• What decided the final

From *skriptis@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 16 20:21:10 2023
    Wind.

Alcaraz was kinda paralyzed in set 1 so he lost it, but Djokovic served atrociously almost entire match but especially in first half of the match when wind was strong. It subsided latter in the match, in sets 4 and 5 in which both played well and were
    even, but the massive damage to Djokovic was done in sets 2 and 3 which he lost.

Wind fucked with his timing on shots, but serve especially. With normal serving he wins routinely?

Too bad for the annoying weather, as clearly the age gap was still not as big this year and Djokovic could have won on grass easily.

Hard and clay not really, that's already for Alcaraz to lose, but this one was kinda a freebie.

But hey, both kinda won matches they weren't supposed to win, Djokovic at FO and Alcaraz at Wimbledon.

In the end, I'd still take it the way it happened, triple CGS is more important than co-owning Wimbledon record at 8. There will be guys winning 8, 9, 10 and perhaps more so it's not really eternal to that extent.

And Djokovic surely won't ever be contender for FO, while he might get a chance at Wimbledon.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From me@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 16 11:30:12 2023
    On Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 7:21:11 PM UTC+1, *skriptis wrote:
    Wind.

Alcaraz was kinda paralyzed in set 1 so he lost it, but Djokovic served atrociously almost entire match but especially in first half of the match when wind was strong. It subsided latter in the match, in sets 4 and 5 in which both played well and were
    even, but the massive damage to Djokovic was done in sets 2 and 3 which he lost.

Wind fucked with his timing on shots, but serve especially. With normal serving he wins routinely?

Too bad for the annoying weather, as clearly the age gap was still not as big this year and Djokovic could have won on grass easily.

Hard and clay not really, that's already for Alcaraz to lose, but this one was kinda a freebie.

But hey, both kinda won matches they weren't supposed to win, Djokovic at FO and Alcaraz at Wimbledon.

In the end, I'd still take it the way it happened, triple CGS is more important than co-owning Wimbledon record at 8. There will be guys winning 8, 9, 10 and perhaps more so it's not really eternal to that extent.

And Djokovic surely won't ever be contender for FO, while he might get a chance at Wimbledon.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

Can't agree. An eighth wimbledon would be worth far more to his legacy than a third french open. Yes, he will have another chance next year, but that could have been a chance for the standalone wimbledon crown had he won this one.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TT@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 16 21:32:17 2023
    *skriptis kirjoitti 16.7.2023 klo 21.21:

Wind.

Djoke was a stiffy.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TT@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 16 21:42:40 2023
    me kirjoitti 16.7.2023 klo 21.30:
    Wind.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
    https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

Can't agree. An eighth wimbledon would be worth far more to his legacy than a third french open. Yes, he will have another chance next year, but that could have been a chance for the standalone wimbledon crown had he won this one.

Djokovic also had a chance at Calendar Slam. The last one, I think.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to neilr76@googlemail.com on Sun Jul 16 20:43:31 2023
    me <neilr76@googlemail.com> Wrote in message:

Yes, ok I respect that.

Whether record CGS is a bigger deal than Wimbledon record I don't go there now.

But the thing is, if Rafa at FO is a benchmark for eternal record, I'm just saying standalone triple CGS winner looks much safer than 8 Wimbledon titles.I'm looking long-term, what is supposed to last longer.

But of course winning Wimbledon would be huge. Had Djokovic won his 8th, Federer could start eat himself alive over those match points.

Djokovic at 8, 9 and 10 Wimbledon titles is a nightmare for Federer as +1 and -1 changes the Wimbledon goat.

Djokovic at 7 or 11+, and Federer can forget their match as it doesn't affect Wimbledon goat.

So maybe it was not meant to be painful for Federer? ;)

Btw Alcaraz is almost certain to break Djokovic's year-end record, and very likely to break his weeks record.

He'll be already on 2 this year and he's only 20.

Federer has 5 year end #1.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to TT@dprk.kp on Sun Jul 16 20:48:49 2023
    TT <TT@dprk.kp> Wrote in message:
    Djokovic also had a chance at Calendar Slam. The last one, I think.

Hardly, he's very bad at winning USO, historically, career wise and so on plus with Alcaraz on hardcourt it's unlikely he'd have won.

Djokovic CYGS reminds me of Liam Neeson 2011 Grey movie. Survival is not meant to be, you find that at the end.

Having a shot at it in 2021 was surprising really, but old guys at 34 are not meant to do it.

CYGS is won by young players with bold games on a roll. Djokovic in 2011 or Alcaraz within next few years are the guys who are meant to win CYGS.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to TT@dprk.kp on Sun Jul 16 21:02:41 2023
    Djoke was a stiffy.

He got upset over squandering the tiebreak lead in set 2, and in set 5 after not converting that break point and losing his serve immediately afterwards.

This was very close to Djokovic winning 6-3 in the fifth yet it went the other way around. Can't win all.

But it started well and maybe this is where he needs me for coach? You Djokovic don't go into "lockdown" mode vs brave big hitting young guys such as Thiem, Rune, Alcaraz and so on. At least you don't go into "lockdown" mode as early in the match as you'
    d do against Berdych, Berrettini types.

Previously it cost him 2019 FO SF vs Thiem and YEC SF in 2020 I believe. And that's just Thiem.

These better and braver guys who can hit couple of winners in a row, they won't choke, they might miss, but they're in form and confident and they're more likely to hit than miss.

You go into lockdown mode vs guys like Alcaraz when you're e.g. 6-5 ahead in tiebreak, not at 3-0. Not to mention the lockdown mode totally failed in today's tiebreak vs Alcaraz due to wind.

He had that insane stat 0 unforced errors in couple of tiebreaks at FO recently, but you can't have that with a wind on grass.

Perhaps on clay you can compensate a bit with topspin, but not on grass.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TT@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 16 21:46:48 2023
    *skriptis kirjoitti 16.7.2023 klo 21.43:
    I'm just saying standalone triple CGS winner looks much safer than 8 Wimbledon titles.

I don't think so. Alcaraz could well do it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 16 13:13:59 2023
    On 7/16/23 12:02 PM, *skriptis wrote:
    Djoke was a stiffy.

He got upset over squandering the tiebreak lead in set 2, and in set 5 after not converting that break point and losing his serve immediately afterwards.

Yes, that's exactly the turn. And not only did he fail to put away the
    break point,  then blow his serve, but he then broke his racquet AND
    pissed away the next return game with I think  4 UEs off his forehand.

Pissed away one entire game i which he might have broken back.

The wheels came off during that period. He regained control later, but
    it was too late by then against someone like Alcaraz.

This was very close to Djokovic winning 6-3 in the fifth yet it went the other way around. Can't win all.

But it started well and maybe this is where he needs me for coach? You Djokovic don't go into "lockdown" mode vs brave big hitting young guys such as Thiem, Rune, Alcaraz and so on. At least you don't go into "lockdown" mode as early in the match as
    you'd do against Berdych, Berrettini types.

Previously it cost him 2019 FO SF vs Thiem and YEC SF in 2020 I believe. And that's just Thiem.

These better and braver guys who can hit couple of winners in a row, they won't choke, they might miss, but they're in form and confident and they're more likely to hit than miss.

You go into lockdown mode vs guys like Alcaraz when you're e.g. 6-5 ahead in tiebreak, not at 3-0. Not to mention the lockdown mode totally failed in today's tiebreak vs Alcaraz due to wind.

He had that insane stat 0 unforced errors in couple of tiebreaks at FO recently, but you can't have that with a wind on grass.

Perhaps on clay you can compensate a bit with topspin, but not on grass.

--
    --Sawfish ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would accept someone like me
    as a member." --G. Marx

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From grif@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 16 21:41:07 2023
    On 16/07/2023 19:30, me wrote:
    Wind.

--

Martina has the record in the open era anyway at nine.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From No Buyout@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 16 16:32:19 2023
    On Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 2:30:14 PM UTC-4, me wrote:

Doesn't really matter if Djokovic can't tie Federer in Wimbledons. All 3 are the kings of one tournament - Djokovic of the Australian, Nadal of the French, Federer of Wimbledon. Djokovic gets the tiebreaker in total titles, and also the fact that he's
    the only one to win each of the 4 Grand Slams at least 3 times.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Court_1@21:1/5 to RaspingDrive on Sun Jul 16 16:57:37 2023
    On Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 2:57:01 PM UTC-4, RaspingDrive wrote:
    On Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 2:43:31 PM UTC-4, *skriptis wrote:
    me <nei...@googlemail.com> Wrote in message:
    Yes, ok I respect that.

