if this happens it is VERY tiring, more so than a 5-8 stroke
    side-to-side rally.

But it did not happen all that much. If they lobbed, often it was not
    deep enough to cause much problem. I could just scoot back and take it
    on the bounce.

But the way people seem to be playing now, going back for a lob would be
    very tiring.

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Reality is that thing that does not go away when you stop believing in it."

--Sawfish ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Wed Sep 13 14:20:34 2023
    Sawfish <sawfish666@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    Pete, I have thought more about this issue since I first chimed in about a week ago. I came down on the side of baseline (side-to-side) court coverage being more tiring as opposed to coming to the net, as in serve and volley. I later realized that
    this is based on my level of play and the era when I played the most.For me, at that time, coming to the net guaranteed that the point would be over within 10 sec (often less). I'd face maybe two volleys or get passed or lobbed.If my opponent got off a
    good, deep lob, I'd try to get back on it, and if this happens it is VERY tiring, more so than a 5-8 stroke side-to-side rally.But it did not happen all that much. If they lobbed, often it was not deep enough to cause much problem. I could just scoot
    back and take it on the bounce.But the way people seem to be playing now, going back for a lob would be very tiring.-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"Reality is that thing that does not go away when you stop
    believing in it."--Sawfish~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Perhaps you would be interested in reading the line about Lacoste and Borotra?

https://archive.org/details/encyclopediaofte00robe/page/35/mode/1up

Bottom screenshot.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From PeteWasLucky@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Wed Sep 13 13:56:04 2023
    Sawfish <sawfish666@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    Pete, I have thought more about this issue since I first chimed in about a week ago. I came down on the side of baseline (side-to-side) court coverage being more tiring as opposed to coming to the net, as in serve and volley. I later realized that
    this is based on my level of play and the era when I played the most.For me, at that time, coming to the net guaranteed that the point would be over within 10 sec (often less). I'd face maybe two volleys or get passed or lobbed.If my opponent got off a
    good, deep lob, I'd try to get back on it, and if this happens it is VERY tiring, more so than a 5-8 stroke side-to-side rally.But it did not happen all that much. If they lobbed, often it was not deep enough to cause much problem. I could just scoot
    back and take it on the bounce.But the way people seem to be playing now, going back for a lob would be very tiring.-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"Reality is that thing that does not go away when you stop
    believing in it."--Sawfish~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I believe there is a big difference between an occasional serve and volley where we are okay with the outcome, and being persistent playing all points serve and volley and forcing your will to win. Forcing your will, going for the perfect serve and
    covering the serve with the efforts and speed of rushing to the net, volleying, overheads, etc isn't easy.
    It's no different than training for short sprints and long distances.
    Baseline players use serve and volley as a surprise tactic but they can't keep pushing on their legs to hit great serves on every point and follow up with volleys because they aren't trained for it technically and physically.

It's easier to train for long distances (endurance) at advanced age than to train for sprinting and be at a high level in each I believe.
    --

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to jdeluise on Thu Sep 14 07:55:27 2023
    jdeluise <jdeluise@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    PeteWasLucky <waleed.khedr@gmail.com> writes:> I believe there is a big difference between an occasional serve and> volley where we are okay with the outcome, and being persistent> playing all points serve and volley and forcing your will to> win.
    Forcing your will, going for the perfect serve and covering the> serve with the efforts and speed of rushing to the net, volleying,> overheads, etc isn't easy. It's no different than training for short> sprints and long distances. Baseline players use
    serve and volley as> a surprise tactic but they can't keep pushing on their legs to hit> great serves on every point and follow up with volleys because they> aren't trained for it technically and physically.>> It's easier to train for long distances (
    endurance) at advanced age> than to train for sprinting and be at a high level in each I believe.But there are a lot of factors that make serve and volley easier on thebody. For one, you gain some forward momentum from the serve itself.If you launch
    yourself into the court you'll gain steps for free.Second, as the server you can gain time with serve placement. Why doyou chip out wide? One reason is to pull the opponent off the court andgain precious time to be in position for the volley.Third, you'
    re not changing directions when you rush the net off theserve. Changing directions takes time away from you, making you do morework to regain the lead. And in my opinion it uses a lot more energy.I don't regularly see net rushers making wild sprints to
    the net. It'sbuilt in to the service motion. Compare to the way a baseliner runsdown a surprise drop shot.

