• Whisper, 7543 update?

From *skriptis@21:1/5 to All on Mon Sep 11 18:31:23 2023
    111 - Djokovic
    103 - Federer
    96 - Nadal
    80 - Sampras
    59 - Borg

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to All on Tue Sep 12 18:53:33 2023
    On 12/09/2023 2:31 am, *skriptis wrote:

111 - Djokovic
    103 - Federer
    96 - Nadal
    80 - Sampras
    59 - Borg

Yes. Novak has now won 12 slams before 30 and 12 slams after 30. PWL
    head must be spinning as Novak is getting more successful as he ages. A
    friend of mine really thinks Novak will be on tour at 50 : )

It looks like Novak will hang around as long as he's still winning
    slams. If Roger nearly won a slam in 2019 at nearly 38 then Novak could
    prob stretch it to 40? I hope he keeps going for many more years.
    Novak is in unchartered territory - nobody really knows how far he can
    stretch this , including Novak himself. Maybe he becomes a full time
    serve volley player to negate any physical decline?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to Whisper on Tue Sep 12 11:41:22 2023
    Whisper <whisper@ozemail.com.au> Wrote in message:r
    On 12/09/2023 2:31 am, *skriptis wrote:> > 111 - Djokovic> 103 - Federer> 96 - Nadal> 80 - Sampras> 59 - Borg> Yes. Novak has now won 12 slams before 30 and 12 slams after 30. PWL head must be spinning as Novak is getting more successful as
    he ages. A friend of mine really thinks Novak will be on tour at 50 : )It looks like Novak will hang around as long as he's still winning slams. If Roger nearly won a slam in 2019 at nearly 38 then Novak could prob stretch it to 40? I hope he keeps
    going for many more years. Novak is in unchartered territory - nobody really knows how far he can stretch this , including Novak himself. Maybe he becomes a full time serve volley player to negate any physical decline?

I hate comparisons with women, but what the hell. It's about domination in his own tour.

Graf has 110 pts and her CYGS doubles the value of those 4 slams (+19), so she's kinda on 129 pts in everyone's book.

So 130 pts for Djokovic would be an absolute goal.

That's 19 pts more exactly.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to All on Tue Sep 12 20:28:31 2023
    On 12/09/2023 7:41 pm, *skriptis wrote:
    On 12/09/2023 2:31 am, *skriptis wrote:> > 111 - Djokovic> 103 - Federer> 96 - Nadal> 80 - Sampras> 59 - Borg> Yes. Novak has now won 12 slams before 30 and 12 slams after 30. PWL head must be spinning as Novak is getting more successful as
    he ages. A friend of mine really thinks Novak will be on tour at 50 : )It looks like Novak will hang around as long as he's still winning slams. If Roger nearly won a slam in 2019 at nearly 38 then Novak could prob stretch it to 40? I hope he keeps
    going for many more years. Novak is in unchartered territory - nobody really knows how far he can stretch this , including Novak himself. Maybe he becomes a full time serve volley player to negate any physical decline?

I hate comparisons with women, but what the hell. It's about domination in his own tour.

Graf has 110 pts and her CYGS doubles the value of those 4 slams (+19), so she's kinda on 129 pts in everyone's book.

Also Graf is the only player to win 4 career slams, Novak can join her
    next FO : )

I never thought I'd see the day the women's best slam records were
    challenged by a man. I thought Court's 24 slams and 11 AO's were
    untouchable, impossible outliers. Nadal's 14 FO's is too crazy to
    contemplate. I hope Novak wins at least 1 more slam so finally Court
    can be knocked off her perch. Ideally 30 slams is a nice round
    untouchable record, but that's probably a bridge too far even for Novak
    - he'd need to repeat this slam year the next 2 yrs to get to 30.

I remember watching Novak play Guccione in Adelaide in 2007. If you
    told me then he'd be in this position 16 yrs later I'd think you're nuts.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to Whisper on Tue Sep 12 12:37:00 2023
    Whisper <whisper@ozemail.com.au> Wrote in message:
    I remember watching Novak play Guccione in Adelaide in 2007. If you told me then he'd be in this position 16 yrs later I'd think you're nuts.

What did he seem like?

Compare to some names from that era or younger guys from the past that he reminded you of?

Coric has regressed and hasn't fulfilled his potential I'd say, but from 2007 onwards I thought Djokovic wouldn't be like more successful version of present day Ćorić, beating some tough guys and always putting up good fight against them, but also
    losing a fair share of matches to lesser guys.

Compete with Murray for 2-4 slam career.

Basically I thought 2008 is the year that's normal for him, and that he could have up to 6 such seasons and then fade out.

I couldn't believe 2011 when I saw it.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to All on Tue Sep 12 20:55:07 2023
    On 12/09/2023 8:37 pm, *skriptis wrote:
    Whisper <whisper@ozemail.com.au> Wrote in message:
    I remember watching Novak play Guccione in Adelaide in 2007. If you told me then he'd be in this position 16 yrs later I'd think you're nuts.

What did he seem like?

Compare to some names from that era or younger guys from the past that he reminded you of?

I think it was the 1st time I ever heard of him. It was a tight 3
    setter Novak won. He seemed really young and a skinny kid, he was 19
    but looked like 17. Didn't particularly stand out as there were no big
    wow shots or huge serves, but for some reason I still remember it,
    remember he fought pretty hard.

