• Joker defeats Alcaraz, will play for 23rd GS title

From stephenj@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 9 11:32:57 2023
    After Alcaraz cramped up it was over and dull.

I recall that in the locker room before the match, Alca seemed to be
    burning a lot of energy, jumping around, practicing air swings, etc. I
    thought "gee, this guy is burning that fuel and he has a 5 set match vs
    joker on the table".

Not sure if this contributed to cramps or not but maybe when you are 19
    you don't worry about such things.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From PeteWasLucky@21:1/5 to Two-pack on Fri Jun 9 14:12:09 2023
    Two-pack <orkon.welk@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    On Friday, June 9, 2023 at 11:32:58AM UTC-5, stephenj wrote:> After Alcaraz cramped up it was over and dull. > > I recall that in the locker room before the match, Alca seemed to be > burning a lot of energy, jumping around, practicing air swings, etc.
    I > thought "gee, this guy is burning that fuel and he has a 5 set match vs > joker on the table". > > Not sure if this contributed to cramps or not but maybe when you are 19 > you don't worry about such things.Weren't there complaints about Djoker/
    Alcaraz being the afternoon match instead of the evening match? Given how hot it was, would that maybe have made a difference in what happened? We'll never know.Oh well, awesome match until the cramping.

Maybe Alcaraz will learn one day the difference between marathon and sprints running. This is where Nadal, djok and Federer made it very difficult.
    --

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Two-pack@21:1/5 to stephenj on Fri Jun 9 10:18:07 2023
    On Friday, June 9, 2023 at 11:32:58 AM UTC-5, stephenj wrote:

burning a lot of energy, jumping around, practicing air swings, etc. I thought "gee, this guy is burning that fuel and he has a 5 set match vs joker on the table".

Weren't there complaints about Djoker/Alcaraz being the afternoon match instead of the evening match? Given how hot it was, would that maybe have made a difference in what happened? We'll never know.
    Oh well, awesome match until the cramping.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From grif@21:1/5 to stephenj on Fri Jun 9 22:17:11 2023
    On 09/06/2023 17:32, stephenj wrote:

I recall that in the locker room before the match, Alca seemed to be burning a lot of energy, jumping around, practicing air swings, etc. I thought "gee, this guy is burning that fuel and he has a 5 set match vs joker on the table".

Not sure if this contributed to cramps or not but maybe when you are 19 you don't worry about such things.

https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/carlos-alcaraz-novak-djokovic-roland-garros-french-open-semifinal-2023

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to PeteWasLucky on Sat Jun 10 09:39:03 2023
    On 10/06/2023 4:12 am, PeteWasLucky wrote:
    Two-pack <orkon.welk@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    On Friday, June 9, 2023 at 11:32:58AM UTC-5, stephenj wrote:> After Alcaraz cramped up it was over and dull. > > I recall that in the locker room before the match, Alca seemed to be > burning a lot of energy, jumping around, practicing air swings,
    etc. I > thought "gee, this guy is burning that fuel and he has a 5 set match vs > joker on the table". > > Not sure if this contributed to cramps or not but maybe when you are 19 > you don't worry about such things.Weren't there complaints about Djoker/
    Alcaraz being the afternoon match instead of the evening match? Given how hot it was, would that maybe have made a difference in what happened? We'll never know.Oh well, awesome match until the cramping.

Maybe Alcaraz will learn one day the difference between marathon and sprints running. This is where Nadal, djok and Federer made it very difficult.

He needs to experience it to learn from it. How many slams did Djoker
    pull out of at similar age? 5?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to stephenj on Sat Jun 10 09:37:47 2023
    On 10/06/2023 2:32 am, stephenj wrote:

burning a lot of energy, jumping around, practicing air swings, etc. I thought "gee, this guy is burning that fuel and he has a 5 set match vs
    joker on the table".

