• Finally a real good youngster

From PeteWasLucky@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 16 21:05:53 2023
    It was due like 7-8 years ago.
    --

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?Pelle_Svansl=c3=b6s?=@21:1/5 to PeteWasLucky on Sun Jul 16 21:17:42 2023
    On 16.7.2023 21.05, PeteWasLucky wrote:

He was real, real good before the match. He didn't turn into a good
    player with the win. These wins are bound to go his way by the
    boatloads. That's how good he has been all the while.

You may now hop onto the wagon and be a good fanboi.

--
    "And off they went, from here to there,
    The bear, the bear, and the maiden fair"
    -- Traditional

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From PeteWasLucky@21:1/5 to pelle@svans.los on Sun Jul 16 21:34:55 2023
    Pelle Svanslös <pelle@svans.los> Wrote in message:r
    On 16.7.2023 21.05, PeteWasLucky wrote:> It was due like 7-8 years ago.He was real, real good before the match. He didn't turn into a good player with the win. These wins are bound to go his way by the boatloads. That's how good he has been all the
    while.You may now hop onto the wagon and be a good fanboi.-- "And off they went, from here to there,The bear, the bear, and the maiden fair"-- Traditional

Technicality and physicality, I never said he wasn't good, I wanted to believe he got the will and the mental strength of champions and he showed today he got it.

I didn't watch the match, but I believed that it was tough to forget what happened in the FO and beat Djokovic playing him for the first time on grass. I believe being very good and younger gave him the win today. Hopefully he stays injury free.
    --

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to PeteWasLucky on Sun Jul 16 13:00:37 2023
    On 7/16/23 11:34 AM, PeteWasLucky wrote:
    On 16.7.2023 21.05, PeteWasLucky wrote:> It was due like 7-8 years ago.He was real, real good before the match. He didn't turn into a good player with the win. These wins are bound to go his way by the boatloads. That's how good he has been all the
    while.You may now hop onto the wagon and be a good fanboi.-- "And off they went, from here to there,The bear, the bear, and the maiden fair"-- Traditional
    Technicality and physicality, I never said he wasn't good, I wanted to believe he got the will and the mental strength of champions and he showed today he got it.

I didn't watch the match, but I believed that it was tough to forget what happened in the FO and beat Djokovic playing him for the first time on grass. I believe being very good and younger gave him the win today. Hopefully he stays injury free.

He is going to be very tough for anyone to beat in the foreseeable
    future. Barring injury to Alcaraz,  the FO was probably Djok's last slam.

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "If we use Occam's Razor, whose razor will *he* use?" --Sawfish ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to PeteWasLucky on Sun Jul 16 22:31:29 2023
    PeteWasLucky <waleed.khedr@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    Barring injury to Alcaraz, the FO was probably Djok's last slam.Probably true.----Android NewsGroup Reader----https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

I had a dream he's going to end up with 25, with Olympics counted as majors but doesn't say he wins it or not. Couple of years ago.

So it could be AO + Olympics or some other 2 slams.

It felt a lot back then then when I dreamed it, it felt almost certain and kinda too little at some point when hype around him was at its maximum, but today it feels about right.

Two more. Let's see if I dream well.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From No Buyout@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 16 13:58:03 2023
    Sadly though Djokovic is the GOAT, he had to split all the titles in his career with TWO other almost-GOATs. So he may not even surpass Margaret Court.

But with no other rivals, Alcaraz could win multiple Calendar Slams, and may even surpass Djokovic in total Slams in only 7-8 more years.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From PeteWasLucky@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 16 23:24:49 2023
    Barring injury to Alcaraz, the FO was probably Djok's last slam.

Probably true.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Court_1@21:1/5 to No Buyout on Sun Jul 16 17:13:02 2023
    On Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 4:58:05 PM UTC-4, No Buyout wrote:

But with no other rivals, Alcaraz could win multiple Calendar Slams, and may even surpass Djokovic in total Slams in only 7-8 more years.

Oh, stop it! Jesus Christ! We all do it, i.e. overreact after the result of one match. But having Alcaraz winning multiple Calendar Slams after one close win in a slam vs the obsessive fitness nut, Djokovic is a stretch.

I don't think any of these current younger guys including Alcaraz will win 20+ slams. We were spoiled by three GOATS playing in one era. Those three GOATS and what they achieved are the exception and not the norm moving forward IMO.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to PeteWasLucky on Mon Jul 17 23:45:40 2023
    On 17/07/2023 4:34 am, PeteWasLucky wrote:

I didn't watch the match, but I believed that it was tough to forget what happened in the FO and beat Djokovic playing him for the first time on grass. I believe being very good and younger gave him the win today. Hopefully he stays >injury free.

Come off it man he's not just very good, he's got the goat aura going
    on. Watch and pay attention some time, Fed isn't the only guy who can
    play very well : )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Iceberg@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Mon Jul 17 06:58:34 2023
    On Sunday, 16 July 2023 at 21:00:41 UTC+1, Sawfish wrote:
    Pelle Svanslös <pe...@svans.los> Wrote in message:r

future. Barring injury to Alcaraz, the FO was probably Djok's last slam.

you seem to have forgotten that Zverev absolutely whooped him at FO last year. Asked elsewhere why does anyone think he's good on clay? seems to me that despite being Spanish, he's so different that clay is actually Alcaraz's worst surface.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 17 23:39:10 2023
    On 17/07/2023 4:17 am, Pelle Svanslös wrote:
    On 16.7.2023 21.05, PeteWasLucky wrote:

He was real, real good before the match. He didn't turn into a good
    player with the win. These wins are bound to go his way by the
    boatloads. That's how good he has been all the while.

You may now hop onto the wagon and be a good fanboi.

Yeah, he won USO, skipped AO, imo woulda won FO if not for cramps, and
    now wins Wimbledon. He's getting better very quickly and will take
    something special to beat him in any slam imo, much like Novak.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gapp111@gmail.com@21:1/5 to The Iceberg on Mon Jul 17 07:06:37 2023
    On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 9:58:36 AM UTC-4, The Iceberg wrote:
    On 16.7.2023 21.05, PeteWasLucky wrote:> It was due like 7-8 years ago.He was real, real good before the match. He didn't turn into a good player with the win. These wins are bound to go his way by the boatloads. That's how good he has been all
    the while.You may now hop onto the wagon and be a good fanboi.-- "And off they went, from here to there,The bear, the bear, and the maiden fair"-- Traditional

you seem to have forgotten that Zverev absolutely whooped him at FO last year. Asked elsewhere why does anyone think he's good on clay? seems to me that despite being Spanish, he's so different that clay is actually Alcaraz's worst surface.

Yes, may never win FO, like $pete and just as ugly!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Tue Jul 18 00:05:15 2023
    On 17/07/2023 6:00 am, Sawfish wrote:
    On 16.7.2023 21.05, PeteWasLucky wrote:> It was due like 7-8 years
    ago.He was real, real good before the match. He didn't turn into a
    good player with the win. These wins are bound to go his way by the
    boatloads. That's how good he has been all the while.You may now hop
    onto the wagon and be a good fanboi.-- "And off they went, from here
    to there,The bear, the bear, and the maiden fair"-- Traditional
    Technicality and physicality, I never said he wasn't good, I wanted to
    believe he got the will and the mental strength of champions and he
    showed today he got it.

I didn't watch the match, but I believed that it was tough to forget
    what happened in the FO and beat Djokovic playing him for the first
    time on grass. I believe being very good and younger gave him the win
    today. Hopefully he stays injury free.

future. Barring injury to Alcaraz,  the FO was probably Djok's last slam.

Mainly due to age I think, but he'll prob still be fave to beat the rest
    of the field at next 2 slams at least so has to have good chance overall
    to add 1 or 2 more slams, but not much time left. Will be interesting
    to see how Nadal goes in his last FO next yr, winning it would be insane
    though not likely if Carlos is healthy.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to The Iceberg on Mon Jul 17 08:24:14 2023
    On 7/17/23 6:58 AM, The Iceberg wrote:

So far there's reason to think this is true.

Anyone who immediately thinks "Spaniard = clay court expert" and then confidently says this publicly without waiting to see if this is true is
    a pretty dumb fucker, that's for sure.

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "The difference between a democracy and a dictatorship is that in a democracy you vote first and take orders later; in a dictatorship you don’t have to waste your time voting."

--Charles Bukowski ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to MBDunc on Mon Jul 17 08:42:52 2023
    On 7/17/23 8:35 AM, MBDunc wrote:
    On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 6:24:17 PM UTC+3, Sawfish wrote:
    Anyone who immediately thinks "Spaniard = clay court expert" and then
    confidently says this publicly without waiting to see if this is true is
    Spaniard = clay court expert is practically based on Bruguera-Courier FO final 1994 outcome.

Similarly = clown era about 20y ago is based on single Fed-Roddick Wimb 2004 final match.

Had they been reversed (they were close calls, especially FO 1994 case).

But then you can read personal biases off from real analysis.

.m.ikko

I don't have any trouble spotting personal biases. What puzzles the heck
    out of me is *why* people want to make their personal biases so public
    when they have no reason to do so.

Hubris?

--
    --Sawfish ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Wha's yo name, fool?" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MBDunc@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Mon Jul 17 08:35:03 2023
    Anyone who immediately thinks "Spaniard = clay court expert" and then confidently says this publicly without waiting to see if this is true is

Spaniard = clay court expert is practically based on Bruguera-Courier FO final 1994 outcome.

Similarly = clown era about 20y ago is based on single Fed-Roddick Wimb 2004 final match.

.m.ikko

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MBDunc@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Mon Jul 17 09:11:32 2023
    On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 6:42:56 PM UTC+3, Sawfish wrote:
    confidently says this publicly without waiting to see if this is true is >> a pretty dumb fucker, that's for sure.

.m.ikko

I don't have any trouble spotting personal biases. What puzzles the heck
    out of me is *why* people want to make their personal biases so public
    when they have no reason to do so.

As like me, or you, or anyone else. Just want to say something just for sake of saying and create sayings from a top of head. Very present in any "political issues" stuff.

Normal stuff. Nothing to worry about.

mikko

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gapp111@gmail.com@21:1/5 to MBDunc on Mon Jul 17 09:19:41 2023
    On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 12:11:34 PM UTC-4, MBDunc wrote:
    On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 6:42:56 PM UTC+3, Sawfish wrote:
    Anyone who immediately thinks "Spaniard = clay court expert" and then >> confidently says this publicly without waiting to see if this is true is

.m.ikko

I don't have any trouble spotting personal biases. What puzzles the heck out of me is *why* people want to make their personal biases so public when they have no reason to do so.

As like me, or you, or anyone else. Just want to say something just for sake of saying and create sayings from a top of head. Very present in any "political issues" stuff.

