• Analysis, Djokovic will end up with 26-28 slams

From Ocean Naught@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jun 11 09:39:48 2023
    https://harvardsportsanalysis.org/2023/02/how-many-more-grand-slams-will-novak-djokovic-win/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From jliang70@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Whisper on Sun Jun 11 10:35:20 2023
    On Monday, June 12, 2023 at 3:17:29 AM UTC+10, Whisper wrote:
    On 12/06/2023 2:39 am, Ocean Naught wrote:
    https://harvardsportsanalysis.org/2023/02/how-many-more-grand-slams-will-novak-djokovic-win/

Who knows, but 25 would be fitting. Sure you can't rule out even 30,
    but I think FO will be very tough going forward, no more for him I'd
    say. I still think Alcaraz would have won the semi if no cramps, and
    next yr Novak will be older and slower, and less motivated too.

Alcaraz was getting on top Djokovic in the semi but I think he may have over exerted himself over the
    first two sets to cause him to cramp, cramping is not usual for Alcaraz.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to Ocean Naught on Mon Jun 12 03:17:19 2023

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?Pelle_Svansl=c3=b6s?=@21:1/5 to Ocean Naught on Sun Jun 11 21:20:24 2023
    On 11.6.2023 19.39, Ocean Naught wrote:

"I published an article at the end of 2020 making an analytical case for
    Djoker as the GOAT. At the time he had 17 Slams, but the argument for
    his greatness extends beyond pure Slam count with him having the highest
    peak performance of the Big 3, the most longevity, the best head-to-head record, and the most versatility across surfaces".

That's pretty much how I see it. I'm not much of a slam cunt at all. The
    23 is great and all that, but at the end of the day
    its value for me is that it makes the slam count coincide with the above.

If somebody has to be the GOAT and has to have the count to show for it, Novak's the guy. The 23 belongs to him, so congrats.

--
    "And off they went, from here to there,
    The bear, the bear, and the maiden fair"
    -- Traditional

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From No Buyout@21:1/5 to Whisper on Sun Jun 11 11:50:51 2023
    On Sunday, June 11, 2023 at 1:17:29 PM UTC-4, Whisper wrote:

He should definitely go for 30 if he can. Fed, Nadal, and Djoker were each unfortunate to play in an era with the other 2 guys. If there weren't the other 2 guys, Djokovic could have 30 Grand Slams right now, and maybe retire with 35. In the future,
    there will be some guy as good or better than Djokovic, but without rivals like Federer and Nadal, and he could maybe win 35-40 Grand Slams.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to No Buyout on Sun Jun 11 21:37:24 2023
    No Buyout <nobuyout@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    On Sunday, June 11, 2023 at 1:17:29 PM UTC-4, Whisper wrote:> On 12/06/2023 2:39 am, Ocean Naught wrote: > > https://harvardsportsanalysis.org/2023/02/how-many-more-grand-slams-will-novak-djokovic-win/ > > > Who knows, but 25 would be fitting. Sure
    you can't rule out even 30, > but I think FO will be very tough going forward, no more for him I'd > say. I still think Alcaraz would have won the semi if no cramps, and > next yr Novak will be older and slower, and less motivated too.He should
    definitely go for 30 if he can. Fed, Nadal, and Djoker were each unfortunate to play in an era with the other 2 guys. If there weren't the other 2 guys, Djokovic could have 30 Grand Slams right now, and maybe retire with 35. In the future, there will be
    some guy as good or better than Djokovic, but without rivals like Federer and Nadal, and he could maybe win 35-40 Grand Slams.

Nope.

When Djokovic says he thanks Federer and Nadal for making him the way he is, and when Nadal was saying that about Federer and vice-versa earlier, they mean it.

Without them, without each other, those guys would not reach those heights imo. Surely they would also lack motivation to an extent.

It's one thing to go after some archaic record from history books, and quite another thing to have a real rival in front of you fighting together with you for the records.

Sampras didn't even know who William Renshaw was, and luckily he knew Emerson. But he was done in his mind. Serena also lacked rivals mid-career and instead of chasing records, she explored fashion.

So a lone wolf type (Sampras, Serena, Willis Moody, Court) might appear, but I sincerely doubt they could last long enough without the push from their rivals.

And the push of this sort, the big 3 era, and frankly big 4 with Murray, what we had, that will surely never be repeated.

