• In breaking annual tradition this year.......

From michael anderson@21:1/5 to All on Tue Mar 7 07:55:43 2023
    I'm not even going to post the exact number of federal(just federal!.....not to mention all the state and then local) taxes I paid because it's just too depressing.....this is a *serious* serious serious problem we have in our country.

I will say it starts with a three.....and sadly the next number after that is not 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or even 7.

Before all the "but you make a lot so you should pay a lot", it's not like I make a ton. If I made 5 million dollars I'd be like, yeah, I should pay a good bit in taxes. But sadly that's not the case.....

And yes I'm doing *everything* I can. I even have a new tax/business accountant this year that was recommended, even though I don't have much of a business. I watch other people cheat the system left and right who make *far more* and pay *far less*,
    and that's frustrating. One of the reasons I bought all these rental properties was to have more avenues to 'muddy the waters' so to speak(my accountants phrase) which he says will give us a lot more opportunity to deduct more.

But for now, the situation is abhorrent. How much longer are we as a country going to tolerate this is the question.....we just keep electing the same bozos and they are all the same. People were like "michael, you've got to support the republicans
    because they will lower your taxes".....lmao, trump comes in and makes some tax changes(mainly placing SALT caps and punishing unmarried people severely) and my taxes go up!! I point this out to the gop/trump sycophants and they are like "umm well umm I'
    ll have to check the numbers" lmao......

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Tue Mar 7 11:05:53 2023
    Divide the amount of tax you paid by your AGI (not your "taxable income"). What percent do you get? IIRC, mine was around 18% to the IRS, and 8% to the Franchise Tax Board in Sacramento.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to All on Tue Mar 7 20:40:45 2023
    Reduce the population or shut up.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From xyzzy@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Wed Mar 8 12:48:22 2023
    The NOTBCS Guy <don.p.del.grande@gmail.com> wrote:
    Divide the amount of tax you paid by your AGI (not your "taxable
    income"). What percent do you get? IIRC, mine was around 18% to the IRS,
    and 8% to the Franchise Tax Board in Sacramento.

He won’t do that because it would undermine his “poor me I’m a tax victim”
    schtick.

--
    “I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian, liberal personality.” — Altie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From xyzzy@21:1/5 to xyzzy on Wed Mar 8 14:20:31 2023
    xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com> wrote:
    income"). What percent do you get? IIRC, mine was around 18% to the IRS,
    and 8% to the Franchise Tax Board in Sacramento.

schtick.

For my two-earner household, percentages of AGI:

Federal income tax: 17.5%
    State Income tax (NC): 4.6%
    Payroll taxes (Soc sec & Medicare): 6.9%

Total income-based tax burden: 29%

--
    “I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian, liberal personality.” — Altie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RoddyMcCorley@21:1/5 to xyzzy on Wed Mar 8 10:59:11 2023
    On 3/8/2023 9:20 AM, xyzzy wrote:
    xyzzy <xyzzy.dude@gmail.com> wrote:
    income"). What percent do you get? IIRC, mine was around 18% to the IRS, >>> and 8% to the Franchise Tax Board in Sacramento.

schtick.

For my two-earner household, percentages of AGI:

Federal income tax: 17.5%
    State Income tax (NC): 4.6%
    Payroll taxes (Soc sec & Medicare): 6.9%

Total income-based tax burden: 29%

RETIRED (both of us)!

Federal: 22% marginal; 9.09% effective
    State (PA) 0% State does not tax retirement benefits
    Local: 0% Local does not tax retirement benefits.

Total income tax burden: 9.09%
    --
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In
    practice, there is." Ruben Goldberg

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From michael anderson@21:1/5 to xyzzy on Wed Mar 8 09:19:14 2023
    On Wednesday, March 8, 2023 at 6:48:25 AM UTC-6, xyzzy wrote:
    The NOTBCS Guy <don.p.de...@gmail.com> wrote:
    income"). What percent do you get? IIRC, mine was around 18% to the IRS, and 8% to the Franchise Tax Board in Sacramento.

schtick.

No, I'll gladly do it. Unfortunately I paid a federal tax rate(NOT INCLUDING MEDICARE AND SS....are you guys throwing that in yours?)
    of about 27%. And to get there it included some "muddying the waters" as my accountant said. Oh and I had to pay him. And I had to pay state income tax(another 35k or whatever it was), SS and medicare(at least its capped but still), the lovely '
    additional medicare tax' that started around March(yes that's actually a thing), boatloads in property tax. Car/ad valorem taxes. Add 4k+ for freaking sales tax on my blackwing a few months ago lol......

It just *never ends*. Add all that up and I'm sure it's into the 40some percent easily. Just brutal. So how would one spin it any other
    way than acknowledging I'm a tax victim? If I work through the end of May probably into early June every year *just* to essentially service a tax debt, of course I'm a victim.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 8 10:41:57 2023
    No, I'll gladly do it. Unfortunately I paid a federal tax rate(NOT INCLUDING MEDICARE AND SS....are you guys throwing that in yours?)
    of about 27%.

