• So, was today's women's Wimbledon final a choke, or not?

From Sawfish@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 15 13:44:02 2023
    Recently there was some discussion, with the requisite RST disagreements
    and hard-headed "I'll die on this hilltop" intransigence we've all come
    to know and love.

...and we came to no conclusion.

So did Jabeur choke, or was it something else? If so, what?

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "The difference between a democracy and a dictatorship is that in a democracy you vote first and take orders later; in a dictatorship you don’t have to waste your time voting."

--Charles Bukowski ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Sat Jul 15 23:06:48 2023
    Sawfish <sawfish666@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    Recently there was some discussion, with the requisite RST disagreements and hard-headed "I'll die on this hilltop" intransigence we've all come to know and love....and we came to no conclusion.So did Jabeur choke, or was it something else? If so, what?
    --

She perhaps lost a final she "should have won". She wasn't merely a favorite, she had couple finals behind her, and finals in this tournament and was generally more experienced on the surface.

I'd say this is Halep 2017 FO moment.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to PeteWasLucky on Sat Jul 15 23:36:08 2023
    PeteWasLucky <waleed.khedr@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    Sawfish <sawfish666@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r> Recently there was some discussion, with the requisite RST disagreements and hard-headed "I'll die on this hilltop" intransigence we've all come to know and love....and we came to no conclusion.So did
    Jabeur choke, or was it something else? If so, what?-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"The difference between a democracy and a dictatorship is that in a democracy you vote first and take orders later; in a
    dictatorship you don’t have to waste your time voting."--Charles Bukowski~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Before the match I checked h2h and I knew Jabeur will lose.-- ----Android NewsGroup Reader----https://
    piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

3 - 3 right.
    --

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From PeteWasLucky@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Sun Jul 16 00:28:54 2023
    Recently there was some discussion, with the requisite RST disagreements and hard-headed "I'll die on this hilltop" intransigence we've all come to know and love....and we came to no conclusion.So did Jabeur choke, or was it something else? If so, what?
    -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"The difference between a democracy and a dictatorship is that in a democracy you vote first and take orders later; in a dictatorship you don’t have to waste your time voting."-
    -Charles Bukowski~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before the match I checked h2h and I knew Jabeur will lose.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scall5@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 15 20:59:38 2023
    On 7/15/2023 4:36 PM, *skriptis wrote:
    PeteWasLucky <waleed.khedr@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    Sawfish <sawfish666@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r> Recently there was some discussion, with the requisite RST disagreements and hard-headed "I'll die on this hilltop" intransigence we've all come to know and love....and we came to no conclusion.So did
    Jabeur choke, or was it something else? If so, what?-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"The difference between a democracy and a dictatorship is that in a democracy you vote first and take orders later; in a
    dictatorship you don’t have to waste your time voting."--Charles Bukowski~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Before the match I checked h2h and I knew Jabeur will lose.-- ----Android NewsGroup Reader----https://
    piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

3 - 3 right.

Yes, you are right *skriptis; I just now (1:52 am London time) confirmed
    from the WTA website that it was indeed 3-3 before the Wimbledon Final.

BTW, at this point in time the WTA website has not updated the
    head-to-head since the Wimbledon Women's Final.
    --
    ---------------
    Scall5

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to nospam@home.net on Sun Jul 16 07:41:29 2023
    Scall5 <nospam@home.net> Wrote in message:r
    On 7/15/2023 4:36 PM, *skriptis wrote:> PeteWasLucky <waleed.khedr@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r>> Sawfish <sawfish666@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r> Recently there was some discussion, with the requisite RST disagreements and hard-headed "I'll die on
    this hilltop" intransigence we've all come to know and love....and we came to no conclusion.So did Jabeur choke, or was it something else? If so, what?-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"The difference between a
    democracy and a dictatorship is that in a democracy you vote first and take orders later; in a dictatorship you don’t have to waste your time voting."--Charles Bukowski~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Before
    the match I checked h2h and I knew Jabeur will lose.-- ----Android NewsGroup Reader----https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html> > > 3 - 3 right.Yes, you are right *skriptis; I just now (1:52 am London time) confirmed from the WTA
    website that it was indeed 3-3 before the Wimbledon Final.BTW, at this point in time the WTA website has not updated the head-to-head since the Wimbledon Women's Final.-- ---------------Scall5

I wonder why he said he knew who would win, 3-3 revealed it would be Vondrousova?