It's just statistically unrealistic.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Kalevi Kolttonen@21:1/5 to No Buyout on Sun Jun 11 19:28:00 2023
    No Buyout <nobuyout@gmail.com> wrote:
    In the future, there will be some guy as
    good or better than Djokovic, but without rivals
    like Federer and Nadal, and he could maybe
    win 35-40 Grand Slams.

I do not believe that at all. I think the general
    level of men's Top 100, or even Top 150, is now
    amazingly high. It is getting harder and harder
    to achieve dominance among this big crowd of
    very talented players.

It is the same in men's doubles now, there are so
    many great teams that compete against each other,
    sometimes winning, sometimes losing, but they
    are not able to win 20 Grand Slam titles. Perhaps
    not even 10 is feasible nowadays.

As long as the money prizes are big and the sport
    of tennis is well respected, there will be lots
    of great players who want to make it to the top.

On the other hand, if something radical happens
    in the forthcoming centuries and tennis loses
    its prestigous position, then maybe it might
    no longer attract so many great athletes, and
    a few top player could then dominate.

As far as I see it, the Big Three has
    served as a Big Inspiration for so many players,
    showing them what superb quality tennis can be.
    I am not sure whether the standard of play
    will remain this high in the future, but
    I expect that the players would always be
    pretty much equal in their skill level, no?

One commentator on Eurosport (a former British
    tennis player, a man I did not recognize based
    on his voice but I know he was not Andy Murray)
    said it well during some match:

"We have been through a freak period of time"

When Pete Sampras quit, the tennis elite was
    pretty much agreed on that his records would
    hold for a very long time. Not one tennis
    expert could have predicted what would happen
    in the near future.

The emergence of Federer, Djokovic and Nadal has
    been something of a miracle in tennis history.
    It is really an insane incident that had to be
    witnessed to be believed!

So when we see Novak Djokovic winning his 23rd
    Grand Slam title today, adding up to his
    incredible set of tennis records, it is just
    one more crazy episode of this "freak period of
    time" that we are living.

It is by no means normal, and I cannot believe
    that someone would win 35-40 Grand Slam
    singles titles, ever.

br,
    KK

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Kalevi Kolttonen@21:1/5 to skriptis@post.t-com.hr on Sun Jun 11 19:45:20 2023
    *skriptis <skriptis@post.t-com.hr> wrote:
    [-- text/plain, encoding quoted-printable, charset: UTF-8, 50 lines --]

On Sunday, June 11, 2023 at 1:17:29 PM UTC-4, Whisper wrote:> On 12/06/2023 2:39 am, Ocean Naught wrote: > > https://harvardsportsanalysis.org/2023/02/how-many-more-grand-slams-will-novak-djokovic-win/ > > > Who knows, but 25 would be fitting. Sure
    you can't rule out even 30, > but I think FO will be very tough going forward, no more for him I'd > say. I still think Alcaraz would have won the semi if no cramps, and > next yr Novak will be older and slower, and less motivated too.He should
    definitely go for 30 if he can. Fed, Nadal, and Djoker were each unfortunate to play in an era with the other 2 guys. If there weren't the other 2 guys, Djokovic could have 30 Grand Slams right now, and maybe retire with 35. In the future, there will be
    some guy as good or better than Djokovic, but without rivals like Federer and Nadal, and he could maybe win 35-40 Grand Slams.

Nope.

When Djokovic says he thanks Federer and Nadal for making him the way he is, and when Nadal was saying that about Federer and vice-versa earlier, they mean it.

Without them, without each other, those guys would not reach those heights imo. Surely they would also lack motivation to an extent.

It's one thing to go after some archaic record from history books, and quite another thing to have a real rival in front of you fighting together with you for the records.

Sampras didn't even know who William Renshaw was, and luckily he knew Emerson. But he was done in his mind. Serena also lacked rivals mid-career and instead of chasing records, she explored fashion.

So a lone wolf type (Sampras, Serena, Willis Moody, Court) might appear, but I sincerely doubt they could last long enough without the push from their rivals.

And the push of this sort, the big 3 era, and frankly big 4 with Murray, what we had, that will surely never be repeated.

I believe this analysis in 100% correct. What we have witnessed is
    something totally crazy that should not have happened. But
    somehow it did.

The tennis fans who lived during this amazing period of time (which
    is still not over as Djoker continues to impress!) can consider
    themselves extremely lucky.

br,
    KK

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From No Buyout@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jun 11 13:30:26 2023
    On Sunday, June 11, 2023 at 3:37:25 PM UTC-4, *skriptis wrote:
    No Buyout <nobu...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r

Nope.

