• [WR] REVIEW - Big Time Wrestling - 1978: His Name Is Garth Vader (1/2)

From WrestlingRumors.net@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 11 12:44:24 2019
    WrestlingRumors.net

///////////////////////////////////////////
    REVIEW - Big Time Wrestling - 1978: His Name Is Garth Vader

Posted: 10 Jun 2019 11:58 PM PDT https://wrestlingrumors.net/tommyhall/review-big-time-wrestling-1978-name-garth-vader/

Welcome to KB’s Old School (and New School) Reviews. I’ve been reviewing wrestling shows for over ten years now and have reviewed over 5,000 shows. Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, I’ll be posting a new review here on Wrestlingrumors.net, starting today. It could be anything from modern WWE
    to old school to indies to anything in between. Note that I rate using
    letters instead of stars and I don’t rate matches under three minutes as really, how good or bad can something that short be?
    Big Time Wrestling

Date: 1978

Commentators: Chuck Allen, Mark Lewin
    This is a rare occasion where Im totally lost. Big Time Wrestling was a territory that ran for decades in Detroit and was the home promotion of The Sheik (Original, not Iron) and Bobo Brazil. The video I found of this lists
    it as being from the 60s but it looks a lot newer than that, perhaps into
    the mid to late 1970s. I honestly have no idea what to expect here which
    could mean anything. Lets get to it.
    Austin Idol is listed as being on the show and the latest debut date I can
    find for him is 1972.
    Big Red/Jim Widell vs. Fabulous Kangaroos
    Oh now this is really interesting. The Fabulous Kangaroos are the most
    famous tag team that youve probably never heard of. Theyre a team which
    over time has consisted of about five guys who teamed on and off with the gimmick for about twenty five years. The most famous pairing is Al Costello
    and Roy Heffernan but today weve got Costello and Bobby (also called Johnny
    in other promotions) who was billed as Roys cousin.
    Their gimmick is that theyre VERY Australian with boomerangs and bush hats
    and any other stereotype you can think of. They held so many titles that I
    cant list them all and were often billed as champions on arrival, which
    became almost a running bit with them. The originals were pioneers of tag
    team wrestling but by this point theyre a fairly established name. Did I mention Ive wanted to cover these guys for awhile? I have no idea who their opponents are but Red is a fat guy with an afro and a big beard.
    The Kangaroos have a midair arm wrestling match to determine who gets
    things going with Heffernan starting against Widell. They head to the mat
    with some nice technical stuff including Heffernan spinning out of a headscissors. Off to Costello for some right hands before Heffernan comes
    in again for some stomps. The Kangaroos appear to be heels here which
    doesnt feel right for some reason. We get a phone number to call to bring
    Big Time Wrestling to our town with the contact being listed as Pat
    OConnor. Id be surprised if it was the famous OConnor but its hard to tell
    with stuff like this.
    Heffernan cranks on the arms before hooking a hammerlock. Back to Costello
    for an ax handle to the face and some right hands. Big Red tries to come in
    off a blind tag but the actual tag is a few seconds later. How could I have thought Red and Widell were heels? Red is a big fat jolly dancing man. How could that not be a good guy?
    Heffernan tries a slam on the 350lb Red which works as well as you would expect. Red goes after the arm and hooks a hammerlock before asking
    Costello to come in. The big man gets double teamed in the corner but he waddles over to Widell for a tag but the Kangaroos hit the Boomerang
    (catapult into a backdrop followed by an elbow) for the pin.
    Rating: D+. Other than the dancing fat guy, there wasnt much to this. The Kangaroos didnt do much for me, though to be fair they were past their
    primes at this point. This was really just a basic tag match and the
    finisher came out of nowhere while not looking very good either. Not a
    terrible match but nothing memorable at all.
    Red cleans house post match because hes a sore loser.
    Abdullah the Butcher vs. John Irish
    This is joined in progress and the jobber isnt even given a name until
    after the match. Not that it matters as Butcher runs him over and drops an elbow for the pin in maybe 30 seconds shown.
    Post match Abdullah chokes away until the referee tries to break it up.
    That goes nowhere so commentator and wrestler Mark Lewin gets up from commentary and makes the real save with no violence.
    Billy Bird vs. The Sheik
