• Re: Orange Bowl selection question

From JGibson@21:1/5 to JGibson on Thu Dec 1 12:03:44 2022
    On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 2:59:06 PM UTC-5, JGibson wrote:
    So, let's say the rumors floating around that the Rose Bowl skips Ohio State in favor of Penn State are true? Does the Orange have to take the highest rated among Big Ten / SEC / Notre Dame or is their some leeway in that clause such that they could
    still take Tenneesee? I think if I were a bowl game, I'd rather have Tenneesee, whose fans seem excited to make a NY6 bowl, compared to Ohio State, whose fans are disappointed that the team didn't (at least under this scenario, I realize they might still
    make it, making this discussion moot) make the CFP.

So I since read the Orange Bowl selection rules, and it seems they are required to take the highest ranked team available. Except that the Big Ten is guaranteed 3 years to the Orange Bowl and the SEC is guaranteed 3 years the Orange Bowl in the 8 year
    contract (other two years Orange is a semifinal). But I'm not sure when exactly the 8 years are,

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From JGibson@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 1 11:59:03 2022
    So, let's say the rumors floating around that the Rose Bowl skips Ohio State in favor of Penn State are true? Does the Orange have to take the highest rated among Big Ten / SEC / Notre Dame or is their some leeway in that clause such that they could
    still take Tenneesee? I think if I were a bowl game, I'd rather have Tenneesee, whose fans seem excited to make a NY6 bowl, compared to Ohio State, whose fans are disappointed that the team didn't (at least under this scenario, I realize they might
    still make it, making this discussion moot) make the CFP.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JGibson@21:1/5 to JGibson on Thu Dec 1 12:15:54 2022
    On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 3:03:47 PM UTC-5, JGibson wrote:
    On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 2:59:06 PM UTC-5, JGibson wrote:
    still take Tenneesee? I think if I were a bowl game, I'd rather have Tenneesee, whose fans seem excited to make a NY6 bowl, compared to Ohio State, whose fans are disappointed that the team didn't (at least under this scenario, I realize they might still
    make it, making this discussion moot) make the CFP.
    So I since read the Orange Bowl selection rules, and it seems they are required to take the highest ranked team available. Except that the Big Ten is guaranteed 3 years to the Orange Bowl and the SEC is guaranteed 3 years the Orange Bowl in the 8 year
    contract (other two years Orange is a semifinal). But I'm not sure when exactly the 8 years are,

My mistake: 8 years are when the Orange Bowl is not a seminal. It's the 12 year deal for the CFP. 2024 and 2025 are going to be cut with the new CFP. So, this is year #9.

Previous 8 years:
    Semifinal
    Texas A&M (SEC)
    Florida (SEC)
    Semifinal
    Wisconsin (Big Ten)
    Michigan (Big Ten)
    Semifinal
    Mississippi State (SEC)

Looks like the SEC has hit their 3 team allotment, but the Big Ten has not. But I'm not sure how cutting it from 12 years to 10 years plays out with that clause.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05