• Scouting report from USO 2023 Practice sessions

From undecided@21:1/5 to All on Tue Aug 22 20:38:21 2023
    Berretini looked amazing. He manhandled Khachanov in their practice match.
    Some new italian kid I had never seen or heard before really impressed me with his movement, energy and explosiveness. I forgot the name, I will get it from my buddy and post it later.
    Zverev also looked really good.
    Couacaud played like a top-50 level against Munar even though Couacaud has a beer gut.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From undecided@21:1/5 to undecided on Tue Aug 22 20:41:26 2023
    On Tuesday, August 22, 2023 at 11:38:23 PM UTC-4, undecided wrote:
    Berretini looked amazing. He manhandled Khachanov in their practice match. Some new italian kid I had never seen or heard before really impressed me with his movement, energy and explosiveness. I forgot the name, I will get it from my buddy and post it later.
    Couacaud played like a top-50 level against Munar even though Couacaud has a beer gut.
    p.s. going back tomorrow

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From undecided@21:1/5 to undecided on Tue Aug 22 20:42:43 2023
    Berretini looked amazing. He manhandled Khachanov in their practice match. Some new italian kid I had never seen or heard before really impressed me with his movement, energy and explosiveness. I forgot the name, I will get it from my buddy and post it later.
    Matteo Arnaldi is the italian kid in question...Anyone know anything about him? He looked extremely good against Sonego in their practice match.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From undecided@21:1/5 to undecided on Tue Aug 22 20:48:45 2023
    Rublev looked like a mindless basher against Karatsev but I have to say the kid hits hard but he basically goes all out on every ball regardless of position, angle, etc
    Medvedev looked quite good against Kecmanovic who seemed to have injured himself unfortunately
    Deminaur looked totally uninterested/uninspired

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scall5@21:1/5 to undecided on Wed Aug 23 18:17:25 2023
    On 8/22/2023 10:41 PM, undecided wrote:
    Berretini looked amazing. He manhandled Khachanov in their practice match. >> Some new italian kid I had never seen or heard before really impressed me with his movement, energy and explosiveness. I forgot the name, I will get it from my buddy and post it later.
    p.s. going back tomorrow

Good! And keeping posting updates like this one. Thanks in advance.
    --
    ---------------
    Scall5

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 23 16:36:26 2023
    On 8/23/23 4:17 PM, Scall5 wrote:
    Berretini looked amazing. He manhandled Khachanov in their practice
    match.
    Some new italian kid I had never seen or heard before really
    impressed me with his movement, energy and explosiveness. I forgot
    the name, I will get it from my buddy and post it later.
    Couacaud played like a top-50 level against Munar even though
    Couacaud has a beer gut.
    p.s. going back tomorrow

Agreed.

Good stuff!

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "The food at the new restaurant was awful--but at least the portions
    were large!" --Sawfish

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From undecided@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Thu Aug 24 07:20:28 2023
    On Wednesday, August 23, 2023 at 7:36:30 PM UTC-4, Sawfish wrote:
    match.
    Couacaud has a beer gut.
    p.s. going back tomorrow

Agreed.

Good stuff!

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "The food at the new restaurant was awful--but at least the portions
    were large!" --Sawfish
    2nd Day.
    Saw Rune vs FAA practice match. FAA beautiful shots and very heavy spin but quite error prone. Rune much 'faster' seemingly flatter shots, totally manhandled FAA. Rune is looking good I think for a deep run.
    Rune hit at least 2 100+mph FH and 1 100+mph BH off FAA's 1st serve. Massive. Saw Dimitrov Musetti. Lovely games both of them. Musetti looks more composed. Saw Goffin play D.Novak, poor Goffin he is a shadow of his former self.
    Saw Djoker practice but he was taking it really easy, it was not a practice match. He has the most repeatable strokes I've ever seen. It's like copy paste of each shot over and over again. Hence the incredible consistency and he does look super flexible
    as if he is not even using any muscles.
    Saw Fritz vs Norrie. Fritz was struggling with all the leftie stuff. Norrie was just solid, nothing spectacular but was easily controlling the points.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to undecided on Fri Aug 25 00:23:29 2023
    On 25/08/2023 12:20 am, undecided wrote:
    match.
    Couacaud has a beer gut.
    p.s. going back tomorrow

Agreed.

Good stuff!