    Sheik has apparently turned face after being a legendary heel in this territory. For those of you unfamiliar, Sheik is basically the father of hardcore wrestling in America and is the real life uncle of Sabu. Sheik
    bites away on the ropes to start but is cheered anyway. Bird is thrown to
    the floor and rammed face first into the buckle a few times before the
    camel clutch gives Sheik a very fast win.
    Austin Idol vs. Steve Cooper
    Idol is a newcomer and your usual self-obsessed heel. He would feud with
    Lawler in Memphis for the better part of ever. A slam gets two on Cooper
    and Idol shouts down that he could do this to Lewin as well. Cooper is
    thrown down onto the announcers table before coming back in for the Rack
    (not the Torture variety but rather Idol driving his knuckle into Coopers temple) and the submission.
    Dory Funk Jr./Pierre LaFiv vs. Kurt Von Hess/Bulldog Don Kent
    Im sure you know of Funk. Kent was another of the Fabulous Kangaroos at
    times but heres hes just a heel. We do however get a clue as to the date
    here as Lewin says Dory Funk Sr. has two sons who won the NWA World Title, meaning this is sometime after December 10, 1975. Dory throws the plump
    Kent down before countering a clothesline into an armbar in a cool looking move. Off to LaFiv for an armbar before the German Von Hess comes in and is easily armdragged down.
    Back to Dory for a headlock of his own before getting caught in a top wristlock. Hess gets forearmed into the corner and its off to Bulldog for
    more armbars. The good guys user both use headlocks on Kent with LaFiv
    taking him to the mat for a bit. Off to Von Hess for some arm work on
    Pierre as we get into what would be called the heat segment today. Dory is drawn into the ring, allowing for some heel double teaming and a chinlock
    from Kent.
    We get the same sequence of the heels drawing Dory in so Pierre can be sent
    to the floor. The heels stay on LaFiv but he finally rolls away and makes
    the hot tag off to Funk who cleans house. A butterfly suplex puts Von Hess
    down and there are some forearms for the Bulldog. Dory misses an elbow and
    gets punched down, only to grab a small package on Kurt for the pin out of nowhere.
    Rating: C+. Nice match here with Dory being the most interesting thing out there. I know its a cliché, but guys like him could just go back in the
    day. LaFiv was nothing special and Kent was overweight, but Von Hess looked good and was a strong foreign heel character. Good little match here.
    Post match Funk gets beaten down and busted open until Terry Funk makes the save. A fan has to give up his t-shirt to wrap around Dorys head. Some
    first aid. Kent and Austin Idol come back out to try another fight but the Funks stare them down.
    Garth Vader vs. Stan Stasiak
    Yes serious, Garth Vader and he wears a mask with stars on it. Stasiak is a former WWF Champion. He pounds away on Vader with his taped up hand (for
    his Heart Punch) before putting on a nerve hold. One good thing here: Terry Funk is called a former NWA World Champion so this is sometime after
    February 6, 1977.
    Stasiak pounds away on the chest before throwing him out to the floor. Back
    in and Stasiak fires off more right hands before letting Vader get back up. They box for a bit before Stasiak takes it to the floor and throws Vader at
    the announce table. Cue Sheik to throw a garbage can at Stasiak, only to
    have Stan hit a quick Heart Punch for the pin on Garth.
    Rating: D. This was rather dull but seriously.HIS NAME WAS GARTH VADER??? I havent seen much of Stasiak but given that his biggest claim to fame is a
    nine day world title reign, there isnt much to see of him on top of the
    world. Still though, I cant get over the name Garth Vader. I think its safe
    to say this is after Star Wars came out.
    Sheik chases off Stasiak post match. Stasiak says after he gets done with Sheik, hes coming for Lewin. Why isnt Lewin the top guy in the company as apparently everyone wants to kill him. Sheik pounds on him with a card
    table but Stasiak wont get in the ring with him. Theyre still chasing each other as the fans want Sheik to take Stasiak apart. Sheik finally gets in a table shot and pounds away on Stasiak, even hitting him with his own Heart Punch. Sheik leaves and Stasiak goes over to the announce table saying he
    was still up but everyone else goes down when Stasiak hits him. Stasiak
    talks trash to end the show.
    Overall Rating: C+. As much trouble as I had figuring out where this was,
    there wasnt a lot of bad stuff on here. This is actually a stacked show
    with a ton of big names and a (for the time) insane three former world champions on the same card. Its not something Id watch week to week but
    still this worked out well enough. Good show here.