Was that 27% of your (pre-deductions) AGI, or 27% of your post-deductions taxable income? I am asking about the AGI-based number.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From michael anderson@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Wed Mar 8 12:34:39 2023
    On Wednesday, March 8, 2023 at 12:41:59 PM UTC-6, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:
    of about 27%.
    Was that 27% of your (pre-deductions) AGI, or 27% of your post-deductions taxable income? I am asking about the AGI-based number.

??? Since the great majority of my income is taxed at both 35 and 37%, of course it's post-deductions. The culmulative pre-deduction average % to get to the first 215k or so is going to average
    about 25% predeductions, but after that's it's 35 and 37(before deductions).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From michael anderson@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 8 12:36:08 2023
    note that if I was married it would be better(a good bit better actually)....which is just another rsfcked up thing about our tax system. I could marry 'on paper' some crackhead who literally
    just sits at home and smokes crack all day and I would save maybe 50-60k on taxes total lol......as if that makes any sense.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 8 14:21:11 2023
    of about 27%.
    ??? Since the great majority of my income is taxed at both 35 and 37%, of course it's post-deductions. The culmulative pre-deduction average % to get to the first 215k or so is going to average

Got it. It's just that you used the term "rate" when mentioning the 27%. "Tax rates" apply only to post-deduction income.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From leonard hofstatder@21:1/5 to JGibson on Thu Mar 9 11:00:20 2023
    On 3/9/2023 10:47 AM, JGibson wrote:
    On Wednesday, March 8, 2023 at 3:34:41 PM UTC-5, michael anderson wrote:
    On Wednesday, March 8, 2023 at 12:41:59 PM UTC-6, The NOTBCS Guy wrote: >>>> No, I'll gladly do it. Unfortunately I paid a federal tax rate(NOT INCLUDING MEDICARE AND SS....are you guys throwing that in yours?)
    of about 27%.

"The first $215k or so" and you expect us to feel sorry for your tax burden? Um, no.

+1000

(amount of my refund :-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JGibson@21:1/5 to michael anderson on Thu Mar 9 08:47:30 2023
    of about 27%.

"The first $215k or so" and you expect us to feel sorry for your tax burden? Um, no.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to JGibson on Thu Mar 9 10:51:17 2023
    On Thursday, March 9, 2023 at 8:47:33 AM UTC-8, JGibson wrote:

He feels his bank account gives him importance -- under the law and in many other respects.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Thu Mar 9 11:07:09 2023
    He feels his bank account gives him importance -- under the law and in many other respects.

I just saw the Biden budget proposal. He may need it. The over/under on when any budget is actually signed is probably just after Super Tuesday.

Whether or not there's a shutdown may come down to, do 218 of the 223 Republicans in the House think they can shut down the government without it increasing Trump's chances of being elected?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Thu Mar 9 14:55:40 2023
    On Thursday, March 9, 2023 at 11:07:12 AM UTC-8, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:
    I just saw the Biden budget proposal. He may need it. The over/under on when any budget is actually signed is probably just after Super Tuesday.

Whether or not there's a shutdown may come down to, do 218 of the 223 Republicans in the House think they can shut down the government without it increasing Trump's chances of being elected?

I have very real doubts we even see the 2024 Presidential election.

I do believe we are looking at a group of Republicans who want a debt default, and everything that means.

A hard stop to the entitlement programs would basically fell this country within a month or two.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ken Olson@21:1/5 to Michael Falkner on Thu Mar 9 20:17:52 2023
    On 3/9/2023 5:55 PM, Michael Falkner wrote:
    On Thursday, March 9, 2023 at 11:07:12 AM UTC-8, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:

I have very real doubts we even see the 2024 Presidential election.

I do believe we are looking at a group of Republicans who want a debt default, and everything that means.

A hard stop to the entitlement programs would basically fell this country within a month or two.

Mike

You be trippin'.
    --
    ÄLSKAR - Fänga Dagen

Слава Україні та НАТО

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From xyzzy@21:1/5 to michael anderson on Fri Mar 10 20:27:25 2023
    michael anderson <mianderson79@gmail.com> wrote:
    No, I'll gladly do it. Unfortunately I paid a federal tax rate(NOT
    INCLUDING MEDICARE AND SS....are you guys throwing that in yours?)
    of about 27%.
    Was that 27% of your (pre-deductions) AGI, or 27% of your
    post-deductions taxable income? I am asking about the AGI-based number.

??? Since the great majority of my income is taxed at both 35 and 37%,
    of course it's post-deductions. The culmulative pre-deduction average %
    to get to the first 215k or so is going to average

Either you are stating it wrong or your math is wrong.

Is it 27% of your AGI (line 11 on your 1040) or 27% of your taxable income (line 15).

Because if it’s 27% of your taxable income (post-deductions) as you stated above, then you are in the lower half of the 35% tax bracket and literally
    none of your income is being taxed at 37%.

You divide line 24 (total tax) by line 11 (adjusted gross income) to get
    your effective tax rate which is what we’re discussing here.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From michael anderson@21:1/5 to JGibson on Sat Mar 11 23:59:52 2023
    On Thursday, March 9, 2023 at 10:47:33 AM UTC-6, JGibson wrote:
    of about 27%.

So honest question- you think random working professionals(your kids orthodontist, the owner of a successful small pharmacy. etc) should have their next earned dollars at the end of every year taxed at the same rate as tycoons? I don't lol.......not if
    we're going to have a progressive tax system.

