• Muchova wins the first set

From stephenj@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 8 09:23:22 2023
    ... but Sabalenka is really battering her. So farm Muchova's slices and
    defense have been just enough, but not sure if she can sustain it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From jliang70@gmail.com@21:1/5 to stephenj on Thu Jun 8 09:28:58 2023
    On Friday, June 9, 2023 at 12:23:24 AM UTC+10, stephenj wrote:
    ... but Sabalenka is really battering her. So farm Muchova's slices and defense have been just enough, but not sure if she can sustain it.
    Muchova hang in the match, in the 2nd last game she just defended from the middle of the court,
    Sabalenka just cracked with load of errors.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From stephenj@21:1/5 to jlia...@gmail.com on Thu Jun 8 13:29:36 2023
    On 6/8/2023 11:28 AM, jlia...@gmail.com wrote:
    ... but Sabalenka is really battering her. So farm Muchova's slices and
    defense have been just enough, but not sure if she can sustain it.
    Muchova hang in the match, in the 2nd last game she just defended from the middle of the court,

I was happy that Muchova won

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jliang70@gmail.com@21:1/5 to stephenj on Thu Jun 8 11:50:44 2023
    On Friday, June 9, 2023 at 4:29:38 AM UTC+10, stephenj wrote:
    On 6/8/2023 11:28 AM, jlia...@gmail.com wrote:
    ... but Sabalenka is really battering her. So farm Muchova's slices and >> defense have been just enough, but not sure if she can sustain it.
    I am happy to see the all court play of Muchova triumph over the crushing power of Sabalenka.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Two-pack@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 8 12:18:42 2023
    I am happy to see the all court play of Muchova triumph over the crushing power of Sabalenka.

Yes, Muchova's all-court game is nice to watch, but that was the choke of the year from Sabalenka.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to Two-pack on Thu Jun 8 23:21:19 2023
    Two-pack <orkon.welk@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    I was happy that Muchova won> I am happy to see the all court play of Muchova triumph over the crushing power of Sabalenka.Yes, Muchova's all-court game is nice to watch, but that was the choke of the year from Sabalenka.

I didn't watch it, but 6(5)-7 7-6(5) 5-7 is hardly a choke as a loss?

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to Two-pack on Thu Jun 8 23:40:35 2023
    I didn't watch it, but 6(5)-7 7-6(5) 5-7 is hardly a choke as a loss? > Well, Muchova deserves credit for hanging tough down the stretch, but...https://firstsportz.com/tennis-news-aryna-sabalenka-gets-roasted-by-fans-for-bottling-french-open-
    semis-against-karolina-muchova-despite-holding-match-point/

I haven't seen it so I'm not commenting.

But generally speaking I assume choking is fear of losing, e.g. being in a winning position, having a commanding lead and being in control gamewise, and then not winning.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader---- https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Two-pack@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 8 14:48:04 2023

But generally speaking I assume choking is fear of losing, e.g. being in a winning position, having a commanding lead and being in control gamewise, and then not winning.
    --

Exactly.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to Two-pack on Fri Jun 9 00:05:39 2023
    I haven't seen it so I'm not commenting. > > But generally speaking I assume choking is fear of losing, e.g. being in a winning position, having a commanding lead and being in control gamewise, and then not winning.> -- Exactly.

Well I checked the scores, Muhova broke first in set 1 at 4:4 and served for the set, but Sabalenka broke back to 5:5.

So no choke here from Sabalenka, in fact she prolonged the set but she then lost tiebreak.

In set 2, Muhova led with a break from 2:0 and Sabalenka again came back to force a tiebreak which this time she won.

So realistically, Muhova could have won 6:4 6:3 had she just held her serves. You could say she choked since she didn't win 6:4 6:3.

In set 3, Sabalenka made a break and led 5:2, her first lead in a match, but remember, 5:2 with Muhova on serve is just one break.

She won her serve to make it 5-3, broke back to make it 5:4 and won her serve again to make it 5:5.

She won 7:5.

I don't see this as some choke, really. It's just a close match. But in doesn't matter really, it's all subjective.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Two-pack@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 8 14:31:19 2023

Well, Muchova deserves credit for hanging tough down the stretch, but... https://firstsportz.com/tennis-news-aryna-sabalenka-gets-roasted-by-fans-for-bottling-french-open-semis-against-karolina-muchova-despite-holding-match-point/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Two-pack@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 8 15:32:26 2023

I don't see this as some choke, really. It's just a close match. But in doesn't matter really, it's all subjective.
    --

Yes, it's all subjective, and in my subjective opinion it was the choke of the year.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jliang70@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 8 19:49:54 2023
    On Friday, June 9, 2023 at 7:40:36 AM UTC+10, *skriptis wrote:
    Two-pack <orkon...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    I didn't watch it, but 6(5)-7 7-6(5) 5-7 is hardly a choke as a loss? > Well, Muchova deserves credit for hanging tough down the stretch, but...https://firstsportz.com/tennis-news-aryna-sabalenka-gets-roasted-by-fans-for-bottling-french-open-
    semis-against-karolina-muchova-despite-holding-match-point/