It is not impossible. The record for gold medals was 9, and then Michael Phelps destroyed that record with 23 golds. And the Olympics only takes place every 4 years. OK, so in swimming it was possible for him to win 8 golds in one year, so you could look
    at it as him winning 4 gold medals every 2 years, whereas a tennis player could win 4 Grand Slams every 1 year.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Kalevi Kolttonen@21:1/5 to No Buyout on Sun Jun 11 21:03:23 2023
    It is not impossible. The record for gold medals was 9,
    and then Michael Phelps destroyed that record with 23 golds.
    And the Olympics only takes place every 4 years. OK, so in
    swimming it was possible for him to win 8 golds in one year,
    so you could look at it as him winning 4 gold medals every
    2 years, whereas a tennis player could win 4 Grand Slams
    every 1 year.

It must be admitted that what Michael Phelps did was
    possible, since he did it. But it was one of those
    incredible and almost unbelievable things that were
    not very likely at all.

It is crucial to observe what is the amount of
    competitive athletes in these sports. I googled
    and found out that in the USA, there were approximately
    327 337 athletes who competed in swimming back in 2019.

On the other hand, this URL gives some information
    about tennis players:

https://tennisracketball.com/guide/how-many-people-play-tennis/

According to it, there are 87 million tennis players in the
    world. Unfortunately, I could not find information about how
    many of them play competitively (maybe in local clubs etc.)

In my opinion, practicing swimming must be one
    of the most boring things you can do in your life...
    The great swimmers have great technique. In order to
    get results, I guess they can spend something like
    six hours in the pool during one day. That in two
    sessions, I think.

Maybe not so many people do it?

Practicing tennis is much more fun and many people
    enjoy playing it.

Would it be correct to assume that it is more difficult to
    achieve great results in tennis simply because it is a more
    popular sport, i.e. it has more serious competitors?

I would assume that the money prizes in tennis also make
    it much more competitive than swimming?

br,
    KK

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RzR@21:1/5 to No Buyout on Mon Jun 12 08:21:38 2023
    On 6/11/2023 9:50 PM, No Buyout wrote:

He should definitely go for 30 if he can. Fed, Nadal, and Djoker were each unfortunate to play in an era with the other 2 guys. If there weren't the other 2 guys, Djokovic could have 30 Grand Slams right now, and maybe retire with 35. In the future,
    there will be some guy as good or better than Djokovic, but without rivals like Federer and Nadal, and he could maybe win 35-40 Grand Slams.

LOL

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RzR@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 12 08:22:29 2023
    On 6/11/2023 10:37 PM, *skriptis wrote:

Nope.

yup

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RzR@21:1/5 to No Buyout on Mon Jun 12 08:23:35 2023
    On 6/11/2023 11:30 PM, No Buyout wrote:

Nope.

It is not impossible. The record for gold medals was 9, and then Michael Phelps destroyed that record with 23 golds. And the Olympics only takes place every 4 years. OK, so in swimming it was possible for him to win 8 golds in one year, so you could
    look at it as him winning 4 gold medals every 2 years, whereas a tennis player could win 4 Grand Slams every 1 year.

What Novak did is way beyond anything Phelps did...way beyond

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From No Buyout@21:1/5 to RzR on Sun Jun 11 23:33:49 2023
    On Monday, June 12, 2023 at 1:23:38 AM UTC-4, RzR wrote:
    On Sunday, June 11, 2023 at 1:17:29 PM UTC-4, Whisper wrote:> On 12/06/2023 2:39 am, Ocean Naught wrote: > > https://harvardsportsanalysis.org/2023/02/how-many-more-grand-slams-will-novak-djokovic-win/ > > > Who knows, but 25 would be fitting.
    Sure you can't rule out even 30, > but I think FO will be very tough going forward, no more for him I'd > say. I still think Alcaraz would have won the semi if no cramps, and > next yr Novak will be older and slower, and less motivated too.He should

Nope.

It is not impossible. The record for gold medals was 9, and then Michael Phelps destroyed that record with 23 golds. And the Olympics only takes place every 4 years. OK, so in swimming it was possible for him to win 8 golds in one year, so you could
    look at it as him winning 4 gold medals every 2 years, whereas a tennis player could win 4 Grand Slams every 1 year.