You, me, those people....we're all alike. We all shop at the same stores, live in the same neighborhoods, send our kids to the same
    schools. The tycoons? No, they aren't like you or me or your kids doctor. So why does our current tax system attempt to divide us in such
    a negative way? Why does it treat people whose economic lives and conditions in a practical sense are fairly similar so differently, yet then treat people whose lives are so different rather similarly?

The reality is I probably wouldn't mind paying a little more than you as a percentage if the actual truly rich people were paying more than me on earned income......

And you see this all the time with politicians, especially dems. Biden or someone will be trying to defend a new tax scheme by saying "why shouldn't Elon Musk have to pay his fair share?"........except the people who actually get targeted in it aren't
    Elon Musk but some random
    dentist lol.......but they can't say that. It doesn't play politically.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From michael anderson@21:1/5 to xyzzy on Sat Mar 11 23:43:30 2023
    On Friday, March 10, 2023 at 2:27:30 PM UTC-6, xyzzy wrote:
    michael anderson <miande...@gmail.com> wrote:
    No, I'll gladly do it. Unfortunately I paid a federal tax rate(NOT
    of about 27%.

Is it 27% of your AGI (line 11 on your 1040) or 27% of your taxable income (line 15).

Because if it’s 27% of your taxable income (post-deductions) as you stated above, then you are in the lower half of the 35% tax bracket and literally none of your income is being taxed at 37%.

You divide line 24 (total tax) by line 11 (adjusted gross income) to get your effective tax rate which is what we’re discussing here.

Oh I get it....when I think of it, I look at it like this:

let's say the combination of my employer and my self employment contracts caused me to 'make' 100 dollars. Without considering deductions.

What I'm saying is *after* my deductions I paid 27 dollars. So I guess the % I paid on taxable income was less, if taxable income is the part after deductions.

But then Im confused by the original question....because if he is only considering post-deduction percentages, why not ask just what my after deduction income was? Since as you point out you can calculate that from that.....

what most people care about when comparing how they 'did' in taxes is what percentage of the money they 'got paid' they then had to pay the govt.....which of course depends on how much you make, marital status, and deductions. What I believe Im saying
    is I paid 27% just in federal taxes(not state, not fica) of what the sum of my employer paid me and my self employed contract work paid me. Like if "michael
    s employer" paid me 100 dollars this year I ended up paying 27 dollars of that to the federal govt. And the cap of course in fica(which is like 14-15k?).....

Hell here is the kicker....just in something called the 'additional medicare tax' I paid like 7k or whatever....I don't mean I paid 7k total for the medicare percentage that there is no cap on. It's crazy for starters that the medicare part of FICA has
    no cap.....so I paid that on all my income. But they hit me with what's called an 'additional medicare tax'. And that was like 7k. Gone. poof. Isn't the fact that the medicare tax of like 1.5% or whatever, unlike SS, not capped make that 'additional'?
    That's what I thought it referred to at first.....no, this refers to an additional near 1 percent on top of the additional uncapped bit. When I first saw that on my pay stub one year I just thought "ok, now they are rsfcking with me......"

As for brackets, no I definately blow through the 35% and a good chunk(I don't have exact numbers now....maybe 40% total post-deduction?) is in the 37. It would be less if married. Which brings me to another question/problem with our tax system....why
    are the last dollars I earned taxed the same way as some hedge fund billionaire who makes like 500 mill a year and has a super yacht and I've got my tiny dual console lol? Maybe I'm crazy, but if we're going to have a progressive tax system(which I don'
    t support in the first place), how about making it truly progressive at the truly high levels.

It's like imagine four people: cashier at wal mart, school teacher, dentist, hedge fund billionaire.

Somehow our dumb tax system says the school teacher has to pay more than the cashier at wal mart, and the dentist has to pay more than the school teacher(which is defensible even if I disagree with it), but then shouldn't the hedge fund billionaire(on
    earnings of course, not capital gains) have to pay more than the dentist? but in our system, nope.........it's like you get to a certain (fairly modest) point and then it's "ok it's all even after that". Which is bonkers.

IOW it's ridiculous to have a 35 and 37% federal tax bracket applied to ordinary working professionals in certain fields. Those sorts of tax rates should be applied to like mega wealthy property developers and stuff who make more money in 1 week than I
    do in 6 months.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 12 07:30:38 2023
    O
    You divide line 24 (total tax) by line 11 (adjusted gross income) to get your effective tax rate which is what we’re discussing here.

let's say the combination of my employer and my self employment contracts caused me to 'make' 100 dollars. Without considering deductions.

What I'm saying is *after* my deductions I paid 27 dollars. So I guess the % I paid on taxable income was less, if taxable income is the part after deductions.

But then Im confused by the original question....because if he is only considering post-deduction percentages, why not ask just what my after deduction income was? Since as you point out you can calculate that from that.....

The original question was, what percentage of your pre-deduction income (although "deductions" for capital gain losses or IRA contributions aren't counted - just anything you would report on Schedule A) did you pay in taxes?

what most people care about when comparing how they 'did' in taxes is what percentage of the money they 'got paid' they then had to pay the govt.....which of course depends on how much you make, marital status, and deductions.

My intent was not to have the number watered down by excessive deductions.

