• One question about tax machinations I have never been able to get answe

From michael anderson@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 12 00:14:58 2023
    So I know a guy who has two 'employed' jobs. He's basically a doctor two different hospitals 10 miles apart hired. He's able to do both jobs. Both jobs pay him on W2. Both jobs take out his end of social security, and both jobs presumably also pay
    their share. And both jobs pay enough so that he easily caps both in terms of social security.....

So here is the question: I think I understand how he can get back the social security taxes that were taken out of his check for one of the two jobs. Because obviously he only has to hit the cap, and so when he files his taxes I guess he can go and
    correct that.

But what about the 'lost' money on that employer part of the social security tax? That's also capped right? Given that, that means that like 8k+ of employer sponsored social security tax was overpaid. But how does the govt keep track of that? And if
    they do, how do they decide how to refund the money? Do both employers get half of money back?

I've always had a suspicion that this money is just 'lost in the system', and basically neither the employer nor the employee gets it refunded......I want to ask him but I don't know him that well so that I would feel comortable just going up and doing
    so.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From xyzzy@21:1/5 to michael anderson on Sun Mar 12 13:31:23 2023
    michael anderson <mianderson79@gmail.com> wrote:
    So I know a guy who has two 'employed' jobs. He's basically a doctor two different hospitals 10 miles apart hired. He's able to do both jobs.
    Both jobs pay him on W2. Both jobs take out his end of social security,
    and both jobs presumably also pay their share. And both jobs pay enough
    so that he easily caps both in terms of social security.....

So here is the question: I think I understand how he can get back the
    social security taxes that were taken out of his check for one of the two jobs. Because obviously he only has to hit the cap, and so when he files
    his taxes I guess he can go and correct that.

But what about the 'lost' money on that employer part of the social
    security tax? That's also capped right? Given that, that means that
    like 8k+ of employer sponsored social security tax was overpaid. But how does the govt keep track of that? And if they do, how do they decide how
    to refund the money? Do both employers get half of money back?

I've always had a suspicion that this money is just 'lost in the system',
    and basically neither the employer nor the employee gets it
    refunded......I want to ask him but I don't know him that well so that I would feel comortable just going up and doing so.

Your question got me curious so I found and skimmed this: https://www.taxnotes.com/research/federal/irs-private-rulings/information-letters/irs-provides-information-on-fica-tax-refund-claims/1wg68

tl;dr just like the employee the employer can claim a refund of excess FICA taxes withheld.

What this doesn’t make clear is how two employers would split the refund in your case.

--
    “I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian, liberal personality.” — Altie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From michael anderson@21:1/5 to xyzzy on Sun Mar 12 13:00:57 2023
    On Sunday, March 12, 2023 at 8:31:28 AM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
    michael anderson <miande...@gmail.com> wrote:
    So I know a guy who has two 'employed' jobs. He's basically a doctor two different hospitals 10 miles apart hired. He's able to do both jobs.
    Both jobs pay him on W2. Both jobs take out his end of social security, and both jobs presumably also pay their share. And both jobs pay enough

So here is the question: I think I understand how he can get back the social security taxes that were taken out of his check for one of the two jobs. Because obviously he only has to hit the cap, and so when he files his taxes I guess he can go and correct that.

But what about the 'lost' money on that employer part of the social security tax? That's also capped right? Given that, that means that
    like 8k+ of employer sponsored social security tax was overpaid. But how does the govt keep track of that? And if they do, how do they decide how to refund the money? Do both employers get half of money back?

I've always had a suspicion that this money is just 'lost in the system', and basically neither the employer nor the employee gets it refunded......I want to ask him but I don't know him that well so that I would feel comortable just going up and doing so.

Your question got me curious so I found and skimmed this: https://www.taxnotes.com/research/federal/irs-private-rulings/information-letters/irs-provides-information-on-fica-tax-refund-claims/1wg68

tl;dr just like the employee the employer can claim a refund of excess FICA taxes withheld.

What this doesn’t make clear is how two employers would split the refund in
    your case.

exactly......and more importantly how would they even know?

--
    “I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian, liberal personality.” — Altie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tim VanWagoner@21:1/5 to michael anderson on Sun Mar 12 16:59:18 2023
    On Sunday, March 12, 2023 at 3:00:59 PM UTC-5, michael anderson wrote:
    So I know a guy who has two 'employed' jobs. He's basically a doctor two different hospitals 10 miles apart hired. He's able to do both jobs. Both jobs pay him on W2. Both jobs take out his end of social security, and both jobs presumably also pay their share. And both jobs pay enough so that he easily caps both in terms of social security.....

So here is the question: I think I understand how he can get back the social security taxes that were taken out of his check for one of the two
    jobs. Because obviously he only has to hit the cap, and so when he files his taxes I guess he can go and correct that.

But what about the 'lost' money on that employer part of the social security tax? That's also capped right? Given that, that means that
    like 8k+ of employer sponsored social security tax was overpaid. But how does the govt keep track of that? And if they do, how do they decide how to refund the money? Do both employers get half of money back?

and basically neither the employer nor the employee gets it refunded......I want to ask him but I don't know him that well so that I would feel comortable just going up and doing so.

tl;dr just like the employee the employer can claim a refund of excess FICA
    taxes withheld.

your case.

--

This has to be a pretty infrequent situation. Only about 5% of taxpayers are above the SS withholding maximum. And what percentage of those have more than 1 wage paying job and aren’t taking any additional income as self-employment, partnership, or
    contract non-wage income.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From michael anderson@21:1/5 to Tim VanWagoner on Tue Mar 14 11:55:20 2023
    On Sunday, March 12, 2023 at 6:59:20 PM UTC-5, Tim VanWagoner wrote:
    On Sunday, March 12, 2023 at 3:00:59 PM UTC-5, michael anderson wrote:
    So I know a guy who has two 'employed' jobs. He's basically a doctor two
    different hospitals 10 miles apart hired. He's able to do both jobs. Both jobs pay him on W2. Both jobs take out his end of social security,
    and both jobs presumably also pay their share. And both jobs pay enough

So here is the question: I think I understand how he can get back the social security taxes that were taken out of his check for one of the two
    jobs. Because obviously he only has to hit the cap, and so when he files
    his taxes I guess he can go and correct that.

But what about the 'lost' money on that employer part of the social security tax? That's also capped right? Given that, that means that like 8k+ of employer sponsored social security tax was overpaid. But how
    does the govt keep track of that? And if they do, how do they decide how
    to refund the money? Do both employers get half of money back?

and basically neither the employer nor the employee gets it refunded......I want to ask him but I don't know him that well so that I
    would feel comortable just going up and doing so.

tl;dr just like the employee the employer can claim a refund of excess FICA
    taxes withheld.

your case.

--
    “I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian,
    liberal personality.” — Altie
    This has to be a pretty infrequent situation. Only about 5% of taxpayers are above the SS withholding maximum. And what percentage of those have more than 1 wage paying job and aren’t taking any additional income as self-employment, partnership, or
    contract non-wage income.

I'm sure it's infrequent overall, but it's not super uncommon amongst physicians who don't own or have equity in their own practice. A lot of internists here, for example, work for two different
    hospitals as hospitalists on a W2. It would be hard to impossible to do with outpatient jobs, but at an inpatient job you could round and chart in the morning at one and then at the other in the afternoon. Especially if
    you are supervising nps too.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05