• Maine at New Mexico - why?

From JGibson@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 4 09:24:55 2022
    Well, New Mexico won 41-0, so I guess I see it from their perspective. But I can't imagine this game paid off very well for Maine. New Mexico is a team that needs pay out games for its budget, not a team that pays patsies for coming to visit. I wonder
    what percentage of their payoff for the sacrificial game they will play at LSU in a couple weeks went to Maine?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From TE@21:1/5 to JGibson on Sun Sep 4 11:42:22 2022
    On Sunday, September 4, 2022 at 12:24:57 PM UTC-4, JGibson wrote:

Well, New Mexico won 41-0, so I guess I see it from their perspective. But I can't
    imagine this game paid off very well for Maine. New Mexico is a team that needs
    pay out games for its budget, not a team that pays patsies for coming to visit. I
    wonder what percentage of their payoff for the sacrificial game they will play at
    LSU in a couple weeks went to Maine?

Thought it was a conference game.

-TE

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 4 15:19:24 2022
    The better question should be, for college football:

Maine or New Mexico... Why???

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JGibson@21:1/5 to Michael Falkner on Tue Sep 6 04:13:41 2022
    On Sunday, September 4, 2022 at 6:19:26 PM UTC-4, Michael Falkner wrote:

Mike

For the same reason anybody plays college football. Why did my D3 school play college football? Certainly, not to win a D1 national championship.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From xyzzy@21:1/5 to JGibson on Tue Sep 6 16:04:28 2022
    JGibson <james.m.gibson@gmail.com> wrote:
    Well, New Mexico won 41-0, so I guess I see it from their perspective.
    But I can't imagine this game paid off very well for Maine. New Mexico
    is a team that needs pay out games for its budget, not a team that pays patsies for coming to visit. I wonder what percentage of their payoff
    for the sacrificial game they will play at LSU in a couple weeks went to Maine?

Isn’t one of those teams Independent? It’s hard for independents to schedule games.

--
    “I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian, liberal personality.” — Altie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JGibson@21:1/5 to xyzzy on Tue Sep 6 09:24:47 2022
    On Tuesday, September 6, 2022 at 12:04:32 PM UTC-4, xyzzy wrote:
    JGibson <james.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
    Well, New Mexico won 41-0, so I guess I see it from their perspective.
    But I can't imagine this game paid off very well for Maine. New Mexico
    is a team that needs pay out games for its budget, not a team that pays patsies for coming to visit. I wonder what percentage of their payoff
    for the sacrificial game they will play at LSU in a couple weeks went to Maine?

Isn’t one of those teams Independent? It’s hard for independents to schedule games.

No. It's New Mexico State that's independent. New Mexico is a member of the Mountain West. Maine is a 1AA/FCS team that plays in the Colonial.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to JGibson on Tue Sep 6 11:52:22 2022
    On Tuesday, September 6, 2022 at 4:13:43 AM UTC-7, JGibson wrote:

For the same reason anybody plays college football. Why did my D3 school play college football? Certainly, not to win a D1 national championship.

To win a D3 one, though.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Tue Sep 6 16:07:50 2022

For the same reason anybody plays college football.

Well, I wouldn't go quite that far. I can think of quite a few people at a number of, say, SEC schools whose reasons for playing college football are far different than, say, pretty much anybody playing D3. Why do most people go to college in the first
    place? To be better prepared for whatever job they will be doing when they get out - and for quite a few people, this is being in the NFL.

On the other hand, the original question does make a little sense; why Maine vs. New Mexico instead of, say, Maine vs. Buffalo and New Mexico vs. Texas A&M-Commerce? This is something that seriously needs to be considered for sports outside of FBS, if
    not outside of what the Power 5 ends up as, and men's basketball. No, there's no "need" for Washington to play UCLA in home-and-home baseball series every season.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JGibson@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Tue Sep 6 18:11:37 2022
    On Tuesday, September 6, 2022 at 7:07:52 PM UTC-4, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:

For the same reason anybody plays college football.
    Well, I wouldn't go quite that far. I can think of quite a few people at a number of, say, SEC schools whose reasons for playing college football are far different than, say, pretty much anybody playing D3. Why do most people go to college in the first
    place? To be better prepared for whatever job they will be doing when they get out - and for quite a few people, this is being in the NFL.

