• This can't be right - the NCAA puts common sense over "gender parity"

From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 11 14:42:16 2022
    Remember all of that talk about how the NCAA needed to bring women's basketball up to some sort of parity with men's basketball? The Division I Women's Basketball Championship Committee seems to have a strange idea of how to do this.

First (and this is one of the smartest things the committee has done since getting rid of neutral-site first weekend games), even though it pretty much promised there would be a Dayton-style site for the First Four, in the next five tournaments, the four
    First Four games will each be played in the arena where the winner would play its first round game.

Second, the committee decided to hold both the east and south regionals in Greenville, SC, and both the midwest and west regionals in Seattle - because nothing says "make women's basketball more widely available to the public" than by getting rid of two
    cities hosting regionals.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 11 16:23:51 2022
    It doesn't matter. Even if the NCAA adjudicates women's basketball, it's a done deal and the bigots will get to blame exactly who they wanted to blame. It'll be in a few years when Title IX is completely killed and women's sports are treated as the "
    don't care" they really are -- especially once even high-testosterone cis-female athletes are driven off...

(Probable Example One: Serena Williams.)

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Con Reeder, unhyphenated American@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Sun Aug 14 06:33:21 2022
    On 2022-08-11, The NOTBCS Guy <don.p.del.grande@gmail.com> wrote:
    Remember all of that talk about how the NCAA needed to bring women's basketball up to some sort of parity with men's basketball? The Division I Women's Basketball Championship Committee seems to have a strange idea of how to do this.

First (and this is one of the smartest things the committee has done since getting rid of neutral-site first weekend games), even though it pretty much promised there would be a Dayton-style site for the First Four, in the next five tournaments, the
    four First Four games will each be played in the arena where the winner would play its first round game.

Second, the committee decided to hold both the east and south regionals in Greenville, SC, and both the midwest and west regionals in Seattle - because nothing says "make women's basketball more widely available to the public" than by getting rid of
    two cities hosting regionals.

Maybe if they encouraged "trans" players so they could bring their level of play
    up to the male high school level?

--
    The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on my
    life. ... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90%
    how I react to it. And so it is for you... we are in charge of our
    attitudes. -- Charles Swindoll

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to unhyphenated American on Sun Aug 14 09:53:16 2022
    On Saturday, August 13, 2022 at 11:33:24 PM UTC-7, Con Reeder, unhyphenated American wrote:

Maybe if they encouraged "trans" players so they could bring their level of play
    up to the male high school level?

You bigots are going to get your REAL wish, AND you're going to be able to blame "them" too for it.

You probably tried to grab some pussy at a game and got a surprise anyway.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Wed Aug 24 14:10:41 2022
    On Wednesday, August 24, 2022 at 1:41:13 PM UTC-7, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:
    They did it again: the Division I women's basketball championship game will be on a Sunday afternoon. Apparently, somebody wants it aired on ABC instead of ESPN, and God forbid that ABC pre-empt American Idol for women's basketball.

And they're going to find out how little interest there actually is in the women's game (or women's sports in general) when the ratings come out.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 24 13:41:11 2022
    They did it again: the Division I women's basketball championship game will be on a Sunday afternoon. Apparently, somebody wants it aired on ABC instead of ESPN, and God forbid that ABC pre-empt American Idol for women's basketball.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TE@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Wed Aug 24 16:15:04 2022
    On Wednesday, August 24, 2022 at 4:41:13 PM UTC-4, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:

They did it again: the Division I women's basketball championship game will be on a Sunday afternoon.
    Apparently, somebody wants it aired on ABC instead of ESPN, and God forbid that ABC pre-empt
    American Idol for women's basketball.

I bet ads for American Idol would get more views.

-TE

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 24 16:27:26 2022
    And they're going to find out how little interest there actually is in the women's game (or women's sports in general) when the ratings come out.