--

I was more case of grabbing defeat from the jaw of victory. From having the match point at 2:5 Sabalenka lost 20 of the next 24 points they played, this was against Muchova who was slowed, tired and crapping, was massaging her right leg during the
    change over.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jliang70@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 8 19:54:30 2023
    On Friday, June 9, 2023 at 8:05:39 AM UTC+10, *skriptis wrote:
    I haven't seen it so I'm not commenting. > > But generally speaking I assume choking is fear of losing, e.g. being in a winning position, having a commanding lead and being in control gamewise, and then not winning.> -- Exactly.
    Well I checked the scores, Muhova broke first in set 1 at 4:4 and served for the set, but Sabalenka broke back to 5:5.

So no choke here from Sabalenka, in fact she prolonged the set but she then lost tiebreak.

In set 2, Muhova led with a break from 2:0 and Sabalenka again came back to force a tiebreak which this time she won.

So realistically, Muhova could have won 6:4 6:3 had she just held her serves. You could say she choked since she didn't win 6:4 6:3.

In set 3, Sabalenka made a break and led 5:2, her first lead in a match, but remember, 5:2 with Muhova on serve is just one break.

She won her serve to make it 5-3, broke back to make it 5:4 and won her serve again to make it 5:5.

But you did not see the game at 5:5 when Sabalenka was serving, she had a lead of 40:15 and one commentator in Australia said if Sabalenka win this game it would be game, set and match as Muchova was clearly struggling physically. Sabalenka served
    successive double fault at that point to bring the game back to deuce. I think losing 20 out of last 24 points in this match explain quite a bit about the choke.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From *skriptis@21:1/5 to jlia...@gmail.com on Fri Jun 9 08:07:04 2023
    "jlia...@gmail.com" <jliang70@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r
    On Friday, June 9, 2023 at 7:40:36 AM UTC+10, *skriptis wrote:> Two-pack <orkon...@gmail.com> Wrote in message:r> > > > > I didn't watch it, but 6(5)-7 7-6(5) 5-7 is hardly a choke as a loss? > Well, Muchova deserves credit for hanging tough down the
    stretch, but...https://firstsportz.com/tennis-news-aryna-sabalenka-gets-roasted-by-fans-for-bottling-french-open-semis-against-karolina-muchova-despite-holding-match-point/> I haven't seen it so I'm not commenting. > > But generally speaking I assume
    choking is fear of losing, e.g. being in a winning position, having a commanding lead and being in control gamewise, and then not winning.> -- > > > > > ----Android NewsGroup Reader---- > https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.htmlI was
    more case of grabbing defeat from the jaw of victory. From having the match point at 2:5 Sabalenka lost 20 of the next 24 points they played, this was against Muchova who was slowed, tired and crapping, was massaging her right leg during the change
    over.

Ok then. 20/24 lost points suggests clear drop in level.

Maybe Sabalenka lost her focus playing against visibly hurt opponent? It happens.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 9 17:53:42 2023
    On 9/06/2023 7:21 am, *skriptis wrote:
    > > I was happy that Muchova won> I am happy to see the all court play of Muchova triumph over the crushing power of Sabalenka.Yes, Muchova's all-court game is nice to watch, but that was the choke of the year from Sabalenka.

Not a choke imo. Muchova played great the whole match, never gave Sab
    easy points and went for winners when she could. 1 break lead is hardly insurmountable.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to Two-pack on Fri Jun 9 17:56:45 2023
    On 9/06/2023 8:32 am, Two-pack wrote:

--

Yes, it's all subjective, and in my subjective opinion it was the choke of the year.

I watched the whole match. Fearless hitting all match long, amazing
    effort from both girls. You'd have to be pretty stupid to call it a
    choke, no offense.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 9 17:55:08 2023
    On 9/06/2023 7:40 am, *skriptis wrote:
    I didn't watch it, but 6(5)-7 7-6(5) 5-7 is hardly a choke as a loss? > Well, Muchova deserves credit for hanging tough down the stretch, but...https://firstsportz.com/tennis-news-aryna-sabalenka-gets-roasted-by-fans-for-bottling-french-open-semis-
    against-karolina-muchova-despite-holding-match-point/

They were dead even for 3 long sets, no choke.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to jlia...@gmail.com on Fri Jun 9 17:59:22 2023
    On 9/06/2023 12:49 pm, jlia...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Friday, June 9, 2023 at 7:40:36 AM UTC+10, *skriptis wrote:
    I didn't watch it, but 6(5)-7 7-6(5) 5-7 is hardly a choke as a loss? > Well, Muchova deserves credit for hanging tough down the stretch, but...https://firstsportz.com/tennis-news-aryna-sabalenka-gets-roasted-by-fans-for-bottling-french-open-semis-
    against-karolina-muchova-despite-holding-match-point/

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
    https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/usenet/index.html

I was more case of grabbing defeat from the jaw of victory. From having the match point at 2:5 Sabalenka lost 20 of the next 24 points they played, this was against Muchova who was slowed, tired and crapping, was massaging her right >leg during the
    change over.

