• blackwing thoughts.....

From michael anderson@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 15 09:12:31 2023
    Well, it looks like everyone was right......driving around in the car for a day is different than just seeing the pics I guess.

First the interior is *really* substandard. Has a major "chevy with a little extra chrome inside" thrown in feel. It's unfathomable to think a supposed luxury brand has some hard plastic in the inside, but this one does. Ze germans are laughing at
    this interior and saying "see, should have just bought the audi(or beamer or benz).....

Second, the clutch is way to stiff/requires way too much pressure. It's like a workout every time......who designed this?

Third, the car has no steering feel at all and doesn't even feel well planted to the ground. The latter is probably due to the lack of AWD....again, why does this car not have all wheel drive? Their excuse was apparently "oh we wanted to save the weight"
    .....gmafb. Once you are well over 4000 lbs another hundred lbs if that isn't that important. They were just cheap. Feels like this car is constantly on ice....

Yes I get that the car is substantially cheaper than ze germans and you get what you pay for, but it isn't like this is a 65k car. It should be better than this....

I could go on and on but that's just a start. I'm going to drive it for a month or two and see if it grows on me. If not, I'll just do what I should have done in the first place and find or order an RS7 or M5 competition.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From unclejr@21:1/5 to miande...@gmail.com on Sun Jan 15 10:14:45 2023
    On Sunday, January 15, 2023 at 11:12:34 AM UTC-6, miande...@gmail.com wrote:
    Well, it looks like everyone was right......driving around in the car for a day is different than just seeing the pics I guess.

First the interior is *really* substandard. Has a major "chevy with a little extra chrome inside" thrown in feel. It's unfathomable to think a supposed luxury brand has some hard plastic in the inside, but this one does. Ze germans are laughing at this
    interior and saying "see, should have just bought the audi(or beamer or benz).....

Second, the clutch is way to stiff/requires way too much pressure. It's like a workout every time......who designed this?

Third, the car has no steering feel at all and doesn't even feel well planted to the ground. The latter is probably due to the lack of AWD....again, why does this car not have all wheel drive? Their excuse was apparently "oh we wanted to save the
    weight".....gmafb. Once you are well over 4000 lbs another hundred lbs if that isn't that important. They were just cheap. Feels like this car is constantly on ice....

Yes I get that the car is substantially cheaper than ze germans and you get what you pay for, but it isn't like this is a 65k car. It should be better than this....

I could go on and on but that's just a start. I'm going to drive it for a month or two and see if it grows on me. If not, I'll just do what I should have done in the first place and find or order an RS7 or M5 competition.

Have fun breaking it in!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From michael anderson@21:1/5 to unclejr on Sun Jan 15 20:10:47 2023
    On Sunday, January 15, 2023 at 12:14:47 PM UTC-6, unclejr wrote:

First the interior is *really* substandard. Has a major "chevy with a little extra chrome inside" thrown in feel. It's unfathomable to think a supposed luxury brand has some hard plastic in the inside, but this one does. Ze germans are laughing at
    this interior and saying "see, should have just bought the audi(or beamer or benz).....

Third, the car has no steering feel at all and doesn't even feel well planted to the ground. The latter is probably due to the lack of AWD....again, why does this car not have all wheel drive? Their excuse was apparently "oh we wanted to save the
    weight".....gmafb. Once you are well over 4000 lbs another hundred lbs if that isn't that important. They were just cheap. Feels like this car is constantly on ice....

Have fun breaking it in!

unfortunately can't even really break it in because the first 500 miles they limit you automatically to like 4500 rpms. Like it literally won't go above that.

Any rsfckers looking to drop 105k or so on an 2023 american car with 84 miles?

I'll throw in some wrestling tickets as that would seem appropriate. Or nascar lol....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tim VanWagoner@21:1/5 to miande...@gmail.com on Sun Jan 15 20:15:40 2023

First the interior is *really* substandard. Has a major "chevy with a little extra chrome inside" thrown in feel. It's unfathomable to think a supposed luxury brand has some hard plastic in the inside, but this one does. Ze germans are laughing at this
    interior and saying "see, should have just bought the audi(or beamer or benz).....

I have a X3M competition. It’s outstanding. You’d be much better off with the M5 than a Caddy.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From michael anderson@21:1/5 to tim.vanwa...@gmail.com on Sun Jan 15 21:33:31 2023
    On Sunday, January 15, 2023 at 10:15:42 PM UTC-6, tim.vanwa...@gmail.com wrote:

I have a X3M competition. It’s outstanding. You’d be much better off with the M5 than a Caddy.