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ >> "The food at the new restaurant was awful--but at least the portions
    were large!" --Sawfish
    2nd Day.
    Saw Rune vs FAA practice match. FAA beautiful shots and very heavy spin but quite error prone. Rune much 'faster' seemingly flatter shots, totally manhandled FAA. Rune is looking good I think for a deep run.
    Rune hit at least 2 100+mph FH and 1 100+mph BH off FAA's 1st serve. Massive. Saw Dimitrov Musetti. Lovely games both of them. Musetti looks more composed. Saw Goffin play D.Novak, poor Goffin he is a shadow of his former self.
    Saw Djoker practice but he was taking it really easy, it was not a practice match. He has the most repeatable strokes I've ever seen. It's like copy paste of each shot over and over again. Hence the incredible consistency and he does look super
    flexible as if he is not even using any muscles.
    Saw Fritz vs Norrie. Fritz was struggling with all the leftie stuff. Norrie was just solid, nothing spectacular but was easily controlling the points.

Alcaraz, Rune and Sinner are the new big 3 imo.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From PeteWasLucky@21:1/5 to undecided on Thu Aug 24 10:43:58 2023
    undecided <costasz@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    On Wednesday, August 23, 2023 at 7:36:30PM UTC-4, Sawfish wrote:> On 8/23/23 4:17 PM, Scall5 wrote: > > On 8/22/2023 10:41 PM, undecided wrote: > >> On Tuesday, August 22, 2023 at 11:38:23PM UTC-4, undecided wrote: > >>> Berretini looked amazing. He
    manhandled Khachanov in their practice > >>> match. > >>> Some new italian kid I had never seen or heard before really > >>> impressed me with his movement, energy and explosiveness. I forgot > >>> the name, I will get it from my buddy and post it later.
    Zverev also looked really good. > >>> Couacaud played like a top-50 level against Munar even though > >>> Couacaud has a beer gut. > >> p.s. going back tomorrow > > > > Good! And keeping posting updates like this one. Thanks in advance.> Agreed. > >
    Good stuff! > > -- > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ > "The food at the new restaurant was awful--but at least the portions > were large!" --Sawfish2nd Day.Saw Rune vs FAA practice match. FAA beautiful shots
    and very heavy spin but quite error prone. Rune much 'faster' seemingly flatter shots, totally manhandled FAA. Rune is looking good I think for a deep run.Rune hit at least 2 100+mph FH and 1 100+mph BH off FAA's 1st serve. Massive.Saw Dimitrov Musetti.
    Lovely games both of them. Musetti looks more composed.Saw Goffin play D.Novak, poor Goffin he is a shadow of his former self.Saw Djoker practice but he was taking it really easy, it was not a practice match. He has the most repeatable strokes I've ever
    seen. It's like copy paste of each shot over and over again. Hence the incredible consistency and he does look super flexible as if he is not even using any muscles.Saw Fritz vs Norrie. Fritz was struggling with all the leftie stuff. Norrie was just
    solid, nothing spectacular but was easily controlling the points.

Rune is good for three sets. I hope he is working on his stamina.
    --

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Iceberg@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 24 08:20:13 2023
    On Thursday, 24 August 2023 at 00:17:29 UTC+1, Scall5 wrote:
    Berretini looked amazing. He manhandled Khachanov in their practice match.
    Some new italian kid I had never seen or heard before really impressed me with his movement, energy and explosiveness. I forgot the name, I will get it from my buddy and post it later.
    p.s. going back tomorrow

yes thanks for the update undecided!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?Pelle_Svansl=c3=b6s?=@21:1/5 to Whisper on Thu Aug 24 18:56:16 2023
    On 24.8.2023 17.23, Whisper wrote:
    On Tuesday, August 22, 2023 at 11:38:23 PM UTC-4, undecided wrote: >>>>>> Berretini looked amazing. He manhandled Khachanov in their practice >>>>>> match.
    impressed me with his movement, energy and explosiveness. I forgot >>>>>> the name, I will get it from my buddy and post it later.
    Couacaud has a beer gut.
    p.s. going back tomorrow

Agreed.

Good stuff!