In 2008, Phelps won golds in all 8 events he entered. You can talk if Novak wins the Calendar Grand Slam this year.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From grif@21:1/5 to jlia...@gmail.com on Mon Jun 12 07:33:10 2023
    On 11/06/2023 18:35, jlia...@gmail.com wrote:

Alcaraz was getting on top Djokovic in the semi but I think he may have over exerted himself over the

Commentating on the match for Eurosport, three-time Roland Garros champion Mats Wilander said Alcaraz's style of play means he expends more energy than Djokovic. "It was caused by Novak, only by Novak," Wilander said. "The difference between how Novak
    moves around, even when he's exhausted, and compared to Carlitos is a huge difference. I've never seen this from Carlos, and Novak exposed a weakness in him.

"I think there was tension and stress, for sure. I haven't heard him cramping before; I can't imagine he's not had a great preparation, so I think there was stress, for sure.

"Carlos Alcaraz ran an average of 20 meters up to his cramping part," he said. "They played 155 points, that's 3,000 meters, that's 30 x 100-meter sprints in two hours. He's not walking; he's sprinting for everything. Novak is smoother, and Carlos might
    not read the game as well and has taken way more steps." https://www.espn.co.uk/tennis/story/_/id/37826593/what-went-wrong-carlos-alcaraz-french-open

This isn’t Alcaraz’s first bout with cramps. He had them against Stefanos Tsitsipas at the US Open in 2021 (a match he won), and against Jannik Sinner earlier this year in Miami (a match he lost). He says he’ll try to learn from it. Maybe that
    means better hydration, or not playing with quite as much reckless abandon. But nerves aren’t an easy thing to tame, and the best remedy may just be experience.

That’s something Djokovic obviously has a wealth of, and he showed his mastery of marathon-style tennis yet again on Friday. Even if Alcaraz had remained healthy, Djokovic wasn’t going anywhere. Before this match, I gave Djokovic the edge in
    intangibles, and Alcaraz the edge in shot-making. But through two sets, the Serb showed that he still has plenty of magic, and pop, left in his racquet. That, rather than his veteran status, is what he credited for this win.
    https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/carlos-alcaraz-novak-djokovic-roland-garros-french-open-semifinal-2023

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 12 19:35:09 2023
    On 12/06/2023 4:20 am, Pelle Svanslös wrote:
    On 11.6.2023 19.39, Ocean Naught wrote:

"I published an article at the end of 2020 making an analytical case for Djoker as the GOAT. At the time he had 17 Slams, but the argument for
    his greatness extends beyond pure Slam count with him having the highest
    peak performance of the Big 3, the most longevity, the best head-to-head record, and the most versatility across surfaces".

That's pretty much how I see it. I'm not much of a slam cunt at all. The
    23 is great and all that, but at the end of the day
    its value for me is that it makes the slam count coincide with the above.

If somebody has to be the GOAT and has to have the count to show for it, Novak's the guy. The 23 belongs to him, so congrats.

It doesn't matter what you say, the facts are slams are all that count
    for goat level comparison. Novak's stature with 23 is very different
    from 22 and tied with Nadal. How you felt about him with 17 slams is a
    personal issue for you and of no consequence in the real world.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to No Buyout on Mon Jun 12 19:37:42 2023
    On 12/06/2023 4:50 am, No Buyout wrote:

He should definitely go for 30 if he can. Fed, Nadal, and Djoker were each unfortunate to play in an era with the other 2 guys. If there weren't the other 2 guys, Djokovic could have 30 Grand Slams right now, and maybe retire with 35. In >the future,

If my aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to Kalevi Kolttonen on Mon Jun 12 19:51:19 2023
    On 12/06/2023 5:28 am, Kalevi Kolttonen wrote:
    In the future, there will be some guy as
    good or better than Djokovic, but without rivals
    like Federer and Nadal, and he could maybe
    win 35-40 Grand Slams.

I do not believe that at all. I think the general
    level of men's Top 100, or even Top 150, is now
    amazingly high. It is getting harder and harder
    to achieve dominance among this big crowd of
    very talented players.

It is the same in men's doubles now, there are so
    many great teams that compete against each other,
    sometimes winning, sometimes losing, but they
    are not able to win 20 Grand Slam titles. Perhaps
    not even 10 is feasible nowadays.

As long as the money prizes are big and the sport
    of tennis is well respected, there will be lots
    of great players who want to make it to the top.