But the thing is, if Rafa at FO is a benchmark for eternal record, I'm just saying standalone triple CGS winner looks much safer than 8 Wimbledon titles.I'm looking long-term, what is supposed to last longer.

But of course winning Wimbledon would be huge. Had Djokovic won his 8th, Federer could start eat himself alive over those match points.

Djokovic at 8, 9 and 10 Wimbledon titles is a nightmare for Federer as +1 and -1 changes the Wimbledon goat.

Djokovic at 7 or 11+, and Federer can forget their match as it doesn't affect Wimbledon goat.

Btw Alcaraz is almost certain to break Djokovic's year-end record, and very likely to break his weeks record.

--

Djokovic will have to eke out slam titles here and there from hereon. I reckoned that with the 7-1/2 Saturn in full swing for him, he would have a hard time getting the 8th Wimbledon title. Indeed, I noted unambiguously in two threads that Avatar
    Alcaraz would win it today. Needless to add, with the 7-1/2 S continuing to be active, it will get harder for Djokovic to get easy wins. As for Federer, how could he receive adverse news this year? No chance. I won't go into the details, but let me say
    that he will remain the Wimbledon King until Alcaraz possibly overhauls it. As already noted, next year also it will be tough for Djokovic. I just feel that he will remain at 7.

Nah, let's not get carried away just yet! These reactions are too premature IMO. It's one loss and it was a close call. I'd like to see Pipe humiliated over and over again by Alkie or somebody else but it's much too early to make that call.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gracchus@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 16 18:34:24 2023
    On Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 4:57:39 PM UTC-7, Court_1 wrote:

Djokovic will have to eke out slam titles here and there from hereon. I reckoned that with the 7-1/2 Saturn in full swing for him, he would have a hard time getting the 8th Wimbledon title. Indeed, I noted unambiguously in two threads that Avatar
    Alcaraz would win it today. Needless to add, with the 7-1/2 S continuing to be active, it will get harder for Djokovic to get easy wins. As for Federer, how could he receive adverse news this year? No chance. I won't go into the details, but let me say
    that he will remain the Wimbledon King until Alcaraz possibly overhauls it. As already noted, next year also it will be tough for Djokovic. I just feel that he will remain at 7.

Nah, let's not get carried away just yet! These reactions are too premature IMO. It's one loss and it was a close call. I'd like to see Pipe humiliated over and over again by Alkie or somebody else but it's much too early to make that call.

Agree about it being too early to make wild predictions. But as you said, you didn't see much of the match and the way it unfolded. Remember, this was Djokovic on HIS court against Alcaraz, who hasn't even mastered grass court play yet. Djokovic looked
    sure he'd run away with the match when he had the first set in the bag and he was pulling his jackass antics with the crowd. Then, Alcaraz got progressively stronger and more confident, keeping Djoke frustrated and overreaching. He stymied him in the
    second set tiebreak, which just *isn't done.* And never let him fully regain his balance up until the end.

I'm not saying I think Alcaraz has crushed Djokovic's spirit, because that would be delusional. But it has to feel like a serious gut-punch. I don't think hyena-head will ever enter a match against Alacaraz with the same smugness going forward. The kid
    earned some serious streed-cred today.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Court_1@21:1/5 to Gracchus on Sun Jul 16 20:27:21 2023
    On Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 9:34:26 PM UTC-4, Gracchus wrote:

Agree about it being too early to make wild predictions. But as you said, you didn't see much of the match and the way it unfolded.

No, I didn't. Darn!

Remember, this was Djokovic on HIS court against Alcaraz, who hasn't even mastered grass court play yet.

Very true. That's a strong check mark for Alkie.

Djokovic looked sure he'd run away with the match when he had the first set in the bag and he was pulling his jackass antics with the crowd. Then, Alcaraz got progressively stronger and more confident, keeping Djoke frustrated and overreaching. He
    stymied him in the second set tiebreak, which just *isn't done.* And never let him fully regain his balance up until the end.

Finally, a player does it!

I'm not saying I think Alcaraz has crushed Djokovic's spirit, because that would be delusional. But it has to feel like a serious gut-punch. I don't think hyena-head will ever enter a match against Alacaraz with the same smugness going forward. The kid

But that's what I mean. Pipe Cleaner seems to be obsessive about finding solutions when somebody beats him. Although, it sure didn't work vs Wawrinka so much at the slams for a few years. Pipe was visibly scared of him. It showed. Let's hope Alkie
    continues the damage and doesn't get injured.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MBDunc@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 16 21:52:04 2023
    And the biggest surprise to me.

Alcaraz return game. Djoker barely got any breathing room (and only handful of aces)

Of course his grass RoS was proven by his previous Rune/Meds matches but still....

.mikko

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MBDunc@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 16 21:46:48 2023
    On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 6:27:24 AM UTC+3, Court_1 wrote:
    I don't think hyena-head will ever enter a match against Alacaraz with the same smugness going forward. The kid earned some serious streed-cred today.
    But that's what I mean. Pipe Cleaner seems to be obsessive about finding solutions when somebody beats him. Although, it sure didn't work vs Wawrinka so much at the slams for a few years. Pipe was visibly scared of him. It showed. Let's hope Alkie
    continues the damage and doesn't get injured.

Alcaraz and Wawrinka have one common factor: both are super great to blast a ball from a neutral dead weight ball.

This was a high quality final but the wind - which clearly frustrated Djoker. But same for both and maybe Alcaraz played wind generally better?

I think 2nd set Alcaraz was already better but by miracles Djoker managed to get into set-point situation, but blew it.

Similar to FO, Djoker really had to push it as Alcaraz really is very good.

Nice post-match speeches by Djoker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=867mtHTsaDo (on court) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qA4Y350fHI (press conf)

.mikko

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TT@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 17 13:31:13 2023
    grif kirjoitti 16.7.2023 klo 23.41:
    Wind.

Alcaraz was kinda paralyzed in set 1 so he lost it, but Djokovic
    served atrociously almost entire match but especially in first half
    of the match when wind was strong. It subsided latter in the match,
    in sets 4 and 5 in which both played well and were even, but the
    massive damage to Djokovic was done in sets 2 and 3 which he lost.

Wind fucked with his timing on shots, but serve especially. With
    normal serving he wins routinely?

Too bad for the annoying weather, as clearly the age gap was still
    not as big this year and Djokovic could have won on grass easily.

Hard and clay not really, that's already for Alcaraz to lose, but
    this one was kinda a freebie.

But hey, both kinda won matches they weren't supposed to win,
    Djokovic at FO and Alcaraz at Wimbledon.

In the end, I'd still take it the way it happened, triple CGS is more
    important than co-owning Wimbledon record at 8. There will be guys
    winning 8, 9, 10 and perhaps more so it's not really eternal to that
    extent.

And Djokovic surely won't ever be contender for FO, while he might
    get a chance at Wimbledon.

--

Can't agree. An eighth wimbledon would be worth far more to his legacy
    than a third french open. Yes, he will have another chance next year,
    but that could have been a chance for the standalone wimbledon crown
    had he won this one.

Sniff
    Nole the great lost.

https://www.icegif.com/wp-content/uploads/crying-icegif-3.gif

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Iceberg@21:1/5 to Gracchus on Mon Jul 17 04:12:13 2023
    On Monday, 17 July 2023 at 02:34:26 UTC+1, Gracchus wrote:

Agree about it being too early to make wild predictions. But as you said, you didn't see much of the match and the way it unfolded. Remember, this was Djokovic on HIS court against Alcaraz, who hasn't even mastered grass court play yet. Djokovic looked
    sure he'd run away with the match when he had the first set in the bag and he was pulling his jackass antics with the crowd. Then, Alcaraz got progressively stronger and more confident, keeping Djoke frustrated and overreaching. He stymied him in the
    second set tiebreak, which just *isn't done.* And never let him fully regain his balance up until the end.

bit lost why you guys think Alcaraz is so good on clay? he got whooped by Djoker and you can make all the oh he got cramps excuses you like cos he got whooped the year before by Zverev. What on earth makes you think he good on clay, he not even won Monte
    Carlo.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TT@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 17 14:37:10 2023
    Gracchus kirjoitti 17.7.2023 klo 4.34:

Agreed. Just a comment "hasn't even mastered grass-court play".