Normal stuff. Nothing to worry about.

mikko

Well said!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rich D@21:1/5 to PeteWasLucky on Mon Jul 17 13:14:54 2023
    On July 16, PeteWasLucky wrote:

yep, we've been waiting for a kid like this - https://www.pinterest.com/pin/246290673342240162/

oh wait -
    https://image-cdn.essentiallysports.com/wp-content/uploads/jpg-6.jpeg

Has anyone ever seen them in the same room, at the same time? https://www.pinterest.com/pin/377809856214499187/

--
    Rich

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Court_1@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Mon Jul 17 16:45:03 2023
    On Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 4:00:41 PM UTC-4, Sawfish wrote:

I'll take that bet! It's not Djokovic's last slam! My gosh! I'd be shocked if that was Djokovic's last slam. The overreactions are hilarious to me.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Court_1@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Mon Jul 17 17:19:04 2023
    On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 8:16:39 PM UTC-4, Sawfish wrote:
    On 7/17/23 4:45 PM, Court_1 wrote:

I'll take that bet! It's not Djokovic's last slam!
    I think you certainly could be right.

But it's hard to see him beating Alcaraz in a final ever again.

Really? I doubt it. I've seen so many Djokovic reincarnations that I'm skeptical that Alcaraz has put the stake in Djokovic's heart.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 17 17:16:35 2023

My gosh! I'd be shocked if that was Djokovic's last slam. The overreactions are hilarious to me.

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Those whom the gods wish to destroy, they first make Woke."

--Sawfish ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 17 17:29:09 2023
    On 7/17/23 5:19 PM, Court_1 wrote:
    future. Barring injury to Alcaraz, the FO was probably Djok's last slam. >>> I'll take that bet! It's not Djokovic's last slam!

Really? I doubt it. I've seen so many Djokovic reincarnations that I'm skeptical that Alcaraz has put the stake in Djokovic's heart.

He IS that good.

I think Djok should never be considered the favorite  vs Alcaraz in any
    match on  any surface. 5 years ago, I would not say that.

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Reality is that thing that does not go away when you stop believing in it."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Court_1@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Mon Jul 17 20:02:38 2023
    On Monday, July 17, 2023 at 8:29:12 PM UTC-4, Sawfish wrote:

He IS that good.

I think Djok should never be considered the favorite vs Alcaraz in any match on any surface. 5 years ago, I would not say that.

Ok, we'll find out soon. I hope you're right. My feeling right now is that they will split wins.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 17 20:32:57 2023
    On 7/17/23 8:02 PM, Court_1 wrote:
    He is going to be very tough for anyone to beat in the foreseeable >>>>>> future. Barring injury to Alcaraz, the FO was probably Djok's last slam. >>>>> I'll take that bet! It's not Djokovic's last slam!

He IS that good.

I think Djok should never be considered the favorite vs Alcaraz in any
    match on any surface. 5 years ago, I would not say that.
    Ok, we'll find out soon. I hope you're right. My feeling right now is that they will split wins.

Fair enough.

That's why we watch!

--
    "Would someone please tell me what 'diddy-wah-diddy' means?" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tuan@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 17 21:18:28 2023
    On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 1:02:40 PM UTC+10, Court_1 wrote:
    He is going to be very tough for anyone to beat in the foreseeable >>>> future. Barring injury to Alcaraz, the FO was probably Djok's last slam.

He IS that good.

I think Djok should never be considered the favorite vs Alcaraz in any match on any surface. 5 years ago, I would not say that.

Their h2h at present is 2-1 to Alcaraz. And the only loss was at RG where he untypically cramped up due to the pressure of facing Joker for the first time in a slam. That's unlikely to happen again!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 18 20:26:51 2023
    On 17/07/2023 6:31 am, *skriptis wrote:
    Barring injury to Alcaraz, the FO was probably Djok's last slam.Probably true.----Android NewsGroup Reader----https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

I had a dream he's going to end up with 25, with Olympics counted as majors but doesn't say he wins it or not. Couple of years ago.

It felt a lot back then then when I dreamed it, it felt almost certain and kinda too little at some point when hype around him was at its maximum, but today it feels about right.

Unless Carlos goes on a real tear I think Novak has a chance of 2 more.
    He played a great Wimbledon and was superb in most of the final,
    especially sets 1, 4 and 5. He was also great in set 2 really, just a
    couple key points didn't go his way. He's human. I still expect him to
    beat everyone else, and who knows he may even beat Carlos at USO as
    there is no calendar slam pressure? I think Novak's slam winning window
    will remain open at least the next 2 slams, and as long as 2025 AO.
    Let's hope Novak has 1 more rivalry with a 3rd goat level player. That
    would be a unique feat. If Novak ends up as all time slam king nobody
    can argue it was because of weak era - Federer, Nadal and Alcaraz were
    his rivals : )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Iceberg@21:1/5 to MBDunc on Tue Jul 18 04:16:52 2023
    On Monday, 17 July 2023 at 16:35:05 UTC+1, MBDunc wrote:

so Fed beating absolutely everyone except Nadal and Gasquet in an entire year does not indicate a clown era? how about Denko losing 12+ games in a row to Fed after being ahead of him at a slam??

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Iceberg@21:1/5 to Rich D on Tue Jul 18 04:19:02 2023
    On Monday, 17 July 2023 at 21:14:56 UTC+1, Rich D wrote:
    On July 16, PeteWasLucky wrote:
    yep, we've been waiting for a kid like this - https://www.pinterest.com/pin/246290673342240162/

oh wait - https://image-cdn.essentiallysports.com/wp-content/uploads/jpg-6.jpeg

Has anyone ever seen them in the same room, at the same time? https://www.pinterest.com/pin/377809856214499187/

YESSSSS!!!!!!!!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MBDunc@21:1/5 to The Iceberg on Tue Jul 18 04:20:31 2023
    On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 2:16:54 PM UTC+3, The Iceberg wrote:
    Anyone who immediately thinks "Spaniard = clay court expert" and then confidently says this publicly without waiting to see if this is true is a pretty dumb fucker, that's for sure.

so Fed beating absolutely everyone except Nadal and Gasquet in an entire year does not indicate a clown era? how about Denko losing 12+ games in a row to Fed after being ahead of him at a slam??

Was it times, when Nadal > Fed?

if this - Nadal had even more clown era if Fed lesser than Nadal, right?

.mikko

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Iceberg@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Tue Jul 18 04:22:55 2023
    On Tuesday, 18 July 2023 at 01:29:12 UTC+1, Sawfish wrote:

He IS that good.

did you miss Djoker whooping him at the FO? you know it could well be that Djoker does what he did to Sinner this Wimbledon. Last year Sinner took Djoker to 5 sets, this year Djoker knew what he was dealing with and gave him a real good thrashing!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Iceberg@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Tue Jul 18 04:20:55 2023
    On Tuesday, 18 July 2023 at 01:16:39 UTC+1, Sawfish wrote:
    On 16.7.2023 21.05, PeteWasLucky wrote:> It was due like 7-8 years ago.He was real, real good before the match. He didn't turn into a good player with the win. These wins are bound to go his way by the boatloads. That's how good he has been all
    the while.You may now hop onto the wagon and be a good fanboi.-- "And off they went, from here to there,The bear, the bear, and the maiden fair"-- Traditional

why exactly is it hard when he took him to 5 sets and Djoker was one drive-volley away from winning in the first game of the 5th? not like Alcaraz steam-rolled him.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Iceberg@21:1/5 to Whisper on Tue Jul 18 04:27:46 2023
    On Tuesday, 18 July 2023 at 11:27:09 UTC+1, Whisper wrote:
    PeteWasLucky <waleed...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r

yes agree with this, think what is good is we should get some really good matches/finals now with Djoker vs Alcaraz.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Iceberg@21:1/5 to Tuan on Tue Jul 18 04:24:16 2023
    On Tuesday, 18 July 2023 at 05:18:31 UTC+1, Tuan wrote:
    He is going to be very tough for anyone to beat in the foreseeable >>>> future. Barring injury to Alcaraz, the FO was probably Djok's last slam.

He IS that good.

Their h2h at present is 2-1 to Alcaraz. And the only loss was at RG where he untypically cramped up due to the pressure of facing Joker for the first time in a slam. That's unlikely to happen again!

does that mean Alcaraz is only top 100 player to have a positive h2h vs Djoker? Kyrgios?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Tue Jul 18 21:48:37 2023
    On 18/07/2023 1:24 am, Sawfish wrote:
    you seem to have forgotten that Zverev absolutely whooped him at FO
    last year. Asked elsewhere why does anyone think he's good on clay?
    seems to me that despite being Spanish, he's so different that clay is
    actually Alcaraz's worst surface.

Well he has won what 7 titles on clay already, and beat Rafa & Novak
    back to back on clay. The scary thing is clay really is a perfect
    surface for him, huge servers/hitters having a 'career best day' are
    less of a threat for him on clay. So the fact he's already won
    Wimbledon and USO suggests the sky is the limit at all slams.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MBDunc@21:1/5 to The Iceberg on Tue Jul 18 04:57:09 2023
    On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 2:24:18 PM UTC+3, The Iceberg wrote:
    On Tuesday, 18 July 2023 at 05:18:31 UTC+1, Tuan wrote:

He IS that good.

does that mean Alcaraz is only top 100 player to have a positive h2h vs Djoker? Kyrgios?

h2h stats are flawed. During 1997, the last really great year Sampras had (2 slams, YEC title), journeyman Magnus Larsson was 3-0 against Sampras that year.

But who is counting? No-one. I just remembered :) .

.mikko

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MBDunc@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 18 05:00:29 2023
    Djoker's post match thoughts:

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/djokovic-wimbledon-2023-final-reaction

"Djokovic: 'I Haven't Played A Player Like Alcaraz, Ever'"

"“I think people have been talking in the past 12 months or so about [Alcaraz’s] game consisting of certain elements from Roger, Rafa, and myself. I would agree with that. I think he's got basically best of all three worlds,†Djokovic said."

.mikko

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to The Iceberg on Tue Jul 18 22:30:06 2023
    On 18/07/2023 9:27 pm, The Iceberg wrote:

yes agree with this, think what is good is we should get some really good matches/finals now with Djoker vs Alcaraz.

Hopefully we get a few more slam matches, those 2 are clearly a cut
    above everyone else.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?Pelle_Svansl=c3=b6s?=@21:1/5 to Whisper on Tue Jul 18 15:40:57 2023
    On 18.7.2023 14.48, Whisper wrote:
    seems to me that despite being Spanish, he's so different that clay
    is actually Alcaraz's worst surface.

confidently says this publicly without waiting to see if this is true
    is a pretty dumb fucker, that's for sure.

back to back on clay.  The scary thing is clay really is a perfect
    surface for him,

He's a bona fide clay courter alright. Regardless of where his best
    results might be from so far. He's just a much more aggressive clay
    courter than the traditional moonballers from Spain. A walkabout ro two,
    and that leaves him vulnerable on the rare occasion. He hasn't had any walkabouts since clay of 2022. The speed of his development is nothing
    short of remarkable.