Thomas Hall has been a wrestling fan for over thirty years and has seen
    over 50,000 wrestling matches. He has also been a wrestling reviewer since
    2009 with over 5,000 full shows covered. You can find his work at kbwrestlingreviews.com, or check out his Amazon author page with 28
    wrestling books. His latest book is the History Of In Your House.

Get the latest and greatest in professional wrestling news by signing up
    for our daily email newsletter. Just look below for GET EXCLUSIVE UPDATES
    to sign up. We are proud to offer our popular Wrestling Rumors app and encourage you to download it for an optimized user experience. It is
    available for Android and also on iOS. Thank you for reading!

The post REVIEW Big Time Wrestling 1978: His Name Is Garth Vader appeared first on WrestlingRumors.net.

Really Bro? Possible Real Life Heat Between Matt Riddle And Goldberg.

Posted: 10 Jun 2019 11:47 PM PDT https://wrestlingrumors.net/tommyhall/really-bro-possible-real-life-heat-matt-riddle-goldberg/

Really? Contrary to what some people believe, wrestlers are humans just
    like you and me. While their appearances on television may be heavily scripted, they all have various thoughts and opinions on all kinds of
    things. One of these things is of course wrestling and over the weekend, a younger wrestler and a veteran really didn’t see eye to eye on things.

According to Bryan Alvarez on Wrestling Observer Radio, there may be actual heat between Matt Riddle and Goldberg following the main event of Super ShowDown on Friday. Riddle has been taking shots at Goldberg all weekend, including during the match against Undertaker. The match has been
    criticized for various botches and unsafe spots from both men. The issue between Riddle and Goldberg may have began when Goldberg blocked Riddle on Instagram. As of Monday night, some of the comments are still posted.

One such video is still posted. Check out Riddle mocking Goldberg’s technique during the match:
    [This post contains video, click to play]

Opinion: Egads man. I’m really not sure if being blocked on Instagram was what started all this but if that’s the case and this isn’t some sort of a storyline (which I doubt), Riddle isn’t exactly looking great here. I know the match was terrible, but Riddle has been in WWE for less than a year
    while Goldberg and Undertaker are legends. Hopefully he isn’t punished for this, though it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s what happens.

Is Riddle being ridiculous? How far can Riddle go in WWE? Let us know in
    the comments below.

over 50,000 wrestling matches. He has also been a wrestling reviewer since 2009 with over 5,000 full shows covered. You can find his work at kbwrestlingreviews.com, or check out his Amazon author page with 28

to sign up. We are proud to offer our popular Wrestling Rumors app and encourage you to download it for an optimized user experience. It is

The post Really Bro? Possible Real Life Heat Between Matt Riddle And
    Goldberg. appeared first on WrestlingRumors.net.

That Looked Bad. Update On Cesaros Injury Status After Monday Night Raw.

Posted: 10 Jun 2019 11:42 PM PDT https://wrestlingrumors.net/tommyhall/looked-bad-update-cesaros-injury-status-monday-night-raw/

Dodging a bullet. WWE is not doing very well at the moment when it comes
    to injuries. There are several wrestlers banged up and on the shelf, which
    is going to happen at some point to any given wrestling promotion. You
    never know when another of them is going to happen either and that’s the thing that makes them scarier than anything else. Things weren’t looking good this week.

This week on Monday Night Raw, Cesaro was competing in a six man tag team
    match when he took a 630 splash from Ricochet. The splash landed on
    Cesaro’s knee and he rolled to the floor, holding his knee in pain. Cesaro had to be helped to the back and was notably limping. However, after the
    show was over, Ryan Satin of Pro Wrestling Sheet said that Cesaro was not seriously injured.

