• What Sampras said about serve and volley

From PeteWasLucky@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 20 23:53:01 2023
    “Serve-and-volley tennis is not something that’s easy to do as you get older,” Sampras said. “It’s actually much more difficult. To play that explosive tennis is tough on the body … Even when I played on the real tour, it’s a tough way to play tennis.”

https://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilot/sports/tn-dpt-0710-spsampras-20110709-story.html
    --

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From jdeluise@21:1/5 to PeteWasLucky on Thu Sep 21 08:24:53 2023
    PeteWasLucky <waleed.khedr@gmail.com> writes:

“Serve-and-volley tennis is not something that’s easy to do as you get older,” Sampras said. “It’s actually much more difficult. To play that explosive tennis is tough on the body … Even when I played on the real tour, it’s a tough way to play tennis.”

https://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilot/sports/tn-dpt-0710-spsampras-20110709-story.html

*Everything* becomes more difficult as you get older. Note he
    didn't compare it to hanging back.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to jdeluise on Thu Sep 21 18:31:52 2023
    jdeluise <jdeluise@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    PeteWasLucky <waleed.khedr@gmail.com> writes:> “Serve-and-volley tennis is not something that’s easy to do as you get> older,” Sampras said. “It’s actually much more difficult. To play that> explosive tennis is tough on the body … Even when
    I played on the real> tour, it’s a tough way to play tennis.”>> https://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilot/sports/tn-dpt-0710-spsampras-20110709-story.html*Everything* becomes more difficult as you get older. Note hedidn't compare it to hanging back.

But he says "much more difficult". Not just more difficult?

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to jdeluise on Thu Sep 21 19:02:30 2023
    *skriptis <skriptis@post.t-com.hr> writes:>>> But he says "much more difficult". Not just more difficult?He says serve and volley is much more difficult as you age. Thestatement doesn't compare it to any other style of play.

"Much more difficult as you age" implies comparisons with other styles and you can sense he means it's more difficult in relation to those styles, in relative sense.

Otherwise it would have been simply "more difficult as you age".

No?

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jdeluise@21:1/5 to skriptis@post.t-com.hr on Thu Sep 21 08:35:39 2023
    *skriptis <skriptis@post.t-com.hr> writes:

But he says "much more difficult". Not just more difficult?

He says serve and volley is much more difficult as you age. The
    statement doesn't compare it to any other style of play.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From PeteWasLucky@21:1/5 to jdeluise on Thu Sep 21 13:45:35 2023
    PeteWasLucky <waleed.khedr@gmail.com> writes:> “Serve-and-volley tennis is not something that’s easy to do as you get> older,” Sampras said. “It’s actually much more difficult. To play that> explosive tennis is tough on the body … Even when I played on
    the real> tour, it’s a tough way to play tennis.”>> https://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilot/sports/tn-dpt-0710-spsampras-20110709-story.html*Everything* becomes more difficult as you get older. Note hedidn't compare it to hanging back.

You need help understanding this:

"Even when I played on the real tour, it’s a tough way to play tennis."
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to PeteWasLucky on Thu Sep 21 19:52:28 2023
    PeteWasLucky <waleed.khedr@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
    Note hedidn't compare it to hanging back.You need help understanding this:"Even when I played on the real tour, it’s a tough way to play tennis."

Yes, it's not the style for old legs or those who feel old.

Sampras was "praised" for retooling his game in latter part of his career as a way to extend it, but realistically he stopped winning outside of Wimbledon.

He never won in HC slams post AO 1997 and he was cca 26.5 at the time.

He still won 4 Wim titles in next years so we can't say it was a failure, but it's not overwhelming success either.