--
    "And off they went, from here to there,
    The bear, the bear, and the maiden fair"
    -- Traditional

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to Whisper on Tue Jul 18 08:37:05 2023
    On 7/18/23 3:26 AM, Whisper wrote:
    Barring injury to Alcaraz,  the FO was probably Djok's last
    slam.Probably true.----Android NewsGroup
    Reader----https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html >>>>

I had a dream he's going to end up with 25, with Olympics counted as
    majors but doesn't say he wins it or not. Couple of years ago.

It felt a lot back then then when I dreamed it, it felt almost
    certain and kinda too little at some point when hype around him was
    at its maximum, but today it feels about right.

Unless Carlos goes on a real tear I think Novak has a chance of 2
    more. He played a great Wimbledon and was superb in most of the final, especially sets 1, 4 and 5.  He was also great in set 2 really, just a couple key points didn't go his way.  He's human. I still expect him
    to beat everyone else, and who knows he may even beat Carlos at USO as
    there is no calendar slam pressure?  I think Novak's slam winning
    window will remain open at least the next 2 slams, and as long as 2025
    AO. Let's hope Novak has 1 more rivalry with a 3rd goat level player. 
    That would be a unique feat.  If Novak ends up as all time slam king
    nobody can argue it was because of weak era - Federer, Nadal and
    Alcaraz were his rivals : )

Here's where it's getting pretty damned hard for Djokovich.

1) He now needs much more rest/recovery time between tournaments, And
    yet if he tapers back too much, he also loses the very fine honing of
    timing. It's a devil's choice.

2) The length of the majors, two weeks, is sapping. This, especially,
    works to his disadvantage. Anyone can say anything they like, but I
    watched the final, and there's no doubt in my mind that he moved
    sluggishly for at least the last 3 sets. Really, really had troubles in reversing direction as compared to *any* other match I've seen him play.
    Not in comparison to Alcaraz, but in comparison to his own level of
    play. I'd attribute most of this the being 37 and having played as many
    as 7 matches, each of which might take 5 sets of play.

The final was about 5 hours, is this right?

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Reality is that thing that does not go away when you stop believing in it."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to The Iceberg on Tue Jul 18 08:57:56 2023
    On 7/18/23 4:27 AM, The Iceberg wrote:

This is possible/probable.

But *what* specifically, would Djok need to do to counter Alcaraz? I
    mean, even Alcaraz, himself, doesn't fully know what he's capable of.
    I'm sitting here watching him develop new stuff in the course of a
    tournament. When we speak of an "all court player", truly, not a
    baseliner who comes to the net just for form, just to give an opponent something to think about, we had better have Alcaraz's photo somewhere
    close by, for people to see an example.

What I'm seeing with Alcaraz is a seamless application of tactical
    responses, and there is, right now, nothing I can think of that he does
    not have in the way of a response. At this point in his career, he has
    no need of strategy, and this is because he has an effective tactical  response for everything an opponent can throw at him. Strategy is simply
    an advance plan to avoid stuff you don't do better than the other guy.
    He has no need of this.

I mean, a monster server, on a good day, can minimize Alcaraz's returns,
    but any hiccup whatsoever and he's likely to be down a break to Alcaraz.
    And Alcaraz has many, many ways to beat an opponent than to just have a superior return game that day.

It would be fun to mentally match up Alcaraz vs the best player on tour
    in each specific aspect of the game.

Who would win at least 55 out of 100 rally points vs Alcaraz?

Who can return serve 6 out of 10 times better than Alcaraz?

Who has a better defense, the ability to work back from a defensive
    position to an offensive position,  than Alcaraz?

These aren't rhetorical questions. There may be guys out there who are consistently better than Alcaraz in these areas, but I'm not familiar
    enough with many of players to know who.

There more I think about it, he is a *very scary* player...

--
    --Sawfish

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From grif@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Tue Jul 18 17:03:06 2023
    On 18/07/2023 16:57, Sawfish wrote:

But *what* specifically, would Djok need to do to counter Alcaraz? I mean, even Alcaraz, himself, doesn't fully know what he's capable of. I'm sitting here watching him develop new stuff in the course of a tournament. When we speak of an "all court
    player", truly, not a baseliner who comes to the net just for form, just to give an opponent something to think about, we had better have Alcaraz's photo somewhere close by, for people to see an example.

What I'm seeing with Alcaraz is a seamless application of tactical responses, and there is, right now, nothing I can think of that he does not have in the way of a response. At this point in his career, he has no need of strategy, and this is because
    he has an effective tactical response for everything an opponent can throw at him. Strategy is simply an advance plan to avoid stuff you don't do better than the other guy. He has no need of this.

I mean, a monster server, on a good day, can minimize Alcaraz's returns, but any hiccup whatsoever and he's likely to be down a break to Alcaraz. And Alcaraz has many, many ways to beat an opponent than to just have a superior return game that day.

It would be fun to mentally match up Alcaraz vs the best player on tour in each specific aspect of the game.

Who has a better defense, the ability to work back from a defensive position to an offensive position,  than Alcaraz?

These aren't rhetorical questions. There may be guys out there who are consistently better than Alcaraz in these areas, but I'm not familiar enough with many of players to know who.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDefcV8ufJg

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RaspingDrive@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Tue Jul 18 09:06:48 2023
    On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 11:58:00 AM UTC-4, Sawfish wrote:

Unless Carlos goes on a real tear I think Novak has a chance of 2 more. >> He played a great Wimbledon and was superb in most of the final,
    there is no calendar slam pressure? I think Novak's slam winning window >> will remain open at least the next 2 slams, and as long as 2025 AO.

But *what* specifically, would Djok need to do to counter Alcaraz? I
    mean, even Alcaraz, himself, doesn't fully know what he's capable of.
    I'm sitting here watching him develop new stuff in the course of a tournament. When we speak of an "all court player", truly, not a
    baseliner who comes to the net just for form, just to give an opponent something to think about, we had better have Alcaraz's photo somewhere
    close by, for people to see an example.

What I'm seeing with Alcaraz is a seamless application of tactical responses, and there is, right now, nothing I can think of that he does
    not have in the way of a response. At this point in his career, he has
    no need of strategy, and this is because he has an effective tactical response for everything an opponent can throw at him. Strategy is simply
    an advance plan to avoid stuff you don't do better than the other guy.
    He has no need of this.

I mean, a monster server, on a good day, can minimize Alcaraz's returns,
    but any hiccup whatsoever and he's likely to be down a break to Alcaraz.
    And Alcaraz has many, many ways to beat an opponent than to just have a superior return game that day.

It would be fun to mentally match up Alcaraz vs the best player on tour
    in each specific aspect of the game.

Who has a better defense, the ability to work back from a defensive
    position to an offensive position, than Alcaraz?

These aren't rhetorical questions. There may be guys out there who are consistently better than Alcaraz in these areas, but I'm not familiar
    enough with many of players to know who.

--
    --Sawfish

Super post. A++

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to Whisper on Tue Jul 18 09:15:07 2023
    On 7/18/23 4:48 AM, Whisper wrote:
    seems to me that despite being Spanish, he's so different that clay
    is actually Alcaraz's worst surface.

confidently says this publicly without waiting to see if this is true
    is a pretty dumb fucker, that's for sure.

back to back on clay.

So what are you saying? That we *have* waited to see if Alcaraz (a
    Spaniard) has won on clay before saying he's an expert?

That's the payload of what I said, above.

The scary thing is clay really is a perfect surface for him, huge servers/hitters having a 'career best day' are less of a threat for
    him on clay.  So the fact he's already won Wimbledon and USO suggests
    the sky is the limit at all slams.
    I can agree with this.

--
    "Would someone please tell me what 'diddy-wah-diddy' means?" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to The Iceberg on Tue Jul 18 09:18:43 2023
    On 7/18/23 4:22 AM, The Iceberg wrote:
    On Tuesday, 18 July 2023 at 01:29:12 UTC+1, Sawfish wrote:
    He is going to be very tough for anyone to beat in the foreseeable >>>>>> future. Barring injury to Alcaraz, the FO was probably Djok's last slam. >>>>> I'll take that bet! It's not Djokovic's last slam!

He IS that good.

I think Djok should never be considered the favorite vs Alcaraz in any
    match on any surface. 5 years ago, I would not say that.
    did you miss Djoker whooping him at the FO?
    That was then; this is now, and into the future, Ice.
    you know it could well be that Djoker does what he did to Sinner this Wimbledon. Last year Sinner took Djoker to 5 sets, this year Djoker knew what he was dealing with and gave him a real good thrashing!
    Sinner does not equal Alcaraz, surely.

--
    "I done created myself a monster."

--Juan Carlos Ferrero ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to The Iceberg on Tue Jul 18 09:26:40 2023
    On 7/18/23 4:20 AM, The Iceberg wrote:

future. Barring injury to Alcaraz, the FO was probably Djok's last slam. >>> I'll take that bet! It's not Djokovic's last slam!

why exactly is it hard when he took him to 5 sets and Djoker was one drive-volley away from winning in the first game of the 5th? not like Alcaraz steam-rolled him.

Because Djok now has someone to be scared of, like Wawrinka. But young,
    more confident and much better overall than Stan.

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Goodness could be found sometimes in the middle of hell."

--Charles Bukowski ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From undecided@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Tue Jul 18 11:52:27 2023
    On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 11:37:09 AM UTC-4, Sawfish wrote:
    Barring injury to Alcaraz, the FO was probably Djok's last

more. He played a great Wimbledon and was superb in most of the final, especially sets 1, 4 and 5. He was also great in set 2 really, just a couple key points didn't go his way. He's human. I still expect him
    to beat everyone else, and who knows he may even beat Carlos at USO as there is no calendar slam pressure? I think Novak's slam winning
    AO. Let's hope Novak has 1 more rivalry with a 3rd goat level player. That would be a unique feat. If Novak ends up as all time slam king nobody can argue it was because of weak era - Federer, Nadal and

yet if he tapers back too much, he also loses the very fine honing of timing. It's a devil's choice.

sluggishly for at least the last 3 sets. Really, really had troubles in reversing direction as compared to *any* other match I've seen him play.

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Reality is that thing that does not go away when you stop believing in it."