As for brackets, no I definately blow through the 35% and a good chunk(I don't have exact numbers now....maybe 40% total post-deduction?) is in the 37.

So your income is $900,000? 37% starts at $539,000 - and that is post-deductions - so if that's 60% of your income, then your total post-deduction income would be $898,333.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From xyzzy@21:1/5 to michael anderson on Sun Mar 12 18:07:38 2023
    On Wednesday, March 8, 2023 at 12:41:59 PM UTC-6, The NOTBCS Guy wrote: >>>>> No, I'll gladly do it. Unfortunately I paid a federal tax rate(NOT
    of about 27%.
    post-deductions taxable income? I am asking about the AGI-based number. >>>

Is it 27% of your AGI (line 11 on your 1040) or 27% of your taxable income >> (line 15).

Because if it’s 27% of your taxable income (post-deductions) as you stated >> above, then you are in the lower half of the 35% tax bracket and literally >> none of your income is being taxed at 37%.

What I'm saying is *after* my deductions I paid 27 dollars. So I guess
    the % I paid on taxable income was less, if taxable income is the part after deductions.

what most people care about when comparing how they 'did' in taxes is
    what percentage of the money they 'got paid' they then had to pay the govt.....which of course depends on how much you make, marital status,
    and deductions. What I believe Im saying is I paid 27% just in federal taxes(not state, not fica) of what the sum of my employer paid me and my
    self employed contract work paid me. Like if "michael
    s employer" paid me 100 dollars this year I ended up paying 27 dollars of that to the federal govt. And the cap of course in fica(which is like 14-15k?).....

Hell here is the kicker....just in something called the 'additional
    medicare tax' I paid like 7k or whatever....I don't mean I paid 7k total
    for the medicare percentage that there is no cap on. It's crazy for
    starters that the medicare part of FICA has no cap.....so I paid that on
    all my income. But they hit me with what's called an 'additional
    medicare tax'. And that was like 7k. Gone. poof. Isn't the fact that
    the medicare tax of like 1.5% or whatever, unlike SS, not capped make
    that 'additional'? That's what I thought it referred to at first.....no, this refers to an additional near 1 percent on top of the additional
    uncapped bit. When I first saw that on my pay stub one year I just
    thought "ok, now they are rsfcking with me......"

As for brackets, no I definately blow through the 35% and a good chunk(I don't have exact numbers now....maybe 40% total post-deduction?) is in
    the 37. It would be less if married. Which brings me to another question/problem with our tax system....why are the last dollars I earned taxed the same way as some hedge fund billionaire who makes like 500 mill
    a year and has a super yacht and I've got my tiny dual console lol?
    Maybe I'm crazy, but if we're going to have a progressive tax
    system(which I don't support in the first place), how about making it
    truly progressive at the truly high levels.

It's like imagine four people: cashier at wal mart, school teacher, dentist, hedge fund billionaire.

Somehow our dumb tax system says the school teacher has to pay more than
    the cashier at wal mart, and the dentist has to pay more than the school teacher(which is defensible even if I disagree with it), but then
    shouldn't the hedge fund billionaire(on earnings of course, not capital gains) have to pay more than the dentist? but in our system, nope.........it's like you get to a certain (fairly modest) point and
    then it's "ok it's all even after that". Which is bonkers.

IOW it's ridiculous to have a 35 and 37% federal tax bracket applied to ordinary working professionals in certain fields. Those sorts of tax
    rates should be applied to like mega wealthy property developers and
    stuff who make more money in 1 week than I do in 6 months.

--
    “I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian,
    liberal personality.” — Altie

The question asked is simple. What is your effective tax rate, which is
    derived by dividing your total tax (1040 line 24) by your adjusted gross
    income (1040 line 11).

This is what the rest of us have done and it is the generally accepted definition of effective tax rate. This takes into account all deductions
    and tax brackets to boil it down to “what percentage of your income did you pay in federal income tax”.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From michael anderson@21:1/5 to xyzzy on Sun Mar 12 13:12:06 2023
    On Sunday, March 12, 2023 at 1:07:42 PM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
    No, I'll gladly do it. Unfortunately I paid a federal tax rate(NOT >>>>> INCLUDING MEDICARE AND SS....are you guys throwing that in yours?) >>>>> of about 27%.
    post-deductions taxable income? I am asking about the AGI-based number. >>>
    ??? Since the great majority of my income is taxed at both 35 and 37%, >>> of course it's post-deductions. The culmulative pre-deduction average % >>> to get to the first 215k or so is going to average

Is it 27% of your AGI (line 11 on your 1040) or 27% of your taxable income
    (line 15).