Actually, ratings for the Women's Final Four have been higher than the WNBA Finals in past years. Then again, ratings for the Men's Final Four have been higher than the NBA Finals as well. Still, I expect a ratings drop for an afternoon game.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 24 23:11:16 2022
    On Wednesday, August 24, 2022 at 4:15:06 PM UTC-7, TE wrote:

One of the reasons women's sports is doomed.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TE@21:1/5 to Michael Falkner on Thu Aug 25 07:22:47 2022
    On Thursday, August 25, 2022 at 2:11:18 AM UTC-4, Michael Falkner wrote:

The marketing for the WNBA and Women's Final Four and the way it is handled in the media is dreadful.
    While they don't explicitly say, "if you don't watch this you are a bigoted piece of shit" it comes across
    that way. Ads which suggest that Sue Bird is somehow on the same plain as Larry Bird don't help.

The product is inferior to men's basketball, so stop pretending its analogous. Sell it as entertainment
    like the XFL or a women's Gus Macker tourney.

-TE

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 25 10:04:27 2022
    On Thursday, August 25, 2022 at 7:22:49 AM UTC-7, TE wrote:

The marketing for the WNBA and Women's Final Four and the way it is handled in the media is dreadful.
    While they don't explicitly say, "if you don't watch this you are a bigoted piece of shit" it comes across
    that way. Ads which suggest that Sue Bird is somehow on the same plain as Larry Bird don't help.

In an increasing basis, it would be true if it didn't prove the bigots' point that the only point to women's sports was trying to find pussy to grab after the final horn. It's one of the reasons that we won't have women's sports in about five years.

The product is inferior to men's basketball, so stop pretending its analogous. Sell it as entertainment

Might as well have the teams perform burlesque at halftime then.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JGibson@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Thu Aug 25 10:41:51 2022
    On Thursday, August 25, 2022 at 1:17:33 PM UTC-4, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:
    The problem is, this is exactly what was said about other sports - for example, tennis, where, not that long ago, the #200 or so ranked man in the world beat Venus Williams in one set, then immediately beat Serena in the second set as well - but this
    didn't stop all four majors from guaranteeing equal pay for the men and women.

Sell it as what it is - women's basketball. Find the target audience. Don't widen the net too far.
    Women's sports aren't going anywhere - we're not going back to the days where they tried to drag women who tried to run the Boston Marathon off the course - but it could come down to, fold the WNBA, form some European women's superleague, and televise
    that, the way NBC airs English Premier League soccer.

Hopefully, the demands for "full equality" won't result in the sport changing to everybody having to play coed basketball, with the women playing the first half and the men playing the second half.

No - 5 people on the court per team at a time, with at least 2 women required (more is okay). Women's baskets worth 2x men's baskets.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 25 10:17:30 2022

The problem is, this is exactly what was said about other sports - for example, tennis, where, not that long ago, the #200 or so ranked man in the world beat Venus Williams in one set, then immediately beat Serena in the second set as well - but this

Sell it as what it is - women's basketball. Find the target audience. Don't widen the net too far.
    Women's sports aren't going anywhere - we're not going back to the days where they tried to drag women who tried to run the Boston Marathon off the course - but it could come down to, fold the WNBA, form some European women's superleague, and televise
    that, the way NBC airs English Premier League soccer.

Hopefully, the demands for "full equality" won't result in the sport changing to everybody having to play coed basketball, with the women playing the first half and the men playing the second half.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JGibson@21:1/5 to JGibson on Thu Aug 25 10:42:55 2022
    On Thursday, August 25, 2022 at 1:41:54 PM UTC-4, JGibson wrote:

Women's sports aren't going anywhere - we're not going back to the days where they tried to drag women who tried to run the Boston Marathon off the course - but it could come down to, fold the WNBA, form some European women's superleague, and
    televise that, the way NBC airs English Premier League soccer.

No - 5 people on the court per team at a time, with at least 2 women required (more is okay). Women's baskets worth 2x men's baskets.

