• Rumored college football rules changes

From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Mon Feb 20 12:32:51 2023
    "Sources" claim that the NCAA football rules committee, wanting to shorten games (or, more likely, Divisions II and III - shorten the games; Division I - make room for Yet Still Even More TV Timeouts), is considering four rule changes for 2023:
    1. The clock does not stop after a first down except in the final two minutes of each half.
    2. After an incomplete pass, the clock starts on the referee's whistle instead of the snap.
    3. The first and third quarters do not get an extra play if the last play of the quarter was a penalty.
    4. A team cannot call consecutive timeouts (presumably in an attempt to ice the opposing kicker).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Mon Feb 20 12:47:08 2023
    On Monday, February 20, 2023 at 12:32:53 PM UTC-8, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:
    "Sources" claim that the NCAA football rules committee, wanting to shorten games (or, more likely, Divisions II and III - shorten the games; Division I - make room for Yet Still Even More TV Timeouts), is considering four rule changes for 2023:
    1. The clock does not stop after a first down except in the final two minutes of each half.

Cool with that. I do think there does need to be a bit of a reward for a team behind getting a first down late on a comeback drive. Not only that, but the ball can't be ready for play until the sticks are set.

2. After an incomplete pass, the clock starts on the referee's whistle instead of the snap.

So that also would apply to spiking to stop the clock?

3. The first and third quarters do not get an extra play if the last play of the quarter was a penalty.

Makes sense...

4. A team cannot call consecutive timeouts (presumably in an attempt to ice the opposing kicker).

I thought that was already the case at all levels.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Mon Feb 20 13:48:17 2023

So that also would apply to spiking to stop the clock?

That's a good question. My guess is, somebody is going to notice this and say "no," or at least, "not in the last two minutes of a half."

I thought that was already the case at all levels.

I don't see it in the current NCAA football rules, and the high school rules specifically allow it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Con Reeder, unhyphenated American@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Tue Feb 21 11:49:12 2023
    On 2023-02-20, The NOTBCS Guy <don.p.del.grande@gmail.com> wrote:

Strongly disagree with #2 -- changes the game completely.

--
    Trust your own instinct. Your mistakes might as well be your own,
    instead of someone else's. -- Billy Wilder

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tim VanWagoner@21:1/5 to unhyphenated American on Tue Feb 21 07:00:59 2023
    On Tuesday, February 21, 2023 at 5:49:15 AM UTC-6, Con Reeder, unhyphenated American wrote:
    On 2023-02-20, The NOTBCS Guy <don.p.de...@gmail.com> wrote:

--

It changes it some, but would still take time to get the ball set so it’s not the same as a running clock.

Personally, I think baseball needs to do everything it can to shorten games. CFB, not so much.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Ramon@21:1/5 to Tim VanWagoner on Tue Feb 21 10:15:36 2023
    On Tuesday, February 21, 2023 at 7:01:02 AM UTC-8, Tim VanWagoner wrote:

Personally, I think baseball needs to do everything it can to shorten games. CFB, not so much.

3 minutes of ads every half inning means at a minimum 48 minutes of nothing. The average length in 2022 was 3 hrs, 3 minutes. Make it 1 minute instead of 3, save at least 32 minutes making a game 2 1/2 hours. Then there'd be less money so that won't fly.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RoddyMcCorley@21:1/5 to Eric Ramon on Wed Feb 22 00:25:22 2023
    On 2/21/2023 1:15 PM, Eric Ramon wrote:
    On Tuesday, February 21, 2023 at 7:01:02 AM UTC-8, Tim VanWagoner wrote:

3 minutes of ads every half inning means at a minimum 48 minutes of nothing. The average length in 2022 was 3 hrs, 3 minutes. Make it 1 minute instead of 3, save at least 32 minutes making a game 2 1/2 hours. Then there'd be less money so that won't
    fly.

There's no crying in beisbol.

There's no clock in beisbol. The rules to speed up the game will
    probably come back to bite Manfred and the owners in the ass.

As you suggest, reduce the time between innings. Speed replay. Have more doubleheaders with each game being seven innings.

--
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In
    practice, there is." Ruben Goldberg

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to RoddyMcCorley on Wed Feb 22 20:05:14 2023
    On Tuesday, February 21, 2023 at 9:25:27 PM UTC-8, RoddyMcCorley wrote:

There's no clock in beisbol. The rules to speed up the game will
    probably come back to bite Manfred and the owners in the ass.

Not anymore.