Because if it’s 27% of your taxable income (post-deductions) as you stated
    above, then you are in the lower half of the 35% tax bracket and literally

You divide line 24 (total tax) by line 11 (adjusted gross income) to get >> your effective tax rate which is what we’re discussing here.

the % I paid on taxable income was less, if taxable income is the part after deductions.

what percentage of the money they 'got paid' they then had to pay the govt.....which of course depends on how much you make, marital status,
    and deductions. What I believe Im saying is I paid 27% just in federal taxes(not state, not fica) of what the sum of my employer paid me and my self employed contract work paid me. Like if "michael

Hell here is the kicker....just in something called the 'additional medicare tax' I paid like 7k or whatever....I don't mean I paid 7k total for the medicare percentage that there is no cap on. It's crazy for starters that the medicare part of FICA has no cap.....so I paid that on all my income. But they hit me with what's called an 'additional
    that 'additional'? That's what I thought it referred to at first.....no, this refers to an additional near 1 percent on top of the additional uncapped bit. When I first saw that on my pay stub one year I just

As for brackets, no I definately blow through the 35% and a good chunk(I don't have exact numbers now....maybe 40% total post-deduction?) is in
    the 37. It would be less if married. Which brings me to another question/problem with our tax system....why are the last dollars I earned taxed the same way as some hedge fund billionaire who makes like 500 mill a year and has a super yacht and I've got my tiny dual console lol?
    system(which I don't support in the first place), how about making it truly progressive at the truly high levels.

Somehow our dumb tax system says the school teacher has to pay more than the cashier at wal mart, and the dentist has to pay more than the school teacher(which is defensible even if I disagree with it), but then shouldn't the hedge fund billionaire(on earnings of course, not capital gains) have to pay more than the dentist? but in our system, nope.........it's like you get to a certain (fairly modest) point and

IOW it's ridiculous to have a 35 and 37% federal tax bracket applied to ordinary working professionals in certain fields. Those sorts of tax

--
    “I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian, >> liberal personality.” — Altie

The question asked is simple. What is your effective tax rate, which is derived by dividing your total tax (1040 line 24) by your adjusted gross income (1040 line 11).

This is what the rest of us have done and it is the generally accepted definition of effective tax rate. This takes into account all deductions
    and tax brackets to boil it down to “what percentage of your income did you
    pay in federal income tax”.

I guess....but if that is what 'effective' tax rate means, all you have to do to know that is just know your post-deduction income, and marital status. Since the deductions have already been accounted for.

To me a more meaningful way of measuring "how one did" on taxes is to look at what their gross salary before deductions was and what someone actually paid in federal taxes(minus fica). That's a more relevant
    measure to me because deductions vary so greatly and quite frankly there is a lot of grey in how some people do deductions vs others. And that's the 27% figure for me.

Because I care about what I have some control over. If 'effective' tax rate just involves post-deduction income and marital status, I don't really care about that because I have no control over that. There is nothing I can do at that point(except work
    less or get married) to control that. But the deductions otoh I do have some control over, so thats why I mistakenly assumed 'effective' tax rate would be before taking those into
    account. Because as I said above if someone says "oh I only paid 14% as my effective tax rate", all that tells me is how much they made and their marital status. That doesn't really have anything to do with how "good they made out on taxes" relative to
    what they could have done, because that involves deductions of course.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From michael anderson@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Sun Mar 12 13:15:50 2023
    On Sunday, March 12, 2023 at 9:30:43 AM UTC-5, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:
    O

The original question was, what percentage of your pre-deduction income (although "deductions" for capital gain losses or IRA contributions aren't counted - just anything you would report on Schedule A) did you pay in taxes?
    what most people care about when comparing how they 'did' in taxes is what percentage of the money they 'got paid' they then had to pay the govt.....which of course depends on how much you make, marital status, and deductions.
    My intent was not to have the number watered down by excessive deductions.
    As for brackets, no I definately blow through the 35% and a good chunk(I don't have exact numbers now....maybe 40% total post-deduction?) is in the 37.
    So your income is $900,000? 37% starts at $539,000 - and that is post-deductions - so if that's 60% of your income, then your total post-deduction income would be $898,333.

well for starters I think when one uses the term 'income' or is asked "hey how much did you make", they don't report that with their mortgage interest deductions included lol. I think thats why the terminology has me confused.

If your employer pays you 250k and you have 25k in mortgage interest deductions, you're not going to say "oh my income is 225k" when someone asks. You're going to say 250k.

So I know what my employer paid me last year in salary and I know what I made in self employed contracts, bonuses, etc. I don't know exactly(without looking at tax forms again) what that figure is
    minus my mortgage interest deductions, state income tax deduction(capped unfortunately), etc......

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 12 16:15:27 2023
    well for starters I think when one uses the term 'income' or is asked "hey how much did you make", they don't report that with their mortgage interest deductions included lol. I think thats why the terminology has me confused.

If your employer pays you 250k and you have 25k in mortgage interest deductions, you're not going to say "oh my income is 225k" when someone asks. You're going to say 250k.

So I know what my employer paid me last year in salary and I know what I made in self employed contracts, bonuses, etc. I don't know exactly(without looking at tax forms again) what that figure is

Is there any chance it is remotely near $900,000? I am still trying to comprehend how your statement that 40% of your income was taxed at 37% federally is accurate.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From xyzzy@21:1/5 to michael anderson on Mon Mar 13 00:52:44 2023
    On Wednesday, March 8, 2023 at 12:41:59 PM UTC-6, The NOTBCS Guy wrote: >>>>>>> No, I'll gladly do it. Unfortunately I paid a federal tax rate(NOT >>>>>>> INCLUDING MEDICARE AND SS....are you guys throwing that in yours?) >>>>>>> of about 27%.
    post-deductions taxable income? I am asking about the AGI-based number. >>>>>
    ??? Since the great majority of my income is taxed at both 35 and 37%, >>>>> of course it's post-deductions. The culmulative pre-deduction average % >>>>> to get to the first 215k or so is going to average

Is it 27% of your AGI (line 11 on your 1040) or 27% of your taxable income >>>> (line 15).

above, then you are in the lower half of the 35% tax bracket and literally >>>> none of your income is being taxed at 37%.