It looked to me, based on this one match only, that Alkie's style fits
    superbly for grass... as he plays very creatively and you never know
    what he will do next. He played quite a few slices and was good at the
    net. Drop shots compliment his bazookas. He looked surprisingly finished product on grass. Movement was Nadal-like.

Of course there are some more grass tricks of the trade on returns etc
    which he can still improve on, probably game tactics as well. He plays
    free flowing tennis, not hitting according to plan but what he feels
    like at the moment. Not sure if that's good or bad in the long run but
    it sure is fun to watch when it works out.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TT@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 17 14:48:02 2023
    The Iceberg kirjoitti 17.7.2023 klo 14.12:
    On Monday, 17 July 2023 at 02:34:26 UTC+1, Gracchus wrote:

Agree about it being too early to make wild predictions. But as you said, you didn't see much of the match and the way it unfolded. Remember, this was Djokovic on HIS court against Alcaraz, who hasn't even mastered grass court play yet. Djokovic
    looked sure he'd run away with the match when he had the first set in the bag and he was pulling his jackass antics with the crowd. Then, Alcaraz got progressively stronger and more confident, keeping Djoke frustrated and overreaching. He stymied him in
    the second set tiebreak, which just *isn't done.* And never let him fully regain his balance up until the end.

I'm not saying I think Alcaraz has crushed Djokovic's spirit, because that would be delusional. But it has to feel like a serious gut-punch. I don't think hyena-head will ever enter a match against Alacaraz with the same smugness going forward. The
    kid earned some serious streed-cred today.

bit lost why you guys think Alcaraz is so good on clay? he got whooped by Djoker and you can make all the oh he got cramps excuses you like cos he got whooped the year before by Zverev. What on earth makes you think he good on clay, he not even won
    Monte Carlo.

Most of his titles are on clay & winning 82% on clay while 75% on hard.

He's won Barcelona and Madrid past couple years. played only once at
    both MC & Rome.

But who knows, maybe he's even better on grass.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From grif@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 17 13:57:48 2023
    On 17/07/2023 11:31, TT wrote:
    Wind.

Alcaraz was kinda paralyzed in set 1 so he lost it, but Djokovic served atrociously almost entire match but especially in first half of the match when wind was strong. It subsided latter in the match, in sets 4 and 5 in which both played well and
    were even, but the massive damage to Djokovic was done in sets 2 and 3 which he lost.

--

Sniff
    Nole the great lost.

Damn, Nole the Great getting more slams than Nads must have hurt you badly. Boohoo!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RaspingDrive@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 17 06:03:31 2023
    On Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 7:57:39 PM UTC-4, Court_1 wrote:
    Yes, ok I respect that.

--

It's one loss to a grass greenhorn! Consider it :)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RaspingDrive@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 17 06:05:33 2023
    On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 7:37:14 AM UTC-4, TT wrote:

It looked to me, based on this one match only, that Alkie's style fits superbly for grass... as he plays very creatively and you never know
    what he will do next. He played quite a few slices and was good at the
    net. Drop shots compliment his bazookas. He looked surprisingly finished product on grass. Movement was Nadal-like.

Of course there are some more grass tricks of the trade on returns etc
    which he can still improve on, probably game tactics as well. He plays
    free flowing tennis, not hitting according to plan but what he feels
    like at the moment. Not sure if that's good or bad in the long run but
    it sure is fun to watch when it works out.

Nice post.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TT@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 17 16:08:17 2023
    grif kirjoitti 17.7.2023 klo 15.57:
    On 17/07/2023 11:31, TT wrote:
    Wind.

Alcaraz was kinda paralyzed in set 1 so he lost it, but Djokovic
    served atrociously almost entire match but especially in first half
    of the match when wind was strong. It subsided latter in the match,
    in sets 4 and 5 in which both played well and were even, but the
    massive damage to Djokovic was done in sets 2 and 3 which he lost.

Wind fucked with his timing on shots, but serve especially. With
    normal serving he wins routinely?

Too bad for the annoying weather, as clearly the age gap was still
    not as big this year and Djokovic could have won on grass easily.

Hard and clay not really, that's already for Alcaraz to lose, but
    this one was kinda a freebie.

But hey, both kinda won matches they weren't supposed to win,
    Djokovic at FO and Alcaraz at Wimbledon.

In the end, I'd still take it the way it happened, triple CGS is
    more important than co-owning Wimbledon record at 8. There will be
    guys winning 8, 9, 10 and perhaps more so it's not really eternal
    to that extent.

And Djokovic surely won't ever be contender for FO, while he might
    get a chance at Wimbledon.

--

Can't agree. An eighth wimbledon would be worth far more to his
    legacy than a third french open. Yes, he will have another chance
    next year, but that could have been a chance for the standalone
    wimbledon crown had he won this one.

Sniff
    Nole the great lost.

Damn, Nole the Great getting more slams than Nads must have hurt you
    badly. Boohoo!

https://img.olympicchannel.com/images/image/private/t_1-1_1280/primary/xyqvdurpqgqb57yrcpun

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 17 23:42:17 2023
    On 17/07/2023 4:21 am, *skriptis wrote:

Wind.

I'd like to see him get to 25, that would be fitting and very satisfying
    for him to be on top of the slam mountain for men and women. But who
    knows how safe any of these numbers are with Alcaraz - he may end up
    with 30 slams himself in 15 yrs : )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 17 23:48:17 2023
    On 17/07/2023 4:43 am, *skriptis wrote:
    me <neilr76@googlemail.com> Wrote in message:

Yes, ok I respect that.

Yeah I really think Carlos can prob play part time, win a couple slams
    and 1,000's and be a safe no.1 for a long time to come. He's not going
    to win every match of course, but he's going to win big for a long time
    to come.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 17 23:52:49 2023
    On 17/07/2023 4:46 am, TT wrote:
    I'm just saying standalone triple CGS winner looks much safer than 8
    Wimbledon titles.

Sampras 7, Djoker 7, Fed 8 - doesn't seem so rare to get to this level
    for great players. Even Becker made 7 finals, Borg 6 in a row and quit
    at 25, Connors made 6 finals too. Carlos has only played 4 grass
    tournaments apparently and has now won Queens and Wimbledon in his last
    2. Grass may end up being his best surface who knows? The way he
    demolished quality players this week is an other sign he's going to be a
    tyrant in yrs to come - can we rule out 10 Wimbledons in a row before
    age 30?

: )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to RaspingDrive on Mon Jul 17 23:56:00 2023
    On 17/07/2023 4:56 am, RaspingDrive wrote:
    Yes, ok I respect that.

--

Djokovic will have to eke out slam titles here and there from hereon. I reckoned that with the 7-1/2 Saturn in full swing for him, he would have a hard time getting the 8th Wimbledon title. Indeed, I noted unambiguously in two threads >that Avatar
    Alcaraz would win it today. Needless to add, with the 7-1/2 S continuing to be active, it will get harder for Djokovic to get easy wins. As for Federer, how could he receive adverse news this year? No chance. I won't go into >the details, but let me say

Yeah I think Wimbledon may belong to Carlos for a long time to come.
    What are Novak's chances of getting to 25? I'd like to see that happen.
    Maybe he can win USO this yr and then a final AO?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TT@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 17 17:10:50 2023
    Whisper kirjoitti 17.7.2023 klo 16.52:
    Wimbledon titles.

for great players.  Even Becker made 7 finals, Borg 6 in a row and quit
    2.  Grass may end up being his best surface who knows?  The way he demolished quality players this week is an other sign he's going to be a tyrant in yrs to come - can we rule out 10 Wimbledons in a row before
    age 30?

Considering how new he was to grass, I reckon he'll be ending with Nadal
    at RG kinda numbers, maybe even a couple more. I predict he'll win 17
    Wimbledon titles. 3 Queens titles.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gapp111@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 17 07:21:50 2023
    On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 10:10:54 AM UTC-4, TT wrote:
    Whisper kirjoitti 17.7.2023 klo 16.52:
    Wimbledon titles.

at 25, Connors made 6 finals too. Carlos has only played 4 grass tournaments apparently and has now won Queens and Wimbledon in his last
    2. Grass may end up being his best surface who knows? The way he demolished quality players this week is an other sign he's going to be a tyrant in yrs to come - can we rule out 10 Wimbledons in a row before
    age 30?

