maybe you would enjoy the In-Laws, then? Peter Falk and Alan Arkin. >>>
    There's also a Hollywood remake, with two of the most luminous stars of >>>> 20th century...

sort of an idiosyncratic exploration of the strange and quirky aspect of
    humans--maybe a sort of meta exploration of quirkiness? First one I saw
    was Aguirre, and I could connect in some fashion to all of the others,
    like it so much).

delivering physician.

The bear movie!

Yes, another example of weird directors. A weird and poignant story. And yes, quite tragic.

I heard they found little bits of his pecker, cached up for later, under
    a fallen tree.

;^)

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Favorite tattoo:

BORN TOULOUSE

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bmoore@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Fri Sep 22 14:10:53 2023
    On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 1:55:40 PM UTC-7, Sawfish wrote:
    On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 10:16:37 AM UTC-4, bmoore wrote: >>>>>>> On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 4:53:45 AM UTC-7, Gracchus wrote: >>>>>>>> On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 3:50:46 AM UTC-7, The Iceberg wrote:

Heh. Maybe you would enjoy the In-Laws, then? Peter Falk and Alan Arkin. >>>
    There's also a Hollywood remake, with two of the most luminous stars of >>>> 20th century...

sort of an idiosyncratic exploration of the strange and quirky aspect of >> humans--maybe a sort of meta exploration of quirkiness? First one I saw >> was Aguirre, and I could connect in some fashion to all of the others,
    like it so much).

delivering physician.

The bear movie!

a fallen tree.

;^)

Really? Ick. No, you are kidding.

That was a hard movie to watch. Especially cuz it's true.

Ever seen the piranha movie with severed dick ? The one with Richard Dreyfuss getting devoured at the start was great.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to bmoore on Fri Sep 22 14:56:14 2023
    On 9/22/23 2:10 PM, bmoore wrote:
    On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 10:16:37 AM UTC-4, bmoore wrote: >>>>>>>>> On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 4:53:45 AM UTC-7, Gracchus wrote: >>>>>>>>>> On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 3:50:46 AM UTC-7, The Iceberg wrote:

Falk, Gazzara and Cassavetes were three good pals, fine actors! >>>>>>> Peter Falk was in an interesting Wim Wenders movie called Wings of Desire, which included Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.
    Heh. Maybe you would enjoy the In-Laws, then? Peter Falk and Alan Arkin. >>>>>
    There's also a Hollywood remake, with two of the most luminous stars of >>>>>> 20th century...

sort of an idiosyncratic exploration of the strange and quirky aspect of >>>> humans--maybe a sort of meta exploration of quirkiness? First one I saw >>>> was Aguirre, and I could connect in some fashion to all of the others, >>>> although he is often too self-indulgent (he likes approach and I don't >>>> like it so much).

I think he did that film about a guy who saw himself as a grizzly bear >>>> at heart--perhaps mis-assigned at birth to the wrong species by the
    delivering physician.

The bear movie!

a fallen tree.

;^)
    Yes.

Yeah it was.

You could see that he wanted desperately to believe in an alternate
    reality for some strange reasons of personal insecurity or low self
    esteem--he needed something that just plain wasn't there in his life,
    and he was filling it this way. You could see that it was going to end
    badly.

As I recall from the film (although you should not trust Herzog too far
    on anything) he was getting along OK with the bears, but a young male
    joined the ursine community and thought he was some being kind of a
    smart alec and so he shredded him.

Ever seen the piranha movie with severed dick ? The one with Richard Dreyfuss getting devoured at the start was great.
    No, but if Dreyfus was eaten sooner rather than later, that recommends
    the film highly.

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Confidence: the food of the wise man and the liquor of the fool."

--Sawfish ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Iceberg@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Fri Sep 22 15:33:35 2023
    On Friday, 22 September 2023 at 22:56:18 UTC+1, Sawfish wrote:
    On 9/22/23 2:10 PM, bmoore wrote:
    On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 11:40:57 AM UTC-7, Sawfish wrote: >>>> On 9/22/23 11:15 AM, bmoore wrote:
    On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 10:16:37 AM UTC-4, bmoore wrote: >>>>>>>>> On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 4:53:45 AM UTC-7, Gracchus wrote:

Sometimes they did have stuff like fingerprint and ballistics evidence, yes. I just remember a lot of Columbo endings where he trips the villain up on his story and then explains the chain of logic solving the mystery before uniformed
    officers take the guy into custody. A good defense attorney would have loads to work with in those situations. But hey, I still love the lieutenant.

Falk, Gazzara and Cassavetes were three good pals, fine actors! >>>>>>> Peter Falk was in an interesting Wim Wenders movie called Wings of Desire, which included Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

20th century...

FWIW, I can easily connect to Werner Herzog's body of work, which is >>>> sort of an idiosyncratic exploration of the strange and quirky aspect of
    humans--maybe a sort of meta exploration of quirkiness? First one I saw >>>> was Aguirre, and I could connect in some fashion to all of the others, >>>> although he is often too self-indulgent (he likes approach and I don't >>>> like it so much).

I think he did that film about a guy who saw himself as a grizzly bear >>>> at heart--perhaps mis-assigned at birth to the wrong species by the >>>> delivering physician.

The bear movie!

I heard they found little bits of his pecker, cached up for later, under >> a fallen tree.

;^)
    Yes.

Yeah it was.

You could see that he wanted desperately to believe in an alternate
    reality for some strange reasons of personal insecurity or low self esteem--he needed something that just plain wasn't there in his life,
    and he was filling it this way. You could see that it was going to end badly.

on anything) he was getting along OK with the bears, but a young male
    joined the ursine community and thought he was some being kind of a

no it wasn't cos of the young male, all the bears liked him or rather didn't care about him until winter came along and food became more scarce, then they got hungry! cos they're friggign bears!! watched it with friends back when it came out and like you
    guys, they kept going on about how he was mentally ill, totally disagree, he just seemed plain stupid and like some idealist type who thought he could live with wild animals and they would be friends to him like dogs + he thought others might come and
    join with him on the adventure. It's not much different than Pelle saying that one day mass immigration will work wonderfully for everyone or that going to net zero CO2 will save the planet from its weather or thinking South Africa will work perfectly
    once we get rid of apartheid(not having a dig just saying it's similar idealism, when it's plain stupid if you consider what you're dealing with).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From PeteWasLucky@21:1/5 to Shakes on Fri Sep 22 20:34:18 2023
    I saw this much later as this was before my time, but I still enjoyedit a lot.Not sure how it will hold up today though. :)One episode that I really liked was "Ransom For a Dead Man". Peter Falkwas great, as usual, but I thought Lee Grant was fantastic
    (andbeautiful too).I was watching this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3-mP-li_tk

What about "Barnaby Jones", "McCloud" and his horse racing in SF streets, "Police woman", "Rockford", etc?

This is what I wasted my teen's hours on.