You divide line 24 (total tax) by line 11 (adjusted gross income) to get >>>> your effective tax rate which is what we’re discussing here.

let's say the combination of my employer and my self employment contracts >>> caused me to 'make' 100 dollars. Without considering deductions.

But then Im confused by the original question....because if he is only
    considering post-deduction percentages, why not ask just what my after
    deduction income was? Since as you point out you can calculate that from that.....

what percentage of the money they 'got paid' they then had to pay the
    govt.....which of course depends on how much you make, marital status,
    and deductions. What I believe Im saying is I paid 27% just in federal
    taxes(not state, not fica) of what the sum of my employer paid me and my >>> self employed contract work paid me. Like if "michael
    s employer" paid me 100 dollars this year I ended up paying 27 dollars of >>> that to the federal govt. And the cap of course in fica(which is like 14-15k?).....

medicare tax' I paid like 7k or whatever....I don't mean I paid 7k total >>> for the medicare percentage that there is no cap on. It's crazy for
    starters that the medicare part of FICA has no cap.....so I paid that on >>> all my income. But they hit me with what's called an 'additional
    that 'additional'? That's what I thought it referred to at first.....no, >>> this refers to an additional near 1 percent on top of the additional

As for brackets, no I definately blow through the 35% and a good chunk(I >>> don't have exact numbers now....maybe 40% total post-deduction?) is in
    the 37. It would be less if married. Which brings me to another
    question/problem with our tax system....why are the last dollars I earned >>> taxed the same way as some hedge fund billionaire who makes like 500 mill >>> a year and has a super yacht and I've got my tiny dual console lol?
    system(which I don't support in the first place), how about making it
    truly progressive at the truly high levels.

It's like imagine four people: cashier at wal mart, school teacher,
    dentist, hedge fund billionaire.

Somehow our dumb tax system says the school teacher has to pay more than >>> the cashier at wal mart, and the dentist has to pay more than the school >>> teacher(which is defensible even if I disagree with it), but then
    shouldn't the hedge fund billionaire(on earnings of course, not capital
    gains) have to pay more than the dentist? but in our system,
    nope.........it's like you get to a certain (fairly modest) point and

IOW it's ridiculous to have a 35 and 37% federal tax bracket applied to
    ordinary working professionals in certain fields. Those sorts of tax

--
    “I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian, >>>> liberal personality.” — Altie

The question asked is simple. What is your effective tax rate, which is
    derived by dividing your total tax (1040 line 24) by your adjusted gross
    income (1040 line 11).

This is what the rest of us have done and it is the generally accepted
    definition of effective tax rate. This takes into account all deductions
    and tax brackets to boil it down to “what percentage of your income did you

I guess....but if that is what 'effective' tax rate means, all you have
    to do to know that is just know your post-deduction income, and marital status. Since the deductions have already been accounted for.

To me a more meaningful way of measuring "how one did" on taxes is to
    look at what their gross salary before deductions was and what someone actually paid in federal taxes(minus fica). That's a more relevant
    measure to me because deductions vary so greatly and quite frankly there
    is a lot of grey in how some people do deductions vs others.

That’s exactly what we’re asking you for. Adjusted gross income is your total income before deductions.

And that's the 27% figure for me.

So your 1040 line 24 / line 11 is 0.27?

Because I care about what I have some control over. If 'effective' tax
    rate just involves post-deduction income and marital status, I don't
    really care about that because I have no control over that. There is
    nothing I can do at that point(except work less or get married) to
    control that. But the deductions otoh I do have some control over, so
    thats why I mistakenly assumed 'effective' tax rate would be before taking those into
    account. Because as I said above if someone says "oh I only paid 14% as
    my effective tax rate", all that tells me is how much they made and their marital status. That doesn't really have anything to do with how "good
    they made out on taxes" relative to what they could have done, because
    that involves deductions of course.

Effective tax rate is the true measure of your tax burden since it’s the percent of your total income that you paid in taxes after all is said and done…including what you can and cannot control. You claim to be concerned about your true tax burden. Are you? Why do you keep trying to redefine
    it, like you’re trying to avoid answering the question?

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RoddyMcCorley@21:1/5 to michael anderson on Mon Mar 13 00:29:53 2023
    On 3/12/2023 4:12 PM, michael anderson wrote:

OK. This is not rocket science.

Add up your gross income from W2s and 1099s and tell us what that comes to.

How you minimize your taxes paid is up to you and your accountant.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ken Olson@21:1/5 to michael anderson on Mon Mar 13 01:21:48 2023
    On 3/12/2023 3:59 AM, michael anderson wrote:
    On Thursday, March 9, 2023 at 10:47:33 AM UTC-6, JGibson wrote:
    On Wednesday, March 8, 2023 at 3:34:41 PM UTC-5, michael anderson wrote: >>> On Wednesday, March 8, 2023 at 12:41:59 PM UTC-6, The NOTBCS Guy wrote: >>>>> No, I'll gladly do it. Unfortunately I paid a federal tax rate(NOT INCLUDING MEDICARE AND SS....are you guys throwing that in yours?)
    of about 27%.