I disagree about Djoker looking sluggish. That's the possum shit he pulls against opponents right before he eviscerates them. He played a much more grueling tournament at the French and he was fine.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to undecided on Tue Jul 18 21:02:21 2023
    undecided <costasz@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 11:37:09 AM UTC-4, Sawfish wrote:> On 7/18/23 3:26 AM, Whisper wrote: > > On 17/07/2023 6:31 am, *skriptis wrote: > >> PeteWasLucky <waleed...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r > >>>> Barring injury to Alcaraz, the FO was
    probably Djok's last > >>>> slam.Probably true.----Android NewsGroup > >>>> Reader----https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html > >>>> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> I had a dream he's going to end up with 25, with Olympics counted as > >>
    majors but doesn't say he wins it or not. Couple of years ago. > >> > >> So it could be AO + Olympics or some other 2 slams. > >> > >> It felt a lot back then then when I dreamed it, it felt almost > >> certain and kinda too little at some point when
    hype around him was > >> at its maximum, but today it feels about right. > >> > >> 25. > >> > >> Two more. Let's see if I dream well. > >> > >> > > > > > > Unless Carlos goes on a real tear I think Novak has a chance of 2 > > more. He played a great
    Wimbledon and was superb in most of the final, > > especially sets 1, 4 and 5. He was also great in set 2 really, just a > > couple key points didn't go his way. He's human. I still expect him > > to beat everyone else, and who knows he may even beat
    Carlos at USO as > > there is no calendar slam pressure? I think Novak's slam winning > > window will remain open at least the next 2 slams, and as long as 2025 > > AO. Let's hope Novak has 1 more rivalry with a 3rd goat level player. > > That would be
    a unique feat. If Novak ends up as all time slam king > > nobody can argue it was because of weak era - Federer, Nadal and > > Alcaraz were his rivals : )> Here's where it's getting pretty damned hard for Djokovich. > > 1) He now needs much more rest/
    recovery time between tournaments, And > yet if he tapers back too much, he also loses the very fine honing of > timing. It's a devil's choice. > > 2) The length of the majors, two weeks, is sapping. This, especially, > works to his disadvantage. Anyone
    can say anything they like, but I > watched the final, and there's no doubt in my mind that he moved > sluggishly for at least the last 3 sets. Really, really had troubles in > reversing direction as compared to *any* other match I've seen him play. >
    Not in comparison to Alcaraz, but in comparison to his own level of > play. I'd attribute most of this the being 37 and having played as many > as 7 matches, each of which might take 5 sets of play. > > The final was about 5 hours, is this right?> -- > ~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ > "Reality is that thing that does not go away when you stop believing in it." > > --Sawfish > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I disagree
    about Djoker looking sluggish. That's the possum shit he pulls against opponents right before he eviscerates them. He played a much more grueling tournament at the French and he was fine.

That's the best thing in tennis ever.

Sone say it's gamesmanship, but I'm trying to imagine myself I never cared if my opponent looked tired or angry. I just played?

If anything I liked seeing him visibly tired, angry and so. The only thing I never liked are retirements. ;)

But yeah, if Djokovic studied tennis psychology that much and if it really works, then kudos to him for applying it.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 18 12:34:59 2023
    T24gNy8xOC8yMyAxMjowMiBQTSwgKnNrcmlwdGlzIHdyb3RlOg0KPiB1bmRlY2lkZWQgPGNv c3Rhc3pAZ21haWwuY29tPiBXcm90ZSBpbiBtZXNzYWdlOnINCj4+IE9uIFR1ZXNkYXksIEp1 bHkgMTgsIDIwMjMgYXQgMTE6Mzc6MDnigK9BTSBVVEMtNCwgU2F3ZmlzaCB3cm90ZTo+IE9u IDcvMTgvMjMgMzoyNiBBTSwgV2hpc3BlciB3cm90ZTogPiA+IE9uIDE3LzA3LzIwMjMgNjoz MSBhbSwgKnNrcmlwdGlzIHdyb3RlOiA+ID4+IFBldGVXYXNMdWNreSA8d2FsZWVkLi4uQGdt YWlsLmNvbT4gV3JvdGUgaW4gbWVzc2FnZTpyID4gPj4+PiBCYXJyaW5nIGluanVyeSB0byBB bGNhcmF6LCAgdGhlIEZPIHdhcyBwcm9iYWJseSBEam9rJ3MgbGFzdCA+ID4+Pj4gc2xhbS5Q cm9iYWJseSB0cnVlLi0tLS1BbmRyb2lkIE5ld3NHcm91cCA+ID4+Pj4gUmVhZGVyLS0tLWh0 dHBzOi8vcGlhb2hvbmcuczMtdXMtd2VzdC0yLmFtYXpvbmF3cy5jb20vdXNlbmV0L2luZGV4 Lmh0bWwgPiA+Pj4+ID4gPj4gPiA+PiA+ID4+ID4gPj4gPiA+PiBJIGhhZCBhIGRyZWFtIGhl J3MgZ29pbmcgdG8gZW5kIHVwIHdpdGggMjUsIHdpdGggT2x5bXBpY3MgY291bnRlZCBhcyA+ ID4+IG1ham9ycyBidXQgZG9lc24ndCBzYXkgaGUgd2lucyBpdCBvciBub3QuIENvdXBsZSBv ZiB5ZWFycyBhZ28uID4gPj4gPiA+PiBTbyBpdCBjb3VsZCBiZSBBTyArIE9seW1waWNzIG9y IHNvbWUgb3RoZXIgMiBzbGFtcy4gPiA+PiA+ID4+IEl0IGZlbHQgYSBsb3QgYmFjayB0aGVu IHRoZW4gd2hlbiBJIGRyZWFtZWQgaXQsIGl0IGZlbHQgYWxtb3N0ID4gPj4gY2VydGFpbiBh bmQga2luZGEgdG9vIGxpdHRsZSBhdCBzb21lIHBvaW50IHdoZW4gaHlwZSBhcm91bmQgaGlt IHdhcyA+ID4+IGF0IGl0cyBtYXhpbXVtLCBidXQgdG9kYXkgaXQgZmVlbHMgYWJvdXQgcmln aHQuID4gPj4gPiA+PiAyNS4gPiA+PiA+ID4+IFR3byBtb3JlLiBMZXQncyBzZWUgaWYgSSBk cmVhbSB3ZWxsLiA+ID4+ID4gPj4gPiA+ID4gPiA+ID4gVW5sZXNzIENhcmxvcyBnb2VzIG9u IGEgcmVhbCB0ZWFyIEkgdGhpbmsgTm92YWsgaGFzIGEgY2hhbmNlIG9mIDIgPiA+IG1vcmUu IEhlIHBsYXllZCBhIGdyZWF0IFdpbWJsZWRvbiBhbmQgd2FzIHN1cGVyYiBpbiBtb3N0IG9m IHRoZSBmaW5hbCwgPiA+IGVzcGVjaWFsbHkgc2V0cyAxLCA0IGFuZCA1LiAgSGUgd2FzIGFs c28gZ3JlYXQgaW4gc2V0IDIgcmVhbGx5LCBqdXN0IGEgPiA+IGNvdXBsZSBrZXkgcG9pbnRz IGRpZG4ndCBnbyBoaXMgd2F5LiAgSGUncyBodW1hbi4gSSBzdGlsbCBleHBlY3QgaGltID4g PiB0byBiZWF0IGV2ZXJ5b25lIGVsc2UsIGFuZCB3aG8ga25vd3MgaGUgbWF5IGV2ZW4gYmVh dCBDYXJsb3MgYXQgVVNPIGFzID4gPiB0aGVyZSBpcyBubyBjYWxlbmRhciBzbGFtIHByZXNz dXJlPyAgSSB0aGluayBOb3ZhaydzIHNsYW0gd2lubmluZyA+ID4gd2luZG93IHdpbGwgcmVt YWluIG9wZW4gYXQgbGVhc3QgdGhlIG5leHQgMiBzbGFtcywgYW5kIGFzIGxvbmcgYXMgMjAy NSA+ID4gQU8uIExldCdzIGhvcGUgTm92YWsgaGFzIDEgbW9yZSByaXZhbHJ5IHdpdGggYSAz cmQgZ29hdCBsZXZlbCBwbGF5ZXIuICA+ID4gVGhhdCB3b3VsZCBiZSBhIHVuaXF1ZSBmZWF0 LiAgSWYgTm92YWsgZW5kcyB1cCBhcyBhbGwgdGltZSBzbGFtIGtpbmcgPiA+IG5vYm9keSBj YW4gYXJndWUgaXQgd2FzIGJlY2F1c2Ugb2Ygd2VhayBlcmEgLSBGZWRlcmVyLCBOYWRhbCBh bmQgPiA+IEFsY2FyYXogd2VyZSBoaXMgcml2YWxzIDogKT4gSGVyZSdzIHdoZXJlIGl0J3Mg Z2V0dGluZyBwcmV0dHkgZGFtbmVkIGhhcmQgZm9yIERqb2tvdmljaC4gPiA+IDEpIEhlIG5v dyBuZWVkcyBtdWNoIG1vcmUgcmVzdC9yZWNvdmVyeSB0aW1lIGJldHdlZW4gdG91cm5hbWVu dHMsIEFuZCA+IHlldCBpZiBoZSB0YXBlcnMgYmFjayB0b28gbXVjaCwgaGUgYWxzbyBsb3Nl cyB0aGUgdmVyeSBmaW5lIGhvbmluZyBvZiA+IHRpbWluZy4gSXQncyBhIGRldmlsJ3MgY2hv aWNlLiA+ID4gMikgVGhlIGxlbmd0aCBvZiB0aGUgbWFqb3JzLCB0d28gd2Vla3MsIGlzIHNh cHBpbmcuIFRoaXMsIGVzcGVjaWFsbHksID4gd29ya3MgdG8gaGlzIGRpc2FkdmFudGFnZS4g QW55b25lIGNhbiBzYXkgYW55dGhpbmcgdGhleSBsaWtlLCBidXQgSSA+IHdhdGNoZWQgdGhl IGZpbmFsLCBhbmQgdGhlcmUncyBubyBkb3VidCBpbiBteSBtaW5kIHRoYXQgaGUgbW92ZWQg PiBzbHVnZ2lzaGx5IGZvciBhdCBsZWFzdCB0aGUgbGFzdCAzIHNldHMuIFJlYWxseSwgcmVh bGx5IGhhZCB0cm91YmxlcyBpbiA+IHJldmVyc2luZyBkaXJlY3Rpb24gYXMgY29tcGFyZWQg dG8gKmFueSogb3RoZXIgbWF0Y2ggSSd2ZSBzZWVuIGhpbSBwbGF5LiA+IE5vdCBpbiBjb21w YXJpc29uIHRvIEFsY2FyYXosIGJ1dCBpbiBjb21wYXJpc29uIHRvIGhpcyBvd24gbGV2ZWwg b2YgPiBwbGF5LiBJJ2QgYXR0cmlidXRlIG1vc3Qgb2YgdGhpcyB0aGUgYmVpbmcgMzcgYW5k IGhhdmluZyBwbGF5ZWQgYXMgbWFueSA+IGFzIDcgbWF0Y2hlcywgZWFjaCBvZiB3aGljaCBt aWdodCB0YWtlIDUgc2V0cyBvZiBwbGF5LiA+ID4gVGhlIGZpbmFsIHdhcyBhYm91dCA1IGhv dXJzLCBpcyB0aGlzIHJpZ2h0Pz4gLS0gPiB+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+ fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn4gPiAiUmVh bGl0eSBpcyB0aGF0IHRoaW5nIHRoYXQgZG9lcyBub3QgZ28gYXdheSB3aGVuIHlvdSBzdG9w IGJlbGlldmluZyBpbiBpdC4iID4gPiAtLVNhd2Zpc2ggPiB+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+ fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+ fn5JIGRpc2FncmVlIGFib3V0IERqb2tlciBsb29raW5nIHNsdWdnaXNoLiBUaGF0J3MgdGhl IHBvc3N1bSBzaGl0IGhlIHB1bGxzIGFnYWluc3Qgb3Bwb25lbnRzIHJpZ2h0IGJlZm9yZSBo ZSBldmlzY2VyYXRlcyB0aGVtLiBIZSBwbGF5ZWQgYSBtdWNoIG1vcmUgZ3J1ZWxpbmcgdG91 cm5hbWVudCBhdCB0aGUgRnJlbmNoIGFuZCBoZSB3YXMgZmluZS4NCj4NCj4NCj4gVGhhdCdz IHRoZSBiZXN0IHRoaW5nIGluIHRlbm5pcyBldmVyLg0KPg0KPiBTb25lIHNheSBpdCdzIGdh bWVzbWFuc2hpcCwgYnV0IEknbSB0cnlpbmcgdG8gaW1hZ2luZSBteXNlbGYgSSBuZXZlciBj YXJlZCBpZiBteSBvcHBvbmVudCBsb29rZWQgdGlyZWQgb3IgYW5ncnkuIEkganVzdCBwbGF5 ZWQ/DQo+DQo+IElmIGFueXRoaW5nIEkgbGlrZWQgc2VlaW5nIGhpbSB2aXNpYmx5IHRpcmVk LCBhbmdyeSBhbmQgc28uIFRoZSBvbmx5IHRoaW5nIEkgbmV2ZXIgbGlrZWQgYXJlIHJldGly ZW1lbnRzLiA7KQ0KPg0KPiBCdXQgeWVhaCwgaWYgRGpva292aWMgc3R1ZGllZCB0ZW5uaXMg cHN5Y2hvbG9neSB0aGF0IG11Y2ggYW5kIGlmIGl0IHJlYWxseSB3b3JrcywgdGhlbiBrdWRv cyB0byBoaW0gZm9yIGFwcGx5aW5nIGl0Lg0KDQpJIHRoaW5rIERqb2sgaXMgYSBuYXR1cmFs LsKgIEhlJ3MgaW50ZWxsaWdlbnQsIGhlICpzZWVzKiB0aGluZ3MsIGNhbiBzZWUgDQp0aGUg cG90ZW50aWFsIGluIHZhcmlvdXMgY291cnNlcyBvZiBhY3Rpb24sIGFuZCByZWFjdHMgdG8g aGlzIGJlc3QgDQphZHZhbnRhZ2UuDQoNClRoaXMgaXMgYSBjb25zaXN0ZW50IHdpbm5lci4N Cg0KPg0KPg0KDQotLSANCi0tU2F3ZmlzaA0Kfn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+ fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+DQoiVGhl IEF5YXRvbGxhIG9mIFJvY2sgYW5kIFJvbGxhISINCn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+ fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fg0K
    DQo=