Then I got my first home computer, TI 99/4A :)

I got this one for its advanced graphics over the popular ones: sinclair and commodore :)

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to PeteWasLucky on Fri Sep 22 21:39:07 2023
    On 9/22/23 5:34 PM, PeteWasLucky wrote:
    I saw this much later as this was before my time, but I still enjoyedit a lot.Not sure how it will hold up today though. :)One episode that I really liked was "Ransom For a Dead Man". Peter Falkwas great, as usual, but I thought Lee Grant was
    fantastic (andbeautiful too).I was watching this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3-mP-li_tk
    What about "Barnaby Jones", "McCloud" and his horse racing in SF streets, "Police woman", "Rockford", etc?

Yeah!

Was that the black keyboard that you connected to a TV?

I got this one for its advanced graphics over the popular ones: sinclair and commodore :)

--
    "I done created myself a monster."

--Juan Carlos Ferrero ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TT@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 23 10:09:12 2023
    PeteWasLucky kirjoitti 23.9.2023 klo 3.34:

I only know Columbo and McCloud from those.

Remember vaguely horse riding on streets. Remember better this scene...

https://youtu.be/7N6nK-_lnMk?si=hxYAuNPFx9sFmgfI

Best ever. Also mad props for McCloud's jamming.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TT@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 23 10:18:13 2023
    The Iceberg kirjoitti 23.9.2023 klo 1.33:
    and like you guys, they kept going on about how he was mentally ill, totally disagree

This scene has stayed with me...

https://youtu.be/9b5yI9-uUUU?si=2QAs45Xx-QR1qqHS

Yes, the man was nuts.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From PeteWasLucky@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Sat Sep 23 08:54:46 2023
    Sawfish <sawfish666@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    On 9/22/23 5:34 PM, PeteWasLucky wrote:> "Shakes" <kvcshake@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r>> I saw this much later as this was before my time, but I still enjoyedit a lot.Not sure how it will hold up today though. :)One episode that I really liked was "
    Ransom For a Dead Man". Peter Falkwas great, as usual, but I thought Lee Grant was fantastic (andbeautiful too).I was watching this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3-mP-li_tk> What about "Barnaby Jones", "McCloud" and his horse racing in SF
    streets, "Police woman", "Rockford", etc?>> This is what I wasted my teen's hours on.>> Then I got my first home computer, TI 99/4A :)Yeah!Was that the black keyboard that you connected to a TV?>> I got this one for its advanced graphics over the popular
    ones: sinclair and commodore :)>>-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"I done created myself a monster." --Juan Carlos Ferrero~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This one
    https://youtu.be/uZEJ8-i-Kk0?si=8fcXW2MuVoMGuX6w

It had great game cartridges at that time, with speech and graphics.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TT@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 23 17:21:47 2023
    UGV0ZVdhc0x1Y2t5IGtpcmpvaXR0aSAyMy45LjIwMjMga2xvIDE1LjU0Og0KPiBTYXdmaXNo IDxzYXdmaXNoNjY2QGdtYWlsLmNvbT4gV3JvdGUgaW4gbWVzc2FnZTpyDQo+PiBPbiA5LzIy LzIzIDU6MzQgUE0sIFBldGVXYXNMdWNreSB3cm90ZTo+ICJTaGFrZXMiIDxrdmNzaGFrZUBn bWFpbC5jb20+IFdyb3RlIGluIG1lc3NhZ2U6cj4+IEkgc2F3IHRoaXMgbXVjaCBsYXRlciBh cyB0aGlzIHdhcyBiZWZvcmUgbXkgdGltZSwgYnV0IEkgc3RpbGwgZW5qb3llZGl0IGEgbG90 Lk5vdCBzdXJlIGhvdyBpdCB3aWxsIGhvbGQgdXAgdG9kYXkgdGhvdWdoLiA6KU9uZSBlcGlz b2RlIHRoYXQgSSByZWFsbHkgbGlrZWQgd2FzICJSYW5zb20gRm9yIGEgRGVhZCBNYW4iLiBQ ZXRlciBGYWxrd2FzIGdyZWF0LCBhcyB1c3VhbCwgYnV0IEkgdGhvdWdodCBMZWUgR3JhbnQg d2FzIGZhbnRhc3RpYyAoYW5kYmVhdXRpZnVsIHRvbykuSSB3YXMgd2F0Y2hpbmcgdGhpcyBj bGlwOiBodHRwczovL3d3dy55b3V0dWJlLmNvbS93YXRjaD92PXUzLW1QLWxpX3RrPiBXaGF0 IGFib3V0ICJCYXJuYWJ5IEpvbmVzIiwgIk1jQ2xvdWQiIGFuZCBoaXMgaG9yc2UgcmFjaW5n IGluIFNGIHN0cmVldHMsICJQb2xpY2Ugd29tYW4iLCAiUm9ja2ZvcmQiLCBldGM/Pj4gVGhp cyBpcyB3aGF0IEkgd2FzdGVkIG15IHRlZW4ncyBob3VycyBvbi4+PiBUaGVuIEkgZ290IG15 IGZpcnN0IGhvbWUgY29tcHV0ZXIsIFRJIDk5LzRBIDopWWVhaCFXYXMgdGhhdCB0aGUgYmxh Y2sga2V5Ym9hcmQgdGhhdCB5b3UgY29ubmVjdGVkIHRvIGEgVFY/Pj4gSSBnb3QgdGhpcyBv bmUgZm9yIGl0cyBhZHZhbmNlZCBncmFwaGljcyBvdmVyIHRoZSBwb3B1bGFyIG9uZXM6IHNp bmNsYWlyIGFuZCBjb21tb2RvcmUgOik+Pi0tIH5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+ fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fiJJIGRv bmUgY3JlYXRlZCBteXNlbGYgYSBtb25zdGVyLiIgIC0tSnVhbiBDYXJsb3MgRmVycmVyb35+ fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+ fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fg0KPiANCj4gVGhpcyBvbmUNCj4gaHR0cHM6Ly95b3V0dS5i ZS91WkVKOC1pLUtrMD9zaT04ZmNYVzJNdVZvTUd1WDZ3DQo+IA0KPiBJdCBoYWQgZ3JlYXQg Z2FtZSBjYXJ0cmlkZ2VzIGF0IHRoYXQgdGltZSwgd2l0aCBzcGVlY2ggYW5kIGdyYXBoaWNz Lg0KPiANCg0KRG9ua2V5IEtvbmcgbG9va3MgcHJldHR5IGdvb2QuDQo=

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From PeteWasLucky@21:1/5 to TT@dprk.kp on Sat Sep 23 13:14:11 2023
    TT <TT@dprk.kp> Wrote in message:r
    PeteWasLucky kirjoitti 23.9.2023 klo 15.54:> Sawfish <sawfish666@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r>> On 9/22/23 5:34 PM, PeteWasLucky wrote:> "Shakes" <kvcshake@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r>> I saw this much later as this was before my time, but I still
    enjoyedit a lot.Not sure how it will hold up today though. :)One episode that I really liked was "Ransom For a Dead Man". Peter Falkwas great, as usual, but I thought Lee Grant was fantastic (andbeautiful too).I was watching this clip: https://www.
    youtube.com/watch?v=u3-mP-li_tk> What about "Barnaby Jones", "McCloud" and his horse racing in SF streets, "Police woman", "Rockford", etc?>> This is what I wasted my teen's hours on.>> Then I got my first home computer, TI 99/4A :)Yeah!Was that the
    black keyboard that you connected to a TV?>> I got this one for its advanced graphics over the popular ones: sinclair and commodore :)>>-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"I done created myself a monster." --
    Juan Carlos Ferrero~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> > This one> https://youtu.be/uZEJ8-i-Kk0?si=8fcXW2MuVoMGuX6w> > It had great game cartridges at that time, with speech and graphics.> Donkey Kong looks pretty
    good.