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Iceberg@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Sun Jul 16 02:32:29 2023
    On Saturday, 15 July 2023 at 21:44:05 UTC+1, Sawfish wrote:
    to know and love.

yes she choked but also got outplayed too, wasn't used to left-handed awkward hacking play on grass by Vondrousova. Have to say until this week didn't think Jabeur had the skills to win a slam, as have always said she's missing something from her game,
    but was very surprised by her QF and SF performance, taking out Rybakina and Sabalenka very good going, she definitely improved, respect to her for that.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to PeteWasLucky on Sun Jul 16 21:06:11 2023
    On 16/07/2023 7:28 am, PeteWasLucky wrote:
    Recently there was some discussion, with the requisite RST disagreements and hard-headed "I'll die on this hilltop" intransigence we've all come to know and love....and we came to no conclusion.So did Jabeur choke, or was it something else? If so,
    what?-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"The difference between a democracy and a dictatorship is that in a democracy you vote first and take orders later; in a dictatorship you don’t have to waste your time
    voting."--Charles Bukowski~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before the match I checked h2h and I knew Jabeur will lose.

Yeah, and I thought she's still a choker at heart so would prob find a
    way to lose it. You can't expect your opponent to hit errors and give it
    to you, have to go out and win it. Kim Clijsters consoled her and said
    she lost her 1st 4 slam finals : )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Sun Jul 16 21:03:08 2023
    On 16/07/2023 6:44 am, Sawfish wrote:
    to know and love.

Yes it was a choke job, reminiscent of Novotna v Graf Wimbledon final 30
    yrs ago 1993