So honest question- you think random working professionals(your kids orthodontist, the owner of a successful small pharmacy. etc) should have their next earned dollars at the end of every year taxed at the same rate as tycoons? I don't lol.......not
    if we're going to have a progressive tax system.

You, me, those people....we're all alike. We all shop at the same stores, live in the same neighborhoods, send our kids to the same
    schools. The tycoons? No, they aren't like you or me or your kids doctor. So why does our current tax system attempt to divide us in such
    a negative way? Why does it treat people whose economic lives and conditions in a practical sense are fairly similar so differently, yet then treat people whose lives are so different rather similarly?

The reality is I probably wouldn't mind paying a little more than you as a percentage if the actual truly rich people were paying more than me on earned income......

And you see this all the time with politicians, especially dems. Biden or someone will be trying to defend a new tax scheme by saying "why shouldn't Elon Musk have to pay his fair share?"........except the people who actually get targeted in it aren't
    Elon Musk but some random
    dentist lol.......but they can't say that. It doesn't play politically.

All of these Fed plans, SS, Medicare, Income Tax, plus state plans
    modeled on them, were originally marketed as being on the "rich" only.
    Then they later started on everyone else when they found out there
    weren't enough "rich" people.
    --
    ÄLSKAR - Fänga Dagen

Слава Україні та НАТО

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RoddyMcCorley@21:1/5 to Ken Olson on Mon Mar 13 01:46:05 2023
    On 3/13/2023 1:21 AM, Ken Olson wrote:

All of these Fed plans, SS, Medicare, Income Tax, plus state plans
    modeled on them, were originally marketed as being on the "rich" only.
    Then they later started on everyone else when they found out there
    weren't enough "rich" people.

Bullshit. Everyone paid.

For SS: "The original Social Security contribution rate was 1% of pay,
    which was matched by employers. The tax rate grew to 1.5% in 1950 and
    gradually increased to top 5% by 1978. The current tax rate of 6.2% has
    been in effect since 1990. However, higher earners don't pay Social
    Security taxes on all of their income. The Social Security tax applied
    only to earnings of $3,000 or less in 1950 and earlier. The tax cap has increased over time to $51,300 in 1990 and $147,000 in 2022. Earnings
    above this amount are not subject to the Social Security payroll tax or factored into benefit payouts."

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ken Olson@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Mon Mar 13 02:14:49 2023
    On 3/12/2023 7:15 PM, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:

Is there any chance it is remotely near $900,000? I am still trying to comprehend how your statement that 40% of your income was taxed at 37% federally is accurate.

That's a buttload of Suboxone.
    --
    ÄLSKAR - Fänga Dagen

Слава Україні та НАТО

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From michael anderson@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Tue Mar 14 19:35:45 2023
    On Sunday, March 12, 2023 at 6:15:30 PM UTC-5, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:

I don't have the exact number on hand and don't want to give a specific number....my AGI was more than that im sure, and then I had mortgage interest deductions on 3 houses, capped SALT, donations my mom made to her church in my name(a lot since they
    are doing a building fund), a car I donated to 'cars' for kids, a new rolex I bought(time monitoring device....sort of a grey area but everyone does it), money in sep-ira..... Some other stuff I'm forgetting.....but as you can see from that 27% number
    it was not nearly damn enough.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From michael anderson@21:1/5 to xyzzy on Tue Mar 14 19:31:31 2023
    On Sunday, March 12, 2023 at 7:52:49 PM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
    No, I'll gladly do it. Unfortunately I paid a federal tax rate(NOT >>>>>>> INCLUDING MEDICARE AND SS....are you guys throwing that in yours?) >>>>>>> of about 27%.

??? Since the great majority of my income is taxed at both 35 and 37%, >>>>> of course it's post-deductions. The culmulative pre-deduction average %

Is it 27% of your AGI (line 11 on your 1040) or 27% of your taxable income
    (line 15).

above, then you are in the lower half of the 35% tax bracket and literally

let's say the combination of my employer and my self employment contracts
    caused me to 'make' 100 dollars. Without considering deductions.

What I'm saying is *after* my deductions I paid 27 dollars. So I guess >>> the % I paid on taxable income was less, if taxable income is the part after deductions.

But then Im confused by the original question....because if he is only >>> considering post-deduction percentages, why not ask just what my after >>> deduction income was? Since as you point out you can calculate that from that.....

what most people care about when comparing how they 'did' in taxes is >>> what percentage of the money they 'got paid' they then had to pay the >>> govt.....which of course depends on how much you make, marital status, >>> and deductions. What I believe Im saying is I paid 27% just in federal >>> taxes(not state, not fica) of what the sum of my employer paid me and my >>> self employed contract work paid me. Like if "michael
    s employer" paid me 100 dollars this year I ended up paying 27 dollars of
    that to the federal govt. And the cap of course in fica(which is like 14-15k?).....

medicare tax' I paid like 7k or whatever....I don't mean I paid 7k total >>> for the medicare percentage that there is no cap on. It's crazy for
    starters that the medicare part of FICA has no cap.....so I paid that on >>> all my income. But they hit me with what's called an 'additional
    the medicare tax of like 1.5% or whatever, unlike SS, not capped make >>> that 'additional'? That's what I thought it referred to at first.....no, >>> this refers to an additional near 1 percent on top of the additional

As for brackets, no I definately blow through the 35% and a good chunk(I >>> don't have exact numbers now....maybe 40% total post-deduction?) is in >>> the 37. It would be less if married. Which brings me to another
    question/problem with our tax system....why are the last dollars I earned
    taxed the same way as some hedge fund billionaire who makes like 500 mill
    a year and has a super yacht and I've got my tiny dual console lol?
    system(which I don't support in the first place), how about making it >>> truly progressive at the truly high levels.