They had many great games then. They had great graphics since it had graphics processor. Also you could buy speech synthesizer.

This was a good game
    https://youtu.be/C8o_Wj7BkIo?si=cILliZRPh3KDbnz7

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TT@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 23 22:02:42 2023
    UGV0ZVdhc0x1Y2t5IGtpcmpvaXR0aSAyMy45LjIwMjMga2xvIDIwLjE0Og0KPiBUVCA8VFRA ZHByay5rcD4gV3JvdGUgaW4gbWVzc2FnZTpyDQo+PiBQZXRlV2FzTHVja3kga2lyam9pdHRp IDIzLjkuMjAyMyBrbG8gMTUuNTQ6PiBTYXdmaXNoIDxzYXdmaXNoNjY2QGdtYWlsLmNvbT4g V3JvdGUgaW4gbWVzc2FnZTpyPj4gT24gOS8yMi8yMyA1OjM0IFBNLCBQZXRlV2FzTHVja3kg d3JvdGU6PiAiU2hha2VzIiA8a3Zjc2hha2VAZ21haWwuY29tPiBXcm90ZSBpbiBtZXNzYWdl OnI+PiBJIHNhdyB0aGlzIG11Y2ggbGF0ZXIgYXMgdGhpcyB3YXMgYmVmb3JlIG15IHRpbWUs IGJ1dCBJIHN0aWxsIGVuam95ZWRpdCBhIGxvdC5Ob3Qgc3VyZSBob3cgaXQgd2lsbCBob2xk IHVwIHRvZGF5IHRob3VnaC4gOilPbmUgZXBpc29kZSB0aGF0IEkgcmVhbGx5IGxpa2VkIHdh cyAiUmFuc29tIEZvciBhIERlYWQgTWFuIi4gUGV0ZXIgRmFsa3dhcyBncmVhdCwgYXMgdXN1 YWwsIGJ1dCBJIHRob3VnaHQgTGVlIEdyYW50IHdhcyBmYW50YXN0aWMgKGFuZGJlYXV0aWZ1 bCB0b28pLkkgd2FzIHdhdGNoaW5nIHRoaXMgY2xpcDogaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cueW91dHViZS5j b20vd2F0Y2g/dj11My1tUC1saV90az4gV2hhdCBhYm91dCAiQmFybmFieSBKb25lcyIsICJN Y0Nsb3VkIiBhbmQgaGlzIGhvcnNlIHJhY2luZyBpbiBTRiBzdHJlZXRzLCAiUG9saWNlIHdv bWFuIiwgIlJvY2tmb3JkIiwgZXRjPz4+IFRoaXMgaXMgd2hhdCBJIHdhc3RlZCBteSB0ZWVu J3MgaG91cnMgb24uPj4gVGhlbiBJIGdvdCBteSBmaXJzdCBob21lIGNvbXB1dGVyLCBUSSA5 OS80QSA6KVllYWghV2FzIHRoYXQgdGhlIGJsYWNrIGtleWJvYXJkIHRoYXQgeW91IGNvbm5l Y3RlZCB0byBhIFRWPz4+IEkgZ290IHRoaXMgb25lIGZvciBpdHMgYWR2YW5jZWQgZ3JhcGhp Y3Mgb3ZlciB0aGUgcG9wdWxhciBvbmVzOiBzaW5jbGFpciBhbmQgY29tbW9kb3JlIDopPj4t LSB+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+ fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn4iSSBkb25lIGNyZWF0ZWQgbXlzZWxmIGEgbW9uc3Rl ci4iICAtLUp1YW4gQ2FybG9zIEZlcnJlcm9+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+ fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn4+ID4gVGhp cyBvbmU+IGh0dHBzOi8veW91dHUuYmUvdVpFSjgtaS1LazA/c2k9OGZjWFcyTXVWb01HdVg2 dz4gPiBJdCBoYWQgZ3JlYXQgZ2FtZSBjYXJ0cmlkZ2VzIGF0IHRoYXQgdGltZSwgd2l0aCBz cGVlY2ggYW5kIGdyYXBoaWNzLj4gRG9ua2V5IEtvbmcgbG9va3MgcHJldHR5IGdvb2QuDQo+ IA0KPiBUaGV5IGhhZCBtYW55IGdyZWF0IGdhbWVzIHRoZW4uIFRoZXkgaGFkIGdyZWF0IGdy YXBoaWNzIHNpbmNlIGl0IGhhZCBncmFwaGljcyBwcm9jZXNzb3IuIEFsc28geW91IGNvdWxk IGJ1eSBzcGVlY2ggc3ludGhlc2l6ZXIuDQo+IA0KPiBUaGlzIHdhcyBhIGdvb2QgZ2FtZQ0K PiBodHRwczovL3lvdXR1LmJlL0M4b19XajdCa0lvP3NpPWNJTGxpWlJQaDNLRGJuejcNCj4g DQo+IA0KPiANCg0KTG9va3Mgb2suDQoNCkl0J3Mgb2J2aW91c2x5IGluc3BpcmVkIGJ5IFNj cmFtYmxlLi4uDQpodHRwczovL3lvdXR1LmJlLzNWYy1SSWtwazQwP3NpPUIyTjVSazhKc0xk c1lCeUINCg0KDQoNCi0tIA0KV2FpdGluZyBmb3IgdGhlIG1hcmtldCBjcmFzaA0KDQo=

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Iceberg@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 23 12:55:25 2023
    On Saturday, 23 September 2023 at 20:02:47 UTC+1, TT wrote:
    PeteWasLucky kirjoitti 23.9.2023 klo 20.14:
    TT <T...@dprk.kp> Wrote in message:r
    PeteWasLucky kirjoitti 23.9.2023 klo 15.54:> Sawfish <sawfi...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r>> On 9/22/23 5:34 PM, PeteWasLucky wrote:> "Shakes" <kvcs...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r>> I saw this much later as this was before my time, but I still
    enjoyedit a lot.Not sure how it will hold up today though. :)One episode that I really liked was "Ransom For a Dead Man". Peter Falkwas great, as usual, but I thought Lee Grant was fantastic (andbeautiful too).I was watching this clip: https://www.
    youtube.com/watch?v=u3-mP-li_tk> What about "Barnaby Jones", "McCloud" and his horse racing in SF streets, "Police woman", "Rockford", etc?>> This is what I wasted my teen's hours on.>> Then I got my first home computer, TI 99/4A :)Yeah!Was that the
    black keyboard that you connected to a TV?>> I got this one for its advanced graphics over the popular ones: sinclair and commodore :)>>-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"I done created myself a monster." --
    Juan Carlos Ferrero~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> > This one> https://youtu.be/uZEJ8-i-Kk0?si=8fcXW2MuVoMGuX6w> > It had great game cartridges at that time, with speech and graphics.> Donkey Kong looks pretty
    good.