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ >>> "The food at the new restaurant was awful--but at least the portions
    were large!" --Sawfish
    2nd Day.
    Saw Rune vs FAA practice match. FAA beautiful shots and very heavy
    spin but quite error prone. Rune much 'faster' seemingly flatter
    shots, totally manhandled FAA. Rune is looking good I think for a deep
    run.
    Rune hit at least 2 100+mph FH and 1 100+mph BH off FAA's 1st serve.
    Massive.
    Saw Dimitrov Musetti. Lovely games both of them. Musetti looks more
    composed.
    Saw Goffin play D.Novak, poor Goffin he is a shadow of his former self.
    Saw Djoker practice but he was taking it really easy, it was not a
    practice match. He has the most repeatable strokes I've ever seen.
    It's like copy paste of each shot over and over again. Hence the
    incredible consistency and he does look super flexible as if he is not
    even using any muscles.
    Saw Fritz vs Norrie. Fritz was struggling with all the leftie stuff.
    Norrie was just solid, nothing spectacular but was easily controlling
    the points.

I was impressed the first time I saw Sinner. "Wow. Big shots". Then I
    saw him play a match.

--
    "And off they went, from here to there,
    The bear, the bear, and the maiden fair"
    -- Traditional

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Court_1@21:1/5 to Whisper on Thu Aug 24 14:57:33 2023
    On Thursday, August 24, 2023 at 10:23:44 AM UTC-4, Whisper wrote:
    On Tuesday, August 22, 2023 at 11:38:23 PM UTC-4, undecided wrote: >>>>> Berretini looked amazing. He manhandled Khachanov in their practice >>>>> match.
    impressed me with his movement, energy and explosiveness. I forgot >>>>> the name, I will get it from my buddy and post it later.
    Couacaud has a beer gut.
    p.s. going back tomorrow

Agreed.

Good stuff!

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The food at the new restaurant was awful--but at least the portions
    were large!" --Sawfish
    2nd Day.
    Rune hit at least 2 100+mph FH and 1 100+mph BH off FAA's 1st serve. Massive.
    Saw Dimitrov Musetti. Lovely games both of them. Musetti looks more composed.
    Saw Goffin play D.Novak, poor Goffin he is a shadow of his former self. Saw Djoker practice but he was taking it really easy, it was not a practice match. He has the most repeatable strokes I've ever seen. It's like copy paste of each shot over and over again. Hence the incredible consistency and he does look super

I highly doubt that!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From PeteWasLucky@21:1/5 to pelle@svans.los on Thu Aug 24 22:21:21 2023
    Pelle Svanslös <pelle@svans.los> Wrote in message:r
    On 24.8.2023 17.23, Whisper wrote:> On 25/08/2023 12:20 am, undecided wrote:>> On Wednesday, August 23, 2023 at 7:36:30PM UTC-4, Sawfish wrote:>>> On 8/23/23 4:17 PM, Scall5 wrote:>>>> On 8/22/2023 10:41 PM, undecided wrote:>>>>> On Tuesday, August 22,
    2023 at 11:38:23PM UTC-4, undecided wrote:>>>>>> Berretini looked amazing. He manhandled Khachanov in their practice>>>>>> match.>>>>>> Some new italian kid I had never seen or heard before really>>>>>> impressed me with his movement, energy and
    explosiveness. I forgot>>>>>> the name, I will get it from my buddy and post it later.>>>>>> Zverev also looked really good.>>>>>> Couacaud played like a top-50 level against Munar even though>>>>>> Couacaud has a beer gut.>>>>> p.s. going back tomorrow>>
    Good! And keeping posting updates like this one. Thanks in advance.>>> Agreed.>>>>>> Good stuff!>>>>>> -- >>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>> "The food at the new restaurant was awful--but at least
    the portions>>> were large!" --Sawfish>> 2nd Day.>> Saw Rune vs FAA practice match. FAA beautiful shots and very heavy >> spin but quite error prone. Rune much 'faster' seemingly flatter >> shots, totally manhandled FAA. Rune is looking good I think for
    a deep >> run.>> Rune hit at least 2 100+mph FH and 1 100+mph BH off FAA's 1st serve. >> Massive.>> Saw Dimitrov Musetti. Lovely games both of them. Musetti looks more >> composed.>> Saw Goffin play D.Novak, poor Goffin he is a shadow of his former self.>
    Saw Djoker practice but he was taking it really easy, it was not a >> practice match. He has the most repeatable strokes I've ever seen. >> It's like copy paste of each shot over and over again. Hence the >> incredible consistency and he does look
    super flexible as if he is not >> even using any muscles.>> Saw Fritz vs Norrie. Fritz was struggling with all the leftie stuff. >> Norrie was just solid, nothing spectacular but was easily controlling >> the points.>>>>>>> > > Alcaraz, Rune and Sinner
    are the new big 3 imo.I was impressed the first time I saw Sinner. "Wow. Big shots". Then I saw him play a match.-- "And off they went, from here to there,The bear, the bear, and the maiden fair"-- Traditional

You should have seen him playing the second match :)
    --

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 25 17:41:30 2023
    On 25/08/2023 7:57 am, Court_1 wrote:
    On Thursday, August 24, 2023 at 10:23:44 AM UTC-4, Whisper wrote:

I highly doubt that!