And, yes, I am basing this on some intramural rules that I once played with (not in basketball but in amalgam of sports here).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From xyzzy@21:1/5 to JGibson on Thu Aug 25 18:46:45 2022
    JGibson <james.m.gibson@gmail.com> wrote:
    On Thursday, August 25, 2022 at 1:41:54 PM UTC-4, JGibson wrote:
    The product is inferior to men's basketball, so stop pretending its
    analogous. Sell it as entertainment
    The problem is, this is exactly what was said about other sports - for
    example, tennis, where, not that long ago, the #200 or so ranked man in
    the world beat Venus Williams in one set, then immediately beat Serena
    in the second set as well - but this didn't stop all four majors from
    guaranteeing equal pay for the men and women.

Sell it as what it is - women's basketball. Find the target audience.
    Don't widen the net too far.
    Women's sports aren't going anywhere - we're not going back to the days
    where they tried to drag women who tried to run the Boston Marathon off
    the course - but it could come down to, fold the WNBA, form some
    European women's superleague, and televise that, the way NBC airs
    English Premier League soccer.

Hopefully, the demands for "full equality" won't result in the sport
    changing to everybody having to play coed basketball, with the women
    playing the first half and the men playing the second half.
    No - 5 people on the court per team at a time, with at least 2 women
    required (more is okay). Women's baskets worth 2x men's baskets.

And, yes, I am basing this on some intramural rules that I once played
    with (not in basketball but in amalgam of sports here).

I used to play co-Rec 4 man sand volleyball. The rule was that a woman had
    to be on the court for each team at all times. Sometimes to avoid a
    forfeit when the team’s women weren’t available one of the guys’ girlfriend
    or wife would literally sit in the back corner of the court with a book, so
    the three men could play. They didn’t like it when I served to her.

As if I was good enough to control where my serves went.

--
    “I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian, liberal personality.” — Altie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ken Olson@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 25 14:25:18 2022
    On 8/25/2022 10:22 AM, TE wrote:
    On Thursday, August 25, 2022 at 2:11:18 AM UTC-4, Michael Falkner wrote:

-TE

I grew up with the Macker founders.

--
    ÄLSKAR - Fänga Dagen

Слава Україні та НАТО

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 25 12:26:43 2022

Or, a return to the old 6-on-6 rules, but in this case, one half of the court has 3 men from each team, and the other half has 3 women. In effect, it's two simultaneous 3-on-3 games.
    You do have the problem that each team's men can only score points in one half of the game. You have the further problem that you would have to change overtime to, say, two 3-minute periods at a time so that each team's men have an equal opportunity to
    score points.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TE@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Thu Aug 25 14:22:11 2022
    On Thursday, August 25, 2022 at 3:26:45 PM UTC-4, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:
    Or, a return to the old 6-on-6 rules, but in this case, one half of the court has 3 men from each team, and the other half has 3 women. In effect, it's two simultaneous 3-on-3 games.

You do have the problem that each team's men can only score points in one half of the game. You have the further problem
    that you would have to change overtime to, say, two 3-minute periods at a time so that each team's men have an equal
    opportunity to score points.

...of course true equality would mean the end of single-sex sports. The best players play, regardless of
    sex. 1 Varsity bball, volleyball team etc. No crap about Title IX or trans people etc.

If female athletes wanted to be treated the same as male athletes, the vast majority of women collegiate
    sports would vanish.

-TE

"Nation’s Nerds Wake Up In Utopia Where Everyone Stays Inside, Sports Are Canceled, Social Interaction Forbidden."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 25 21:54:56 2022
    On Thursday, August 25, 2022 at 2:22:13 PM UTC-7, TE wrote:

...of course true equality would mean the end of single-sex sports. The best players play, regardless of
    sex. 1 Varsity bball, volleyball team etc. No crap about Title IX or trans people etc.

If female athletes wanted to be treated the same as male athletes, the vast majority of women
    sports would vanish.

FIFY.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 26 07:10:42 2022
    If female athletes wanted to be treated the same as male athletes, the vast majority of women
    sports would vanish.