Coric has regressed and hasn't fulfilled his potential I'd say, but from 2007 onwards I thought Djokovic wouldn't be like more successful version of present day Ćorić, beating some tough guys and always putting up good fight against them, but also
    losing a fair share of matches to lesser guys.

Compete with Murray for 2-4 slam career.

Basically I thought 2008 is the year that's normal for him, and that he could have up to 6 such seasons and then fade out.

I couldn't believe 2011 when I saw it.

Yeah, I kinda thought 2011 was an outlier, like Fed/Nadal were injured
    or something. Novak shows you can never judge a book by it's cover.

Goran met Novak when Novak was just a kid, and he knew the kid would be
    a big time champ. I guess it's different if you knew Novak on a
    personal level, you'd get an insight into his mental state. On the
    surface we just saw him getting the job done and saying the right things
    at the press interviews, had no idea he had this burning eternal flame
    thing raging inside : )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From grif@21:1/5 to Whisper on Tue Sep 12 12:07:39 2023
    On 12/09/2023 11:28, Whisper wrote:
    On 12/09/2023 7:41 pm, *skriptis wrote:
    On 12/09/2023 2:31 am, *skriptis wrote:> > 111 - Djokovic> 103 - Federer>    96 - Nadal>    80 - Sampras>    59 - Borg> Yes.  Novak has now won 12 slams before 30 and 12 slams after 30.  PWL head must be spinning as Novak is getting more
    successful as he ages.  A friend of mine really thinks Novak will be on tour at 50 : )It looks like Novak will hang around as long as he's still winning slams.  If Roger nearly won a slam in 2019 at nearly 38 then Novak could prob stretch it to 40?  I
    hope he keeps going for many more years. Novak is in unchartered territory - nobody really knows how far he can stretch this , including Novak himself.  Maybe he becomes a full time serve volley player to negate any physical decline?

Also Graf is the only player to win 4 career slams, Novak can join her next FO : )

I never thought I'd see the day the women's best slam records were challenged by a man.  I thought Court's 24 slams and 11 AO's were untouchable, impossible outliers.  Nadal's 14 FO's is too crazy to contemplate.  I hope Novak wins at least 1 more
    slam so finally Court can be knocked off her perch.  Ideally 30 slams is a nice round untouchable record, but that's probably a bridge too far even for Novak - he'd need to repeat this slam year the next 2 yrs to get to 30.

I remember watching Novak play Guccione in Adelaide in 2007.  If you told me then he'd be in this position 16 yrs later I'd think you're nuts.

I thought Sawfish made an interesting thread about Djoker. I hope he doesn't mind me posting it. It's an interesting time capsule. Maybe his outlook has changed, maybe it hasn't.
    https://groups.google.com/g/rec.sport.tennis/c/vk2b994jlIA/m/9XyADb28v38J

Back then, there was also a buzz around Murray. He might have had more hype than Novak. I knew that Djoker had beaten Fernando Gonzalez in 5 sets at the 2006 FO (the year he retired against Nads). I watched him play Ancic at Wimbly 2006. He was winning
    but got into eye/contact problems at the end and lost in 5 sets. I was still impressed and realised he was good on all surfaces. I thought he would be able to win some slams, but I don't think anyone would have thought he'd end up with 24 slams, lmao.

Regardless of your favourites, it's been a helluva period. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_b4tucWzSw

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MBDunc@21:1/5 to grif on Tue Sep 12 04:48:15 2023
    On Tuesday, September 12, 2023 at 2:07:45 PM UTC+3, grif wrote:
    I thought Sawfish made an interesting thread about Djoker. I hope he doesn't mind me posting it. It's an interesting time capsule. Maybe his outlook has changed, maybe it hasn't.

I recall an article where Toni Nadal spotted Djoker 2006 and claimed that he will be a big one? -> this is a kind of stripped but? : https://firstsportz.com/rafael-we-have-a-problem-said-toni-nadal-seeing-18-year-old-novak-djokovic-for-the-first-time-atp-
    tennis-news/

Funny quote in Grif's linked dejanews article by Ulysses

"> In fairness, you can't possibly judge Nole if you've only watched him
    "closely" since last year. 2011 was an anomaly and he never played
    liked that before and *probably never will again*.

.mikko

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to MBDunc on Tue Sep 12 13:56:08 2023
    MBDunc <michaelb@dnainternet.net> Wrote in message:
    Funny quote in Grif's linked dejanews article by Ulysses "In fairness, you can't possibly judge Nole if you've only watched him "closely" since last year. 2011 was an anomaly and he never played liked that before and *probably never will again*"

Yeah was right, Djokovic never played like that again, never started year with 41-0 or won 43 straight matches.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From grif@21:1/5 to MBDunc on Tue Sep 12 13:01:19 2023
    On 12/09/2023 12:48, MBDunc wrote:
    On Tuesday, September 12, 2023 at 2:07:45 PM UTC+3, grif wrote:

I recall an article where Toni Nadal spotted Djoker 2006 and claimed that he will be a big one? -> this is a kind of stripped but? : https://firstsportz.com/rafael-we-have-a-problem-said-toni-nadal-seeing-18-year-old-novak-djokovic-for-the-first-time-
    atp-tennis-news/

Funny quote in Grif's linked dejanews article by Ulysses

"> In fairness, you can't possibly judge Nole if you've only watched him
    "closely" since last year. 2011 was an anomaly and he never played
    liked that before and *probably never will again*.

.mikko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjX20gL-rnc&t=73s

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05