Unless some new talents emerge. These 3 are a cut above the rest. If
    they remain committed they will all win a few slams imo. Alcaraz is
    fastest out of the blocks, just depends how long he can maintain this
    explosive level. At some point he'll have to throttle down I think and
    the other 2 may improve. We'll see what happens but that's how it's
    shaping up for me.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From me@21:1/5 to Whisper on Fri Aug 25 03:16:13 2023
    On Thursday, August 24, 2023 at 3:23:44 PM UTC+1, Whisper wrote:
    On Tuesday, August 22, 2023 at 11:38:23 PM UTC-4, undecided wrote: >>>>> Berretini looked amazing. He manhandled Khachanov in their practice >>>>> match.
    impressed me with his movement, energy and explosiveness. I forgot >>>>> the name, I will get it from my buddy and post it later.
    Couacaud has a beer gut.
    p.s. going back tomorrow

Agreed.

Good stuff!

--
    were large!" --Sawfish
    2nd Day.
    Saw Goffin play D.Novak, poor Goffin he is a shadow of his former self. Saw Djoker practice but he was taking it really easy, it was not a practice match. He has the most repeatable strokes I've ever seen. It's like copy paste of each shot over and over again. Hence the incredible consistency and he does look super

Alcaraz is the new big 3. Rune and Sinner are the new Murray and Wawrinka.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Iceberg@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 25 05:08:57 2023
    On Friday, 25 August 2023 at 11:16:15 UTC+1, me wrote:
    Couacaud has a beer gut.
    p.s. going back tomorrow

Agreed.

Good stuff!

--
    were large!" --Sawfish
    2nd Day.

oh are they going to be giving Djoker some good beatings?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From undecided@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 25 07:39:08 2023
    On Friday, August 25, 2023 at 6:16:15 AM UTC-4, me wrote:
    Couacaud has a beer gut.
    p.s. going back tomorrow

Agreed.

Good stuff!

--
    were large!" --Sawfish
    2nd Day.

I like Musetti (same age group) unfortunately he has that 1 hander that may limit him.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to undecided on Sat Aug 26 00:47:44 2023
    On 26/08/2023 12:39 am, undecided wrote:

I like Musetti (same age group) unfortunately he has that 1 hander that may limit him.

Yeah he retreated into his shell a bit after making a strong debut at
    17. If he gets the right coach he can make a push at some slams.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Court_1@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 25 12:49:48 2023
    Couacaud has a beer gut.
    p.s. going back tomorrow

Agreed.

Good stuff!

--
    were large!" --Sawfish
    2nd Day.

Sinner seems so limited. I can't even see how he's better than Berdych but the only thing I see in him that's better than Berdych is that he seems to want to do anything to improve.

Rune has behavioral issues. Really nauseating to watch IMO.

I think Sinner and Rune will be lucky to have Murray/Wawrinka type careers. They're still young so we'll see how it all unfolds.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Court_1@21:1/5 to undecided on Fri Aug 25 12:44:00 2023
    On Friday, August 25, 2023 at 10:39:10 AM UTC-4, undecided wrote:
    match.
    Couacaud played like a top-50 level against Munar even though >>>>> Couacaud has a beer gut.
    p.s. going back tomorrow

Good! And keeping posting updates like this one. Thanks in advance. >> Agreed.

Good stuff!

--
    "The food at the new restaurant was awful--but at least the portions >> were large!" --Sawfish
    2nd Day.
    Saw Djoker practice but he was taking it really easy, it was not a practice match. He has the most repeatable strokes I've ever seen. It's like copy paste of each shot over and over again. Hence the incredible consistency and he does look super

I like Musetti's playing style too but I'm not sure he's got the tennis IQ or motivation to be any kind of great player.