FIFY.

You got rid of the wrong word.
    If female athletes really wanted to be treated the same as male athletes, all college sports would vanish.
    The problem is, I know people who are convinced this is the best possible result for colleges.

At least California gets it right (sort of), in terms of high school sports: (Some girl) "I want to play on the boys' golf team!"
    (School) "Sorry, but we have a girls' golf team, so you have to play on that." (Girl) "But I'm good enough to play against the boys! THAT'S NOT FAIR!" (School) "Tell that to the boy whose spot on the boys' team you would take, who then can't, unlike you, play on the girls' team. How would it be fair to him?"
    If the school didn't have a girls' golf team, then she could play on the boys' team, but then it gets messy in terms of the state championships.
    Also, it doesn't quite work that way for boys who, say, want to play volleyball but the school has only a girls' team.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Con Reeder, unhyphenated American@21:1/5 to unhyphenated American on Fri Aug 26 16:37:44 2022
    On 2022-08-26, Con Reeder, unhyphenated American <constance@duxmail.com> wrote:
    On 2022-08-26, The NOTBCS Guy <don.p.del.grande@gmail.com> wrote:
    sports would vanish.

FIFY.

If female athletes really wanted to be treated the same as male athletes, all college sports would vanish.
    The problem is, I know people who are convinced this is the best possible result for colleges.

At least California gets it right (sort of), in terms of high school sports: >> (Some girl) "I want to play on the boys' golf team!"
    (School) "Sorry, but we have a girls' golf team, so you have to play on that."
    (Girl) "But I'm good enough to play against the boys! THAT'S NOT
    FAIR!" (School) "Tell that to the boy whose spot on the boys' team
    you would take, who then can't, unlike you, play on the girls' team.
    How would it be fair to him?" If the school didn't have a girls'
    golf team, then she could play on the boys' team, but then it gets
    messy in terms of the state championships.
    Also, it doesn't quite work that way for boys who, say, want to play
    volleyball but the school has only a girls' team.

This is done in chess and bridge all the time. We have Women's events and open events. Until about 1990 we kept one Men's event, then the usual whining suspects killed that.

It's really disgusting when it comes to Men's clubs. You can have Women's clubs,
    but not Men's clubs.

I suppose eventually we'll get some "transgender" women who will win the Women's
    world championship....

Hey -- if I want to win a world championship, I have a path...assuming my gag reflex
    could be controlled.

--
    How far can you open your
    mind before your brains
    fall out?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Con Reeder, unhyphenated American@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Fri Aug 26 16:36:21 2022
    sports would vanish.

FIFY.

At least California gets it right (sort of), in terms of high school sports: (Some girl) "I want to play on the boys' golf team!"
    (Girl) "But I'm good enough to play against the boys! THAT'S NOT
    FAIR!" (School) "Tell that to the boy whose spot on the boys' team
    you would take, who then can't, unlike you, play on the girls' team.
    How would it be fair to him?" If the school didn't have a girls'
    golf team, then she could play on the boys' team, but then it gets
    messy in terms of the state championships.
    Also, it doesn't quite work that way for boys who, say, want to play volleyball but the school has only a girls' team.

This is done in chess and bridge all the time. We have Women's events and
    open events. Until about 1990 we kept one Men's event, then the usual whining suspects killed that.

It's really disgusting when it comes to Men's clubs. You can have Women's clubs,
    but not Men's clubs.

I suppose eventually we'll get some "transgender" women who will win the Women's
    world championship....

--
    Tolerance will reach such a level that intelligent people will be
    banned fromj thinking so as not to offend the imbeciles.
    -- Dostoevsky

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 26 11:52:10 2022
    world championship....