On the other hand, if something radical happens
    in the forthcoming centuries and tennis loses
    its prestigous position, then maybe it might
    no longer attract so many great athletes, and
    a few top player could then dominate.

As far as I see it, the Big Three has
    served as a Big Inspiration for so many players,
    showing them what superb quality tennis can be.
    I am not sure whether the standard of play
    will remain this high in the future, but
    I expect that the players would always be
    pretty much equal in their skill level, no?

One commentator on Eurosport (a former British
    tennis player, a man I did not recognize based
    on his voice but I know he was not Andy Murray)
    said it well during some match:

"We have been through a freak period of time"

When Pete Sampras quit, the tennis elite was
    pretty much agreed on that his records would
    hold for a very long time. Not one tennis
    expert could have predicted what would happen
    in the near future.

The emergence of Federer, Djokovic and Nadal has
    been something of a miracle in tennis history.
    It is really an insane incident that had to be
    witnessed to be believed!

So when we see Novak Djokovic winning his 23rd
    Grand Slam title today, adding up to his
    incredible set of tennis records, it is just
    one more crazy episode of this "freak period of
    time" that we are living.

It is by no means normal, and I cannot believe
    that someone would win 35-40 Grand Slam
    singles titles, ever.

br,
    KK

You never know when you look at say Alcaraz. I personally would not be surprised to see him win say 2 calendar slams over the next few years.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to Kalevi Kolttonen on Mon Jun 12 19:58:49 2023
    On 12/06/2023 5:45 am, Kalevi Kolttonen wrote:
    *skriptis <skriptis@post.t-com.hr> wrote:
    [-- text/plain, encoding quoted-printable, charset: UTF-8, 50 lines --]

Nope.

I believe this analysis in 100% correct. What we have witnessed is
    something totally crazy that should not have happened. But
    somehow it did.

The tennis fans who lived during this amazing period of time (which
    is still not over as Djoker continues to impress!) can consider
    themselves extremely lucky.

br,
    KK

Absolutely. What surprises me also is the emergence of Alcaraz who
    looks to be capable of anything and has unreal potential. Let's see if
    another guy of similar greatness will emerge or if he will be like
    Sampras with no real rivals in his class. Who's that 17 yr old Croatian
    who won boy's singles?

; )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From undecided@21:1/5 to grif on Mon Jun 12 06:25:31 2023
    On Monday, June 12, 2023 at 2:33:13 AM UTC-4, grif wrote:
    On 11/06/2023 18:35, jlia...@gmail.com wrote:

Commentating on the match for Eurosport, three-time Roland Garros champion Mats Wilander said Alcaraz's style of play means he expends more energy than Djokovic. "It was caused by Novak, only by Novak," Wilander said. "The difference between how Novak
    moves around, even when he's exhausted, and compared to Carlitos is a huge difference. I've never seen this from Carlos, and Novak exposed a weakness in him.

"I think there was tension and stress, for sure. I haven't heard him cramping before; I can't imagine he's not had a great preparation, so I think there was stress, for sure.

"Carlos Alcaraz ran an average of 20 meters up to his cramping part," he said. "They played 155 points, that's 3,000 meters, that's 30 x 100-meter sprints in two hours. He's not walking; he's sprinting for everything. Novak is smoother, and Carlos
    might not read the game as well and has taken way more steps."
    https://www.espn.co.uk/tennis/story/_/id/37826593/what-went-wrong-carlos-alcaraz-french-open

This isn’t Alcaraz’s first bout with cramps. He had them against Stefanos Tsitsipas at the US Open in 2021 (a match he won), and against Jannik Sinner earlier this year in Miami (a match he lost). He says he’ll try to learn from it. Maybe that
    means better hydration, or not playing with quite as much reckless abandon. But nerves aren’t an easy thing to tame, and the best remedy may just be experience.