It seems to me that he finally realised what to do in his last slam, in 2002 we he was hitting big from the baseline and then he won HC slam after more than 5 years.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From PeteWasLucky@21:1/5 to skriptis@post.t-com.hr on Thu Sep 21 13:48:56 2023
    *skriptis <skriptis@post.t-com.hr> Wrote in message:r
    jdeluise <jdeluise@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r> *skriptis <skriptis@post.t-com.hr> writes:>>> But he says "much more difficult". Not just more difficult?He says serve and volley is much more difficult as you age. Thestatement doesn't compare it to
    any other style of play."Much more difficult as you age" implies comparisons with other styles and you can sense he means it's more difficult in relation to those styles, in relative sense.Otherwise it would have been simply "more difficult as you age".
    No?-- ----Android NewsGroup Reader----https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

It's clear but it's JD who is a very big fan of mine.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jdeluise@21:1/5 to PeteWasLucky on Thu Sep 21 10:25:46 2023
    PeteWasLucky <waleed.khedr@gmail.com> writes:

You need help understanding this:

"Even when I played on the real tour, it’s a tough way to play
    tennis."

I'm not arguing that it's not tough. But he didn't say what you claim
    (that it's harder on the body to play S/V). We also don't know the
    context of the statement because the article doesn't provide it.

As per usual, you ditched the thread where this was being discussed
    after I brought up at least three technical reasons why S/V could be
    considered easier on the body.

Now you come back with a context-free "appeal to authority" style
    argument. Sounds like you've got nothing.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From PeteWasLucky@21:1/5 to jdeluise on Thu Sep 21 15:59:49 2023
    PeteWasLucky <waleed.khedr@gmail.com> writes:>> You need help understanding this:>> "Even when I played on the real tour, it’s a tough way to play> tennis."I'm not arguing that it's not tough. But he didn't say what you claim(that it's harder on the
    body to play S/V). We also don't know thecontext of the statement because the article doesn't provide it.As per usual, you ditched the thread where this was being discussedafter I brought up at least three technical reasons why S/V could beconsidered
    easier on the body.Now you come back with a context-free "appeal to authority" styleargument. Sounds like you've got nothing.

Sorry, I can't help you with your hearing issues.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scall5@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 21 18:33:24 2023
    On 9/21/2023 12:52 PM, *skriptis wrote:
    PeteWasLucky <waleed.khedr@gmail.com> Wrote in message:
    Note hedidn't compare it to hanging back.You need help understanding this:"Even when I played on the real tour, it’s a tough way to play tennis."

Yes, it's not the style for old legs or those who feel old.

Sampras was "praised" for retooling his game in latter part of his career as a way to extend it, but realistically he stopped winning outside of Wimbledon.

He never won in HC slams post AO 1997 and he was cca 26.5 at the time.

He still won 4 Wim titles in next years so we can't say it was a failure, but it's not overwhelming success either.

It seems to me that he finally realised what to do in his last slam, in 2002 we he was hitting big from the baseline and then he won HC slam after more than 5 years.

Sorry, that is not the way I remember it. As I recall, Pete was serving
    and volleying a TON during his last US Open title in 2002. If I remember correctly, he stated in future interviews that his S&V game was never
    better than his run to the 2002 US Open title.
    --
    ---------------
    Scall5

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to nospam@home.net on Fri Sep 22 01:47:22 2023
    Scall5 <nospam@home.net> Wrote in message:r
    On 9/21/2023 12:52 PM, *skriptis wrote:> PeteWasLucky <waleed.khedr@gmail.com> Wrote in message:>> Note hedidn't compare it to hanging back.You need help understanding this:"Even when I played on the real tour, it’s a tough way to play tennis."> > >
    Yes, it's not the style for old legs or those who feel old.> > Sampras was "praised" for retooling his game in latter part of his career as a way to extend it, but realistically he stopped winning outside of Wimbledon.> > He never won in HC slams post AO
    1997 and he was cca 26.5 at the time.> > He still won 4 Wim titles in next years so we can't say it was a failure, but it's not overwhelming success either.> > > It seems to me that he finally realised what to do in his last slam, in 2002 we he was
    hitting big from the baseline and then he won HC slam after more than 5 years.Sorry, that is not the way I remember it. As I recall, Pete was serving and volleying a TON during his last US Open title in 2002. If I remember correctly, he stated in future
    interviews that his S&V game was never better than his run to the 2002 US Open title.-- ---------------Scall5

So what's different in that USO run as opposed to his lackluster 2000-2002 period?