They had many great games then. They had great graphics since it had graphics processor. Also you could buy speech synthesizer.

This was a good game
    https://youtu.be/C8o_Wj7BkIo?si=cILliZRPh3KDbnz7

Looks ok.

It's obviously inspired by Scramble... https://youtu.be/3Vc-RIkpk40?si=B2N5Rk8JsLdsYByB

oh that game ruled!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gracchus@21:1/5 to The Iceberg on Sat Sep 23 16:38:29 2023
    On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 3:33:37 PM UTC-7, The Iceberg wrote:
    On Friday, 22 September 2023 at 22:56:18 UTC+1, Sawfish wrote:

on anything) he was getting along OK with the bears, but a young male joined the ursine community and thought he was some being kind of a

no it wasn't cos of the young male, all the bears liked him or rather didn't care about him until winter came along and food became more scarce, then they got hungry! cos they're friggign bears!! watched it with friends back when it came out and like
    you guys, they kept going on about how he was mentally ill, totally disagree, he just seemed plain stupid and like some idealist type who thought he could live with wild animals and they would be friends to him like dogs + he thought others might come
    and join with him on the adventure.

The guy was obviously mentally ill. Probably bipolar from the story of him going into a tailspin by losing the role on "Cheers" and then the weird manic scenes in the film indicative of an expectation (or hope?) that the bears would eventually kill him.
    No, this wasn't simple idealism or even old-fashioned stupidity. Even a barely functional retarded person wouldn't stand in a field watching grizzlies fight while he chatted to the camera like it's Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gracchus@21:1/5 to bmoore on Sat Sep 23 16:42:51 2023
    On Friday, September 22, 2023 at 11:15:45 AM UTC-7, bmoore wrote:

A classic written by Andrew Bergman (I think) and still is very funny. Falk and Arkin had great chemistry.

There's also a Hollywood remake, with two of the most luminous stars of 20th century...

Made for no good reason with no link to the original and no value.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From grif@21:1/5 to PeteWasLucky on Sun Sep 24 00:20:07 2023
    On 23/09/2023 01:34, PeteWasLucky wrote:
    I saw this much later as this was before my time, but I still enjoyedit a lot.Not sure how it will hold up today though. :)One episode that I really liked was "Ransom For a Dead Man". Peter Falkwas great, as usual, but I thought Lee Grant was
    fantastic (andbeautiful too).I was watching this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3-mP-li_tk

Ah, the great home computer GOAT wars https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrQBbxb6wB0

The story of one of the most influential video games of all time, Tetris https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BLM1naCfME

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gracchus@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Sat Sep 23 21:01:52 2023
    On Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 8:28:03 PM UTC-7, Sawfish wrote:
    On 9/23/23 4:42 PM, Gracchus wrote:

A classic written by Andrew Bergman (I think) and still is very funny. Falk and Arkin had great chemistry.

There's also a Hollywood remake, with two of the most luminous stars of >>> 20th century...

Diverting, did you buy Arkin as Yossarian?

I didn't. AS poor an actor as Elliot Gould is, I think he would have
    been better.

I haven't seen that film. Certainly he's not right for every role, but he's versatile. Bergaman conceived and wrote the script for "The In-Laws" with Falk and Arkin in mind. Naturally everything fit. No strong feelings about Elliott Gould. I've seen him
    in things where he was OK.

One case was "The Long Goodbye." I didn't like the idea of Philip Marlowe in a then-contemporary setting at all. Yet the result is kind of fun.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to Gracchus on Sat Sep 23 20:27:57 2023

20th century...

been better.

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Man! I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!"
    --Sawfish

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TT@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 24 07:49:09 2023
    Gracchus kirjoitti 24.9.2023 klo 2.42:
    20th century...

There's always some value with Meg Ryan romantic comedies.

Definitely better than Michael (1996), the angel film with Travolta.
    Then again that's not saying much.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TT@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 24 07:59:26 2023
    Gracchus kirjoitti 24.9.2023 klo 7.01:
    No strong feelings about Elliott Gould. I've seen him in things where he was OK

I don't think I have. One gets tired pretty quickly of his blabbering characters.

Maybe he was ok at The Long Goodbye, but I didn't like film.

Maybe he was ok at Capricorn One, don't remember, but that was a decent
    film at least.

Somewhat good, or at least fitting for the role at "California Split".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gracchus@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 23 22:06:31 2023
    On Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 9:59:31 PM UTC-7, TT wrote:
    I don't think I have. One gets tired pretty quickly of his blabbering characters.

film at least.

"OK" wasn't meant as high praise. :)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Iceberg@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 24 03:52:26 2023
    On Sunday, 24 September 2023 at 05:49:12 UTC+1, TT wrote:
    There's also a Hollywood remake, with two of the most luminous stars of >>> 20th century...

only reason people didn't like Michael is cos the media were upset at Travolta and all his Sciento stuff when it came out, was like Battlefield Earth, which wasn't that bad either, least nothing like as bad as the paid-off stereotypical critics who like
    boring trash like Arrival said it was, Starship Troopers was almost the same film in fact. Anyway didn't care about any of that and found Michael quite an amusing film, thought Travolta worked well with Andi McDowell.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Iceberg@21:1/5 to Gracchus on Sun Sep 24 03:50:34 2023
    On Sunday, 24 September 2023 at 06:06:33 UTC+1, Gracchus wrote:

Maybe he was ok at Capricorn One, don't remember, but that was a decent film at least.

isn't Elliot Gould like Robert de Niro, he always plays himself? worked really well in Capricorn One and the Oceans Eleven films.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gapp111@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 24 07:12:09 2023
    On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 12:59:31 AM UTC-4, TT wrote:

film at least.

MASH

The performances have a lot to do with the movie's success. Elliott Gould and Donald Sutherland are two genuinely funny actors; they don't have to make themselves ridiculous to get a laugh. They're funny because their humor comes so directly from their
    personalities. They underplay everything (and Sutherland and Gould trying to downstage each other could eventually lead to complete paralysis).