Considering how new he was to grass, I reckon he'll be ending with Nadal
    at RG kinda numbers, maybe even a couple more. I predict he'll win 17 Wimbledon titles. 3 Queens titles.
    7 usopens, 7 aos, 0000 fopens, not a goat!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MBDunc@21:1/5 to Whisper on Mon Jul 17 07:28:55 2023
    On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 4:53:00 PM UTC+3, Whisper wrote:
    Wimbledon titles.

2. Grass may end up being his best surface who knows? The way he
    demolished quality players this week is an other sign he's going to be a tyrant in yrs to come - can we rule out 10 Wimbledons in a row before
    age 30?

Hewitt at age of 21y had Wimb and USO titles and #1....

Reaching 10 slam titles was an anomaly 20 years ago.

I repeat my own saying: Fed-Nadal-Djoker not only excelled via their consistent court showings but sustainability, every three of them were able to
    a) comeback from career-defining crushing losses (multiple career defining slam wins/losses between each of them) or
    b) be total teflon for off-court distractions (when someones like Borg/Mac/Wilander/Agassi/Becker/Connors/...even Laver with his 1970 racket deal thingie) subcumbed at some point...whether it was loss of motivation, family issues, luxury life or just ....
    too much for now...
    c) requirement .... to be there?

Especially b) and c) are remarkable, considering modern times vs days of old.

.mikko

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to TT@dprk.kp on Mon Jul 17 17:03:13 2023
    TT <TT@dprk.kp> Wrote in message:r
    grif kirjoitti 17.7.2023 klo 15.57:> On 17/07/2023 11:31, TT wrote:>> grif kirjoitti 16.7.2023 klo 23.41:>>> On 16/07/2023 19:30, me wrote:>>>> On Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 7:21:11 PM UTC+1, *skriptis wrote:>>>>> Wind.>>>>>>>>>> Alcaraz was kinda
    paralyzed in set 1 so he lost it, but Djokovic >>>>> served atrociously almost entire match but especially in first half >>>>> of the match when wind was strong. It subsided latter in the match, >>>>> in sets 4 and 5 in which both played well and were
    even, but the >>>>> massive damage to Djokovic was done in sets 2 and 3 which he lost.>>>>>>>>>> Wind fucked with his timing on shots, but serve especially. With >>>>> normal serving he wins routinely?>>>>>>>>>> Too bad for the annoying weather, as
    clearly the age gap was still >>>>> not as big this year and Djokovic could have won on grass easily.>>>>>>>>>> Hard and clay not really, that's already for Alcaraz to lose, but >>>>> this one was kinda a freebie.>>>>>>>>>> But hey, both kinda won
    matches they weren't supposed to win, >>>>> Djokovic at FO and Alcaraz at Wimbledon.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> In the end, I'd still take it the way it happened, triple CGS is >>>>> more important than co-owning Wimbledon record at 8. There will be >>>>> guys
    winning 8, 9, 10 and perhaps more so it's not really eternal >>>>> to that extent.>>>>>>>>>> And Djokovic surely won't ever be contender for FO, while he might >>>>> get a chance at Wimbledon.>>>>>>>>>> -- >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ----Android NewsGroup
    Reader---->>>>> https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html>>>>>>>> Can't agree. An eighth wimbledon would be worth far more to his >>>> legacy than a third french open. Yes, he will have another chance >>>> next year, but that could
    have been a chance for the standalone >>>> wimbledon crown had he won this one.>>>>>> Martina has the record in the open era anyway at nine.>>>> Sniff>> Nole the great lost.>>>> https://www.icegif.com/wp-content/uploads/crying-icegif-3.gif> > Damn, Nole
    the Great getting more slams than Nads must have hurt you > badly. Boohoo!https://img.olympicchannel.com/images/image/private/t_1-1_1280/primary/xyqvdurpqgqb57yrcpun

23 - Djokovic
    22 - Nadal
    20 - Federer

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Court_1@21:1/5 to MBDunc on Mon Jul 17 17:12:43 2023
    On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 12:46:50 AM UTC-4, MBDunc wrote:

Alcaraz and Wawrinka have one common factor: both are super great to blast a ball from a neutral dead weight ball.

True.

This was a high quality final but the wind - which clearly frustrated Djoker. But same for both and maybe Alcaraz played wind generally better?

Right, that's another point. Djokovic is notoriously a poor wind player. That had to have a bad effect on Djokovic. We've seen many matches where Djokovic lost due to the wind conditions.

Nice post-match speeches by Djoker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=867mtHTsaDo (on court) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qA4Y350fHI (press conf)

Thanks. I didn't see the speeches before.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Court_1@21:1/5 to RaspingDrive on Mon Jul 17 17:14:50 2023
    On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 9:03:33 AM UTC-4, RaspingDrive wrote:
    On Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 7:57:39 PM UTC-4, Court_1 wrote:
    Yes, ok I respect that.

--

It's one loss to a grass greenhorn! Consider it :)

I understand that and it's a good point. But I've also underestimated Djokovic too many times in the past 15 years. I'll believe he's finished when I actually see it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tuan@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 17 21:27:09 2023
    On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 10:12:45 AM UTC+10, Court_1 wrote:
    On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 12:46:50 AM UTC-4, MBDunc wrote:

True.
    Right, that's another point. Djokovic is notoriously a poor wind player. That had to have a bad effect on Djokovic. We've seen many matches where Djokovic lost due to the wind conditions.

Thanks. I didn't see the speeches before.

Did you see Alcaraz tease Joker with high floating balls towards the baseline and got several cheap points that way? The kid learns fast! :)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 18 20:43:43 2023
    On 17/07/2023 9:57 am, Court_1 wrote:

Nah, let's not get carried away just yet! These reactions are too premature IMO. It's one loss and it was a close call. I'd like to see Pipe humiliated over and over again by Alkie or somebody else but it's much too early to make that >call.

Yeah I think next 2 slams Novak will be equal fave, after that not sure
    will have to see - can start going downhill quick at his age.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to Gracchus on Tue Jul 18 20:55:13 2023
    On 17/07/2023 11:34 am, Gracchus wrote:

I'm not saying I think Alcaraz has crushed Djokovic's spirit, because that would be delusional. But it has to feel like a serious gut-punch. I don't think hyena-head will ever enter a match against Alacaraz with the same smugness going >forward. The
    kid earned some serious streed-cred today.

The kid is getting better all the time, and this win will make him even
    more confident next time v Novak. I watched the Sinner v Novak semi and
    was surprised (and disappointed) how Sinner had made no improvements in
    his game at all in a whole year. He played exactly the same way and
    didn't seem to have a strategy. Carlos is way ahead, getting better and hungrier all the time. He's an obvious goat level player.