Yes we all agree he played better, wanted to win to prove a point and so on. But how did he play better? What changed?

He used more serve and volley in that USO as opposed to previous period?

He was hitting bigger from the ground?

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scall5@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 21 19:58:25 2023
    T24gOS8yMS8yMDIzIDY6NDcgUE0sICpza3JpcHRpcyB3cm90ZToNCj4gU2NhbGw1IDxub3Nw YW1AaG9tZS5uZXQ+IFdyb3RlIGluIG1lc3NhZ2U6cg0KPj4gT24gOS8yMS8yMDIzIDEyOjUy IFBNLCAqc2tyaXB0aXMgd3JvdGU6PiBQZXRlV2FzTHVja3kgPHdhbGVlZC5raGVkckBnbWFp bC5jb20+IFdyb3RlIGluIG1lc3NhZ2U6Pj4gTm90ZSBoZWRpZG4ndCBjb21wYXJlIGl0IHRv IGhhbmdpbmcgYmFjay5Zb3UgbmVlZCBoZWxwIHVuZGVyc3RhbmRpbmcgdGhpczoiRXZlbiB3 aGVuIEkgcGxheWVkIG9uIHRoZSByZWFsIHRvdXIsIGl04oCZcyBhIHRvdWdoIHdheSB0byBw bGF5IHRlbm5pcy4iPiA+ID4gWWVzLCBpdCdzIG5vdCB0aGUgc3R5bGUgZm9yIG9sZCBsZWdz IG9yIHRob3NlIHdobyBmZWVsIG9sZC4+ID4gU2FtcHJhcyB3YXMgInByYWlzZWQiIGZvciBy ZXRvb2xpbmcgaGlzIGdhbWUgaW4gbGF0dGVyIHBhcnQgb2YgaGlzIGNhcmVlciBhcyBhIHdh eSB0byBleHRlbmQgaXQsIGJ1dCByZWFsaXN0aWNhbGx5IGhlIHN0b3BwZWQgd2lubmluZyBv dXRzaWRlIG9mIFdpbWJsZWRvbi4+ID4gSGUgbmV2ZXIgd29uIGluIEhDIHNsYW1zIHBvc3Qg QU8gMTk5NyBhbmQgaGUgd2FzIGNjYSAyNi41IGF0IHRoZSB0aW1lLj4gPiBIZSBzdGlsbCB3 b24gNCBXaW0gdGl0bGVzIGluIG5leHQgeWVhcnMgc28gd2UgY2FuJ3Qgc2F5IGl0IHdhcyBh IGZhaWx1cmUsIGJ1dCBpdCdzIG5vdCBvdmVyd2hlbG1pbmcgc3VjY2VzcyBlaXRoZXIuPiA+ ID4gSXQgc2VlbXMgdG8gbWUgdGhhdCBoZSBmaW5hbGx5IHJlYWxpc2VkIHdoYXQgdG8gZG8g aW4gaGlzIGxhc3Qgc2xhbSwgaW4gMjAwMiB3ZSBoZSB3YXMgaGl0dGluZyBiaWcgZnJvbSB0 aGUgYmFzZWxpbmUgYW5kIHRoZW4gaGUgd29uIEhDIHNsYW0gYWZ0ZXIgbW9yZSB0aGFuIDUg eWVhcnMuU29ycnksIHRoYXQgaXMgbm90IHRoZSB3YXkgSSByZW1lbWJlciBpdC4gQXMgSSBy ZWNhbGwsIFBldGUgd2FzIHNlcnZpbmcgYW5kIHZvbGxleWluZyBhIFRPTiBkdXJpbmcgaGlz