It's like imagine four people: cashier at wal mart, school teacher,
    dentist, hedge fund billionaire.

Somehow our dumb tax system says the school teacher has to pay more than >>> the cashier at wal mart, and the dentist has to pay more than the school >>> teacher(which is defensible even if I disagree with it), but then
    shouldn't the hedge fund billionaire(on earnings of course, not capital >>> gains) have to pay more than the dentist? but in our system,
    nope.........it's like you get to a certain (fairly modest) point and >>> then it's "ok it's all even after that". Which is bonkers.

IOW it's ridiculous to have a 35 and 37% federal tax bracket applied to >>> ordinary working professionals in certain fields. Those sorts of tax

--
    “I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian,
    liberal personality.” — Altie

The question asked is simple. What is your effective tax rate, which is >> derived by dividing your total tax (1040 line 24) by your adjusted gross >> income (1040 line 11).

This is what the rest of us have done and it is the generally accepted
    definition of effective tax rate. This takes into account all deductions >> and tax brackets to boil it down to “what percentage of your income did you

I guess....but if that is what 'effective' tax rate means, all you have
    to do to know that is just know your post-deduction income, and marital status. Since the deductions have already been accounted for.

To me a more meaningful way of measuring "how one did" on taxes is to
    look at what their gross salary before deductions was and what someone actually paid in federal taxes(minus fica). That's a more relevant
    measure to me because deductions vary so greatly and quite frankly there is a lot of grey in how some people do deductions vs others.
    That’s exactly what we’re asking you for. Adjusted gross income is your total income before deductions.
    And that's the 27% figure for me.
    So your 1040 line 24 / line 11 is 0.27?

yes, and then after schedule A was done it went up some. so line 24/'taxable income' is more.

Because I care about what I have some control over. If 'effective' tax rate just involves post-deduction income and marital status, I don't really care about that because I have no control over that. There is nothing I can do at that point(except work less or get married) to
    control that. But the deductions otoh I do have some control over, so thats why I mistakenly assumed 'effective' tax rate would be before taking those into
    account. Because as I said above if someone says "oh I only paid 14% as
    my effective tax rate", all that tells me is how much they made and their marital status. That doesn't really have anything to do with how "good they made out on taxes" relative to what they could have done, because that involves deductions of course.
    Effective tax rate is the true measure of your tax burden since it’s the percent of your total income that you paid in taxes after all is said and done…including what you can and cannot control. You claim to be concerned about your true tax burden. Are you? Why do you keep trying to redefine
    it, like you’re trying to avoid answering the question?

I think I just look at it differently: taxes paid/gross income before schedule A/deductions is what I care most about
    because thats how much money is effectively removed from me.

I also care about the *difference* between that and effective tax rate. Because that goes to how well one is doing at their taxes. A big difference is good; a small difference is bad.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From michael anderson@21:1/5 to Ken Olson on Tue Mar 14 19:42:17 2023
    On Monday, March 13, 2023 at 1:14:53 AM UTC-5, Ken Olson wrote:
    On 3/12/2023 7:15 PM, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:

That's a buttload of Suboxone.

maybe 2% of it was suboxone....less probably.
    --
    ÄLSKAR - Fänga Dagen

Слава Україні та НАТО

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From michael anderson@21:1/5 to michael anderson on Tue Mar 14 19:41:33 2023
    On Tuesday, March 14, 2023 at 9:35:49 PM UTC-5, michael anderson wrote:
    On Sunday, March 12, 2023 at 6:15:30 PM UTC-5, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:

I don't have the exact number on hand and don't want to give a specific number....my AGI was more than that im sure, and then I had mortgage interest deductions on 3 houses, capped SALT, donations my mom made to her church in my name(a lot since they
    are doing a building fund), a car I donated to 'cars' for kids, a new rolex I bought(time monitoring device....sort of a grey area but everyone does it), money in sep-ira..... Some other stuff I'm forgetting.....but as you can see from that 27% number it
    was not nearly damn enough.

just to be clear the watch was not on my personal deduction side....thats a business expense. So I guess thats taken out before the AGI is done. But like I said when I look at what 'I made', I am not going to subtract the watch from that lol. Things
    like state licensure expense, DEA cost, etc sure...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From michael anderson@21:1/5 to xyzzy on Tue Mar 14 20:27:49 2023
    On Sunday, March 12, 2023 at 7:52:49 PM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
    You claim to be concerned
    about your true tax burden. Are you?

yes. I want this number that is now 27% to come down to about 20-22%. I feel that would at least be more fair if it did.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05