I was surprised he didn't withdraw, but maybe out of respect for
    Djokovic and the small chance he could recover enough to make it
    competitive? It seemed pointless the last 2 sets.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Court_1@21:1/5 to Whisper on Fri Jun 9 20:17:36 2023
    On Friday, June 9, 2023 at 7:39:19 PM UTC-4, Whisper wrote:
    Two-pack <orkon...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    On Friday, June 9, 2023 at 11:32:58 AM UTC-5, stephenj wrote:> After Alcaraz cramped up it was over and dull. > > I recall that in the locker room before the match, Alca seemed to be > burning a lot of energy, jumping around, practicing air swings,
    etc. I > thought "gee, this guy is burning that fuel and he has a 5 set match vs > joker on the table". > > Not sure if this contributed to cramps or not but maybe when you are 19 > you don't worry about such things.Weren't there complaints about Djoker/

Exactly. Young Djokovic was a flake. Alcaraz is doing better than young Djokovic did at the same age. I don't get all the doom and gloom about Alcaraz's performance today. He's freaking 20! If he doesn't succumb to serious injuries, he will probably
    play for another 20 years!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MBDunc@21:1/5 to Whisper on Fri Jun 9 22:36:10 2023
    On Saturday, June 10, 2023 at 2:39:19 AM UTC+3, Whisper wrote:
    Two-packWrote in message:r
    On Friday, June 9, 2023 at 11:32:58 AM UTC-5, stephenj wrote:> After Alcaraz cramped up it was over and dull. > > I recall that in the locker room before the match, Alca seemed to be > burning a lot of energy, jumping around, practicing air swings,

Djokovic actually mentioned this at FO post-SF interview (that he had early career similar happenings)

.mikko

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Shakes@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 9 22:53:13 2023
    On Friday, June 9, 2023 at 8:17:37 PM UTC-7, Court_1 wrote:

Exactly. Young Djokovic was a flake. Alcaraz is doing better than young Djokovic did at the same age. I don't get all the doom and gloom about Alcaraz's performance today. He's freaking 20! If he doesn't succumb to serious injuries, he will probably

The comparision to young Djok doesn't hold much water. Djok flaked and retired from slams early on in his career because he wasn't as mentally tough and he didn't have the medical/scientific help needed to play his extremely physical marathon style. He
    didn't retire because of expending unnecessary emotional energy to the extent that his body tightened up (literally). Neither did Fed (watch how composed Fed was in his match vs. Sampras in 2001 Wim).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Court_1@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jun 10 17:44:46 2023
    This is going to sound odd for some on here but I'm actually going to be rooting for Djokovic tomorrow. He's convinced me that he's the best Big Three player and he deserves to have the lone slam record along with all the other records he holds IMO.

I still can't stand his on-court BS and his flaky views(on vaccines, water molecules, whatever.)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Court_1@21:1/5 to Shakes on Sat Jun 10 17:40:50 2023
    On Saturday, June 10, 2023 at 1:53:15 AM UTC-4, Shakes wrote:
    On Friday, June 9, 2023 at 11:32:58 AM UTC-5, stephenj wrote:> After Alcaraz cramped up it was over and dull. > > I recall that in the locker room before the match, Alca seemed to be > burning a lot of energy, jumping around, practicing air
    swings, etc. I > thought "gee, this guy is burning that fuel and he has a 5 set match vs > joker on the table". > > Not sure if this contributed to cramps or not but maybe when you are 19 > you don't worry about such things.Weren't there complaints about
    Djoker/Alcaraz being the afternoon match instead of the evening match? Given how hot it was, would that maybe have made a difference in what happened? We'll never know.Oh well, awesome match until the cramping.

He needs to experience it to learn from it. How many slams did Djoker pull out of at similar age? 5?
    The comparision to young Djok doesn't hold much water. Djok flaked and retired from slams early on in his career because he wasn't as mentally tough and he didn't have the medical/scientific help needed to play his extremely physical marathon style. He
    didn't retire because of expending unnecessary emotional energy to the extent that his body tightened up (literally). Neither did Fed (watch how composed Fed was in his match vs. Sampras in 2001 Wim).

My point really was that 20 year old Alcaraz wasn't really for the gargantuan task of beating Pipe Cleaner in a grand slam final just as 20 year old Djokovic and 20 year old Federer had their issues.

Nadal was the only Big Three player who was a virtuoso at 19. It's rare.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Court_1@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jun 10 17:53:43 2023
    On Saturday, June 10, 2023 at 8:40:52 PM UTC-4, Court_1 wrote:
    On Friday, June 9, 2023 at 11:32:58 AM UTC-5, stephenj wrote:> After Alcaraz cramped up it was over and dull. > > I recall that in the locker room before the match, Alca seemed to be > burning a lot of energy, jumping around, practicing air
    swings, etc. I > thought "gee, this guy is burning that fuel and he has a 5 set match vs > joker on the table". > > Not sure if this contributed to cramps or not but maybe when you are 19 > you don't worry about such things.Weren't there complaints about
    Djoker/Alcaraz being the afternoon match instead of the evening match? Given how hot it was, would that maybe have made a difference in what happened? We'll never know.Oh well, awesome match until the cramping.