This isn't about a transgender, but Massachusetts has had this problem at both ends.
    In 2011, a boy who went to a school that didn't have a boys' swimming team was allowed to compete on his school's girls' swimming team, and compete in the state girls' championships as a result - which, as you might expect, he won rather easily.
    Presumably, Massachusetts changed its rules right after that, as in 2017, a Massachusetts girl who went to a school that didn't have a girls' golf team was allowed to compete on her school's boys' golf team. The team qualified for a regional championship,
    where she had the low score, but because of a rule change, she wasn't declared the winner. (California has the same rule - she could have either competed in the girls' tournament as an individual, or in the boys' tournament as part of her school's team,
    but she wouldn't be eligible for any individual awards.)

Meanwhile, the NCAA does have one sport where women compete against men on an equal basis; rifle shooting. In fact, one year, a team consisting entirely of women (from Texas A&M, I think) won the national championship. (Skiing and fencing are also "mixed"
    championships, but in both cases, women compete only against women, and men only against men.)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Fri Aug 26 12:27:39 2022
    On Friday, August 26, 2022 at 7:10:44 AM UTC-7, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:

No, because there's use as a minor league for the two main revenue-generating men's sports.

Now, it would probably get rid of the rest of them.

False premise. Girls just won't be allowed to play any sports except Sideline and Halftime Burlesque.

That only works in a world in which Title IX still exists. Unless we get smart in a hurry and smash the right wing fascists, that's not going to be the case much longer.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Con Reeder, unhyphenated American@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Fri Aug 26 20:10:46 2022
    world championship....

This isn't about a transgender, but Massachusetts has had this
    problem at both ends. In 2011, a boy who went to a school that
    didn't have a boys' swimming team was allowed to compete on his
    school's girls' swimming team, and compete in the state girls'
    championships as a result - which, as you might expect, he won
    rather easily.

Presumably, Massachusetts changed its rules right after that, as in
    2017, a Massachusetts girl who went to a school that didn't have a
    girls' golf team was allowed to compete on her school's boys' golf
    team. The team qualified for a regional championship, where she had
    the low score,

Did she hit off the women's tees?

--
    The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on my
    life. ... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90%
    how I react to it. And so it is for you... we are in charge of our
    attitudes. -- Charles Swindoll

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TE@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Fri Aug 26 16:50:39 2022
    On Friday, August 26, 2022 at 10:10:44 AM UTC-4, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:
    sports would vanish.

FIFY.

(Girl) "But I'm good enough to play against the boys! THAT'S NOT FAIR!" (School) "Tell that to the boy whose spot on the boys' team you would take, who then can't, unlike you, play on the girls' team. How would it be fair to him?"
    If the school didn't have a girls' golf team, then she could play on the boys' team, but then it gets messy in terms of the state championships.

I don't see how eliminating single-sex sports doesn't resolve all of this. One team, the best play, male
    or female. It's equality. All this crap disappears.

-TE

“As Richard Fernandez tweeted: ‘The elites lost their mojo by becoming absurd. It
    happened on the road between cultural appropriation and transgender bathrooms.’
    It was fatal: ‘People believe from instinct. The Roman gods became ridiculous
    when the Roman emperors did. PC is the equivalent of Caligula’s horse.’

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 26 18:26:05 2022
    I don't see how eliminating single-sex sports doesn't resolve all of this. One team, the best play, male

It's not "equal opportunity." Remember, for all intents and purposes, "one team per sport" is how it worked through the early 1970s; there were very few women's sports scholarships, for example.

"No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance." (Title 20,
    Section 1681(a), United States Code.) One team per sport (open to men and women) in every sport is considered excluding women from participation because of their sex.
    The subsequent arguments probably went like this:
    "We're not denying anybody the right to participate in sports because of sex!" "By having women compete directly against the men, knowing full well the men will do better almost every time, that is exactly what you are doing."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Fri Aug 26 21:11:04 2022
    On Friday, August 26, 2022 at 6:26:07 PM UTC-7, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:
    It's not "equal opportunity." Remember, for all intents and purposes, "one team per sport" is how it worked through the early 1970s; there were very few women's sports scholarships, for example.

That's the idea. The only "sports" people like TE want women in are Sideline and Halftime Burlesque.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05