Strangely enough, they're convincing as surgeons. During operations, covered with blood and gore, they mutter their way through running commentaries that sound totally professional. Sawing and hacking away at a parade of bodies, they should be driving us
    away, but they don't. We can take the unusually high gore-level in "MASH" because it is originally part of the movie's logic. If the surgeons didn't have to face the daily list of maimed and mutilated bodies, none of the rest of their lives would make
    any sense.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From PeteWasLucky@21:1/5 to gap...@gmail.com on Sun Sep 24 10:53:53 2023
    "gap...@gmail.com" <gapp111@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 12:59:31AM UTC-4, TT wrote:> Gracchus kirjoitti 24.9.2023 klo 7.01: > > No strong feelings about Elliott Gould. I've seen him in things where he was OK> I don't think I have. One gets tired pretty quickly of his
    blabbering > characters. > > Maybe he was ok at The Long Goodbye, but I didn't like film. > > Maybe he was ok at Capricorn One, don't remember, but that was a decent > film at least. > > Somewhat good, or at least fitting for the role at "California
    Split".MASHThe performances have a lot to do with the movie's success. Elliott Gould and Donald Sutherland are two genuinely funny actors; they don't have to make themselves ridiculous to get a laugh. They're funny because their humor comes so directly
    from their personalities. They underplay everything (and Sutherland and Gould trying to downstage each other could eventually lead to complete paralysis).Strangely enough, they're convincing as surgeons. During operations, covered with blood and gore,
    they mutter their way through running commentaries that sound totally professional. Sawing and hacking away at a parade of bodies, they should be driving us away, but they don't. We can take the unusually high gore-level in "MASH" because it is
    originally part of the movie's logic. If the surgeons didn't have to face the daily list of maimed and mutilated bodies, none of the rest of their lives would make any sense.

I was like wow, guppy wrote a full paragraph instead of his usual 2-5 words. But then realized it was a copy and paste, not bad, guppy learned new skills :)

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/mash-1970#:~:text=Strangely%20enough%2C%20they're%20convincing,%2C%20but%20they%20don't.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to Gracchus on Sun Sep 24 08:54:47 2023
    On 9/23/23 9:01 PM, Gracchus wrote:

Heh. Maybe you would enjoy the In-Laws, then? Peter Falk and Alan Arkin. >>> A classic written by Andrew Bergman (I think) and still is very funny. Falk and Arkin had great chemistry.

There's also a Hollywood remake, with two of the most luminous stars of >>>>> 20th century...
    been better.
    I haven't seen that film. Certainly he's not right for every role, but he's versatile. Bergaman conceived and wrote the script for "The In-Laws" with Falk and Arkin in mind. Naturally everything fit. No strong feelings about Elliott Gould. I've seen
    him in things where he was OK.

One case was "The Long Goodbye." I didn't like the idea of Philip Marlowe in a then-contemporary setting at all. Yet the result is kind of fun.

I never really liked Arkin all that much--his roles, I guess--but I
    really liked him in The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming!

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. But give a man a boat,
    a case of beer, and a few sticks of dynamite..." -- Sawfish

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to The Iceberg on Sun Sep 24 09:02:29 2023
    On 9/24/23 3:50 AM, The Iceberg wrote:
    On Sunday, 24 September 2023 at 06:06:33 UTC+1, Gracchus wrote:
    I don't think I have. One gets tired pretty quickly of his blabbering
    characters.

film at least.

isn't Elliot Gould like Robert de Niro, he always plays himself? worked really well in Capricorn One and the Oceans Eleven films.

I didn't see any of those, so I don't know. But he has no other
    character to play but himself, that's right.

I used to think that Brad Pitt was Redford's follow-on, but he actually
    has greater range. In a way he has to work against who he is perceived
    to be by audiences, like Redford. All-American golden boy for whom
    everything comes easy.

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Sawfish: He talks the talk...but does he walk the walk? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 24 08:58:49 2023
    On 9/23/23 9:59 PM, TT wrote:
    No strong feelings about Elliott Gould. I've seen him in things where
    he was OK

I'm now thinking that you'd have to know and like LA--the Santa
    Monica/Sunset corridor--to find anything in it, at all.

For my 21st birthday, my college roommate took me to a bunch of topless
    bars on Santa Monica. Great birthday present!

Maybe he was ok at Capricorn One, don't remember, but that was a
    decent film at least.

MASH was OK, but he didn't talk much. He was basically Sutherland's 2nd
    banana.

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "The difference between a democracy and a dictatorship is that in a democracy you vote first and take orders later; in a dictatorship you don’t have to waste your time voting."

--Charles Bukowski ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to Gracchus on Sun Sep 24 08:53:01 2023
    On 9/23/23 9:01 PM, Gracchus wrote:

Heh. Maybe you would enjoy the In-Laws, then? Peter Falk and Alan Arkin. >>> A classic written by Andrew Bergman (I think) and still is very funny. Falk and Arkin had great chemistry.

There's also a Hollywood remake, with two of the most luminous stars of >>>>> 20th century...
    been better.
    I haven't seen that film. Certainly he's not right for every role, but he's versatile. Bergaman conceived and wrote the script for "The In-Laws" with Falk and Arkin in mind. Naturally everything fit. No strong feelings about Elliott Gould. I've seen
    him in things where he was OK.
    Very mediocre, with only one character setting, a kind of harmless shlub.

One case was "The Long Goodbye." I didn't like the idea of Philip Marlowe in a then-contemporary setting at all.

That's for damned sure!

And feeling he had to cater to his cat. Not Marlowe.

Nice car, though.

Yet the result is kind of fun.

It was. The scene where the hip 70's Jewish crime boss comes to
    Marlowe's apt and says something like:

"I should be at temple, but I have to stand here and talk to you."

The *idea* that the guy would ever go to a religious service, in
    Hollywood, on a Friday evening, was absurd, but more absurd still was
    that, you know, maybe Jewish gangsters *would* feel like they should go.

Then he goes and disfigures his own girlfriend just to make a point.

Interesting film, but not Marlowe. A sort of cavalcade of Hollywood
    characters.