Shouldn't have said anybody. But anybody at the lower levels. Brian Urlacher notwithstanding, New Mexico isn't exactly cranking out football stars. Maine even less being that they play 1/2 a division down and don't seem to be on par with Montana or
    North Dakota State.

On the other hand, the original question does make a little sense; why Maine vs. New Mexico instead of, say, Maine vs. Buffalo and New Mexico vs. Texas A&M-Commerce? This is something that seriously needs to be considered for sports outside of FBS, if
    not outside of what the Power 5 ends up as, and men's basketball. No, there's no "need" for Washington to play UCLA in home-and-home baseball series every season.

This is more what I'm getting at. It's a one-off game, not a series, and it hardly seems like New Mexico is going to pay enough to make the trip worth it for Maine. I understand the payout games. New Mexico has one at LSU in a couple weeks. And being
    the 1/2 division down, it probably makes sense for Maine to get a game at a lower tier FBS school, but that's a long way.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RoddyMcCorley@21:1/5 to JGibson on Wed Sep 7 00:38:25 2022
    On 9/4/2022 12:24 PM, JGibson wrote:
    Well, New Mexico won 41-0, so I guess I see it from their perspective. But I can't imagine this game paid off very well for Maine. New Mexico is a team that needs pay out games for its budget, not a team that pays patsies for coming to visit. I
    wonder what percentage of their payoff for the sacrificial game they will play at LSU in a couple weeks went to Maine?

"UMaine football will be paid $750K to play 2 high-level ...https://www.bangordailynews.com › News
    Aug 24, 2021 — UMaine will earn a $400,000 payout from Boston College
    and $350,000 from New Mexico. · Boston College leads the all-time series
    6-3 including ..."

Saw another article where the Bears were raising their head coaching
    salary from around $153K to about $400K. The lost good staff to other,
    higher paying schools.

--
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In
    practice, there is." Ruben Goldberg

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to RoddyMcCorley on Tue Sep 6 21:43:27 2022
    On Tuesday, September 6, 2022 at 9:38:29 PM UTC-7, RoddyMcCorley wrote:
    Well, New Mexico won 41-0, so I guess I see it from their perspective. But I can't imagine this game paid off very well for Maine. New Mexico is a team that needs pay out games for its budget, not a team that pays patsies for coming to visit. I
    wonder what percentage of their payoff for the sacrificial game they will play at LSU in a couple weeks went to Maine?
    "UMaine football will be paid $750K to play 2 high-level ...https://www.bangordailynews.com › News
    and $350,000 from New Mexico. · Boston College leads the all-time series 6-3 including ..."

To answer JGibson's question, according to a 2018 article on the New Mexico-LSU scheduling: Precisely 25%.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RoddyMcCorley@21:1/5 to JGibson on Wed Sep 7 00:43:27 2022

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!

"Utah State had a spectacular 2021 season and finished the season ranked
    No. 24 in the final AP Poll. They look to replicate that success in 2022
    with the help of Head Coach Blake Anderson and returning quarterback
    Logan Bonner.

However, even a team that was ranked in the Top 25 last season and won
    their bowl game is not beneath scheduling a payout game.

Utah State will reportedly receive $1.91 million to travel to Tuscaloosa
    and face the No. 1 ranked team in the country in Week 1 of the 2022
    college football season.

That figure is one of the largest payouts in the history of college
    football. Only Colorado State ($2 million from Florida) and Tulane
    ($1.93 million from Auburn) have received bigger payouts than Utah State."

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to RoddyMcCorley on Tue Sep 6 21:54:07 2022
    On Tuesday, September 6, 2022 at 9:43:31 PM UTC-7, RoddyMcCorley wrote:

Two points of order:

1) That game was scheduled in 2018 -- and Utah State's payout was, then, the third-highest for a road team in such a situation in the history of the NCAA.

2) Given the gap between Bama and #25 or so at this point, would that not actually be partially appropo here???

Here's a hint: A team ranked in the Top 25 last season was a THIRTY-EIGHT POINT UNDERDOG to Alabama in Week 1 of this season.