I love Tsitsipas' playing style but he has crucial weaknesses in his game. Hopefully, firing the dad as head coach can help improve things.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From me@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 25 15:31:26 2023
    On Friday, August 25, 2023 at 8:49:50 PM UTC+1, Court_1 wrote:
    match.
    Couacaud played like a top-50 level against Munar even though >>>>> Couacaud has a beer gut.
    p.s. going back tomorrow

Good! And keeping posting updates like this one. Thanks in advance. >> Agreed.

Good stuff!

--
    "The food at the new restaurant was awful--but at least the portions >> were large!" --Sawfish
    2nd Day.

Sinner seems so limited. I can't even see how he's better than Berdych but the only thing I see in him that's better than Berdych is that he seems to want to do anything to improve.

I think Sinner and Rune will be lucky to have Murray/Wawrinka type careers. They're still young so we'll see how it all unfolds.

Alcaraz surely can’t win everything?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Court_1@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 25 15:43:32 2023
    On Friday, August 25, 2023 at 6:31:27 PM UTC-4, me wrote:
    match.
    Some new italian kid I had never seen or heard before really >>>>> impressed me with his movement, energy and explosiveness. I forgot
    p.s. going back tomorrow

Agreed.

Good stuff!

--
    were large!" --Sawfish
    2nd Day.

We'll have to see what happens. I don't think any of those three(Alcaraz, Sinner, Rune) will have Big Three type careers. That's a high mountain to climb. But what do I know? Years ago, when Djokovic was way behind Federer in the slam count, I never
    thought Djokovic would claim the slam race. I thought it was impossible.

Right now, Alcaraz appears to be on a much higher level than Sinner/Rune. However, things can change rapidly.

I just find Sinner to be limited. A mindless ball-basher but Darren Cahill(his coach) must think differently. As for Rune, I tried to watch him once or twice and found him insufferable. He also has some weaknesses in his game from what I saw. But
    Patrick Mouratoglou only supports players who he thinks can be big stars so who knows? Mouratoglou has had bad luck lately--i.e. his meal ticket Serena quit, Halep was busted for drug use, and Tsitsipas regressed. Those were all players he was high on.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From PeteWasLucky@21:1/5 to neilr76@googlemail.com on Sat Aug 26 00:13:26 2023
    me <neilr76@googlemail.com> Wrote in message:r
    On Friday, August 25, 2023 at 8:49:50PM UTC+1, Court_1 wrote:> On Friday, August 25, 2023 at 6:16:15AM UTC-4, me wrote:> > On Thursday, August 24, 2023 at 3:23:44PM UTC+1, Whisper wrote: > > > On 25/08/2023 12:20 am, undecided wrote: > > > > On
    Wednesday, August 23, 2023 at 7:36:30PM UTC-4, Sawfish wrote: > > > >> On 8/23/23 4:17 PM, Scall5 wrote: > > > >>> On 8/22/2023 10:41 PM, undecided wrote: > > > >>>> On Tuesday, August 22, 2023 at 11:38:23PM UTC-4, undecided wrote: > > > >>>>>
    Berretini looked amazing. He manhandled Khachanov in their practice > > > >>>>> match. > > > >>>>> Some new italian kid I had never seen or heard before really > > > >>>>> impressed me with his movement, energy and explosiveness. I forgot > > > >>>>> the
    name, I will get it from my buddy and post it later. > > > >>>>> Zverev also looked really good. > > > >>>>> Couacaud played like a top-50 level against Munar even though > > > >>>>> Couacaud has a beer gut. > > > >>>> p.s. going back tomorrow > > > >>> >
    Good! And keeping posting updates like this one. Thanks in advance. > > > >> Agreed. > > > >> > > > >> Good stuff! > > > >> > > > >> -- > > > >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ > > > >> "The food at
    the new restaurant was awful--but at least the portions > > > >> were large!" --Sawfish > > > > 2nd Day. > > > > Saw Rune vs FAA practice match. FAA beautiful shots and very heavy spin but quite error prone. Rune much 'faster' seemingly flatter shots,
    totally manhandled FAA. Rune is looking good I think for a deep run. > > > > Rune hit at least 2 100+mph FH and 1 100+mph BH off FAA's 1st serve. Massive. > > > > Saw Dimitrov Musetti. Lovely games both of them. Musetti looks more composed. > > > > Saw
    Goffin play D.Novak, poor Goffin he is a shadow of his former self. > > > > Saw Djoker practice but he was taking it really easy, it was not a practice match. He has the most repeatable strokes I've ever seen. It's like copy paste of each shot over and
    over again. Hence the incredible consistency and he does look super flexible as if he is not even using any muscles. > > > > Saw Fritz vs Norrie. Fritz was struggling with all the leftie stuff. Norrie was just solid, nothing spectacular but was easily
    controlling the points. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Alcaraz, Rune and Sinner are the new big 3 imo. > > > Alcaraz is the new big 3. Rune and Sinner are the new Murray and Wawrinka.> Sinner seems so limited. I can't even see how he's better than Berdych
    but the only thing I see in him that's better than Berdych is that he seems to want to do anything to improve. > > Rune has behavioral issues. Really nauseating to watch IMO. > > I think Sinner and Rune will be lucky to have Murray/Wawrinka type careers.
    They're still young so we'll see how it all unfolds.Alcaraz surely can’t win everything?