--
    --Sawfish

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 24 09:16:19 2023
    T24gOS8yNC8yMyA3OjUzIEFNLCBQZXRlV2FzTHVja3kgd3JvdGU6DQo+ICJnYXAuLi5AZ21h aWwuY29tIiA8Z2FwcDExMUBnbWFpbC5jb20+IFdyb3RlIGluIG1lc3NhZ2U6cg0KPj4gT24g U3VuZGF5LCBTZXB0ZW1iZXIgMjQsIDIwMjMgYXQgMTI6NTk6MzEaQU0gVVRDLTQsIFRUIHdy b3RlOj4gR3JhY2NodXMga2lyam9pdHRpIDI0LjkuMjAyMyBrbG8gNy4wMTogPiA+IE5vIHN0 cm9uZyBmZWVsaW5ncyBhYm91dCBFbGxpb3R0IEdvdWxkLiBJJ3ZlIHNlZW4gaGltIGluIHRo aW5ncyB3aGVyZSBoZSB3YXMgT0s+IEkgZG9uJ3QgdGhpbmsgSSBoYXZlLiBPbmUgZ2V0cyB0 aXJlZCBwcmV0dHkgcXVpY2tseSBvZiBoaXMgYmxhYmJlcmluZyA+IGNoYXJhY3RlcnMuID4g PiBNYXliZSBoZSB3YXMgb2sgYXQgVGhlIExvbmcgR29vZGJ5ZSwgYnV0IEkgZGlkbid0IGxp a2UgZmlsbS4gPiA+IE1heWJlIGhlIHdhcyBvayBhdCBDYXByaWNvcm4gT25lLCBkb24ndCBy ZW1lbWJlciwgYnV0IHRoYXQgd2FzIGEgZGVjZW50ID4gZmlsbSBhdCBsZWFzdC4gPiA+IFNv bWV3aGF0IGdvb2QsIG9yIGF0IGxlYXN0IGZpdHRpbmcgZm9yIHRoZSByb2xlIGF0ICJDYWxp Zm9ybmlhIFNwbGl0Ii5NQVNIVGhlIHBlcmZvcm1hbmNlcyBoYXZlIGEgbG90IHRvIGRvIHdp dGggdGhlIG1vdmllJ3Mgc3VjY2Vzcy4gRWxsaW90dCBHb3VsZCBhbmQgRG9uYWxkIFN1dGhl cmxhbmQgYXJlIHR3byBnZW51aW5lbHkgZnVubnkgYWN0b3JzOyB0aGV5IGRvbid0IGhhdmUg dG8gbWFrZSB0aGVtc2VsdmVzIHJpZGljdWxvdXMgdG8gZ2V0IGEgbGF1Z2guIFRoZXkncmUg ZnVubnkgYmVjYXVzZSB0aGVpciBodW1vciBjb21lcyBzbyBkaXJlY3RseSBmcm9tIHRoZWly IHBlcnNvbmFsaXRpZXMuIFRoZXkgdW5kZXJwbGF5IGV2ZXJ5dGhpbmcgKGFuZCBTdXRoZXJs YW5kIGFuZCBHb3VsZCB0cnlpbmcgdG8gZG93bnN0YWdlIGVhY2ggb3RoZXIgY291bGQgZXZl bnR1YWxseSBsZWFkIHRvIGNvbXBsZXRlIHBhcmFseXNpcykuU3RyYW5nZWx5IGVub3VnaCwg dGhleSdyZSBjb252aW5jaW5nIGFzIHN1cmdlb25zLiBEdXJpbmcgb3BlcmF0aW9ucywgY292 ZXJlZCB3aXRoIGJsb29kIGFuZCBnb3JlLCB0aGV5IG11dHRlciB0aGVpciB3YXkgdGhyb3Vn aCBydW5uaW5nIGNvbW1lbnRhcmllcyB0aGF0IHNvdW5kIHRvdGFsbHkgcHJvZmVzc2lvbmFs LiBTYXdpbmcgYW5kIGhhY2tpbmcgYXdheSBhdCBhIHBhcmFkZSBvZiBib2RpZXMsIHRoZXkg c2hvdWxkIGJlIGRyaXZpbmcgdXMgYXdheSwgYnV0IHRoZXkgZG9uJ3QuIFdlIGNhbiB0YWtl IHRoZSB1bnVzdWFsbHkgaGlnaCBnb3JlLWxldmVsIGluICJNQVNIIiBiZWNhdXNlIGl0IGlz IG9yaWdpbmFsbHkgcGFydCBvZiB0aGUgbW92aWUncyBsb2dpYy4gSWYgdGhlIHN1cmdlb25z IGRpZG4ndCBoYXZlIHRvIGZhY2UgdGhlIGRhaWx5IGxpc3Qgb2YgbWFpbWVkIGFuZCBtdXRp bGF0ZWQgYm9kaWVzLCBub25lIG9mIHRoZSByZXN0IG9mIHRoZWlyIGxpdmVzIHdvdWxkIG1h a2UgYW55IHNlbnNlLg0KPiBJIHdhcyBsaWtlIHdvdywgZ3VwcHkgd3JvdGUgYSBmdWxsIHBh cmFncmFwaCBpbnN0ZWFkIG9mIGhpcyB1c3VhbCAyLTUgd29yZHMuIEJ1dCB0aGVuIHJlYWxp emVkIGl0IHdhcyBhIGNvcHkgYW5kIHBhc3RlLCBub3QgYmFkLCBndXBweSBsZWFybmVkIG5l dyBza2lsbHMgOikNCj4NCj4gaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cucm9nZXJlYmVydC5jb20vcmV2aWV3cy9t YXNoLTE5NzAjOn46dGV4dD1TdHJhbmdlbHklMjBlbm91Z2glMkMlMjB0aGV5J3JlJTIwY29u dmluY2luZywlMkMlMjBidXQlMjB0aGV5JTIwZG9uJ3QuDQo+DQo+DQpTaG93cyB3ZSBhbGwg aGF2ZSB0aGUgY2FwYWNpdHkgdG8gZ3JvdywgcGVyc29uYWxseS4uLg0KDQotLSANCn5+fn5+ fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+ fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fg0KIkdvb2RuZXNzIGNvdWxkIGJlIGZvdW5kIHNvbWV0aW1lcyBp biB0aGUgbWlkZGxlIG9mIGhlbGwuIg0KDQotLUNoYXJsZXMgQnVrb3dza2kNCn5+fn5+fn5+ fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+ fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fg0KDQo=

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 24 09:17:36 2023
    On 9/23/23 9:49 PM, TT wrote:
    There's also a Hollywood remake, with two of the most luminous
    stars of
    20th century...

Don't particularly like her, or the genre.

Best left unsaid.

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Goodness could be found sometimes in the middle of hell."

--Charles Bukowski ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to The Iceberg on Sun Sep 24 09:24:21 2023
    On 9/24/23 3:52 AM, The Iceberg wrote:

only reason people didn't like Michael is cos the media were upset at Travolta and all his Sciento stuff when it came out, was like Battlefield Earth, which wasn't that bad either, least nothing like as bad as the paid-off stereotypical critics who
    like boring trash like Arrival said it was, Starship Troopers was almost the same film in fact.

Starship Troopers is an odd one.

I think it's the best example I can think of where it was probably
    conceived and executed to target two disparate adult audiences: young
    numbnuts action addicts who might like Transformer movies, and older
    people who saw it as a sad parody of rah-rah militarism. In the latter
    case, akin to Full Metal Jacket.

Anyway didn't care about any of that and found Michael quite an amusing film, thought Travolta worked well with Andi McDowell.
    Yep. I tend to ignore film critics, who are a lot like
    sportswriters--sad sacks who could not cut the mustard as a participant,
    and so they fill their time and soothe their egos making up ill-informed horseshit about their areas of "expertise".

--
    --Sawfish ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "The Ayatolla of Rock and Rolla!" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to gap...@gmail.com on Sun Sep 24 09:15:31 2023
    On 9/24/23 7:12 AM, gap...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 12:59:31 AM UTC-4, TT wrote:
    characters.

film at least.

MASH
    Yep.

The performances have a lot to do with the movie's success. Elliott Gould and Donald Sutherland are two genuinely funny actors; they don't have to make themselves ridiculous to get a laugh.
    In Sutherland's case, he is funny-looking, to start with. Just like
    Kumail Najiani--he can immediately get a sort of chuckle (out of me, at
    least) just by the way he looks. E.g. Silicon Valley.
    They're funny because their humor comes so directly from their personalities. They underplay everything (and Sutherland and Gould trying to downstage each other could eventually lead to complete paralysis).
    The golf course scene in Japan impressed me so much that I wanted to
    replicate it as often as possible when I played golf with some of my
    rowdy friends.