And Bama covered FIFTY-FIVE TO NOTHING.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RoddyMcCorley@21:1/5 to Michael Falkner on Wed Sep 7 01:26:32 2022
    On 9/7/2022 12:54 AM, Michael Falkner wrote:
    On Tuesday, September 6, 2022 at 9:43:31 PM UTC-7, RoddyMcCorley wrote:

Two points of order:

1) That game was scheduled in 2018 -- and Utah State's payout was, then, the third-highest for a road team in such a situation in the history of the NCAA.

2) Given the gap between Bama and #25 or so at this point, would that not actually be partially appropo here???

Here's a hint: A team ranked in the Top 25 last season was a THIRTY-EIGHT POINT UNDERDOG to Alabama in Week 1 of this season.

And Bama covered FIFTY-FIVE TO NOTHING.

Mike

$1.91 million eases the pain.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JGibson@21:1/5 to RoddyMcCorley on Wed Sep 7 06:29:12 2022
    On Wednesday, September 7, 2022 at 12:38:29 AM UTC-4, RoddyMcCorley wrote:
    and $350,000 from New Mexico. · Boston College leads the all-time series 6-3 including ..."

I tried to find that number and couldn't find it. Thanks. The trip to BC makes perfect sense from Maine's perspective. $400k and it's a reasonably close trip. The only close conference opponent for Maine is New Hampshire. And from BC's perspective,
    it's a modest fee and a home game that they will win. New Mexico is paying $50k less, and the trip is extremely long. And from New Mexico's POV, I would think they would want that LSU money to support their entire athletic department and not have to
    pay Maine 1/4 of that payout. Although maybe that's the same that they paid Houston Baptist, Sam Houston State, Incarnate Word, or Abilene Christian (their previous 4 guarantee games, all teams from Texas).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RoddyMcCorley@21:1/5 to JGibson on Wed Sep 7 14:07:28 2022
    On 9/7/2022 9:29 AM, JGibson wrote:
    On Wednesday, September 7, 2022 at 12:38:29 AM UTC-4, RoddyMcCorley wrote:
    "UMaine football will be paid $750K to play 2 high-level
    ...https://www.bangordailynews.com › News
    and $350,000 from New Mexico. · Boston College leads the all-time series
    6-3 including ..."

I tried to find that number and couldn't find it. Thanks. The trip to BC makes perfect sense from Maine's perspective. $400k and it's a reasonably close trip. The only close conference opponent for Maine is New Hampshire. And from BC's perspective,
    it's a modest fee and a home game that they will win. New Mexico is paying $50k less, and the trip is extremely long. And from New Mexico's POV, I would think they would want that LSU money to support their entire athletic department and not have to
    pay Maine 1/4 of that payout. Although maybe that's the same that they paid Houston Baptist, Sam Houston State, Incarnate Word, or Abilene Christian (their previous 4 guarantee games, all teams from Texas).

As a casual observer, it seems that good FCS teams typically are not
    penalized for losing to decent FBS schools. So why not collect a fat
    payday and maybe go home with a win?

Interesting: https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/fcs-wins-vs-fbs-teams-all-time-victories-upsets?utm_campaign=links-bundle-asset

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From xyzzy@21:1/5 to RoddyMcCorley on Wed Sep 7 23:45:19 2022
    RoddyMcCorley <Roddy.McCorley@verizon.net> wrote:
    On 9/7/2022 9:29 AM, JGibson wrote:
    On Wednesday, September 7, 2022 at 12:38:29 AM UTC-4, RoddyMcCorley wrote: >>> On 9/4/2022 12:24 PM, JGibson wrote:
    Well, New Mexico won 41-0, so I guess I see it from their perspective. >>>> But I can't imagine this game paid off very well for Maine. New Mexico >>>> is a team that needs pay out games for its budget, not a team that
    pays patsies for coming to visit. I wonder what percentage of their
    payoff for the sacrificial game they will play at LSU in a couple weeks went to Maine?
    "UMaine football will be paid $750K to play 2 high-level
    ...https://www.bangordailynews.com › News
    and $350,000 from New Mexico. · Boston College leads the all-time series >>> 6-3 including ..."