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TT@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 18 22:49:58 2023
    MBDunc kirjoitti 18.7.2023 klo 14.20:
    On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 2:16:54 PM UTC+3, The Iceberg wrote:
    confidently says this publicly without waiting to see if this is true is >>>> a pretty dumb fucker, that's for sure.

Had they been reversed (they were close calls, especially FO 1994 case). >>>

Was it times, when Nadal > Fed?

if this - Nadal had even more clown era if Fed lesser than Nadal, right?

.mikko

Wrong. Circular thinking.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tuan@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Tue Jul 18 16:28:28 2023
    On Wednesday, July 19, 2023 at 1:37:09 AM UTC+10, Sawfish wrote:

more. He played a great Wimbledon and was superb in most of the final, especially sets 1, 4 and 5. He was also great in set 2 really, just a couple key points didn't go his way. He's human. I still expect him
    to beat everyone else, and who knows he may even beat Carlos at USO as there is no calendar slam pressure? I think Novak's slam winning
    AO. Let's hope Novak has 1 more rivalry with a 3rd goat level player. That would be a unique feat. If Novak ends up as all time slam king nobody can argue it was because of weak era - Federer, Nadal and

yet if he tapers back too much, he also loses the very fine honing of timing. It's a devil's choice.

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Reality is that thing that does not go away when you stop believing in it."

He had troubles in reversing direction simply because of Alcaraz using all four corners of the court, and doing that very quickly and unexpectedly compared with any other players.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to Tuan on Tue Jul 18 16:47:09 2023
    On 7/18/23 4:28 PM, Tuan wrote:
    Reader----https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html >>>>>>

more. He played a great Wimbledon and was superb in most of the final,
    couple key points didn't go his way. He's human. I still expect him
    there is no calendar slam pressure? I think Novak's slam winning
    That would be a unique feat. If Novak ends up as all time slam king

sluggishly for at least the last 3 sets. Really, really had troubles in
    reversing direction as compared to *any* other match I've seen him play.

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ >> "Reality is that thing that does not go away when you stop believing in it." >>
    --Sawfish
    He had troubles in reversing direction simply because of Alcaraz using all four corners of the court, and doing that very quickly and unexpectedly compared with any other players.

There's more to it than that.

You note that Alcaraz had no such problems, even though Djok was running
    him side to side. In former years Djok, and Nadal, could also make the
    fast reversals. Then you could see Nadal having exactly this trouble
    starting maybe 3-4 years ago. I noted it. I did not note this in Djok at
    the time. I noted it, for sure, by the 4th set on Sunday.

You're of course free to disagree, So far as I'm concerned, you have
    ownership of the thought that Djok has not, as they say, lost a step. It
    is, specifically, the stop and reversal: how smooth and quick is it?
    Djok labored with that aspect from the 4th on.

Maybe you saw something different; I'll stick with my own observations.

--
    "It was public knowledge that Sawfish was a loner with strong misanthropic tendencies: it was rare for him to even say a word to his dog."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Court_1@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Tue Jul 18 19:39:41 2023
    On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 12:26:44 PM UTC-4, Sawfish wrote:

You're correct. He now has a younger player to be scared of. But that will motivate him more IMO. What record does he have left to surpass? What he'll want to do now is get a few more slams to ensure the slam record won't ever be broken(likely.) He can
    still do that. He has ONE guy who is a threat. Alcaraz has had some injury issues so who knows what will transpire with him?

Djokovic battled closely in the W final. If I few more points went his way he would have won it.

I think it's foolish to write him off just yet. This guy is one tough competitor. He is the youngest of the big three and has more slams for a reason. If Alcaraz beats Djokovic at the AO(where Djokovic is king) then we can re-think things.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Court_1@21:1/5 to Tuan on Tue Jul 18 19:28:29 2023
    On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 12:18:31 AM UTC-4, Tuan wrote:

He IS that good.

The Wimbledon final was so close and Djokovic made some unprecedented errors(netting backhands, etc.) Plus, Djokovic is a terrible wind player. Add all of that on to the fact that Djokovic will study the tape of the match obsessively to be better in
    their next match. Didn't Djokovic's wife a few years ago say that Djokovic becomes consumed with errors he made in a match and watches the matches over and over?

Djokovic just won the AO and FO. He almost won Wimbledon. He and Alcaraz are the best two players in the world and Djokovic is extremely fit still. I just fail to see how Alcaraz will completely dominate that match-up right now. In two years? Yes. But
    right now? These Big Three Players are not like other players. They keep coming back from the dead over and over. That's why they all have 20+ slams and have competed very well at 35+ years old.

Let's see what happens. I think Djokovic has at least a couple of slams left in him. I know many non-Novak fans(I was never a Novak fan) can't bear to think of the reality that he has surpassed the other two Big Three players and that he is better than
    the other two but it's stupid IMO. He's way ahead in all the important stats. He may as well keep going and separate himself further at this point.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Court_1@21:1/5 to undecided on Tue Jul 18 19:41:42 2023
    On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 2:52:30 PM UTC-4, undecided wrote:

I disagree about Djoker looking sluggish. That's the possum shit he pulls against opponents right before he eviscerates them. He played a much more grueling tournament at the French and he was fine.

I agree. It's ridiculous to say Djokovic looks sluggish. I mean, are people serious? And yes, Djokovic performs the possum act like no other. Anybody who falls for it is a nitwit.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Court_1@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Tue Jul 18 21:10:01 2023
    On Wednesday, July 19, 2023 at 12:01:58 AM UTC-4, Sawfish wrote:
    On 7/18/23 7:39 PM, Court_1 wrote:
    On 16.7.2023 21.05, PeteWasLucky wrote:> It was due like 7-8 years ago.He was real, real good before the match. He didn't turn into a good player with the win. These wins are bound to go his way by the boatloads. That's how good he has been
    all the while.You may now hop onto the wagon and be a good fanboi.-- "And off they went, from here to there,The bear, the bear, and the maiden fair"-- Traditional

He is going to be very tough for anyone to beat in the foreseeable >>>>>> future. Barring injury to Alcaraz, the FO was probably Djok's last slam.

Because Djok now has someone to be scared of, like Wawrinka. But young, >> more confident and much better overall than Stan.
    You're correct. He now has a younger player to be scared of. But that will motivate him more IMO. What record does he have left to surpass? What he'll want to do now is get a few more slams to ensure the slam record won't ever be broken(likely.) He
    can still do that. He has ONE guy who is a threat. Alcaraz has had some injury issues so who knows what will transpire with him?

Djokovic battled closely in the W final. If I few more points went his way he would have won it.

I think it's foolish to write him off just yet. This guy is one tough competitor. He is the youngest of the big three and has more slams for a reason. If Alcaraz beats Djokovic at the AO(where Djokovic is king) then we can re-think things.
    OK.