According to a source, Cesaro was ok when he got to the back and doesn’t appear to be seriously injured. https://t.co/7kj2wmcKJO

- Ryan Satin (@ryansatin) June 11, 2019

This could have been a lot worse. Check out what happened to Cesaro and
    the aftermath:

Opinion: The update helps, though that was one of the nastier landings that I’ve seen in a little while now. Having someone land square on a knee like that is going to look scary no matter what and hopefully the knee is
    nowhere near as bad as it looked. Cesaro and Ricochet are starting to pick
    up on Monday Night Raw and it would be a shame if something happened to
    either of them.

What should be next for Ricochet? If he is healthy, what should Cesaro do next? Let us know in the comments below.

over 50,000 wrestling matches. He has also been a wrestling reviewer since 2009 with over 5,000 full shows covered. You can find his work at kbwrestlingreviews.com, or check out his Amazon author page with 28

The post That Looked Bad. Update On Cesaros Injury Status After Monday
    Night Raw. appeared first on WrestlingRumors.net.

(VIDEO): Bray Wyatts Firefly Fun House Takes A Disturbingly Dark Turn

Posted: 10 Jun 2019 11:38 PM PDT https://wrestlingrumors.net/tommyhall/video-bray-wyatts-firefly-fun-house-takes-disturbingly-dark-turn/

Well that was…..I don’t want to know. Bray Wyatt’s Firefly Fun House segments are some of the most creative things that WWE has produced in a
    long time. You never know what you might be seeing on there, with possibilities ranging from a visit from the Fiend to Wyatt painting to a fitness music video. Then things can get a little more disturbing, which
    was the case in the most recent episode.

This week on Monday Night Raw, Wyatt was back in the Firefly Fun House
    where he got annoyed at Rambling Rabbit. During a speech, the Rabbit threatened to expose what was really going on at the Fun House. This was
    too far for Wyatt, who murdered Rabbit with a mallet and then turned him
    into a bottle of breakfast spread, which was announced as the sponsor of
    this week’s show.

What do you say to this? Check out a rather disturbing episode:

Opinion: I’m not sure what to think about this one, but it’s certainly one of the more disturbing things WWE has done in a little while. I’ll
    certainly give WWE credit for trying something here and letting Wyatt run
    with his ideas. You don’t get that enough in WWE and Wyatt is clearly
    going into a more interesting place with these segments. They might not be your favorite things in the world, but at least they’re creative and different.

Do you like the segments? Where are they going? Let us know in the
    comments below.

The post (VIDEO): Bray Wyatts Firefly Fun House Takes A Disturbingly Dark
    Turn appeared first on WrestlingRumors.net.

The Sequel Upgrade. Stipulation Added To Stomping Grounds Title Match.

Posted: 10 Jun 2019 11:34 PM PDT https://wrestlingrumors.net/tommyhall/sequel-upgrade-stipulation-added-stomping-grounds-title-match/

You have to spice it up somehow. Friday’s Super ShowDown event featured a Universal Title match with champion Seth Rollins defending against Baron Corbin. Rollins successfully defended the title via some issues Corbin had with the referee and that did not sit well with Corbin. As a result, a
    rematch was set up for Stomping Grounds but there is going to be a little twist.

This week on Monday Night Raw, Corbin announced that he will be allowed to select a special guest referee for the rematch against Rollins at Stomping Grounds. During the show, Sami Zayn auditioned for the role but by the end
    of the night, Corbin had not made his decision on who will be guest
    referee. While not confirmed, the most likely time for the decision will
    be next week on Monday Night Raw.

It was quite the starting point. Check out Corbin’s announcement of the stipulation:

Opinion: I’m not sure how much interest there is in a match like this so adding in a stipulation is about all you can expect WWE to do. Corbin has never been the strongest challenger in the world and Rollins doesn’t feel like he’s in any real danger against him. The special referee could make things better, but it’s going to depend on who winds up filling the role.

Who do you want to be guest referee? Who will it be? Let us know in the comments below.

The post The Sequel Upgrade. Stipulation Added To Stomping Grounds Title Match. appeared first on WrestlingRumors.net.

Must See Video: Jon Moxleys Promo Becomes The Most Viewed Video In The
    History Of New Japan Pro Wrestling.