Alcaraz was lucky to reach the Cinci final and before Cinci he lost to a guy called Paul in Canada and almost lost to him again in Cinci.
    Looking at his half in the uso, I am not sure he can make it to the final, while I can see Djokovic in the final without dropping a set.

Few years back we had the top 4, now we have the top 1.5 :)
    This is the kind of competition we have now, but hopefully Rune and Medvedev can raise their level.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 26 18:35:19 2023
    On 26/08/2023 8:31 am, me wrote:

Alcaraz is the new big 3. Rune and Sinner are the new Murray and Wawrinka. >> Sinner seems so limited. I can't even see how he's better than Berdych but the only thing I see in him that's better than Berdych is that he seems to want to do anything to improve.

That's my knee jerk reaction too, but you just don't know with this kid.
    He hasn't really lost in a slam since he won his 1st last USO. He
    skipped AO and got cramps at FO so they are not indicative. Also I think
    these last 3 matches with Novak - FO/Wim/Cin have really raised his
    game. He's learnt a lot from Novak.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 26 18:42:21 2023
    On 26/08/2023 8:43 am, Court_1 wrote:

We'll have to see what happens. I don't think any of those three(Alcaraz, Sinner, Rune) will have Big Three type careers. That's a high mountain to climb. But what do I know? Years ago, when Djokovic was way behind Federer in the slam count, I never
    thought Djokovic would claim the slam race. I thought it was impossible.

Right now, Alcaraz appears to be on a much higher level than Sinner/Rune. However, things can change rapidly.

I just find Sinner to be limited. A mindless ball-basher but Darren Cahill(his coach) must think differently. As for Rune, I tried to watch him once or twice and found him insufferable. He also has some weaknesses in his game from what >I saw. But
    Patrick Mouratoglou only supports players who he thinks can be big stars so who knows? Mouratoglou has had bad luck lately--i.e. his meal ticket Serena quit, Halep was busted for drug use, and Tsitsipas regressed. Those were >all players he was high on.

Sinner has the game but not the mentality of a champion. He appears
    satisfied with losses (contrast with Alcaraz crying after loss to Novak
    the other day), talks about work/life balance being important and
    Federer got it right etc. That's crazy talk. Roger had already won
    huge number of slams before work/life balance thing. Sinner has to
    prove himself before he takes it easy. He really needs a good coach to
    fire him up.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to Whisper on Sat Aug 26 12:09:00 2023
    Whisper <whisper@ozemail.com.au> Wrote in message:
    That's my knee jerk reaction too, but you just don't know with this kid. He hasn't really lost in a slam since he won his 1st last USO. He skipped AO and got cramps at FO so they are not indicative. Also I think these last 3 matches with Novak - FO/
    Wim/Cin have really raised his game. He's learnt a lot from Novak.

I feel he's about the hit the wall short term.

You saw it already with him struggling vs Paul in multiple matches, losing 2 and winning a close third one.

1 such match vs Paul might be explained by Wimbledon fatigue and content, but not all 3.

It tells you just like anyone else, he can have match up issues, so there are parts of his game that can be probed.

He's also played 4 matches with Djokovic and he's not winning any easier, it's staying close.

The future belongs to him, but as other players get familiar with him, especially the ones who study the game, they will neutralise him to an extent, before his physical peak truly begins and his perfection kicks off.

Djokovic is already reading his game a lot better and the next 3 or 4 matches will be Djokovic's chance to score some great legacy points in their meetings.