That’s something Djokovic obviously has a wealth of, and he showed his mastery of marathon-style tennis yet again on Friday. Even if Alcaraz had remained healthy, Djokovic wasn’t going anywhere. Before this match, I gave Djokovic the edge in
    intangibles, and Alcaraz the edge in shot-making. But through two sets, the Serb showed that he still has plenty of magic, and pop, left in his racquet. That, rather than his veteran status, is what he credited for this win.
    https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/carlos-alcaraz-novak-djokovic-roland-garros-french-open-semifinal-2023
    My opinion is that guys like Alcaraz and Rune have massive legs (compared to the rest of their body) and that provide acceleration and power but large muscles tend to consume energy&nutrients and take a lot longer to get replenished back to the levels
    needed to continue operating at peak. I think both of those guys will suffer with fatigue issues in BO5. I am not saying tennis player should not have big leg muscles, of course they should, it's just that I see Alcaraz&Rune quads/hams as a bit too large
    for his size.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to No Buyout on Mon Jun 12 06:45:11 2023
    On 6/11/23 11:33 PM, No Buyout wrote:
    On Sunday, June 11, 2023 at 1:17:29 PM UTC-4, Whisper wrote:> On 12/06/2023 2:39 am, Ocean Naught wrote: > > https://harvardsportsanalysis.org/2023/02/how-many-more-grand-slams-will-novak-djokovic-win/ > > > Who knows, but 25 would be fitting.
    Sure you can't rule out even 30, > but I think FO will be very tough going forward, no more for him I'd > say. I still think Alcaraz would have won the semi if no cramps, and > next yr Novak will be older and slower, and less motivated too.He should

Nope.

In 2008, Phelps won golds in all 8 events he entered. You can talk if Novak wins the Calendar Grand Slam this year.

I agree 100%.

We can't start talking about GOAT for Djokovich until he has won some
    Olympic gold in swimming.

It's so obvious that I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet...

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It was public knowledge that Sawfish was a loner with strong misanthropic tendencies: it was rare for him to even say a word to his dog."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From No Buyout@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Tue Jun 13 00:22:03 2023
    On Monday, June 12, 2023 at 9:45:14 AM UTC-4, Sawfish wrote:

Nope.

It is not impossible. The record for gold medals was 9, and then Michael Phelps destroyed that record with 23 golds. And the Olympics only takes place every 4 years. OK, so in swimming it was possible for him to win 8 golds in one year, so you
    could look at it as him winning 4 gold medals every 2 years, whereas a tennis player could win 4 Grand Slams every 1 year.

I agree 100%.

We can't start talking about GOAT for Djokovich until he has won some Olympic gold in swimming.

Not sure you are following. Djokovic is the GOAT in tennis for sure in my mind. The only man to win all 4 Slams at least three times.

But his accomplishments aren't quite as impressive as what Phelps did. Djokovic has done something amazing, but at the same time it's not that amazing since 2 other players have almost accomplished what he has accomplished. After winning 23 Slams, he has
    only 1 more Slam (4% more) than the second place person, and only 3 more Slams (15% more) than the third place person. Phelps has 23 golds, which is 155% more than the second place swimmer (9 golds).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to No Buyout on Tue Jun 13 06:11:38 2023
    On 6/13/23 12:22 AM, No Buyout wrote:

Nope.

It is not impossible. The record for gold medals was 9, and then Michael Phelps destroyed that record with 23 golds. And the Olympics only takes place every 4 years. OK, so in swimming it was possible for him to win 8 golds in one year, so you
    could look at it as him winning 4 gold medals every 2 years, whereas a tennis player could win 4 Grand Slams every 1 year.

I agree 100%.

Not sure you are following. Djokovic is the GOAT in tennis for sure in my mind. The only man to win all 4 Slams at least three times.

But his accomplishments aren't quite as impressive as what Phelps did. Djokovic has done something amazing, but at the same time it's not that amazing since 2 other players have almost accomplished what he has accomplished. After winning 23 Slams, he
    has only 1 more Slam (4% more) than the second place person, and only 3 more Slams (15% more) than the third place person. Phelps has 23 golds, which is 155% more than the second place swimmer (9 golds).

Just to be sure we're comparing apples to apples, how many of Phelps'
    Olympic gold medals were for *individual* events?

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Favorite tattoo:

BORN TOULOUSE

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Wed Jun 14 20:53:05 2023
    On 13/06/2023 11:11 pm, Sawfish wrote:
    On 6/13/23 12:22 AM, No Buyout wrote:
    On Sunday, June 11, 2023 at 1:17:29 PM UTC-4, Whisper wrote:> On >>>>>>>> 12/06/2023 2:39 am, Ocean Naught wrote: > >
    https://harvardsportsanalysis.org/2023/02/how-many-more-grand-slams-will-novak-djokovic-win/ > > > Who knows, but 25 would be fitting. Sure you can't rule out even 30, > but I think FO will be very tough going forward, no more for him I'd > say.
    I still think Alcaraz would have won the semi if no cramps, and > next yr Novak will be older and slower, and less motivated too.He should definitely go for 30 if he can. Fed, Nadal, and Djoker were each unfortunate to play in an era with the other 2
    guys. If there weren't the other 2 guys, Djokovic could have 30 Grand Slams right now, and maybe retire with 35. In the future, there will be some guy as good or better than Djokovic, but without rivals like Federer and Nadal, and he could maybe win 35-
    40 Grand Slams.