He needs to experience it to learn from it. How many slams did Djoker pull out of at similar age? 5?
    Exactly. Young Djokovic was a flake. Alcaraz is doing better than young Djokovic did at the same age. I don't get all the doom and gloom about Alcaraz's performance today. He's freaking 20! If he doesn't succumb to serious injuries, he will
    probably play for another 20 years!
    The comparision to young Djok doesn't hold much water. Djok flaked and retired from slams early on in his career because he wasn't as mentally tough and he didn't have the medical/scientific help needed to play his extremely physical marathon style.
    He didn't retire because of expending unnecessary emotional energy to the extent that his body tightened up (literally). Neither did Fed (watch how composed Fed was in his match vs. Sampras in 2001 Wim).

My point really was that 20 year old Alcaraz wasn't really for the gargantuan task of beating Pipe Cleaner in a grand slam final just as 20 year old Djokovic and 20 year old Federer had their issues.

*ready*

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Patrick Kehoe@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jun 10 23:59:47 2023
    On Saturday, 10 June 2023 at 17:44:47 UTC-7, Court_1 wrote:
    This is going to sound odd for some on here but I'm actually going to be rooting for Djokovic tomorrow. He's convinced me that he's the best Big Three player and he deserves to have the lone slam record along with all the other records he holds IMO.

I still can't stand his on-court BS and his flaky views(on vaccines, water molecules, whatever.)

Totally agree; he is record in the major is the best mix of the four tournaments between them and IF he win tomorrow (today), he'll definately deserve a form of seperation from the other two... Nole, Rafa, Fed, Rod, Pete, Andre, Borg, Rosewall, Pancho,
    JMac my short list give or take a name or two --- NO SUCH THING AS THEE G.O.A.T in tennis... Majors NOT slams... :))
    GO IGA! :))))

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to Shakes on Sun Jun 11 18:55:53 2023
    On 10/06/2023 3:53 pm, Shakes wrote:

The comparision to young Djok doesn't hold much water. Djok flaked and retired from slams early on in his career because he wasn't as mentally tough and he didn't have the medical/scientific help needed to play his extremely physical >marathon style.
    He didn't retire because of expending unnecessary emotional energy to the extent that his body tightened up (literally). Neither did Fed (watch how composed Fed was in his match vs. Sampras in 2001 Wim).

That's not a good comparison either. Clay v grass are very different in
    terms of physical exertion. Sampras especially but also Federer played
    more skills-based tennis rather than grinding marathons, far less likely
    to suffer what Alcaraz did in fast 1-2 punch tennis. Alcaraz was super
    pumped for this match and up against the ultimate grinder, no easy
    points. In hindsight it's not surprising what happened. It's very
    rare, but still a possibility in big matches v big opponents. Alcaraz
    looked puzzled and had no idea why it happened. He'll learn from this
    for sure and we'll see a more measured performance from him in future
    big matches.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jun 11 19:29:23 2023
    On 11/06/2023 10:40 am, Court_1 wrote:

The comparision to young Djok doesn't hold much water. Djok flaked and retired from slams early on in his career because he wasn't as mentally tough and he didn't have the medical/scientific help needed to play his extremely physical marathon style.

I think this is just a fluke event in young Carlos' career. The way he
    handled himself proves it to me. This won't derail his trajectory in
    any way imo.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jun 11 19:33:40 2023
    On 11/06/2023 10:44 am, Court_1 wrote:

Not odd at all. I'm usually impartial but it would be great to see him
    get the stand alone slam record like Sampras, Fed and Rafa did before
    him. 4 guys did it in last 23 yrs, we are spoilt tennis fans.
    Hopefully he breaks Court's record too and gets to 25, could do it with
    a calendar slam this yr : )