I tried to find that number and couldn't find it. Thanks. The trip to
    BC makes perfect sense from Maine's perspective. $400k and it's a
    reasonably close trip. The only close conference opponent for Maine is
    New Hampshire. And from BC's perspective, it's a modest fee and a home
    game that they will win. New Mexico is paying $50k less, and the trip
    is extremely long. And from New Mexico's POV, I would think they would
    want that LSU money to support their entire athletic department and not
    have to pay Maine 1/4 of that payout. Although maybe that's the same
    that they paid Houston Baptist, Sam Houston State, Incarnate Word, or
    Abilene Christian (their previous 4 guarantee games, all teams from Texas). >>

As a casual observer, it seems that good FCS teams typically are not penalized for losing to decent FBS schools. So why not collect a fat
    payday and maybe go home with a win?

Interesting: https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/fcs-wins-vs-fbs-teams-all-time-victories-upsets?utm_campaign=links-bundle-asset

That was a cool trip through history. Appalachian State sure beat Wake
    Forest a lot.

However I did see at least one inaccuracy, they have Richmond beating
    Virginia in 1985. They actually beat Virginia Tech. I was in school then
    and remember that team well. This was when VT was still on academic
    quarters and school started in late September. The Hokies were 0-3 and 0-2
    at home before the students even set foot on campus. Most importantly, they
    did beat Virginia that year and finished 6-5.

--
    “I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian, liberal personality.” — Altie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From michael anderson@21:1/5 to JGibson on Thu Sep 8 17:29:41 2022
    On Sunday, September 4, 2022 at 11:24:57 AM UTC-5, JGibson wrote:
    Well, New Mexico won 41-0, so I guess I see it from their perspective. But I can't imagine this game paid off very well for Maine. New Mexico is a team that needs pay out games for its budget, not a team that pays patsies for coming to visit. I wonder
    what percentage of their payoff for the sacrificial game they will play at LSU in a couple weeks went to Maine?

So I think there are a couple key points for these type of games that nobody has mentioned.

A team like Maine *doesn't have* and *doesn't get* the sort of bigtime paydays the most sought after FBS patsies(it used to be called 'group of 5' back when there was a 'power 5' conference setup). Programs in conferences like the mountain west, sunbelt,
    etc can get almost 2 million dollars now when a massive program buys a game. So Ohio State may give a mAC school 1.5 mill or Bama may give Utah State 1.9 million, but those schools aren't giving the Maines of the world that sort of cash.

iow it costs a lot more for bama to 'buy a game' from a team like Utah State than Samford or something.

And in return schools like Samford and Maine have less opportunity total.

But to your question about 'what's in it for new mexico'? Well I guess an alternative would be to schedule a 1/1 ooc with teams like New mexico? The problem with that is that's going to include 1 game where you are on the road traveling($$$) with no
    gate. My guess is what they had to pay for the game with Maine compares fairly well with what it would cost to play the road game of that 1/1 with a new mexico type team had they done that instead. So that was probably their decision making.....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 8 19:36:29 2022
    My question is why these schools even have college football, unless they want to go down a level from where they are?

And then that question might go double.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JGibson@21:1/5 to miande...@gmail.com on Fri Sep 9 10:20:54 2022
    On Thursday, September 8, 2022 at 8:29:43 PM UTC-4, miande...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Sunday, September 4, 2022 at 11:24:57 AM UTC-5, JGibson wrote:
    So I think there are a couple key points for these type of games that nobody has mentioned.

A team like Maine *doesn't have* and *doesn't get* the sort of bigtime paydays the most sought after FBS patsies(it used to be called 'group of 5' back when there was a 'power 5' conference setup). Programs in conferences like the mountain west,
    sunbelt, etc can get almost 2 million dollars now when a massive program buys a game. So Ohio State may give a mAC school 1.5 mill or Bama may give Utah State 1.9 million, but those schools aren't giving the Maines of the world that sort of cash.

Maine got $400k from BC compared to $350k from UNM. That just sounds like $50k different, but the trip to New Mexico had to have a tone more travel expense than the trip to Boston. So the difference was probably much more substantial than $50k once
    costs are factored in.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05