As you suggest, reduce the time between innings. Speed replay. Have more doubleheaders with each game being seven innings.

Might as well do the double-7...

Manfred hates baseball anyway. Fuck Rob Manfred.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Con Reeder, unhyphenated American@21:1/5 to Tim VanWagoner on Sun Feb 26 13:05:42 2023
    On 2023-02-21, Tim VanWagoner <tim.vanwagonerspam@gmail.com> wrote:
    On Tuesday, February 21, 2023 at 5:49:15 AM UTC-6, Con Reeder, unhyphenated American wrote:

--

It changes it some, but would still take time to get the ball set so
    it’s not the same as a running clock.

Not the same, but there was a breather aspect of an incompletion that
    mitigates that otherwise negative result.

Personally, I think baseball needs to do everything it can to
    shorten games. CFB, not so much.

IAWT

--
    Whatever you are, be a good one.
    -- Abraham Lincoln

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From michael anderson@21:1/5 to Tim VanWagoner on Sun Feb 26 08:48:48 2023
    On Tuesday, February 21, 2023 at 9:01:02 AM UTC-6, Tim VanWagoner wrote:

--
    It changes it some, but would still take time to get the ball set so it’s not the same as a running clock.

for me something closer to an nfl game time for most college football games would be nice. Maybe not right at an average nfl game time, but at least closer. Whenever I watch an important college football game now, I just kind of anticipate it going
    close to 4 hours if it is a close game. That's a long time....even for something that is enjoyable to watch.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 3 09:36:59 2023
    The committee has released its rules proposals, which still need to be approved by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel on April 20.

The committee decided not to change the rule concerning when the clock stops on incomplete passes.

Here are the rules changes:

Except in the final two minutes of each half, the clock will not stop to move the chains after a first down.

Teams may not call consecutive timeouts (i.e. to ice a field goal kicker).

If there is an accepted penalty at the end of the first or third quarters, there will not be an extra down added to that quarter.

At halftime, the teams cannot take the field until it is cleared. Sounds like a line from "American Pie" ("Cause the players tried to take the field / The marching band refused to yield"). Also, there will be "designated areas" for each team to warm up
    during halftime.

(excuse me a minute...I just closed an investment deal on something the networks are going to love: airborne drones to be used as skycams during college football games)

One more rule change:
    No airborne drones are allowed over the field or team sideline areas while teams are on the field.

(er, if you will excuse me, I have to call my investment broker...)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 3 13:48:42 2023
    And what happens if you try? It's just ignored or is there a penalty involved?

Pretty sure the request is just ignored.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JGibson@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Fri Mar 3 13:38:18 2023
    On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 12:37:01 PM UTC-5, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:
    The committee has released its rules proposals, which still need to be approved by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel on April 20.

The committee decided not to change the rule concerning when the clock stops on incomplete passes.

Except in the final two minutes of each half, the clock will not stop to move the chains after a first down.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Fri Mar 3 15:55:59 2023
    On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 1:48:45 PM UTC-8, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:

I thought it was a 15-yard UC.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 3 17:52:25 2023

In the NFL, it is - and that also applies if calling a "first" timeout to ice a kicker when you don't have any remaining. However, what is supposed to happen is, the timeout request is supposed to be ignored, and the penalty enforced after the play.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Fri Mar 3 17:55:49 2023
    On Friday, March 3, 2023 at 5:52:27 PM UTC-8, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:
    In the NFL, it is - and that also applies if calling a "first" timeout to ice a kicker when you don't have any remaining. However, what is supposed to happen is, the timeout request is supposed to be ignored, and the penalty enforced after the play.

I would not be surprised if that happens in college too. Because, worse, you just gave the kicker TWO shots at it, PLUS FIFTEEN YARDS on the second...

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 21 11:13:28 2023

If there is an accepted penalty at the end of the first or third quarters, there will not be an extra down added to that quarter.

At halftime, the teams cannot take the field until it is cleared. Sounds like a line from "American Pie" ("Cause the players tried to take the field / The marching band refused to yield"). Also, there will be "designated areas" for each team to warm up
    during halftime.

No airborne drones are allowed over the field or team sideline areas while teams are on the field.

All rules changes have been confirmed by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel, and will be in effect this season - except that, for those of you who care about Division III, it will not be using the "clock does not stop after a first down" rule.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jimbrowndoc@yahoo.com@21:1/5 to Tim VanWagoner on Sun Apr 23 21:28:49 2023

--

Most of the newly extended time is the TV time. Fall is one of my busy times so I rarely get to watch live football (even when I can I record and start a half hour late). I can come in at night, fast forward through the commercials and halftime and
    watch an entire game in less than 1.5 hours. I can cut it down to basically 1 hour if I FF between plays. Still get to see all the action.