We know Novak never chokes and is up for any challenge, so I hope they
    have a nice mini rivalry over the next 2 years.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 18 21:35:17 2023
    T24gMTgvMDcvMjAyMyAxOjAzIGFtLCAqc2tyaXB0aXMgd3JvdGU6DQo+IFRUIDxUVEBkcHJr LmtwPiBXcm90ZSBpbiBtZXNzYWdlOnINCj4+IGdyaWYga2lyam9pdHRpIDE3LjcuMjAyMyBr bG8gMTUuNTc6PiBPbiAxNy8wNy8yMDIzIDExOjMxLCBUVCB3cm90ZTo+PiBncmlmIGtpcmpv aXR0aSAxNi43LjIwMjMga2xvIDIzLjQxOj4+PiBPbiAxNi8wNy8yMDIzIDE5OjMwLCBtZSB3 cm90ZTo+Pj4+IE9uIFN1bmRheSwgSnVseSAxNiwgMjAyMyBhdCA3OjIxOjEx4oCvUE0gVVRD KzEsICpza3JpcHRpcyB3cm90ZTo+Pj4+PiBXaW5kLj4+Pj4+Pj4+Pj4gQWxjYXJheiB3YXMg a2luZGEgcGFyYWx5emVkIGluIHNldCAxIHNvIGhlIGxvc3QgaXQsIGJ1dCBEam9rb3ZpYyA+ Pj4+PiBzZXJ2ZWQgYXRyb2Npb3VzbHkgYWxtb3N0IGVudGlyZSBtYXRjaCBidXQgZXNwZWNp YWxseSBpbiBmaXJzdCBoYWxmID4+Pj4+IG9mIHRoZSBtYXRjaCB3aGVuIHdpbmQgd2FzIHN0 cm9uZy4gSXQgc3Vic2lkZWQgbGF0dGVyIGluIHRoZSBtYXRjaCwgPj4+Pj4gaW4gc2V0cyA0 IGFuZCA1IGluIHdoaWNoIGJvdGggcGxheWVkIHdlbGwgYW5kIHdlcmUgZXZlbiwgYnV0IHRo ZSA+Pj4+PiBtYXNzaXZlIGRhbWFnZSB0byBEam9rb3ZpYyB3YXMgZG9uZSBpbiBzZXRzIDIg YW5kIDMgd2hpY2ggaGUgbG9zdC4+Pj4+Pj4+Pj4+IFdpbmQgZnVja2VkIHdpdGggaGlzIHRp bWluZyBvbiBzaG90cywgYnV0IHNlcnZlIGVzcGVjaWFsbHkuIFdpdGggPj4+Pj4gbm9ybWFs IHNlcnZpbmcgaGUgd2lucyByb3V0aW5lbHk/Pj4+Pj4+Pj4+PiBUb28gYmFkIGZvciB0aGUg YW5ub3lpbmcgd2VhdGhlciwgYXMgY2xlYXJseSB0aGUgYWdlIGdhcCB3YXMgc3RpbGwgPj4+ Pj4gbm90IGFzIGJpZyB0aGlzIHllYXIgYW5kIERqb2tvdmljIGNvdWxkIGhhdmUgd29uIG9u IGdyYXNzIGVhc2lseS4+Pj4+Pj4+Pj4+IEhhcmQgYW5kIGNsYXkgbm90IHJlYWxseSwgdGhh dCdzIGFscmVhZHkgZm9yIEFsY2FyYXogdG8gbG9zZSwgYnV0ID4+Pj4+IHRoaXMgb25lIHdh cyBraW5kYSBhIGZyZWViaWUuPj4+Pj4+Pj4+PiBCdXQgaGV5LCBib3RoIGtpbmRhIHdvbiBt YXRjaGVzIHRoZXkgd2VyZW4ndCBzdXBwb3NlZCB0byB3aW4sID4+Pj4+IERqb2tvdmljIGF0 IEZPIGFuZCBBbGNhcmF6IGF0IFdpbWJsZWRvbi4+Pj4+Pj4+Pj4+Pj4+Pj4gSW4gdGhlIGVu ZCwgSSdkIHN0aWxsIHRha2UgaXQgdGhlIHdheSBpdCBoYXBwZW5lZCwgdHJpcGxlIENHUyBp cyA+Pj4+PiBtb3JlIGltcG9ydGFudCB0aGFuIGNvLW93bmluZyBXaW1ibGVkb24gcmVjb3Jk IGF0IDguIFRoZXJlIHdpbGwgYmUgPj4+Pj4gZ3V5cyB3aW5uaW5nIDgsIDksIDEwIGFuZCBw ZXJoYXBzIG1vcmUgc28gaXQncyBub3QgcmVhbGx5IGV0ZXJuYWwgPj4+Pj4gdG8gdGhhdCBl eHRlbnQuPj4+Pj4+Pj4+PiBBbmQgRGpva292aWMgc3VyZWx5IHdvbid0IGV2ZXIgYmUgY29u dGVuZGVyIGZvciBGTywgd2hpbGUgaGUgbWlnaHQgPj4+Pj4gZ2V0IGEgY2hhbmNlIGF0IFdp bWJsZWRvbi4+Pj4+Pj4+Pj4+IC0tID4+Pj4+Pj4+Pj4+Pj4+Pj4+Pj4+Pj4+Pj4gLS0tLUFu ZHJvaWQgTmV3c0dyb3VwIFJlYWRlci0tLS0+Pj4+PiBodHRwczovL3BpYW9ob25nLnMzLXVz LXdlc3QtMi5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL3VzZW5ldC9pbmRleC5odG1sPj4+Pj4+Pj4gQ2FuJ3Qg YWdyZWUuIEFuIGVpZ2h0aCB3aW1ibGVkb24gd291bGQgYmUgd29ydGggZmFyIG1vcmUgdG8g aGlzID4+Pj4gbGVnYWN5IHRoYW4gYSB0aGlyZCBmcmVuY2ggb3Blbi4gWWVzLCBoZSB3aWxs IGhhdmUgYW5vdGhlciBjaGFuY2UgPj4+PiBuZXh0IHllYXIsIGJ1dCB0aGF0IGNvdWxkIGhh dmUgYmVlbiBhIGNoYW5jZSBmb3IgdGhlIHN0YW5kYWxvbmUgPj4+PiB3aW1ibGVkb24gY3Jv d24gaGFkIGhlIHdvbiB0aGlzIG9uZS4+Pj4+Pj4gTWFydGluYSBoYXMgdGhlIHJlY29yZCBp biB0aGUgb3BlbiBlcmEgYW55d2F5IGF0IG5pbmUuPj4+PiBTbmlmZj4+IE5vbGUgdGhlIGdy ZWF0IGxvc3QuPj4+PiBodHRwczovL3d3dy5pY2VnaWYuY29tL3dwLWNvbnRlbnQvdXBsb2Fk cy9jcnlpbmctaWNlZ2lmLTMuZ2lmPiA+IERhbW4sIE5vbGUgdGhlIEdyZWF0IGdldHRpbmcg bW9yZSBzbGFtcyB0aGFuIE5hZHMgbXVzdCBoYXZlIGh1cnQgeW91ID4gYmFkbHkuIEJvb2hv byFodHRwczovL2ltZy5vbHltcGljY2hhbm5lbC5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2ltYWdlL3ByaXZhdGUv dF8xLTFfMTI4MC9wcmltYXJ5L3h5cXZkdXJwcWdxYjU3eXJjcHVuDQo+IA0KPiANCj4gDQo+ IDIzIC0gRGpva292aWMNCj4gMjIgLSBOYWRhbA0KPiAyMCAtIEZlZGVyZXINCj4gDQo+IA0K PiANCg0KDQpDYXJlZXIgc2xhbXMNCg0KMyBEam9rb3ZpYw0KMiBOYWRhbA0KMSBGZWRlcmVy DQoNClllcCwgY29ycmVjdCBvcmRlciBubyBtYXR0ZXIgaG93IHlvdSBzbGljZSBpdCA6ICkN
    Cg==

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RaspingDrive@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 18 06:58:52 2023
    On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 8:12:45 PM UTC-4, Court_1 wrote:

Fifth set 2nd game. Break point for Djoker (on 1-0 already in that set). He makes Alcaraz move from one side to the other. He almost has the game clinched...but Avatar Alcaraz, with a valiant attempt, gets a ball high to Djoks right side. The ball slowly
    descends as Djok positions to pocket the point by depositing it forcefully in Alcaraz's corner. Yet he fails because of the drift that the wind caused. Intrepid play by Alcaraz. Watch it when you have time. Amazing.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RaspingDrive@21:1/5 to Whisper on Tue Jul 18 06:51:55 2023
    On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 9:42:29 AM UTC-4, Whisper wrote:
    On 17/07/2023 4:21 am, *skriptis wrote:

Wind.

Alcaraz was kinda paralyzed in set 1 so he lost it, but Djokovic served atrociously almost entire match but especially in first half of the match when wind was strong. It subsided latter in the match, in sets 4 and 5 in which both played well and
    were even, but the massive damage to Djokovic was done in sets 2 and 3 which he lost.

I'd like to see him get to 25, that would be fitting and very satisfying
    for him to be on top of the slam mountain for men and women. But who
    knows how safe any of these numbers are with Alcaraz - he may end up
    with 30 slams himself in 15 yrs : )

15 years? That's a lot many years! I expect him to be at peak in two to three years time, with the years 2026 and 2027 being particularly significant (what else, his birth and life number years!). He could get a CYGS during that period. After that, it
    might well be decline, as his 7-1/2 S kicks in in about five years time, 2028 or thereabouts (assuming that the birth time of 3 am is indeed the correct one). It would be interesting to see how things play out. I have given my prediction this much in
    advance!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RaspingDrive@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 18 07:01:12 2023
    On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 8:14:52 PM UTC-4, Court_1 wrote:

I understand that and it's a good point. But I've also underestimated Djokovic too many times in the past 15 years. I'll believe he's finished when I actually see it.