After that, adios.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From undecided@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 26 06:33:41 2023
    On Saturday, August 26, 2023 at 6:09:04 AM UTC-4, *skriptis wrote:
    Whisper <whi...@ozemail.com.au> Wrote in message:
    That's my knee jerk reaction too, but you just don't know with this kid. He hasn't really lost in a slam since he won his 1st last USO. He skipped AO and got cramps at FO so they are not indicative. Also I think these last 3 matches with Novak - FO/
    Wim/Cin have really raised his game. He's learnt a lot from Novak.
    I feel he's about the hit the wall short term.

You saw it already with him struggling vs Paul in multiple matches, losing 2 and winning a close third one.

1 such match vs Paul might be explained by Wimbledon fatigue and content, but not all 3.

It tells you just like anyone else, he can have match up issues, so there are parts of his game that can be probed.

He's also played 4 matches with Djokovic and he's not winning any easier, it's staying close.

The future belongs to him, but as other players get familiar with him, especially the ones who study the game, they will neutralise him to an extent, before his physical peak truly begins and his perfection kicks off.

Djokovic is already reading his game a lot better and the next 3 or 4 matches will be Djokovic's chance to score some great legacy points in their meetings.

After that, adios.
    --

There was an obvious weakness in his last match with Djoker. Djoker was rushing him on the FH side and Alcaraz kept dumping forehands into the net. I lost count of how many.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to Whisper on Sat Aug 26 07:31:17 2023
    On 8/26/23 1:42 AM, Whisper wrote:

We'll have to see what happens. I don't think any of those
    three(Alcaraz, Sinner, Rune) will have Big Three type careers. That's
    a high mountain to climb. But what do I know? Years ago, when
    Djokovic was way behind Federer in the slam count, I never thought
    Djokovic would claim the slam race. I thought it was impossible.

Right now, Alcaraz appears to be on a much higher level than
    Sinner/Rune. However, things can change rapidly.

I just find Sinner to be limited. A mindless ball-basher but Darren
    Cahill(his coach) must think differently. As for Rune, I tried to
    watch him once or twice and found him insufferable.  He also has some
    weaknesses in his game from what >I saw. But Patrick Mouratoglou only
    supports players who he thinks can be big stars so who knows?
    Mouratoglou has had bad luck lately--i.e. his meal ticket Serena
    quit, Halep was busted for drug use, and Tsitsipas regressed. Those
    were >all players he was high on.

Sinner has the game but not the mentality of a champion.  He appears satisfied with losses (contrast with Alcaraz crying after loss to
    Novak the other day), talks about work/life balance being important
    and Federer got it right etc.  That's crazy talk.  Roger had already
    won huge number of slams before work/life balance thing.  Sinner has
    to prove himself before he takes it easy.  He really needs a good
    coach to fire him up.

This "work/life balance" is a sort of a Gen Z thing. It's like a meme.
    They keep saying it over and over to avoid having to really put out for
    a sustained period.

--
    "I done created myself a monster."

--Boxing trainer Pappy Gault, on George Foreman ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From undecided@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Sat Aug 26 12:48:57 2023
    On Saturday, August 26, 2023 at 10:31:21 AM UTC-4, Sawfish wrote:

watch him once or twice and found him insufferable. He also has some

Sinner has the game but not the mentality of a champion. He appears satisfied with losses (contrast with Alcaraz crying after loss to
    and Federer got it right etc. That's crazy talk. Roger had already
    won huge number of slams before work/life balance thing. Sinner has
    to prove himself before he takes it easy. He really needs a good
    coach to fire him up.
    a sustained period.

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "I done created myself a monster."

--Boxing trainer Pappy Gault, on George Foreman ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PICS: https://www.youtube.com/@2008M5/community

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From undecided@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Sat Aug 26 12:58:20 2023

Sinner has the game but not the mentality of a champion. He appears satisfied with losses (contrast with Alcaraz crying after loss to
    coach to fire him up.
    a sustained period.

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "I done created myself a monster."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?Pelle_Svansl=c3=b6s?=@21:1/5 to undecided on Mon Aug 28 00:26:38 2023
    On 26.8.2023 22.48, undecided wrote:

Sinner has the game but not the mentality of a champion. He appears
    satisfied with losses (contrast with Alcaraz crying after loss to
    coach to fire him up.
    a sustained period.

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ >> "I done created myself a monster."

--Boxing trainer Pappy Gault, on George Foreman

Excellent stuff. Thanks.

--
    "And off they went, from here to there,
    The bear, the bear, and the maiden fair"
    -- Traditional

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05