Strangely enough, they're convincing as surgeons. During operations, covered with blood and gore, they mutter their way through running commentaries that sound totally professional. Sawing and hacking away at a parade of bodies, they should be driving
    us away, but they don't. We can take the unusually high gore-level in "MASH" because it is originally part of the movie's logic. If the surgeons didn't have to face the daily list of maimed and mutilated bodies, none of the rest of their lives would make
    any sense.

Good points.

Get this...

I had surgery on my hand about 3 years ago. They used propofol to put me
    under. This is an excellent anesthesiac but is frequently
    under-administered in dose.

Woke up just as the surgeon was finishing and I heard the team talking.
    They were heatedly discussing George Floyd, ignoring my fucking hand. I
    sorta groggily jumped in on the discussion (I ignored my hand, too) and
    they knocked me out again.

Boy, I'll bet some RST posters would like to be able to do that to their interlocutors...

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "The food at the new restaurant was awful--but at least the portions
    were large!" --Sawfish

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TT@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 24 20:12:16 2023
    The Iceberg kirjoitti 24.9.2023 klo 13.52:

only reason people didn't like Michael is cos the media were upset at Travolta and all his Sciento stuff when it came out, was like Battlefield Earth, which wasn't that bad either, least nothing like as bad as the paid-off stereotypical critics who
    like boring trash like Arrival said it was, Starship Troopers was almost the same film in fact. Anyway didn't care about any of that and found Michael quite an amusing film, thought Travolta worked well with Andi McDowell.

Battlefield Earth has been chosen for a reason multiple times as one of
    the worst films ever. But I knew there was somewhere an audience for it. :))

Yes, I think "Michael" is watchable for the actors. The idea of Travolta
    having wings isn't the greatest ever.

Arrival is brilliance.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TT@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 24 20:29:45 2023
    Sawfish kirjoitti 24.9.2023 klo 18.58:
    No strong feelings about Elliott Gould. I've seen him in things where
    he was OK

characters.

For my 21st birthday, my college roommate took me to a bunch of topless
    bars on Santa Monica. Great birthday present!

I've been to LA. Stayed for a week within walking distance of Santa
    Monica, hotel at Venice Beach. Didn't really do naughty rounds there.

Then a few days at Las Vegas.
    Then a week at Hollywood Hills.

Great trip!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 24 10:24:41 2023
    On 9/24/23 10:12 AM, TT wrote:
    stars of
    20th century...

only reason people didn't like Michael is cos the media were upset at
    Travolta and all his Sciento stuff when it came out, was like
    Battlefield Earth, which wasn't that bad either, least nothing like
    as bad as the paid-off stereotypical critics who like boring trash
    like Arrival said it was, Starship Troopers was almost the same film
    in fact. Anyway didn't care about any of that and found Michael quite
    an amusing film, thought Travolta worked well with Andi McDowell.

Battlefield Earth has been chosen for a reason multiple times as one
    of the worst films ever. But I knew there was somewhere an audience
    for it. :))

Yes, I think "Michael" is watchable for the actors. The idea of
    Travolta having wings isn't the greatest ever.
    If not Travolta, which actor might have been more convincing with wings?

Arrival is brilliance.

--
    "If we use Occam's Razor, whose razor will *he* use?" --Sawfish ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 24 10:44:06 2023
    On 9/24/23 10:29 AM, TT wrote:
    Sawfish kirjoitti 24.9.2023 klo 18.58:
    No strong feelings about Elliott Gould. I've seen him in things
    where he was OK

I don't think I have. One gets tired pretty quickly of his
    blabbering characters.

For my 21st birthday, my college roommate took me to a bunch of
    topless bars on Santa Monica. Great birthday present!

I've been to LA. Stayed for a week within walking distance of Santa
    Monica, hotel at Venice Beach. Didn't really do naughty rounds there.

Then a few days at Las Vegas.
    Then a week at Hollywood Hills.

Great trip!

Thanks, interesting!

--
    "It was public knowledge that Sawfish was a loner with strong misanthropic tendencies: it was rare for him to even say a word to his dog."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TT@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 24 20:49:49 2023
    Sawfish kirjoitti 24.9.2023 klo 20.24:
    On 9/24/23 10:12 AM, TT wrote:
    stars of
    20th century...

only reason people didn't like Michael is cos the media were upset at
    Travolta and all his Sciento stuff when it came out, was like
    Battlefield Earth, which wasn't that bad either, least nothing like
    as bad as the paid-off stereotypical critics who like boring trash
    like Arrival said it was, Starship Troopers was almost the same film
    in fact. Anyway didn't care about any of that and found Michael quite
    an amusing film, thought Travolta worked well with Andi McDowell.

Battlefield Earth has been chosen for a reason multiple times as one
    of the worst films ever. But I knew there was somewhere an audience
    for it. :))

Yes, I think "Michael" is watchable for the actors. The idea of
    Travolta having wings isn't the greatest ever.
    If not Travolta, which actor might have been more convincing with wings?

Ha-ha

Cher. I'd like Cher with wings.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Iceberg@21:1/5 to PeteWasLucky on Sun Sep 24 15:13:37 2023
    On Sunday, 24 September 2023 at 15:54:00 UTC+1, PeteWasLucky wrote:
    "gap...@gmail.com" <gap...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    On Sunday, September 24, 2023 at 12:59:31 AM UTC-4, TT wrote:> Gracchus kirjoitti 24.9.2023 klo 7.01: > > No strong feelings about Elliott Gould. I've seen him in things where he was OK> I don't think I have. One gets tired pretty quickly of his
    blabbering > characters. > > Maybe he was ok at The Long Goodbye, but I didn't like film. > > Maybe he was ok at Capricorn One, don't remember, but that was a decent > film at least. > > Somewhat good, or at least fitting for the role at "California
    Split".MASHThe performances have a lot to do with the movie's success. Elliott Gould and Donald Sutherland are two genuinely funny actors; they don't have to make themselves ridiculous to get a laugh. They're funny because their humor comes so directly
    from their personalities. They underplay everything (and Sutherland and Gould trying to downstage each other could eventually lead to complete paralysis).Strangely enough, they're convincing as surgeons. During operations, covered with blood and gore,
    they mutter their way through running commentaries that sound totally professional. Sawing and hacking away at a parade of bodies, they should be driving us away, but they don't. We can take the unusually high gore-level in "MASH" because it is
    originally part of the movie's logic. If the surgeons didn't have to face the daily list of maimed and mutilated bodies, none of the rest of their lives would make any sense.