I was cross shopping a little over a year ago a Jaguar Fpace svr with the X3M comp. Went with the SVR(which got hit) because the SVR rode a lot better(imo), sounded a lot better, and there are literally 500 X3s(and lots of X3Ms too) per square foot here.
    Which that latter point I actually kinda liked(because I like conformity). But another problem I had with the X3M was that the torque curve wasn't ideal for my type of driving(I don't buzz around at a high rpm, and at the rpms I drive at the lesser
    version whatever they call it....x330m or something?...actually feels faster). but anyways my SVR got hit....

The problem with the M5 was that it is more expensive(although not as much more expensive as msrps when you consider attainability/availability/adms and such) but even more than that it doesn't offer a manual.
    I kinda wanted a sedan with a manual. Yes you can get that in an M3 but that's a different tier car and the comp for that is
    the Blackwing 4. Put a manual in an M5 or especially an RS7 and that's the one I would get. So yeah in a way you are right.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TE@21:1/5 to tim.vanwa...@gmail.com on Mon Jan 16 19:12:30 2023
    On Sunday, January 15, 2023 at 11:15:42 PM UTC-5, tim.vanwa...@gmail.com wrote:

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-bmw-m5-cs-vs-2022-cadillac-ct5-v-blackwing-2021-mercedes-amg-gt63-s-comparison-test-review/

But not, apparently, a Mercedes AMG GT63S

-TE

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From xyzzy@21:1/5 to randorwell@gmail.com on Tue Jan 17 03:17:56 2023
    TE <randorwell@gmail.com> wrote:
    On Sunday, January 15, 2023 at 11:12:34 AM UTC-6, miande...@gmail.com wrote: >>> Well, it looks like everyone was right......driving around in the car
    for a day is different than just seeing the pics I guess.

First the interior is *really* substandard. Has a major "chevy with a
    little extra chrome inside" thrown in feel. It's unfathomable to think
    a supposed luxury brand has some hard plastic in the inside, but this
    one does. Ze germans are laughing at this interior and saying "see,
    should have just bought the audi(or beamer or benz).....

Second, the clutch is way to stiff/requires way too much pressure. It's
    like a workout every time......who designed this?

Third, the car has no steering feel at all and doesn't even feel well
    planted to the ground. The latter is probably due to the lack of
    AWD....again, why does this car not have all wheel drive? Their excuse
    was apparently "oh we wanted to save the weight".....gmafb. Once you
    are well over 4000 lbs another hundred lbs if that isn't that
    important. They were just cheap. Feels like this car is constantly on ice....

Yes I get that the car is substantially cheaper than ze germans and you
    get what you pay for, but it isn't like this is a 65k car. It should be
    better than this....

I could go on and on but that's just a start. I'm going to drive it for
    a month or two and see if it grows on me. If not, I'll just do what I
    should have done in the first place and find or order an RS7 or M5 competition.
    I have a X3M competition. It’s outstanding. You’d be much better off
    with the M5 than a Caddy.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-bmw-m5-cs-vs-2022-cadillac-ct5-v-blackwing-2021-mercedes-amg-gt63-s-comparison-test-review/

For some reasons the first two articles in this thread are not available on Eternal September.

Never seen that before

--
    “I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian, liberal personality.” — Altie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From michael anderson@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 17 06:40:41 2023
    On Monday, January 16, 2023 at 9:12:32 PM UTC-6, TE wrote:

to be completely fair to the comparison, the article reviewed an M5 CS and Tim mentioned just an M5. That's quite a different car(there is even a car in between those in the M5 competition). Additionally, the M5CS isn't even available in 2023(I think
    it was a one off in 2022?), is ridiculously limited and not really an option to buy for normal buyers, and is also like 165k I believe(so I completely different price point).

Whereas an M5(even an M5 comp) are *very easy* to buy. My guess is many/most dealers have one on the lot now. If not it can be easily ordered. And you can even get some off msrp i bet with one on the lot or an order. Whereas the Blackwing just isn't
    really available right now and if you don't find one out of state one can expect to pay an adm. That said the M5 would still usually come out to be a more expensive car even after a modest adm is considered.

Another little quibble with the review is that the review drove an automatic Blackwing. Most people are spec'ing the manual version. Plus the manual version is standard and that's the one that has gotten all the attention.

That said.....I probably should have bought the M5 comp or RS7 or even mercedes(although I didn't like the looks of that car and never really considered it)

-TE

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05