Nope.

When Djokovic says he thanks Federer and Nadal for making him the >>>>>>> way he is, and when Nadal was saying that about Federer and
    vice-versa earlier, they mean it.

Without them, without each other, those guys would not reach
    those heights imo. Surely they would also lack motivation to an
    extent.

It's one thing to go after some archaic record from history
    books, and quite another thing to have a real rival in front of
    you fighting together with you for the records.

Sampras didn't even know who William Renshaw was, and luckily he >>>>>>> knew Emerson. But he was done in his mind. Serena also lacked
    rivals mid-career and instead of chasing records, she explored
    fashion.

So a lone wolf type (Sampras, Serena, Willis Moody, Court) might >>>>>>> appear, but I sincerely doubt they could last long enough without >>>>>>> the push from their rivals.

And the push of this sort, the big 3 era, and frankly big 4 with >>>>>>> Murray, what we had, that will surely never be repeated.

It is not impossible. The record for gold medals was 9, and then
    Michael Phelps destroyed that record with 23 golds. And the
    Olympics only takes place every 4 years. OK, so in swimming it was >>>>>> possible for him to win 8 golds in one year, so you could look at
    it as him winning 4 gold medals every 2 years, whereas a tennis
    player could win 4 Grand Slams every 1 year.

In 2008, Phelps won golds in all 8 events he entered. You can talk
    if Novak wins the Calendar Grand Slam this year.
    I agree 100%.

Not sure you are following. Djokovic is the GOAT in tennis for sure in
    my mind. The only man to win all 4 Slams at least three times.

But his accomplishments aren't quite as impressive as what Phelps did.
    Djokovic has done something amazing, but at the same time it's not
    that amazing since 2 other players have almost accomplished what he
    has accomplished. After winning 23 Slams, he has only 1 more Slam (4%
    more) than the second place person, and only 3 more Slams (15% more)
    than the third place person. Phelps has 23 golds, which is 155% more
    than the second place swimmer (9 golds).

Just to be sure we're comparing apples to apples, how many of Phelps'
    Olympic gold medals were for *individual* events?

Yes, and didn't he have weird flipper feet which means his wins are
    worthless like that professor suggests re Novak's flexibility?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MBDunc@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Thu Jun 15 09:13:10 2023
    On Tuesday, June 13, 2023 at 4:11:42 PM UTC+3, Sawfish wrote:

But his accomplishments aren't quite as impressive as what Phelps did. Djokovic has done something amazing, but at the same time it's not that amazing since 2 other players have almost accomplished what he has accomplished. After winning 23 Slams, he
    has only 1 more Slam (4% more) than the second place person, and only 3 more Slams (15% more) than the third place person. Phelps has 23 golds, which is 155% more than the second place swimmer (9 golds).

Just to be sure we're comparing apples to apples, how many of Phelps' Olympic gold medals were for *individual* events?

Swimmers and Gymnastics have luxury to have a half dozen events to get medals at each event.

But Phelps' records actually made Olympic Gold value less. Inflation for Olympic Gold had already started big 80/90:ies. They should reboot whole system and start with basics....?

Does anyone know Phelps' Olympic gold digit without looking it up? (I bet 99,9% does not know even with -1/+1 handicap).

.mikko

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MBDunc@21:1/5 to Whisper on Thu Jun 15 09:20:19 2023
    On Wednesday, June 14, 2023 at 1:53:18 PM UTC+3, Whisper wrote:
    Yes, and didn't he have weird flipper feet which means his wins are worthless like that professor suggests re Novak's flexibility?

Phelps physique cannot be learned. It is like requiring Karlovic serves from one-foot smaller.

But you can train flexibility and train benefit out of it if you have some grounds for it?

Sampras had double-jointed shoulder. Borg had athlete physics for any sport (his heart pump rate 32/min), Fed had laser-surgeried 20/20 eyes, Nadal had hair transplant..... everyone maximmises their physics to maximum?

.mikko

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05