I'll be pleased if he wins more. But we'll really have to see. What I *thought* I saw while watching the match is not encouraging.

Who is your favorite Big Three player? I don't even know.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 18 21:01:54 2023

You're correct. He now has a younger player to be scared of. But that will motivate him more IMO. What record does he have left to surpass? What he'll want to do now is get a few more slams to ensure the slam record won't ever be broken(likely.) He can
    still do that. He has ONE guy who is a threat. Alcaraz has had some injury issues so who knows what will transpire with him?

OK.

I'll be pleased if he wins more. But we'll really have to see. What I
    *thought* I saw  while watching the match is not encouraging.

--
    "I only trust statistics that I have falsified, myself."

--Winston Churchill ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 18 21:13:12 2023
    On 7/18/23 7:41 PM, Court_1 wrote:

I agree. It's ridiculous to say Djokovic looks sluggish. I mean, are people serious? And yes, Djokovic performs the possum act like no other. Anybody who falls for it is a nitwit.

Let's be clear.

I'm NOT talking about how he comports himself between points, appearing fatigued for whatever reason, real or feigned.

I'm talking about the same thing I saw in Nadal about 3 years
    ago,getting stretched in one direct and losing a step in turning and
    going back in the opposite direct. With each cross court shot in a
    rally, the older player such as Rafa, and maybe now Djok, loses distance
    to the ball. Soon they are not able to get back and they lose the point
    to a wide  winner that they could have routinely kept in play only a few
    years prior.

That is, specifically, what I saw starting in the 4th set.

Maybe you didn't see it, or you conclude otherwise for whatever the
    reason, but I';; stick with my own observation.

--

--Winston Churchill ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 18 21:18:24 2023
    On 7/18/23 9:10 PM, Court_1 wrote:
    On 16.7.2023 21.05, PeteWasLucky wrote:> It was due like 7-8 years ago.He was real, real good before the match. He didn't turn into a good player with the win. These wins are bound to go his way by the boatloads. That's how good he has been
    all the while.You may now hop onto the wagon and be a good fanboi.-- "And off they went, from here to there,The bear, the bear, and the maiden fair"-- Traditional

He is going to be very tough for anyone to beat in the foreseeable >>>>>>>> future. Barring injury to Alcaraz, the FO was probably Djok's last slam.

Because Djok now has someone to be scared of, like Wawrinka. But young, >>>> more confident and much better overall than Stan.
    You're correct. He now has a younger player to be scared of. But that will motivate him more IMO. What record does he have left to surpass? What he'll want to do now is get a few more slams to ensure the slam record won't ever be broken(likely.) He
    can still do that. He has ONE guy who is a threat. Alcaraz has had some injury issues so who knows what will transpire with him?

OK.

*thought* I saw while watching the match is not encouraging.

I don't see them like that. They're like the Teenage Mutant Ninja
    Turtles, each with their own specialties.

Since I know none of them personally, and never will, I can't really
    like any of them aside from their approach to tennis.

...and all of them are damned admirable in that pursuit.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Wed Jul 19 15:15:41 2023
    On 19/07/2023 1:37 am, Sawfish wrote:
    Barring injury to Alcaraz,  the FO was probably Djok's last
    Reader----https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html >>>

more. He played a great Wimbledon and was superb in most of the final,
    especially sets 1, 4 and 5.  He was also great in set 2 really, just a
    couple key points didn't go his way.  He's human. I still expect him
    there is no calendar slam pressure?  I think Novak's slam winning
    That would be a unique feat.  If Novak ends up as all time slam king

4 hrs 42 min I heard?

Even though I expect Carlos to be fave whenever he plays Novak and
    expect age to be a factor, we still have to give him benefit of the
    doubt based on the actual evidence. He was close to winning this match
    and very nearly got 1st 3 legs of the calendar slam. I expect Novak to
    be a big threat at next 2 slams, after that have to see if his form dips significantly. He's proven me wrong many times, won't be surprised if
    he does so again : )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gracchus@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Tue Jul 18 22:17:16 2023
    On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 9:18:28 PM UTC-7, Sawfish wrote:

Come on, you should know that's not allowed here. It's fine not to favor any of them, but you have to hate at least one with an undying passion. The RST charter stipulates this on page 11, line 23, clause 14b. Trust me on this.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to Gracchus on Wed Jul 19 09:41:55 2023
    On 7/18/23 10:17 PM, Gracchus wrote:
    Come on, you should know that's not allowed here. It's fine not to favor any of them, but you have to hate at least one with an undying passion. The RST charter stipulates this on page 11, line 23, clause 14b. Trust me on this.

:^)

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Give me Dadaism, or give me nothing!"
    --Sawfish

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From undecided@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Wed Jul 19 11:45:23 2023
    On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 7:47:12 PM UTC-4, Sawfish wrote:
    Reader----https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

I had a dream he's going to end up with 25, with Olympics counted as >>>> majors but doesn't say he wins it or not. Couple of years ago.

certain and kinda too little at some point when hype around him was >>>> at its maximum, but today it feels about right.

more. He played a great Wimbledon and was superb in most of the final, >>> especially sets 1, 4 and 5. He was also great in set 2 really, just a >>> couple key points didn't go his way. He's human. I still expect him
    to beat everyone else, and who knows he may even beat Carlos at USO as >>> there is no calendar slam pressure? I think Novak's slam winning
    window will remain open at least the next 2 slams, and as long as 2025 >>> AO. Let's hope Novak has 1 more rivalry with a 3rd goat level player. >>> That would be a unique feat. If Novak ends up as all time slam king

sluggishly for at least the last 3 sets. Really, really had troubles in >> reversing direction as compared to *any* other match I've seen him play. >> Not in comparison to Alcaraz, but in comparison to his own level of
    play. I'd attribute most of this the being 37 and having played as many >> as 7 matches, each of which might take 5 sets of play.

--
    "Reality is that thing that does not go away when you stop believing in it."

--Sawfish

fast reversals. Then you could see Nadal having exactly this trouble starting maybe 3-4 years ago. I noted it. I did not note this in Djok at

You're of course free to disagree, So far as I'm concerned, you have ownership of the thought that Djok has not, as they say, lost a step. It

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "It was public knowledge that Sawfish was a loner with strong misanthropic tendencies: it was rare for him to even say a word to his dog."
    Sorry, I did not notice what you're talking about. Djoker had crazy cross court angle exchanges against Alcaraz. He won his fair share of them. They were only a couple of points apart at the end. It could have gone either way. Djoker looked to be in
    charge for most of the match. Alcaraz reacting. I think Djoker would still be fave against anyone anywhere until I see a convincing loss.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to undecided on Wed Jul 19 12:09:29 2023
    On 7/19/23 11:45 AM, undecided wrote:

I had a dream he's going to end up with 25, with Olympics counted as >>>>>> majors but doesn't say he wins it or not. Couple of years ago.

certain and kinda too little at some point when hype around him was >>>>>> at its maximum, but today it feels about right.

more. He played a great Wimbledon and was superb in most of the final, >>>>> especially sets 1, 4 and 5. He was also great in set 2 really, just a >>>>> couple key points didn't go his way. He's human. I still expect him
    to beat everyone else, and who knows he may even beat Carlos at USO as >>>>> there is no calendar slam pressure? I think Novak's slam winning
    window will remain open at least the next 2 slams, and as long as 2025 >>>>> AO. Let's hope Novak has 1 more rivalry with a 3rd goat level player. >>>>> That would be a unique feat. If Novak ends up as all time slam king

sluggishly for at least the last 3 sets. Really, really had troubles in >>>> reversing direction as compared to *any* other match I've seen him play. >>>> Not in comparison to Alcaraz, but in comparison to his own level of
    play. I'd attribute most of this the being 37 and having played as many >>>> as 7 matches, each of which might take 5 sets of play.

--

--Sawfish

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ >> "It was public knowledge that Sawfish was a loner with strong misanthropic tendencies: it was rare for him to even say a word to his dog."
    Sorry, I did not notice what you're talking about. Djoker had crazy cross court angle exchanges against Alcaraz. He won his fair share of them. They were only a couple of points apart at the end. It could have gone either way. Djoker looked to be in
    charge for most of the match. Alcaraz reacting. I think Djoker would still be fave against anyone anywhere until I see a convincing loss.

Let me ask, in all respect: have you noticed a deterioration in Rafa's
    tennis abilities? If not, fine; if so, what are the differences?

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Doncha know,
    That it's a shame and a pity
    You were raised
    Up in the city
    And you never learned nothin'
    'bout country ways."

--Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to undecided on Wed Jul 19 12:06:01 2023

I had a dream he's going to end up with 25, with Olympics counted as >>>>>> majors but doesn't say he wins it or not. Couple of years ago.

certain and kinda too little at some point when hype around him was >>>>>> at its maximum, but today it feels about right.

more. He played a great Wimbledon and was superb in most of the final, >>>>> especially sets 1, 4 and 5. He was also great in set 2 really, just a >>>>> couple key points didn't go his way. He's human. I still expect him
    to beat everyone else, and who knows he may even beat Carlos at USO as >>>>> there is no calendar slam pressure? I think Novak's slam winning
    window will remain open at least the next 2 slams, and as long as 2025 >>>>> AO. Let's hope Novak has 1 more rivalry with a 3rd goat level player. >>>>> That would be a unique feat. If Novak ends up as all time slam king

sluggishly for at least the last 3 sets. Really, really had troubles in >>>> reversing direction as compared to *any* other match I've seen him play. >>>> Not in comparison to Alcaraz, but in comparison to his own level of
    play. I'd attribute most of this the being 37 and having played as many >>>> as 7 matches, each of which might take 5 sets of play.

--

--Sawfish

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ >> "It was public knowledge that Sawfish was a loner with strong misanthropic tendencies: it was rare for him to even say a word to his dog."

Let me ask,in all respect: have you noticed a deterioration in Rafa's

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Doncha know,
    You were raised
    Up in the city
    'bout country ways."

--Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Court_1@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Wed Jul 19 20:32:37 2023
    On Wednesday, July 19, 2023 at 12:13:16 AM UTC-4, Sawfish wrote:

Let's be clear.

I'm NOT talking about how he comports himself between points, appearing fatigued for whatever reason, real or feigned.

to a wide winner that they could have routinely kept in play only a few years prior.

I haven't watched the match in full but have watched the highlights. I saw Djokovic made uncharacteristic errors. Is that due to age? I don't know but I think he made those errors because Alcaraz is no Sinner and he felt some pressure for once.