Going to games is often grueling with TV timeouts lasting what seems like 4-5 minutes.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From xyzzy@21:1/5 to jimbr...@yahoo.com on Mon Apr 24 16:59:52 2023
    jimbr...@yahoo.com <jimbrowndoc@yahoo.com> wrote:
    On Tuesday, February 21, 2023 at 5:49:15 AM UTC-6, Con Reeder,
    unhyphenated American wrote:
    "Sources" claim that the NCAA football rules committee, wanting to
    shorten games (or, more likely, Divisions II and III - shorten the
    games; Division I - make room for Yet Still Even More TV Timeouts), is >>>> considering four rule changes for 2023:
    1. The clock does not stop after a first down except in the final two
    minutes of each half.
    2. After an incomplete pass, the clock starts on the referee's whistle >>>> instead of the snap.
    3. The first and third quarters do not get an extra play if the last
    play of the quarter was a penalty.
    4. A team cannot call consecutive timeouts (presumably in an attempt
    to ice the opposing kicker).

--

Personally, I think baseball needs to do everything it can to shorten
    games. CFB, not so much.

Most of the newly extended time is the TV time. Fall is one of my busy
    times so I rarely get to watch live football (even when I can I record
    and start a half hour late). I can come in at night, fast forward
    through the commercials and halftime and watch an entire game in less
    than 1.5 hours. I can cut it down to basically 1 hour if I FF between
    plays. Still get to see all the action.

Going to games is often grueling with TV timeouts lasting what seems like 4-5 minutes.

That’s how I used to watch too. If I let a game buffer for an hour and then start that I would usually catch up close to the end.

The problem with that approach was friends who were watching live texting
    me in-game reactions.

--
    “I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian, liberal personality.” — Altie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JGibson@21:1/5 to xyzzy on Mon Apr 24 11:29:11 2023
    On Monday, April 24, 2023 at 12:59:56 PM UTC-4, xyzzy wrote:
    jimbr...@yahoo.com <jimbr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
    On Tuesday, February 21, 2023 at 5:49:15 AM UTC-6, Con Reeder,
    unhyphenated American wrote:
    "Sources" claim that the NCAA football rules committee, wanting to
    shorten games (or, more likely, Divisions II and III - shorten the
    games; Division I - make room for Yet Still Even More TV Timeouts), is >>>> considering four rule changes for 2023:
    1. The clock does not stop after a first down except in the final two >>>> minutes of each half.
    2. After an incomplete pass, the clock starts on the referee's whistle >>>> instead of the snap.
    3. The first and third quarters do not get an extra play if the last >>>> play of the quarter was a penalty.
    4. A team cannot call consecutive timeouts (presumably in an attempt >>>> to ice the opposing kicker).

--

Personally, I think baseball needs to do everything it can to shorten
    games. CFB, not so much.

Most of the newly extended time is the TV time. Fall is one of my busy times so I rarely get to watch live football (even when I can I record
    and start a half hour late). I can come in at night, fast forward
    through the commercials and halftime and watch an entire game in less
    than 1.5 hours. I can cut it down to basically 1 hour if I FF between plays. Still get to see all the action.

That’s how I used to watch too. If I let a game buffer for an hour and then
    start that I would usually catch up close to the end.

The problem with that approach was friends who were watching live texting
    me in-game reactions.

You have to put do not disturb on your phone. I had do that this past year with the Rose Bowl due to kids' bed time in the middle of the game. The only issue I had was that after I finished watching the Rose Bowl, I went to try to catch the rest of the
    Bills - Bengals game only to realize it wasn't there and I had no idea why, while the rest of the world all knew about Damar Hamlin.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 12 17:57:02 2023
    I would not be surprised if that happens in college too. Because, worse, you just gave the kicker TWO shots at it, PLUS FIFTEEN YARDS on the second...

The NCAA rulebook has just been released, and there is no penalty listed for trying to call consecutive timeouts, just as there is no penalty listed for trying to call a fourth timeout in a half. Presumably, if the officials signal one by mistake, it is
    treated as an inadvertent whistle.
    Note that the ban on consecutive timeouts also includes (a) not being able to call a second timeout in the same dead ball period, even if the other team called one after you did, and (b) not being able to call a second one if they tried running a play
    but it was blown dead (e.g. for a false start).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05