Not a bad idea.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gapp111@gmail.com@21:1/5 to RaspingDrive on Tue Jul 18 07:03:17 2023
    On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 9:58:54 AM UTC-4, RaspingDrive wrote:
    On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 8:12:45 PM UTC-4, Court_1 wrote:

Fifth set 2nd game. Break point for Djoker (on 1-0 already in that set). He makes Alcaraz move from one side to the other. He almost has the game clinched...but Avatar Alcaraz, with a valiant attempt, gets a ball high to Djoks right side. The ball
    slowly descends as Djok positions to pocket the point by depositing it forcefully in Alcaraz's corner. Yet he fails because of the drift that the wind caused. Intrepid play by Alcaraz. Watch it when you have time. Amazing.

Yes, should have won the point and the match in three! Not at full speed, may be 80%?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to gap...@gmail.com on Tue Jul 18 16:53:16 2023
    "gap...@gmail.com" <gapp111@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 9:58:54 AM UTC-4, RaspingDrive wrote:> On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 8:12:45 PM UTC-4, Court_1 wrote: > > > Right, that's another point. Djokovic is notoriously a poor wind player. That had to have a bad effect on
    Djokovic. We've seen many matches where Djokovic lost due to the wind conditions.> Fifth set 2nd game. Break point for Djoker (on 1-0 already in that set). He makes Alcaraz move from one side to the other. He almost has the game clinched...but Avatar
    Alcaraz, with a valiant attempt, gets a ball high to Djoks right side. The ball slowly descends as Djok positions to pocket the point by depositing it forcefully in Alcaraz's corner. Yet he fails because of the drift that the wind caused. Intrepid play
    by Alcaraz. Watch it when you have time. Amazing.Yes, should have won the point and the match in three! Not at full speed, may be 80%?

"...Yet he fails because of the drift that the wind caused..."

It's very simple, he sucks in wind, relatively to other guys at least.

The other day he faced goat level oponent, very young and windy conditions, overall it's what made match even and of course in the end it went to Alcaraz's side.

He lost 2019 FO semi to Thiem, 7:5 in the fifth, very similar, although the wind was actually a hurricane back then.

Not that I compare Alcaraz to Thiem only establishing a pattern here.

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/tennis/french-open-2019-novak-djokovic-angry-as-his-hopes-are-gone-with-the-wind-5771408/

After his five-setter defeat to Austrian Dominic Thiem, World No. 1 Novak Djokovic expressed his frustrations about the weather conditions that befell the semi-final more than twice in two days.

Novak Djokovic said conditions during his French Open defeat by Dominic Thiem over Friday and Saturday were some of the worst he had played in after his hopes of a second Roland Garros title were blown out in a stormy semi-final.

World number one Djokovic had trailed 2-6 6-3 1-3 on Friday when rain interrupted the match and then play was abandoned for the day despite it being a largely dry, though windy, evening.

Swirling winds were still buffeting Court Philippe Chatrier when play resumed just past midday local time on Saturday and play was again interrupted for an hour before Thiem completed a dramatic 6-2 3-6 7-5 5-7 7-5 victory.

The Austrian will go forward to Sunday’s final against Rafael Nadal while Djokovic will head to the grasscourt season with his hopes of holding all four Grand Slam titles simultaneously, for the second time in his career, over.

Djokovic’s usually clinical game was thrown out of kilter by the conditions and the match included some bizarre points with the ball making wicked deviations in flight as the remnants of Storm Miguel made mischief.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RaspingDrive@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 18 08:58:18 2023
    On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 10:53:16 AM UTC-4, *skriptis wrote:
    "gap...@gmail.com" <gap...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 9:58:54 AM UTC-4, RaspingDrive wrote:> On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 8:12:45 PM UTC-4, Court_1 wrote: > > > Right, that's another point. Djokovic is notoriously a poor wind player. That had to have a bad effect on
    Djokovic. We've seen many matches where Djokovic lost due to the wind conditions.> Fifth set 2nd game. Break point for Djoker (on 1-0 already in that set). He makes Alcaraz move from one side to the other. He almost has the game clinched...but Avatar
    Alcaraz, with a valiant attempt, gets a ball high to Djoks right side. The ball slowly descends as Djok positions to pocket the point by depositing it forcefully in Alcaraz's corner. Yet he fails because of the drift that the wind caused. Intrepid play
    by Alcaraz. Watch it when you have time. Amazing.Yes, should have won the point and the match in three! Not at full speed, may be 80%?

What was he doing all these days, knowing his weakness fully well? :) He should have attempted to address that failing, may be, wait until the ball hits the ground and then go for a safer shot either to win the point or to prolong the rally. You may
    think it's all bogus, but, during the 7-1/2 S period, patience is never optional. Impatience caused him an 8th Wimbledon and a chance to compete for a CYGS. You may laugh at me but clearly 7-1/2 S, among other things of course, was associated with his
    poor showing.

The other day he faced goat level oponent, very young and windy conditions, overall it's what made match even and of course in the end it went to Alcaraz's side.

He lost 2019 FO semi to Thiem, 7:5 in the fifth, very similar, although the wind was actually a hurricane back then.

We must commend the extra yard that Alcaraz went to save that break point. A couple of delicate backhands that showed his class (and of course precocity; Mars exalted). And then that final backhand that landed marginally behind Djoker's right side
    discomfiting him ever so slightly. That was fearless play that created an opportunity and showed Avatar's never-say-die spirit. As for Djoker, impatience was his undoing. If he had been mindful of the drift, he could have allowed the ball to land and
    then created further opportunities through appropriate play. Finally, unlike perhaps Federer or Nadal, Alcaraz did not cave in and concede the break easily. It would be interesting how this match up shapes up.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to RaspingDrive on Tue Jul 18 09:42:29 2023
    On 7/18/23 7:01 AM, RaspingDrive wrote:
    On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 8:14:52 PM UTC-4, Court_1 wrote:

Not a bad idea.

He's not finished, but I don't expect to see him as #1 again.

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "...and your little dog, too!"
    --Sawfish

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 18 09:37:13 2023
    On 7/18/23 7:53 AM, *skriptis wrote:
    "gap...@gmail.com" <gapp111@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/tennis/french-open-2019-novak-djokovic-angry-as-his-hopes-are-gone-with-the-wind-5771408/

After his five-setter defeat to Austrian Dominic Thiem, World No. 1 Novak Djokovic expressed his frustrations about the weather conditions that befell the semi-final more than twice in two days.

Novak Djokovic said conditions during his French Open defeat by Dominic Thiem over Friday and Saturday were some of the worst he had played in after his hopes of a second Roland Garros title were blown out in a stormy semi-final.

World number one Djokovic had trailed 2-6 6-3 1-3 on Friday when rain interrupted the match and then play was abandoned for the day despite it being a largely dry, though windy, evening.

Swirling winds were still buffeting Court Philippe Chatrier when play resumed just past midday local time on Saturday and play was again interrupted for an hour before Thiem completed a dramatic 6-2 3-6 7-5 5-7 7-5 victory.

The Austrian will go forward to Sunday’s final against Rafael Nadal while Djokovic will head to the grasscourt season with his hopes of holding all four Grand Slam titles simultaneously, for the second time in his career, over.

Djokovic’s usually clinical game was thrown out of kilter by the conditions and the match included some bizarre points with the ball making wicked deviations in flight as the remnants of Storm Miguel made mischief.
    It looks like Djok needs to work on his "wind game".

--
    --Sawfish

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to Whisper on Tue Jul 18 09:41:27 2023
    On 7/18/23 3:55 AM, Whisper wrote:
    On 17/07/2023 11:34 am, Gracchus wrote:

Djokovic will have to eke out slam titles here and there from
    hereon. I reckoned that with the 7-1/2 Saturn in full swing for
    him, he would have a hard time getting the 8th Wimbledon title.
    Indeed, I noted unambiguously in two threads that Avatar Alcaraz
    would win it today. Needless to add, with the 7-1/2 S continuing to
    be active, it will get harder for Djokovic to get easy wins. As for
    Federer, how could he receive adverse news this year? No chance. I
    won't go into the details, but let me say that he will remain the
    Wimbledon King until Alcaraz possibly overhauls it. As already
    noted, next year also it will be tough for Djokovic. I just feel
    that he will remain at 7.