To me, whatever he's lost in speed(and it ain't much) and other areas, he's made up for by improving in other areas.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Court_1@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Wed Jul 19 20:33:26 2023
    On Wednesday, July 19, 2023 at 12:18:28 AM UTC-4, Sawfish wrote:
    On Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 4:00:41 PM UTC-4, Sawfish wrote: >>>>>>>> On 7/16/23 11:34 AM, PeteWasLucky wrote:

I didn't watch the match, but I believed that it was tough to forget what happened in the FO and beat Djokovic playing him for the first time on grass. I believe being very good and younger gave him the win today. Hopefully he stays injury
    free.
    He is going to be very tough for anyone to beat in the foreseeable >>>>>>>> future. Barring injury to Alcaraz, the FO was probably Djok's last slam.

Because Djok now has someone to be scared of, like Wawrinka. But young, >>>> more confident and much better overall than Stan.

OK.

That's a good way to view it. You're must less likely to become a delusional fanatic.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Court_1@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jul 19 20:50:37 2023
    On Wednesday, July 19, 2023 at 11:33:28 PM UTC-4, Court_1 wrote:
    On Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 4:00:41 PM UTC-4, Sawfish wrote: >>>>>>>> On 7/16/23 11:34 AM, PeteWasLucky wrote:
    On 16.7.2023 21.05, PeteWasLucky wrote:> It was due like 7-8 years ago.He was real, real good before the match. He didn't turn into a good player with the win. These wins are bound to go his way by the boatloads. That's how good he has
    been all the while.You may now hop onto the wagon and be a good fanboi.-- "And off they went, from here to there,The bear, the bear, and the maiden fair"-- Traditional

I didn't watch the match, but I believed that it was tough to forget what happened in the FO and beat Djokovic playing him for the first time on grass. I believe being very good and younger gave him the win today. Hopefully he stays injury
    free.

But it's hard to see him beating Alcaraz in a final ever again. >>>>> why exactly is it hard when he took him to 5 sets and Djoker was one drive-volley away from winning in the first game of the 5th? not like Alcaraz steam-rolled him.
    You're correct. He now has a younger player to be scared of. But that will motivate him more IMO. What record does he have left to surpass? What he'll want to do now is get a few more slams to ensure the slam record won't ever be broken(likely.)
    He can still do that. He has ONE guy who is a threat. Alcaraz has had some injury issues so who knows what will transpire with him?

OK.

I'll be pleased if he wins more. But we'll really have to see. What I >> *thought* I saw while watching the match is not encouraging.

That's a good way to view it. You're must less likely to become a delusional fanatic.

*much* Oh boy, time to go to sleep!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From undecided@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Thu Jul 20 06:20:42 2023
    On Wednesday, July 19, 2023 at 3:09:34 PM UTC-4, Sawfish wrote:

Unless Carlos goes on a real tear I think Novak has a chance of 2 >>>>> more. He played a great Wimbledon and was superb in most of the final, >>>>> especially sets 1, 4 and 5. He was also great in set 2 really, just a >>>>> couple key points didn't go his way. He's human. I still expect him >>>>> to beat everyone else, and who knows he may even beat Carlos at USO as >>>>> there is no calendar slam pressure? I think Novak's slam winning
    window will remain open at least the next 2 slams, and as long as 2025 >>>>> AO. Let's hope Novak has 1 more rivalry with a 3rd goat level player. >>>>> That would be a unique feat. If Novak ends up as all time slam king >>>>> nobody can argue it was because of weak era - Federer, Nadal and

1) He now needs much more rest/recovery time between tournaments, And >>>> yet if he tapers back too much, he also loses the very fine honing of >>>> timing. It's a devil's choice.

2) The length of the majors, two weeks, is sapping. This, especially, >>>> works to his disadvantage. Anyone can say anything they like, but I >>>> watched the final, and there's no doubt in my mind that he moved
    sluggishly for at least the last 3 sets. Really, really had troubles in >>>> reversing direction as compared to *any* other match I've seen him play.
    Not in comparison to Alcaraz, but in comparison to his own level of >>>> play. I'd attribute most of this the being 37 and having played as many >>>> as 7 matches, each of which might take 5 sets of play.

--

--Sawfish

You note that Alcaraz had no such problems, even though Djok was running >> him side to side. In former years Djok, and Nadal, could also make the
    starting maybe 3-4 years ago. I noted it. I did not note this in Djok at >> the time. I noted it, for sure, by the 4th set on Sunday.

ownership of the thought that Djok has not, as they say, lost a step. It >> is, specifically, the stop and reversal: how smooth and quick is it?

Maybe you saw something different; I'll stick with my own observations. >>
    --
    "It was public knowledge that Sawfish was a loner with strong misanthropic tendencies: it was rare for him to even say a word to his dog."
    Let me ask, in all respect: have you noticed a deterioration in Rafa's tennis abilities? If not, fine; if so, what are the differences?

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Doncha know,
    You were raised
    Up in the city
    'bout country ways."

Oh yeah, Rafa (even before the recent spat of injuries) had started to give up on points that were perceived to be tough to get to and reset the point. He also started missing a LOT of his patented banana down the alley and into the court shots. He still
    makes them but his percentage is way down. Djoker on the other hand seems to revel getting into those kinds of acute angle rallies. He loves it, he entices the opponents to go there.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 21 00:57:21 2023
    On 20/07/2023 1:32 pm, Court_1 wrote:

Let's be clear.

I'm NOT talking about how he comports himself between points, appearing
    fatigued for whatever reason, real or feigned.

to a wide winner that they could have routinely kept in play only a few
    years prior.

I haven't watched the match in full but have watched the highlights. I saw Djokovic made uncharacteristic errors. Is that due to age? I don't know but I think he made those errors because Alcaraz is no Sinner and he felt some pressure for once.

To me, whatever he's lost in speed(and it ain't much) and other areas, he's made up for by improving in other areas.

Bingo. You can be a much better tennis player with experience even if
    you are slower. PWL doesn't get this for some reason? Just a hopeless
    Fed fanboy as we all suspect.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jul 20 08:05:52 2023
    On 7/19/23 8:32 PM, Court_1 wrote:

Let's be clear.

I'm NOT talking about how he comports himself between points, appearing
    fatigued for whatever reason, real or feigned.

to a wide winner that they could have routinely kept in play only a few
    years prior.

In honesty, I'd say that toward the end of the match, Djokovich began to
    rally more inside the lines than on the lines. He became a bit
    conservative. In point if fact, he kinda always played the lines
    conservatively (smart man) but it put a bit less pressure on Alcaraz, at
    the same time that age was showing in his own mobility.

Fair enough.

I can easily envision him beating everyone else out there, but I can't
    say that about Alcaraz, at this point. Gun to head, I'd have to vote for Alcaraz.

--
    --Sawfish

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, I have others." ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to undecided on Thu Jul 20 08:10:59 2023
    On 7/20/23 6:20 AM, undecided wrote:
    Barring injury to Alcaraz, the FO was probably Djok's last >>>>>>>>>> slam.Probably true.----Android NewsGroup

I had a dream he's going to end up with 25, with Olympics counted as >>>>>>>> majors but doesn't say he wins it or not. Couple of years ago. >>>>>>>>

It felt a lot back then then when I dreamed it, it felt almost >>>>>>>> certain and kinda too little at some point when hype around him was >>>>>>>> at its maximum, but today it feels about right.

Unless Carlos goes on a real tear I think Novak has a chance of 2 >>>>>>> more. He played a great Wimbledon and was superb in most of the final, >>>>>>> especially sets 1, 4 and 5. He was also great in set 2 really, just a >>>>>>> couple key points didn't go his way. He's human. I still expect him >>>>>>> to beat everyone else, and who knows he may even beat Carlos at USO as >>>>>>> there is no calendar slam pressure? I think Novak's slam winning >>>>>>> window will remain open at least the next 2 slams, and as long as 2025 >>>>>>> AO. Let's hope Novak has 1 more rivalry with a 3rd goat level player. >>>>>>> That would be a unique feat. If Novak ends up as all time slam king >>>>>>> nobody can argue it was because of weak era - Federer, Nadal and >>>>>>> Alcaraz were his rivals : )

1) He now needs much more rest/recovery time between tournaments, And >>>>>> yet if he tapers back too much, he also loses the very fine honing of >>>>>> timing. It's a devil's choice.

2) The length of the majors, two weeks, is sapping. This, especially, >>>>>> works to his disadvantage. Anyone can say anything they like, but I >>>>>> watched the final, and there's no doubt in my mind that he moved
    sluggishly for at least the last 3 sets. Really, really had troubles in >>>>>> reversing direction as compared to *any* other match I've seen him play. >>>>>> Not in comparison to Alcaraz, but in comparison to his own level of >>>>>> play. I'd attribute most of this the being 37 and having played as many >>>>>> as 7 matches, each of which might take 5 sets of play.

--

--Sawfish

You note that Alcaraz had no such problems, even though Djok was running >>>> him side to side. In former years Djok, and Nadal, could also make the >>>> fast reversals. Then you could see Nadal having exactly this trouble
    starting maybe 3-4 years ago. I noted it. I did not note this in Djok at >>>> the time. I noted it, for sure, by the 4th set on Sunday.

ownership of the thought that Djok has not, as they say, lost a step. It >>>> is, specifically, the stop and reversal: how smooth and quick is it?

Maybe you saw something different; I'll stick with my own observations. >>>>
    --

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ >> "Doncha know,
    You were raised
    Up in the city
    'bout country ways."

--Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine
    Oh yeah, Rafa (even before the recent spat of injuries) had started to give up on points that were perceived to be tough to get to and reset the point. He also started missing a LOT of his patented banana down the alley and into the court shots. He
    still makes them but his percentage is way down.
    Agreed. It's exactly what I saw over the course of maybe 3 years.
    Djoker on the other hand seems to revel getting into those kinds of acute angle rallies. He loves it, he entices the opponents to go there.

Yes, but what I said earlier in this thread is that 4th/5th sets was the
    first time I saw bits of the deterioration that we both saw with
    Rafa.The very first time I could say to myself: "he's lost something you
    can *see*"...

Now you may have missed it, or seen it but interpreted it differently,
    and that's fine. But I'll go with my own interpretation.

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Man! I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!"
    --Sawfish

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jul 20 08:15:52 2023
    On 7/19/23 8:33 PM, Court_1 wrote:
    On Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 4:00:41 PM UTC-4, Sawfish wrote: >>>>>>>>>> On 7/16/23 11:34 AM, PeteWasLucky wrote:

free.
    He is going to be very tough for anyone to beat in the foreseeable >>>>>>>>>> future. Barring injury to Alcaraz, the FO was probably Djok's last slam.

But it's hard to see him beating Alcaraz in a final ever again. >>>>>>> why exactly is it hard when he took him to 5 sets and Djoker was one drive-volley away from winning in the first game of the 5th? not like Alcaraz steam-rolled him.
    Because Djok now has someone to be scared of, like Wawrinka. But young, >>>>>> more confident and much better overall than Stan.