What a great, goat like way to retire from tennis - just after a
    calendar slam. That would trump Sampras' exit : ). Of course no way
    would Djoker retire if he's still winning slams, he wants to break the Wimbledon record too which he can do by next yr.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?Pelle_Svansl=c3=b6s?=@21:1/5 to Whisper on Sun Jun 11 18:29:11 2023
    On 11.6.2023 11.55, Whisper wrote:
    On 10/06/2023 3:53 pm, Shakes wrote:
    On Friday, June 9, 2023 at 11:32:58 AM UTC-5, stephenj wrote:>
    After Alcaraz cramped up it was over and dull. > > I recall that
    in the locker room before the match, Alca seemed to be > burning a >>>>>> lot of energy, jumping around, practicing air swings, etc. I >
    thought "gee, this guy is burning that fuel and he has a 5 set
    match vs > joker on the table". > > Not sure if this contributed
    to cramps or not but maybe when you are 19 > you don't worry about >>>>>> such things.Weren't there complaints about Djoker/Alcaraz being
    the afternoon match instead of the evening match? Given how hot it >>>>>> was, would that maybe have made a difference in what happened?
    We'll never know.Oh well, awesome match until the cramping.

Maybe Alcaraz will learn one day the difference between marathon
    and sprints running. This is where Nadal, djok and Federer made it
    very difficult.
    Exactly. Young Djokovic was a flake. Alcaraz is doing better than
    young Djokovic did at the same age. I don't get all the doom and
    gloom about Alcaraz's performance today. He's freaking 20! If he
    doesn't succumb to serious injuries, he will probably play for
    another 20 years!

The comparision to young Djok doesn't hold much water. Djok flaked and
    retired from slams early on in his career because he wasn't as
    mentally tough and he didn't have the medical/scientific help needed
    to play his extremely physical >marathon style. He didn't retire
    because of expending unnecessary emotional energy to the extent that
    his body tightened up (literally). Neither did Fed (watch how composed
    Fed was in his match vs. Sampras in 2001 Wim).

That's not a good comparison either.  Clay v grass are very different in terms of physical exertion.  Sampras especially but also Federer played
    more skills-based tennis rather than grinding marathons, far less likely
    to suffer what Alcaraz did in fast 1-2 punch tennis.  Alcaraz was super pumped for this match and up against the ultimate grinder, no easy
    points.  In hindsight it's not surprising what happened.  It's very
    rare, but still a possibility in big matches v big opponents.  Alcaraz looked puzzled and had no idea why it happened.

I think Djok's bathroom break caused the cramps. Alcatraz was livid when
    it extended. Tension is not good for you.

--
    "And off they went, from here to there,
    The bear, the bear, and the maiden fair"
    -- Traditional

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Court_1@21:1/5 to Whisper on Sun Jun 11 15:27:23 2023
    On Sunday, June 11, 2023 at 5:33:46 AM UTC-4, Whisper wrote:
    On 11/06/2023 10:44 am, Court_1 wrote:

Not odd at all. I'm usually impartial but it would be great to see him
    get the stand alone slam record like Sampras, Fed and Rafa did before
    him. 4 guys did it in last 23 yrs, we are spoilt tennis fans.
    Hopefully he breaks Court's record too and gets to 25, could do it with
    a calendar slam this yr : )

Well, perhaps it may seem odd coming from me because I spent the better part of a decade posting on RST about how loathsome I thought Pipe was. 😄

But I'm no fanatic. I'm a realist. After the Wimbledon 2019 final, it all snapped into place for me. Federer is my favorite player but Djokovic surpassed him. It is what it is. There's simply no way you can deny Djokovic's numbers.

What a great, goat like way to retire from tennis - just after a
    calendar slam. That would trump Sampras' exit : ). Of course no way
    would Djoker retire if he's still winning slams, he wants to break the Wimbledon record too which he can do by next yr.

I'm feeling fairly confident that Djokovic will break Federer's Wimbledon record as well. But that's ok. You don't deserve to keep a record when you've been owned in finals by your major rival. It's as simple as that.

And no, Federer wasn't too old to compete with Djokovic in those W finals as the Federer goons keep uttering! If it weren't for ONE guy--Djokovic, Federer would have had three more Wimbledon titles and easily have been the Wimbledon Goat forever.
    Federer was blowing through everybody else even in his mid to late 30s!

According to Federer fanatics, Federer was ancient at age 28! It's unbelievable how these nutters keep changing the narrative. I'm embarrassed to be a Federer fan when I read their rubbish in an attempt to keep their idol Federer superior.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05