You know better than Borotra and Lacoste, lol.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jdeluise@21:1/5 to PeteWasLucky on Wed Sep 13 21:54:19 2023
    PeteWasLucky <waleed.khedr@gmail.com> writes:

I believe there is a big difference between an occasional serve and
    volley where we are okay with the outcome, and being persistent
    playing all points serve and volley and forcing your will to
    win. Forcing your will, going for the perfect serve and covering the
    serve with the efforts and speed of rushing to the net, volleying,
    overheads, etc isn't easy. It's no different than training for short
    sprints and long distances. Baseline players use serve and volley as
    a surprise tactic but they can't keep pushing on their legs to hit
    great serves on every point and follow up with volleys because they
    aren't trained for it technically and physically.

It's easier to train for long distances (endurance) at advanced age
    than to train for sprinting and be at a high level in each I believe.

But there are a lot of factors that make serve and volley easier on the
    body. For one, you gain some forward momentum from the serve itself.
    If you launch yourself into the court you'll gain steps for free.

Second, as the server you can gain time with serve placement. Why do
    you chip out wide? One reason is to pull the opponent off the court and
    gain precious time to be in position for the volley.

Third, you're not changing directions when you rush the net off the
    serve. Changing directions takes time away from you, making you do more
    work to regain the lead. And in my opinion it uses a lot more energy.
    I don't regularly see net rushers making wild sprints to the net. It's
    built in to the service motion. Compare to the way a baseliner runs
    down a surprise drop shot.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jdeluise@21:1/5 to skriptis@post.t-com.hr on Wed Sep 13 22:02:02 2023
    *skriptis <skriptis@post.t-com.hr> writes:

You know better than Borotra and Lacoste, lol.

appeal to authority

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Iceberg@21:1/5 to jdeluise on Thu Sep 14 01:00:59 2023
    On Thursday, 14 September 2023 at 06:54:26 UTC+1, jdeluise wrote:
    PeteWasLucky <waleed...@gmail.com> writes:

I believe there is a big difference between an occasional serve and
    volley where we are okay with the outcome, and being persistent
    playing all points serve and volley and forcing your will to
    win. Forcing your will, going for the perfect serve and covering the
    serve with the efforts and speed of rushing to the net, volleying, overheads, etc isn't easy. It's no different than training for short sprints and long distances. Baseline players use serve and volley as
    a surprise tactic but they can't keep pushing on their legs to hit
    great serves on every point and follow up with volleys because they
    aren't trained for it technically and physically.

It's easier to train for long distances (endurance) at advanced age
    than to train for sprinting and be at a high level in each I believe.
    But there are a lot of factors that make serve and volley easier on the
    body. For one, you gain some forward momentum from the serve itself.
    If you launch yourself into the court you'll gain steps for free.

yes but that takes a big toll on the legs since they propel you into the court, it's take a lot of effort.

Second, as the server you can gain time with serve placement. Why do
    you chip out wide? One reason is to pull the opponent off the court and
    gain precious time to be in position for the volley.

again you're relying on a good 1st power serve.

Third, you're not changing directions when you rush the net off the
    serve. Changing directions takes time away from you, making you do more
    work to regain the lead. And in my opinion it uses a lot more energy.
    I don't regularly see net rushers making wild sprints to the net. It's
    built in to the service motion. Compare to the way a baseliner runs
    down a surprise drop shot.

as PWL was trying to explain changing direction as you describe is a lot slower and something you get used to, it's physically easier that changing direction instantly like with s/v.
    Surprise drop shot is bad example cos it more like what a s/v has to deal with on almost every point. Compare an easy 5km Park Run to a 10 x 100m trial sprints, see which one you're more tired of at the end.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05