IGxhc3QgVVMgT3BlbiB0aXRsZSBpbiAyMDAyLiBJZiBJIHJlbWVtYmVyIGNvcnJlY3RseSwg aGUgc3RhdGVkIGluIGZ1dHVyZSBpbnRlcnZpZXdzIHRoYXQgaGlzIFMmViBnYW1lIHdhcyBu ZXZlciBiZXR0ZXIgdGhhbiBoaXMgcnVuIHRvIHRoZSAyMDAyIFVTIE9wZW4gdGl0bGUuLS0g LS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tU2NhbGw1DQo+IA0KPiANCj4gDQo+IFNvIHdoYXQncyBkaWZmZXJl bnQgaW4gdGhhdCBVU08gcnVuIGFzIG9wcG9zZWQgdG8gaGlzIGxhY2tsdXN0ZXIgMjAwMC0y MDAyIHBlcmlvZD8NCj4gDQo+IA0KPiBZZXMgd2UgYWxsIGFncmVlIGhlIHBsYXllZCBiZXR0 ZXIsIHdhbnRlZCB0byB3aW4gdG8gcHJvdmUgYSBwb2ludCBhbmQgc28gb24uIEJ1dCBob3cg ZGlkIGhlIHBsYXkgYmV0dGVyPyBXaGF0IGNoYW5nZWQ/DQo+IA0KPiANCj4gSGUgdXNlZCBt b3JlIHNlcnZlIGFuZCB2b2xsZXkgaW4gdGhhdCBVU08gYXMgb3Bwb3NlZCB0byBwcmV2aW91 cyBwZXJpb2Q/DQo+IA0KPiBIZSB3YXMgaGl0dGluZyBiaWdnZXIgZnJvbSB0aGUgZ3JvdW5k Pw0KDQpUcnlpbmcgdG8gYW5zd2VyIG15IGFuYWx5c2lzIHdpdGggYSBidW5jaCBvZiBxdWVz dGlvbnMgaXMgbm90IGEgZ29vZCB3YXkgDQp0byBtYWtlIHlvdXIgcG9pbnQgdGhhdCBTJlYg aXMgbW9yZSBkaWZmaWN1bHQgdGhhbiBzdGF5aW5nIG9uIHRoZSANCmJhc2VsaW5lIGR1cmlu ZyBhbiBlbnRpcmUgbWF0Y2guIER1cmluZyBQZXRlJ3MgImxhY2tsdXN0ZXIiIDIwMDAtMjAw MiANCnBlcmlvZCBoaXMgc2VydmUgd2Fzbid0IGFzIGVmZmVjdGl2ZSBhcyBpdCBoYWQgYmVl biBiZWZvcmUuIEhlIHdhcyBhbHNvIA0KZW5qb3lpbmcgbGlmZSBvdXRzaWRlIG9mIHRlbm5p cywgZnJvbSB3aGF0IEkgcmVjYWxsLg0KDQpCVFcgLSBJIHdpbGwgYWdyZWUgdGhhdCBTJlYg dGVubmlzIGlzIG1vcmUgZGlmZmljdWx0IG9uIHRoZSBib2R5IHRoYW4gDQpiYXNlbGluZSBw bGF5LCBvbmUgaGFzIHRvIGRvIGRlZXAga25lZSBiZW5kcyBvbiBtYW55LCBpZiBub3QgbW9z dCwgDQp2b2xsZXlzLiBFdmVyeSB0aW1lIEkgcHJhY3RpY2Ugd2l0aCBhIGNvYWNoIEkgYW0g dG9sZCB0byBiZW5kIG15IGtuZWVzIA0KbW9yZSB3aGVuIHZvbGxleWluZy4gT1VDSCEgVGhh dCBpcyBvbmUgcmVhc29uIGNoYW1wcyBsaWtlIFJhZnRlciwgDQpFZGJlcmcsIEJlY2tlciwg YW5kIFNhbXByYXMgcmV0aXJlZCAnZWFybHknLg0KLS0gDQotLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0NClNj YWxsNQ0KDQo=

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05