• How the Women's NIT may be a sign of college football's future

From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Mon Mar 14 14:25:54 2022
    Yes, there's a Women's NIT - for that matter, there's a women's basketball tournament below that as well, but that's beside the point. On Sunday, West Virginia was announced as one of the teams in the Women's NIT. On Monday, its AD announced that it was
    declining the bid, because of injuries and "athletes set to enter the transfer portal" - in other words, "Why the hell should I play in some meaningless tournament and risk what's left of my career before I can transfer to another school?"

What does this have to do with football? Simple - replace "Women's NIT" with some lower tier bowl game.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Tue Mar 15 09:59:10 2022
    What does this have to do with football? Simple - replace "Women's NIT" with some lower tier bowl game.
    I'm surprised some upper-tier non-CFP bowls haven't met the same fate!

How many of those are there?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Tue Mar 15 09:35:02 2022
    On Monday, March 14, 2022 at 2:25:56 PM UTC-7, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:
    Yes, there's a Women's NIT - for that matter, there's a women's basketball tournament below that as well, but that's beside the point. On Sunday, West Virginia was announced as one of the teams in the Women's NIT. On Monday, its AD announced that it
    was declining the bid, because of injuries and "athletes set to enter the transfer portal" - in other words, "Why the hell should I play in some meaningless tournament and risk what's left of my career before I can transfer to another school?"

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From unclejr@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Tue Mar 15 13:20:11 2022
    On Tuesday, March 15, 2022 at 11:59:13 AM UTC-5, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:
    How many of those are there?

One. The Rose Bowel.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RoddyMcCorley@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Tue Mar 15 18:30:35 2022
    On 3/14/2022 5:25 PM, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:
    Yes, there's a Women's NIT - for that matter, there's a women's basketball tournament below that as well, but that's beside the point. On Sunday, West Virginia was announced as one of the teams in the Women's NIT. On Monday, its AD announced that it
    was declining the bid, because of injuries and "athletes set to enter the transfer portal" - in other words, "Why the hell should I play in some meaningless tournament and risk what's left of my career before I can transfer to another school?"

Not at all comparable. Most men's and women's teams will accept bids to
    the NIT, especially when played at campus sites. Loos like, at least for
    the men, the semis and finals are at MSG. A nice NY trip.

--
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In
    practice, there is." Ruben Goldberg

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TE@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Tue Mar 15 17:23:10 2022
    On Monday, March 14, 2022 at 5:25:56 PM UTC-4, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:

'Transfer portal?'

I haven't thought lower-tier sports, especially non-revenue, would have much interaction with the transfer portal. Does cross country, diving etc. have many people navigating the portal?

-TE

”You sure them’s ducks — and not, say, some other kind of water fowl?” ”No, those are definitely ducks.” Billy cocked his shotgun. “You can tell by the beak. And the little sailor suits.”

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to unclejr on Tue Mar 15 17:55:52 2022
    On Tuesday, March 15, 2022 at 1:20:14 PM UTC-7, unclejr wrote:

One. The Rose Bowel.

That's New Year's Six.

I'd probably say, at the least, the Hangover Bowls. Maybe a couple others.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Tue Mar 15 18:09:21 2022

'Transfer portal?'

I haven't thought lower-tier sports, especially non-revenue, would have much interaction with the transfer portal. Does cross country, diving etc. have many people navigating the portal?

I don't know about "many," but there are quite a few transfers, and not just in Division I. Just because it's not a "money sport" doesn't mean somebody wouldn't switch schools to compete for a better coach if they had the opportunity. I remember a story
    about a Division II women's basketball (IIRC) player from one of the Alaska schools being denied a transfer to a school in Hawaii. (Until now, a school could "veto" a transfer; the player could still transfer, but the one-year sit-out rule applied.) You
    didn't hear about it much for women's basketball as it had the same "one year sit-out, no exceptions" rule as for football and men's basketball.

There are plenty of opportunities for women to make money playing pro basketball, but they have to be seen first - and women's basketball has always been a case of "the usual suspects."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05