Nah, let's not get carried away just yet! These reactions are too
    premature IMO. It's one loss and it was a close call. I'd like to
    see Pipe humiliated over and over again by Alkie or somebody else
    but it's much too early to make that call.

Agree about it being too early to make wild predictions. But as you
    said, you didn't see much of the match and the way it unfolded.
    Remember, this was Djokovic on HIS court against Alcaraz, who hasn't
    even mastered grass court play yet. Djokovic looked sure he'd run
    away with the match when he had the first set in the bag and he was
    pulling his jackass antics with the crowd. Then, Alcaraz got
    progressively stronger and more confident, keeping Djoke frustrated
    and overreaching. He stymied him in the second set tiebreak, which
    just *isn't done.* And never let him fully regain his balance up
    until the end.

I'm not saying I think Alcaraz has crushed Djokovic's spirit, because
    that would be delusional. But it has to feel like a serious
    gut-punch. I don't think hyena-head will ever enter a match against
    Alacaraz with the same smugness going >forward. The kid earned some
    serious streed-cred today.

The kid is getting better all the time, and this win will make him
    even more confident next time v Novak.  I watched the Sinner v Novak
    semi and was surprised (and disappointed) how Sinner had made no
    improvements in his game at all in a whole year.  He played exactly
    the same way and didn't seem to have a strategy. Carlos is way ahead,
    getting better and hungrier all the time. He's an obvious goat level
    player.

We know Novak never chokes and is up for any challenge, so I hope they
    have a nice mini rivalry over the next 2 years.

You know, though...

Djok *did* have a mental lapse after the missed put-away in the fifth.
    He screwed his own serve, whacked the net standard, and then completely
    pissed away the subsequent return game vs Alcaraz's serve.

You cannot give away anything to Alcaraz. He gives you very, very little
    in return.

--
    --Sawfish

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From undecided@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 18 11:43:52 2023
    On Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 2:21:11 PM UTC-4, *skriptis wrote:
    Wind.

--

I thought Djoker serve bailed him out quite a bit. So, different perspective I guess. If you expected him to serve Isner/Medvedev style no he did not. But, the serve came through when he was down in games.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to undecided on Tue Jul 18 20:58:46 2023
    undecided <costasz@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    On Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 2:21:11 PM UTC-4, *skriptis wrote:> Wind. > > Alcaraz was kinda paralyzed in set 1 so he lost it, but Djokovic served atrociously almost entire match but especially in first half of the match when wind was strong. It
    subsided latter in the match, in sets 4 and 5 in which both played well and were even, but the massive damage to Djokovic was done in sets 2 and 3 which he lost. > > Wind fucked with his timing on shots, but serve especially. With normal serving he wins
    routinely? > > Too bad for the annoying weather, as clearly the age gap was still not as big this year and Djokovic could have won on grass easily. > > Hard and clay not really, that's already for Alcaraz to lose, but this one was kinda a freebie. > >
    But hey, both kinda won matches they weren't supposed to win, Djokovic at FO and Alcaraz at Wimbledon. > > > In the end, I'd still take it the way it happened, triple CGS is more important than co-owning Wimbledon record at 8. There will be guys winning
    8, 9, 10 and perhaps more so it's not really eternal to that extent. > > And Djokovic surely won't ever be contender for FO, while he might get a chance at Wimbledon. > > -- > > > > > ----Android NewsGroup Reader---- > https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.
    amazonaws.com/usenet/index.htmlI thought Djoker serve bailed him out quite a bit. So, different perspective I guess. If you expected him to serve Isner/Medvedev style no he did not. But, the serve came through when he was down in games.

Couple of grueling games it felt as if his 1st serve percentage was 20%?

That's what I meant. It could have been higher, better, at least in those patches.

I checked overall serve stats and they seem okayish?

So you're right overall, just as you pointed out to whekdr, he's not predicted on making winner and neither is on unreturbarble serves.

He bailed himself quite a few times, but again back to my point it feels those were mostly 2nd serves.