OK.

Muchos gracias, señorita!

--
    "Wha's yo name, fool?" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Iceberg@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Fri Jul 21 02:26:56 2023
    On Wednesday, 19 July 2023 at 00:47:12 UTC+1, Sawfish wrote:

I had a dream he's going to end up with 25, with Olympics counted as >>>> majors but doesn't say he wins it or not. Couple of years ago.

certain and kinda too little at some point when hype around him was >>>> at its maximum, but today it feels about right.

more. He played a great Wimbledon and was superb in most of the final, >>> especially sets 1, 4 and 5. He was also great in set 2 really, just a >>> couple key points didn't go his way. He's human. I still expect him
    to beat everyone else, and who knows he may even beat Carlos at USO as >>> there is no calendar slam pressure? I think Novak's slam winning
    window will remain open at least the next 2 slams, and as long as 2025 >>> AO. Let's hope Novak has 1 more rivalry with a 3rd goat level player. >>> That would be a unique feat. If Novak ends up as all time slam king

sluggishly for at least the last 3 sets. Really, really had troubles in >> reversing direction as compared to *any* other match I've seen him play. >> Not in comparison to Alcaraz, but in comparison to his own level of
    play. I'd attribute most of this the being 37 and having played as many >> as 7 matches, each of which might take 5 sets of play.

--

--Sawfish

fast reversals. Then you could see Nadal having exactly this trouble starting maybe 3-4 years ago. I noted it. I did not note this in Djok at

You're of course free to disagree, So far as I'm concerned, you have ownership of the thought that Djok has not, as they say, lost a step. It

examples can remember of what you describe are what Tuan said, eg. when Djoker hit a very good angled shot at Alcaraz(can remember one particular point where he was near the net and this happened) but Alkie was faster enough to hit it back, that was
    unexpected cos any other player would've missed. Only thing saw Djoker slower at was serving, least compared to the Hurcatz/Sinner matches, but it was windy.
    Out of interest do you think then Djoker tanked the 3rd set then to give himself a rest?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Iceberg@21:1/5 to Gracchus on Fri Jul 21 02:32:30 2023
    On Wednesday, 19 July 2023 at 06:17:18 UTC+1, Gracchus wrote:

yes must protest at this, sawfish is clearly lying and obviously just a big Fedfan in disguise!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Iceberg@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 21 02:34:46 2023
    On Thursday, 20 July 2023 at 04:32:39 UTC+1, Court_1 wrote:

Let's be clear.

rally, the older player such as Rafa, and maybe now Djok, loses distance to the ball. Soon they are not able to get back and they lose the point
    to a wide winner that they could have routinely kept in play only a few years prior.

Maybe you didn't see it, or you conclude otherwise for whatever the reason, but I';; stick with my own observation.

yes but did you see his speed in the Hurcatz match? it was pretty freaking good, maybe he was a touch slower vs Alcaraz but saw said this all happened in the 4th set - which Djoker won. Also as you say he was playing Alcaraz who hit the fastest fh all
    tournament didn't he?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Iceberg@21:1/5 to undecided on Fri Jul 21 02:37:05 2023
    On Thursday, 20 July 2023 at 14:20:45 UTC+1, undecided wrote:
    On Wednesday, July 19, 2023 at 1:37:09 AM UTC+10, Sawfish wrote: >>>> On 7/18/23 3:26 AM, Whisper wrote:
    Barring injury to Alcaraz, the FO was probably Djok's last >>>>>>>> slam.Probably true.----Android NewsGroup

majors but doesn't say he wins it or not. Couple of years ago. >>>>>>

It felt a lot back then then when I dreamed it, it felt almost >>>>>> certain and kinda too little at some point when hype around him was >>>>>> at its maximum, but today it feels about right.

Unless Carlos goes on a real tear I think Novak has a chance of 2 >>>>> more. He played a great Wimbledon and was superb in most of the final,
    couple key points didn't go his way. He's human. I still expect him >>>>> to beat everyone else, and who knows he may even beat Carlos at USO as
    there is no calendar slam pressure? I think Novak's slam winning >>>>> window will remain open at least the next 2 slams, and as long as 2025
    That would be a unique feat. If Novak ends up as all time slam king >>>>> nobody can argue it was because of weak era - Federer, Nadal and >>>>> Alcaraz were his rivals : )

1) He now needs much more rest/recovery time between tournaments, And >>>> yet if he tapers back too much, he also loses the very fine honing of >>>> timing. It's a devil's choice.

2) The length of the majors, two weeks, is sapping. This, especially, >>>> works to his disadvantage. Anyone can say anything they like, but I >>>> watched the final, and there's no doubt in my mind that he moved
    sluggishly for at least the last 3 sets. Really, really had troubles in
    Not in comparison to Alcaraz, but in comparison to his own level of >>>> play. I'd attribute most of this the being 37 and having played as many

--

--Sawfish

him side to side. In former years Djok, and Nadal, could also make the >> fast reversals. Then you could see Nadal having exactly this trouble

Maybe you saw something different; I'll stick with my own observations. >>
    --
    Sorry, I did not notice what you're talking about. Djoker had crazy cross court angle exchanges against Alcaraz. He won his fair share of them. They were only a couple of points apart at the end. It could have gone either way. Djoker looked to be
    in charge for most of the match. Alcaraz reacting. I think Djoker would still be fave against anyone anywhere until I see a convincing loss.
    Let me ask, in all respect: have you noticed a deterioration in Rafa's tennis abilities? If not, fine; if so, what are the differences?

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Doncha know,
    You were raised
    Up in the city
    'bout country ways."

Oh yeah, Rafa (even before the recent spat of injuries) had started to give up on points that were perceived to be tough to get to and reset the point. He also started missing a LOT of his patented banana down the alley and into the court shots. He
    still makes them but his percentage is way down. Djoker on the other hand seems to revel getting into those kinds of acute angle rallies. He loves it, he entices the opponents to go there.

always thought Nadal stopped running for literally every point and those % dropped cos he wanted to avoid injuries.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Iceberg@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Fri Jul 21 03:23:02 2023
    On Thursday, 20 July 2023 at 16:11:02 UTC+1, Sawfish wrote:
    On 7/20/23 6:20 AM, undecided wrote:
    On Wednesday, July 19, 2023 at 1:37:09 AM UTC+10, Sawfish wrote: >>>>>> On 7/18/23 3:26 AM, Whisper wrote:
    Barring injury to Alcaraz, the FO was probably Djok's last >>>>>>>>>> slam.Probably true.----Android NewsGroup

majors but doesn't say he wins it or not. Couple of years ago. >>>>>>>>

It felt a lot back then then when I dreamed it, it felt almost >>>>>>>> certain and kinda too little at some point when hype around him was >>>>>>>> at its maximum, but today it feels about right.

Unless Carlos goes on a real tear I think Novak has a chance of 2 >>>>>>> more. He played a great Wimbledon and was superb in most of the final,
    couple key points didn't go his way. He's human. I still expect him >>>>>>> to beat everyone else, and who knows he may even beat Carlos at USO as
    there is no calendar slam pressure? I think Novak's slam winning >>>>>>> window will remain open at least the next 2 slams, and as long as 2025
    That would be a unique feat. If Novak ends up as all time slam king >>>>>>> nobody can argue it was because of weak era - Federer, Nadal and >>>>>>> Alcaraz were his rivals : )

1) He now needs much more rest/recovery time between tournaments, And >>>>>> yet if he tapers back too much, he also loses the very fine honing of >>>>>> timing. It's a devil's choice.

2) The length of the majors, two weeks, is sapping. This, especially, >>>>>> works to his disadvantage. Anyone can say anything they like, but I >>>>>> watched the final, and there's no doubt in my mind that he moved >>>>>> sluggishly for at least the last 3 sets. Really, really had troubles in
    Not in comparison to Alcaraz, but in comparison to his own level of >>>>>> play. I'd attribute most of this the being 37 and having played as many

--

--Sawfish

him side to side. In former years Djok, and Nadal, could also make the >>>> fast reversals. Then you could see Nadal having exactly this trouble >>>> starting maybe 3-4 years ago. I noted it. I did not note this in Djok at

You're of course free to disagree, So far as I'm concerned, you have >>>> ownership of the thought that Djok has not, as they say, lost a step. It
    is, specifically, the stop and reversal: how smooth and quick is it? >>>> Djok labored with that aspect from the 4th on.

Maybe you saw something different; I'll stick with my own observations. >>>>
    --
    Sorry, I did not notice what you're talking about. Djoker had crazy cross court angle exchanges against Alcaraz. He won his fair share of them. They were only a couple of points apart at the end. It could have gone either way. Djoker looked to be
    in charge for most of the match. Alcaraz reacting. I think Djoker would still be fave against anyone anywhere until I see a convincing loss.

--
    "Doncha know,
    You were raised
    Up in the city
    'bout country ways."

--Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine
    still makes them but his percentage is way down.
    Agreed. It's exactly what I saw over the course of maybe 3 years.
    Djoker on the other hand seems to revel getting into those kinds of acute angle rallies. He loves it, he entices the opponents to go there.
    Yes, but what I said earlier in this thread is that 4th/5th sets was the first time I saw bits of the deterioration that we both saw with
    Rafa.The very first time I could say to myself: "he's lost something you
    can *see*"...

Now you may have missed it, or seen it but interpreted it differently,
    and that's fine. But I'll go with my own interpretation.

so if all this happened in the 4th set, yet he still won that set fairly easily 63 and then had a break point in first game of the 5th, what does that mean? after the break in the 5th he prob got slower cos he was so angry/annoyed.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to The Iceberg on Fri Jul 21 05:27:04 2023
    On 7/21/23 2:26 AM, The Iceberg wrote:

--

--Sawfish

examples can remember of what you describe are what Tuan said, eg. when Djoker hit a very good angled shot at Alcaraz(can remember one particular point where he was near the net and this happened) but Alkie was faster enough to hit it back, that was
    unexpected cos any other player would've missed. Only thing saw Djoker slower at was serving, least compared to the Hurcatz/Sinner matches, but it was windy.
    Out of interest do you think then Djoker tanked the 3rd set then to give himself a rest?

Hmmm. I hadn't thought that. But that's where a     lot of experience
    can come in--having the confidence to drop a set to save strength.

I don't know. It went so damned fast. Of course, that's the point of a strategic tank, I'd guess.

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "...and your little dog, too!"
    --Sawfish

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to The Iceberg on Sat Jul 22 01:37:31 2023
    On 21/07/2023 7:26 pm, The Iceberg wrote:

After he lost that 26 minute game yes, 2 breaks down not worth wasting
    more energy on a set he was sure to lose.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05