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scall5@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 16 08:36:06 2023
    T24gNy8xNi8yMDIzIDEyOjQxIEFNLCAqc2tyaXB0aXMgd3JvdGU6DQo+IFNjYWxsNSA8bm9z cGFtQGhvbWUubmV0PiBXcm90ZSBpbiBtZXNzYWdlOnINCj4+IE9uIDcvMTUvMjAyMyA0OjM2 IFBNLCAqc2tyaXB0aXMgd3JvdGU6PiBQZXRlV2FzTHVja3kgPHdhbGVlZC5raGVkckBnbWFp bC5jb20+IFdyb3RlIGluIG1lc3NhZ2U6cj4+IFNhd2Zpc2ggPHNhd2Zpc2g2NjZAZ21haWwu Y29tPiBXcm90ZSBpbiBtZXNzYWdlOnI+IFJlY2VudGx5IHRoZXJlIHdhcyBzb21lIGRpc2N1 c3Npb24sIHdpdGggdGhlIHJlcXVpc2l0ZSBSU1QgZGlzYWdyZWVtZW50cyBhbmQgaGFyZC1o ZWFkZWQgIkknbGwgZGllIG9uIHRoaXMgaGlsbHRvcCIgaW50cmFuc2lnZW5jZSB3ZSd2ZSBh bGwgY29tZSB0byBrbm93IGFuZCBsb3ZlLi4uLmFuZCB3ZSBjYW1lIHRvIG5vIGNvbmNsdXNp b24uU28gZGlkIEphYmV1ciBjaG9rZSwgb3Igd2FzIGl0IHNvbWV0aGluZyBlbHNlPyBJZiBz bywgd2hhdD8tLSB+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+ fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn4iVGhlIGRpZmZlcmVuY2UgYmV0d2Vl biBhIGRlbW9jcmFjeSBhbmQgYSBkaWN0YXRvcnNoaXAgaXMgdGhhdCBpbiBhIGRlbW9jcmFj eSB5b3Ugdm90ZSBmaXJzdCBhbmQgdGFrZSBvcmRlcnMgbGF0ZXI7IGluIGEgZGljdGF0b3Jz aGlwIHlvdSBkb27igJl0IGhhdmUgdG8gd2FzdGUgeW91ciB0aW1lIHZvdGluZy4iLS1DaGFy bGVzIEJ1a293c2tpfn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+ fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+fn5+QmVmb3JlIHRoZSBtYXRjaCBJIGNo ZWNrZWQgaDJoIGFuZCBJIGtuZXcgSmFiZXVyIHdpbGwgbG9zZS4tLSAtLS0tQW5kcm9pZCBO ZXdzR3JvdXAgUmVhZGVyLS0tLWh0dHBzOi8vcGlhb2hvbmcuczMtdXMtd2VzdC0yLmFtYXpv bmF3cy5jb20vdXNlbmV0L2luZGV4Lmh0bWw+ID4gPiAzIC0gMyByaWdodC5ZZXMsIHlvdSBh cmUgcmlnaHQgKnNrcmlwdGlzOyBJIGp1c3Qgbm93ICgxOjUyIGFtIExvbmRvbiB0aW1lKSBj b25maXJtZWQgZnJvbSB0aGUgV1RBIHdlYnNpdGUgdGhhdCBpdCB3YXMgaW5kZWVkIDMtMyBi ZWZvcmUgdGhlIFdpbWJsZWRvbiBGaW5hbC5CVFcsIGF0IHRoaXMgcG9pbnQgaW4gdGltZSB0 aGUgV1RBIHdlYnNpdGUgaGFzIG5vdCB1cGRhdGVkIHRoZSBoZWFkLXRvLWhlYWQgc2luY2Ug dGhlIFdpbWJsZWRvbiBXb21lbidzIEZpbmFsLi0tIC0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0tLVNjYWxsNQ0K PiANCj4gSSB3b25kZXIgd2h5IGhlIHNhaWQgaGUga25ldyB3aG8gd291bGQgd2luLCAzLTMg cmV2ZWFsZWQgaXQgd291bGQgYmUgVm9uZHJvdXNvdmE/DQoNClBlcmhhcHMgYSBjbGFzc2lj IGNhc2Ugb2Ygc29tZW9uZSBzYXlpbmcgIkkga25ldyB0aGF0IHdvdWxkIGhhcHBlbiEiIA0K YWZ0ZXIgYSBzdXJwcmlzaW5nIGV2ZW50IG9jY3VycmVkPw0KLS0gDQotLS0tLS0tLS0tLS0t LS0NClNjYWxsNQ0KDQo=

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to The Iceberg on Sun Jul 16 08:11:22 2023
    On 7/16/23 2:32 AM, The Iceberg wrote:
    On Saturday, 15 July 2023 at 21:44:05 UTC+1, Sawfish wrote:
    to know and love.

yes she choked but also got outplayed too, wasn't used to left-handed awkward hacking play on grass by Vondrousova.
    The lefty part was a factor. Vondrousova played a very competent match, allowing herself to be in a position to win, if her opponent faltered.
    Have to say until this week didn't think Jabeur had the skills to win a slam, as have always said she's missing something from her game, but was very surprised by her QF and SF performance, taking out Rybakina and Sabalenka very good going, she
    definitely improved, respect to her for that.
    She's a great tactical player with a command of a large tennis toolkit, compared to many. She reminds me of Barty, but with more tools--but
    mental discipline is not one of them.

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "The difference between a democracy and a dictatorship is that in a democracy you vote first and take orders later; in a dictatorship you don’t have to waste your time voting."

--Charles Bukowski ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05