Posted: 10 Jun 2019 11:31 PM PDT https://wrestlingrumors.net/tommyhall/must-see-video-jon-moxleys-promo-becomes-viewed-video-history-new-japan-pro-wrestling/

That’s how you make an impact. Jon Moxley has been the most talked about name in the wrestling world for the last few weeks. Starting with his
    debut in AEW at Double Or Nothing, Moxley followed it up with a pair of
    heavily discussed podcasts and then moved on to New Japan where he won the United States Title in his debut. Moxley wasn’t done yet though and now
    has another accomplishment under his belt.

Following his victory at New Japan Dominion on Sunday morning, Moxley
    dragged his still somewhat unconscious opponent Shota Umino to the press conference area where he cut a promo on wanting to be in the G1 Climax Tournament. The video, which includes some comedy at Umino’s expense, has already become the most viewed video in the history of New Japan’s YouTube channel with over 2.4 million views and counting, shattering the previous record of about 950k.

Well what else could this be? Check out Moxley’s rather funny promo after winning his match:

Opinion: Well I guess that’s what happens when you get rid of the scripts. Moxley has always been pretty good on the microphone and while this might
    not be the greatest promo of all time, it is certainly the kind of promo
    that got people talking. Moxley is hot right now and it isn’t surprising
    to see that his video became a big one. What is surprising is how big it became, and Moxley is going to stay hot for the time being.

How big can Moxley become? What is next for him? Let us know in the
    comments below.

The post Must See Video: Jon Moxleys Promo Becomes The Most Viewed Video In
    The History Of New Japan Pro Wrestling. appeared first on
    WrestlingRumors.net.

History Has Been Made! Title Change Takes Place On Monday Night Raw.

Posted: 10 Jun 2019 07:42 PM PDT https://wrestlingrumors.net/tommyhall/history-made-title-change-takes-place-monday-night-raw-3/

On any given night. Titles are what drives a lot of the storylines in wrestling. I know that might not seem to be the case all of the time, but
    in theory, wrestlers are wrestling to be the best at what they do.
    Therefore, it makes a lot of sense to have titles be the focal point of a
    show, and that was the case this week. As a bonus though, there were some
    new champions crowned.

This week on Monday Night Raw, the Revival won the Tag Team Titles from
    Zack Ryder and Curt Hawkins in a triple threat match also involving the
    Usos. The Revival had lost the titles to Hawkins and Ryder on the
    WrestleMania 35 Kickoff Show and have been chasing the titles since then.
    The win comes after the Usos defeated the Revival in a tag match on the
    Super ShowDown Kickoff Show.

It’s a long form rematch. Check out the initial title change:

Opinion: I like the ending, though odds are this is just going to be a way
    to advance Reigns vs. McMahon even more, likely with another Usos vs.
    Revival match at Stomping Grounds. That being said, at least the Revival
    are somewhat more likely to be on TV than Hawkins and Ryder, who are the
    most useless Tag Team Champions in at least 64 days. Hopefully this is
    better, though I’m not getting my hopes up.

Do you like the title change? Who will the Revival defend against first?
    Let us know in the comments below.

The post History Has Been Made! Title Change Takes Place On Monday Night
    Raw. appeared first on WrestlingRumors.net.

(VIDEO): Two In One. Here Are Some AEW News And Notes, Including a New
    Fyter Fest Match.

Posted: 10 Jun 2019 05:05 PM PDT https://wrestlingrumors.net/tommyhall/two-one-aew-news-notes-including-new-fyter-fest-match/

It comes with the territory. AEW is in a very unique place in wrestling
    these days as they have the potential to become a major company but they’re running on a limited schedule at the moment. That’s going to change in the future, but for now this is all they have. That means there is still news coming out about the company and some of it is going to mean a little
    something going forward.

On the latest episode of Being The Elite, an announcement was made and a
    match was set up for Fyter Fest. During the show, it was announced that
    the tag team formerly known as the Super Smash Bros, the duo who attacked
    the Best Friends at Double Or Nothing, will now be known as the Dark
    Order. On the same show, it was announced that Fyter Fest will feature a
    four way match between Jungle Boy, Hangman Page, Joey Janela and Maxwell
    Jacob Friedman.