Losing a series of points doesn't necessarily mean a choke. Every
    single point played is lost by a player, whether they choke or not.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to jlia...@gmail.com on Fri Jun 9 18:03:31 2023
    On 9/06/2023 12:54 pm, jlia...@gmail.com wrote:

But you did not see the game at 5:5 when Sabalenka was serving, she had a lead of 40:15 and one commentator in Australia said if Sabalenka win this game it would be game, set and match as Muchova was clearly struggling physically. >Sabalenka served
    successive double fault at that point to bring the game back to deuce. I think losing 20 out of last 24 points in this match explain quite a bit about the choke.

So Sab didn't choke going from 5-2 and match point to 5-5, but only
    choked at 5-5 40-15? That means she didn't choke when in a winning
    position, only when it got even.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to Two-pack on Fri Jun 9 17:50:04 2023
    On 9/06/2023 5:18 am, Two-pack wrote:

Yes, Muchova's all-court game is nice to watch, but that was the choke of the year from Sabalenka.

I wouldn't call it a choke, she still went for it. It's not unusual to
    lose from 1 break up in final set.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jliang70@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Whisper on Fri Jun 9 05:47:09 2023
    On Friday, June 9, 2023 at 5:56:53 PM UTC+10, Whisper wrote:

--

choke, no offense.

You got to be pretty stupid to not calling this a choke of sort. But we know you are not that switch on .

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jliang70@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Whisper on Fri Jun 9 05:46:07 2023
    On Friday, June 9, 2023 at 6:03:44 PM UTC+10, Whisper wrote:
    On 9/06/2023 12:54 pm, jlia...@gmail.com wrote:

But you did not see the game at 5:5 when Sabalenka was serving, she had a lead of 40:15 and one commentator in Australia said if Sabalenka win this game it would be game, set and match as Muchova was clearly struggling physically. >Sabalenka served

So Sab didn't choke going from 5-2 and match point to 5-5, but only
    choked at 5-5 40-15? That means she didn't choke when in a winning
    position, only when it got even.

OK, she did not choke wimp, she just served two double fault in a row.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sawfish@21:1/5 to Whisper on Fri Jun 9 08:27:23 2023
    On 6/9/23 12:53 AM, Whisper wrote:
      > > I was happy that Muchova won> I am happy to see the all court
    play of Muchova triumph over the crushing power of Sabalenka.Yes,
    Muchova's all-court game is nice to watch, but that was the choke of
    the year from Sabalenka.

Not a choke imo.  Muchova played great the whole match, never gave Sab
    easy points and went for winners when she could.  1 break lead is
    hardly insurmountable.

This is rapidly turning into an Emma Raducanu debate.

--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

--H. L. Mencken ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to jlia...@gmail.com on Sat Jun 10 09:23:26 2023
    On 9/06/2023 10:47 pm, jlia...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Friday, June 9, 2023 at 5:56:53 PM UTC+10, Whisper wrote:

--

choke, no offense.

You got to be pretty stupid to not calling this a choke of sort. But we know you are not that switch on .

Losing from a break up is very routine, I didn't see any choking. Show
    me the points you think are chokes. They need to look like choke shots
    not regular points. I'm not going to start calling every lost point due
    to error a choke - that's a retarded idea.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Whisper@21:1/5 to Sawfish on Sat Jun 10 09:29:43 2023
    On 10/06/2023 1:27 am, Sawfish wrote:
      > > I was happy that Muchova won> I am happy to see the all court
    play of Muchova triumph over the crushing power of Sabalenka.Yes,
    Muchova's all-court game is nice to watch, but that was the choke of
    the year from Sabalenka.

Not a choke imo.  Muchova played great the whole match, never gave Sab
    easy points and went for winners when she could.  1 break lead is
    hardly insurmountable.

I've seen plenty of chokes, this was not one of them.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jliang70@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Whisper on Sat Jun 10 09:08:47 2023
    On Saturday, June 10, 2023 at 9:29:52 AM UTC+10, Whisper wrote:
    On 10/06/2023 1:27 am, Sawfish wrote:
    > > I was happy that Muchova won> I am happy to see the all court >>>> play of Muchova triumph over the crushing power of Sabalenka.Yes,
    Muchova's all-court game is nice to watch, but that was the choke of >>>> the year from Sabalenka.

I didn't watch it, but 6(5)-7 7-6(5) 5-7 is hardly a choke as a loss? >>>

Not a choke imo. Muchova played great the whole match, never gave Sab
    easy points and went for winners when she could. 1 break lead is
    hardly insurmountable.

I've seen plenty of chokes, this was not one of them.

So has anyone else, that was one of them.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05