But yeah, perspective.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 18 12:39:14 2023
    T24gNy8xOC8yMyAxMTo1OCBBTSwgKnNrcmlwdGlzIHdyb3RlOg0KPiB1bmRlY2lkZWQgPGNv c3Rhc3pAZ21haWwuY29tPiBXcm90ZSBpbiBtZXNzYWdlOnINCj4+IE9uIFN1bmRheSwgSnVs eSAxNiwgMjAyMyBhdCAyOjIxOjEx4oCvUE0gVVRDLTQsICpza3JpcHRpcyB3cm90ZTo+IFdp bmQuID4gPiBBbGNhcmF6IHdhcyBraW5kYSBwYXJhbHl6ZWQgaW4gc2V0IDEgc28gaGUgbG9z dCBpdCwgYnV0IERqb2tvdmljIHNlcnZlZCBhdHJvY2lvdXNseSBhbG1vc3QgZW50aXJlIG1h dGNoIGJ1dCBlc3BlY2lhbGx5IGluIGZpcnN0IGhhbGYgb2YgdGhlIG1hdGNoIHdoZW4gd2lu ZCB3YXMgc3Ryb25nLiBJdCBzdWJzaWRlZCBsYXR0ZXIgaW4gdGhlIG1hdGNoLCBpbiBzZXRz IDQgYW5kIDUgaW4gd2hpY2ggYm90aCBwbGF5ZWQgd2VsbCBhbmQgd2VyZSBldmVuLCBidXQg dGhlIG1hc3NpdmUgZGFtYWdlIHRvIERqb2tvdmljIHdhcyBkb25lIGluIHNldHMgMiBhbmQg MyB3aGljaCBoZSBsb3N0LiA+ID4gV2luZCBmdWNrZWQgd2l0aCBoaXMgdGltaW5nIG9uIHNo b3RzLCBidXQgc2VydmUgZXNwZWNpYWxseS4gV2l0aCBub3JtYWwgc2VydmluZyBoZSB3aW5z IHJvdXRpbmVseT8gPiA+IFRvbyBiYWQgZm9yIHRoZSBhbm5veWluZyB3ZWF0aGVyLCBhcyBj bGVhcmx5IHRoZSBhZ2UgZ2FwIHdhcyBzdGlsbCBub3QgYXMgYmlnIHRoaXMgeWVhciBhbmQg RGpva292aWMgY291bGQgaGF2ZSB3b24gb24gZ3Jhc3MgZWFzaWx5LiA+ID4gSGFyZCBhbmQg Y2xheSBub3QgcmVhbGx5LCB0aGF0J3MgYWxyZWFkeSBmb3IgQWxjYXJheiB0byBsb3NlLCBi dXQgdGhpcyBvbmUgd2FzIGtpbmRhIGEgZnJlZWJpZS4gPiA+IEJ1dCBoZXksIGJvdGgga2lu ZGEgd29uIG1hdGNoZXMgdGhleSB3ZXJlbid0IHN1cHBvc2VkIHRvIHdpbiwgRGpva292aWMg YXQgRk8gYW5kIEFsY2FyYXogYXQgV2ltYmxlZG9uLiA+ID4gPiBJbiB0aGUgZW5kLCBJJ2Qg c3RpbGwgdGFrZSBpdCB0aGUgd2F5IGl0IGhhcHBlbmVkLCB0cmlwbGUgQ0dTIGlzIG1vcmUg aW1wb3J0YW50IHRoYW4gY28tb3duaW5nIFdpbWJsZWRvbiByZWNvcmQgYXQgOC4gVGhlcmUg d2lsbCBiZSBndXlzIHdpbm5pbmcgOCwgOSwgMTAgYW5kIHBlcmhhcHMgbW9yZSBzbyBpdCdz IG5vdCByZWFsbHkgZXRlcm5hbCB0byB0aGF0IGV4dGVudC4gPiA+IEFuZCBEam9rb3ZpYyBz dXJlbHkgd29uJ3QgZXZlciBiZSBjb250ZW5kZXIgZm9yIEZPLCB3aGlsZSBoZSBtaWdodCBn ZXQgYSBjaGFuY2UgYXQgV2ltYmxlZG9uLiA+ID4gLS0gPiA+ID4gPiA+IC0tLS1BbmRyb2lk IE5ld3NHcm91cCBSZWFkZXItLS0tID4gaHR0cHM6Ly9waWFvaG9uZy5zMy11cy13ZXN0LTIu YW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS91c2VuZXQvaW5kZXguaHRtbEkgdGhvdWdodCBEam9rZXIgc2VydmUg YmFpbGVkIGhpbSBvdXQgcXVpdGUgYSBiaXQuIFNvLCBkaWZmZXJlbnQgcGVyc3BlY3RpdmUg SSBndWVzcy4gSWYgeW91IGV4cGVjdGVkIGhpbSB0byBzZXJ2ZSBJc25lci9NZWR2ZWRldiBz dHlsZSBubyBoZSBkaWQgbm90LiBCdXQsIHRoZSBzZXJ2ZSBjYW1lIHRocm91Z2ggd2hlbiBo ZSB3YXMgZG93biBpbiBnYW1lcy4NCj4NCj4gQ291cGxlIG9mIGdydWVsaW5nIGdhbWVzIGl0 IGZlbHQgYXMgaWYgaGlzIDFzdCBzZXJ2ZSBwZXJjZW50YWdlIHdhcyAyMCU/DQo+DQo+IFRo YXQncyB3aGF0IEkgbWVhbnQuIEl0IGNvdWxkIGhhdmUgYmVlbiBoaWdoZXIsIGJldHRlciwg YXQgbGVhc3QgaW4gdGhvc2UgcGF0Y2hlcy4NCj4NCj4gSSBjaGVja2VkIG92ZXJhbGwgc2Vy dmUgc3RhdHMgYW5kIHRoZXkgc2VlbSBva2F5aXNoPw0KPg0KPiBTbyB5b3UncmUgcmlnaHQg b3ZlcmFsbCwganVzdCBhcyB5b3UgcG9pbnRlZCBvdXQgdG8gd2hla2RyLCBoZSdzIG5vdCBw cmVkaWN0ZWQgb24gbWFraW5nIHdpbm5lciBhbmQgbmVpdGhlciBpcyBvbiB1bnJldHVyYmFy YmxlIHNlcnZlcy4NCj4NCj4gSGUgYmFpbGVkIGhpbXNlbGYgcXVpdGUgYSBmZXcgdGltZXMs IGJ1dCBhZ2FpbiBiYWNrIHRvIG15IHBvaW50IGl0IGZlZWxzIHRob3NlIHdlcmUgbW9zdGx5 IDJuZCBzZXJ2ZXMuDQo+DQo+IEJ1dCB5ZWFoLCBwZXJzcGVjdGl2ZS4NCj4NCj4NCkhlIGh1 bmcgdG91Z2ggd2hlbiBoZSBuZWVkZWQgdG8sIGFuZCB0aGF0J3MgcHJldHR5IG11Y2ggaGlz IHRyYWRlbWFyay4NCg0KSSB0aGluayB0aGUgKnJlYXNvbiogaGUgbG9zdCBjb25jZW50cmF0 aW9uIHJpZ2h0IGFmdGVyIHRoZSBtaXNzZWQgDQpwdXQtYXdheSBpcyB0aGF0IGhlLCBiZXR0 ZXIgdGhhbiBhbnlvbmUgZWxzZSwgKmtuZXcqIGp1c3QgaG93IGRhbW5lZCANCmdvb2QgQWxj YXJheiBpcywgYW5kIHRoYXQgaGUgY291bGQgbm90IGFmZm9yZCAqYW55KiBtaXN0YWtlcyBh Z2FpbnN0IGhpbS4NCg0KQW5kIGV2ZW4gc28gaGUgcmVpZ25lZCBpdCBpbiBhbmQgbWFkZSBp dCBwcmV0dHkgY2xvc2UuDQoNCkJ1dCB5ZWFoLCBJIHRoaW5rIHRoYXQgbWlzcyByZWFsbHkg cmF0dGxlZCBoaW0gZm9yIGEgd2hpbGUuDQoNCi0tIA0Kfn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+ fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+ DQoiVG8gdGhlIGF2ZXJhZ2UgQW1lcmljYW4gb3IgRW5nbGlzaG1hbiB0aGUgdmVyeSBuYW1l IG9mIGFuYXJjaHkgY2F1c2VzIGEgc2h1ZGRlciwgYmVjYXVzZSBpdCBpbnZhcmlhYmx5IGNv bmp1cmVzIHVwIGEgcGljdHVyZSBvZiBhIGxhbmQgdGVycm9yaXplZCBieSBsb3ctYnJvd2Vk IGFzc2Fzc2lucyB3aXRoIG1hdHRlZCBiZWFyZHMsIGNhcnJ5aW5nIGJvbWJzIGluIG9uZSBo YW5kIGFuZCBtdWdzIG9mIGJlZXIgaW4gdGhlIG90aGVyLiBCdXQgYXMgYSBtYXR0ZXIgb2Yg ZmFjdCwgdGhlcmUgaXMgbm8gcmVhc29uIHdoYXRldmVyIHRvIGJlbGlldmUgdGhhdCwgaWYg YWxsIGxhd3Mgd2VyZSBhYm9saXNoZWQgdG9tb3Jyb3csIHN1Y2ggc3dpbmUgd291bGQgc3Vy dml2ZSB0aGUgZGF5LiINCg0KLS1ILiBMLiBNZW5ja2VuDQp+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+ fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+ fn4NCg0K

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gapp111@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Tue Jul 18 12:46:34 2023
    On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 3:39:18 PM UTC-4, Sawfish wrote:
    On 7/18/23 11:58 AM, *skriptis wrote:
    undecided <cos...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    On Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 2:21:11 PM UTC-4, *skriptis wrote:> Wind. > > Alcaraz was kinda paralyzed in set 1 so he lost it, but Djokovic served atrociously almost entire match but especially in first half of the match when wind was strong. It
    subsided latter in the match, in sets 4 and 5 in which both played well and were even, but the massive damage to Djokovic was done in sets 2 and 3 which he lost. > > Wind fucked with his timing on shots, but serve especially. With normal serving he wins
    routinely? > > Too bad for the annoying weather, as clearly the age gap was still not as big this year and Djokovic could have won on grass easily. > > Hard and clay not really, that's already for Alcaraz to lose, but this one was kinda a freebie. > >
    But hey, both kinda won matches they weren't supposed to win, Djokovic at FO and Alcaraz at Wimbledon. > > > In the end, I'd still take it the way it happened, triple CGS is more important than co-owning Wimbledon record at 8. There will be guys winning
    8, 9, 10 and perhaps more so it's not really eternal to that extent. > > And Djokovic surely won't ever be contender for FO, while he might get a chance at Wimbledon. > > -- > > > > > ----Android NewsGroup Reader---- > https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.
    amazonaws.com/usenet/index.htmlI thought Djoker serve bailed him out quite a bit. So, different perspective I guess. If you expected him to serve Isner/Medvedev style no he did not. But, the serve came through when he was down in games.

Couple of grueling games it felt as if his 1st serve percentage was 20%?

That's what I meant. It could have been higher, better, at least in those patches.

I checked overall serve stats and they seem okayish?

So you're right overall, just as you pointed out to whekdr, he's not predicted on making winner and neither is on unreturbarble serves.

He bailed himself quite a few times, but again back to my point it feels those were mostly 2nd serves.

But yeah, perspective.

He hung tough when he needed to, and that's pretty much his trademark.

I think the *reason* he lost concentration right after the missed
    put-away is that he, better than anyone else, *knew* just how damned
    good Alcaraz is, and that he could not afford *any* mistakes against him.

And even so he reigned it in and made it pretty close.

But yeah, I think that miss really rattled him for a while.

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "To the average American or Englishman the very name of anarchy causes a shudder, because it invariably conjures up a picture of a land terrorized by low-browed assassins with matted beards, carrying bombs in one hand and mugs of beer in the other. But
    as a matter of fact, there is no reason whatever to believe that, if all laws were abolished tomorrow, such swine would survive the day."

--H. L. Mencken ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wow, mind reader!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05