There’s a lot in here. Check out the latest edition of Being The Elite: [This post contains video, click to play]

Opinion: It’s a good sign that the company is still doing things to keep themselves in the news. They have a nice way to keep making some noise,
    even if it’s nothing all that interesting. Being The Elite helps a lot as well as it offers a unique way of presenting these announcements. Having a scripted series instead of sending out a press release or someone standing
    in front of an AEW logo to announce these things make for a more
    interesting presentation and that helps a lot.

Who do you think wins the match? Do you like the new name? Let us know in
    the comments below.

The post (VIDEO): Two In One. Here Are Some AEW News And Notes, Including
    a New Fyter Fest Match. appeared first on WrestlingRumors.net.

Monday Night Raw Live Coverage And Results - June 10, 2019

Posted: 10 Jun 2019 04:58 PM PDT https://wrestlingrumors.net/tommyhall/monday-night-raw-live-coverage-results-june-10-2019/

Monday Night Raw

Date: June 10, 2019

Commentators: Michael Cole, Corey Graves, Renee Young

They really have to go to California three days after an international
    trip? Anyway, it’s time to start the short road to Stomping Grounds as we’re finally past Super ShowDown. What’s up next? Well that would be a bunch of Super ShowDown rematches as WWE probably thinks you didn’t watch
    the show and NEED to see their brilliant ideas at work. It’s turned into a bit of a game to see how bad Raw can get these days so maybe we can hit a
    new low score. Let’s get to it.

Here’s Seth Rollins, carrying a chair, to get things going, but first we
    need to look at him retaining the Universal Title over Baron Corbin and thwarting Brock Lesnar’s cash-in attempt at Super ShowDown. Rollins talks about it being a new era for the Universal Title (even though we’re in the exact same place we were two weeks ago) because everyone is trying to take
    the title from him.

They can do it by wrestling him but no one can lace his boots, or they can
    try it by cashing in a contract, which earns them a beating. No one can do
    what he did to Lesnar but here’s Corbin to interrupt. The fans boo him
    quite a bit as Corbin says he’ll worry about Lesnar after he wins the title at Stomping Grounds. Corbin blames the referee for costing him the match at Super ShowDown and says that won’t be a problem at Stomping Grounds. See, he’s quite the negotiator and therefore he’s going to get to pick the guest referee for the rematch.

Rollins laughs it off because no one likes Corbin but here’s Sami Zayn to interrupt. Sami thinks it would be better for everyone, including Rollins,
    if Corbin was champion. If that was the case, we would have a champion who isn’t completely obsessed with Brock Lesnar. Rollins doesn’t buy this and thinks there is something in it for Sami.

It turns out that Sami might have been promised a future title shot so
    Rollins wants to come fight now. This brings out Kevin Owens, who thinks he might come to the ring and fight Rollins instead. The match is made for the main event. While it seems pretty clear, Sami was never officially
    announced as the referee.
    Lars Sullivan vs. Lucha House Party

Elimination rules. Sullivan runs Dorado and Metalik over during the
    entrances so Kalisto tries some dropkicks, only to get caught in the Freak Accident for the elimination at 25 seconds. Dorado comes in but his
    springboard hurricanrana is countered into a running powerbomb for the elimination at 58 seconds.

That leaves Metalik, whose handspring is countered into a toss slam.
    Sullivan pulls him up at two and goes outside to gorilla press Kalisto onto
    the steps. Back inside and the Freak Accident plants Metalik….for two as Sullivan picks him up again. Instead he tossed Dorado head first into the
    post, followed by the Swan Dive to finish Metalik at 3:06.

Result: Lars Sullivan b. Lucha House Party Swan Dive to Gran Metalik (3:06)

R-Truth and Carmella get caught by the mob but they go into an elevator
    without the referee. The camera inside the elevator shows it stopping
    between floors. More on this later it seems.

Becky Lynch is getting ready for an interview. Of note: Rollins is with her
    and Cole acknowledges their relationship.

We get a sitdown, split screen interview with Becky Lynch and Lacey Evans. Lacey wants to go first because ladies go first, but Becky talks about
    making Lacey tap at Money in the bank. Sure Lacey should beat her because
    Lacey is bigger and stronger, but Becky isn’t letting someone like her be champion.

[continued in next message]

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)