I was like wow, guppy wrote a full paragraph instead of his usual 2-5 words. But then realized it was a copy and paste, not bad, guppy learned new skills :)

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/mash-1970#:~:text=Strangely%20enough%2C%20they're%20convincing,%2C%20but%20they%20don't.

wow yeah was totally amazed thought maybe films are his specialist subject or something, well done on EXPOSING him!!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 24 15:57:39 2023
    T24gOS8yNC8yMyAzOjEzIFBNLCBUaGUgSWNlYmVyZyB3cm90ZToNCj4gT24gU3VuZGF5LCAy NCBTZXB0ZW1iZXIgMjAyMyBhdCAxNTo1NDowMCBVVEMrMSwgUGV0ZVdhc0x1Y2t5IHdyb3Rl Og0KPj4gImdhcC4uLkBnbWFpbC5jb20iIDxnYXAuLi5AZ21haWwuY29tPiBXcm90ZSBpbiBt ZXNzYWdlOnINCj4+PiBPbiBTdW5kYXksIFNlcHRlbWJlciAyNCwgMjAyMyBhdCAxMjo1OToz MSBBTSBVVEMtNCwgVFQgd3JvdGU6PiBHcmFjY2h1cyBraXJqb2l0dGkgMjQuOS4yMDIzIGts byA3LjAxOiA+ID4gTm8gc3Ryb25nIGZlZWxpbmdzIGFib3V0IEVsbGlvdHQgR291bGQuIEkn dmUgc2VlbiBoaW0gaW4gdGhpbmdzIHdoZXJlIGhlIHdhcyBPSz4gSSBkb24ndCB0aGluayBJ IGhhdmUuIE9uZSBnZXRzIHRpcmVkIHByZXR0eSBxdWlja2x5IG9mIGhpcyBibGFiYmVyaW5n ID4gY2hhcmFjdGVycy4gPiA+IE1heWJlIGhlIHdhcyBvayBhdCBUaGUgTG9uZyBHb29kYnll LCBidXQgSSBkaWRuJ3QgbGlrZSBmaWxtLiA+ID4gTWF5YmUgaGUgd2FzIG9rIGF0IENhcHJp Y29ybiBPbmUsIGRvbid0IHJlbWVtYmVyLCBidXQgdGhhdCB3YXMgYSBkZWNlbnQgPiBmaWxt IGF0IGxlYXN0LiA+ID4gU29tZXdoYXQgZ29vZCwgb3IgYXQgbGVhc3QgZml0dGluZyBmb3Ig dGhlIHJvbGUgYXQgIkNhbGlmb3JuaWEgU3BsaXQiLk1BU0hUaGUgcGVyZm9ybWFuY2VzIGhh dmUgYSBsb3QgdG8gZG8gd2l0aCB0aGUgbW92aWUncyBzdWNjZXNzLiBFbGxpb3R0IEdvdWxk IGFuZCBEb25hbGQgU3V0aGVybGFuZCBhcmUgdHdvIGdlbnVpbmVseSBmdW5ueSBhY3RvcnM7 IHRoZXkgZG9uJ3QgaGF2ZSB0byBtYWtlIHRoZW1zZWx2ZXMgcmlkaWN1bG91cyB0byBnZXQg YSBsYXVnaC4gVGhleSdyZSBmdW5ueSBiZWNhdXNlIHRoZWlyIGh1bW9yIGNvbWVzIHNvIGRp cmVjdGx5IGZyb20gdGhlaXIgcGVyc29uYWxpdGllcy4gVGhleSB1bmRlcnBsYXkgZXZlcnl0 aGluZyAoYW5kIFN1dGhlcmxhbmQgYW5kIEdvdWxkIHRyeWluZyB0byBkb3duc3RhZ2UgZWFj aCBvdGhlciBjb3VsZCBldmVudHVhbGx5IGxlYWQgdG8gY29tcGxldGUgcGFyYWx5c2lzKS5T dHJhbmdlbHkgZW5vdWdoLCB0aGV5J3JlIGNvbnZpbmNpbmcgYXMgc3VyZ2VvbnMuIER1cmlu ZyBvcGVyYXRpb25zLCBjb3ZlcmVkIHdpdGggYmxvb2QgYW5kIGdvcmUsIHRoZXkgbXV0dGVy IHRoZWlyIHdheSB0aHJvdWdoIHJ1bm5pbmcgY29tbWVudGFyaWVzIHRoYXQgc291bmQgdG90 YWxseSBwcm9mZXNzaW9uYWwuIFNhd2luZyBhbmQgaGFja2luZyBhd2F5IGF0IGEgcGFyYWRl IG9mIGJvZGllcywgdGhleSBzaG91bGQgYmUgZHJpdmluZyB1cyBhd2F5LCBidXQgdGhleSBk b24ndC4gV2UgY2FuIHRha2UgdGhlIHVudXN1YWxseSBoaWdoIGdvcmUtbGV2ZWwgaW4gIk1B U0giIGJlY2F1c2UgaXQgaXMgb3JpZ2luYWxseSBwYXJ0IG9mIHRoZSBtb3ZpZSdzIGxvZ2lj LiBJZiB0aGUgc3VyZ2VvbnMgZGlkbid0IGhhdmUgdG8gZmFjZSB0aGUgZGFpbHkgbGlzdCBv ZiBtYWltZWQgYW5kIG11dGlsYXRlZCBib2RpZXMsIG5vbmUgb2YgdGhlIHJlc3Qgb2YgdGhl aXIgbGl2ZXMgd291bGQgbWFrZSBhbnkgc2Vuc2UuDQo+PiBJIHdhcyBsaWtlIHdvdywgZ3Vw cHkgd3JvdGUgYSBmdWxsIHBhcmFncmFwaCBpbnN0ZWFkIG9mIGhpcyB1c3VhbCAyLTUgd29y ZHMuIEJ1dCB0aGVuIHJlYWxpemVkIGl0IHdhcyBhIGNvcHkgYW5kIHBhc3RlLCBub3QgYmFk LCBndXBweSBsZWFybmVkIG5ldyBza2lsbHMgOikNCj4+DQo+PiBodHRwczovL3d3dy5yb2dl cmViZXJ0LmNvbS9yZXZpZXdzL21hc2gtMTk3MCM6fjp0ZXh0PVN0cmFuZ2VseSUyMGVub3Vn aCUyQyUyMHRoZXkncmUlMjBjb252aW5jaW5nLCUyQyUyMGJ1dCUyMHRoZXklMjBkb24ndC4N Cj4gd293IHllYWggd2FzIHRvdGFsbHkgYW1hemVkIHRob3VnaHQgbWF5YmUgZmlsbXMgYXJl IGhpcyBzcGVjaWFsaXN0IHN1YmplY3Qgb3Igc29tZXRoaW5nLCB3ZWxsIGRvbmUgb24gRVhQ T1NJTkcgaGltISENCg0KTm9uc2Vuc2UhDQoNCk5vIG9uZSBoZXJlIG9uIFJTVCB3b3VsZCBz dGVhbCB3aXRob3V0IGF0dHJpYnV0aW9uLg0KDQpTaWxseSBJY2VtYW4hDQoNCjteKQ0KDQot LSANCn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+ fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fg0KIkkgZG9uZSBjcmVhdGVkIG15c2VsZiBhIG1v bnN0ZXIuIg0KDQogIC0tQm94aW5nIHRyYWluZXIgUGFwcHkgR2F1bHQsIG9uIEdlb3JnZSBG b3JlbWFuDQp+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+ fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn4NCg0K

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05