• so yeah, college football is now a mini-NFL

From Eric Ramon@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 12 14:08:21 2023
    NIL, the portal, realignment all make "college" football a true minor league professional organization.

I think Michael F. told us so, a year or two ago.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 12 14:50:43 2023
    NIL, the portal, realignment all make "college" football a true minor league professional organization.

Except that they're all like the Green Bay Packers in that the fans are the ones paying the players...and don't tell me the schools don't love taking in all of the TV and CFP money without having to worry about paying the players or the people that do it
    for them.

Men's basketball isn't that far behind, either. I just wonder if, once the "superconferences" are finalized, the Gonzagas of the world are going to be left out in the cold when the top basketball players gravitate toward the superconferences as well -
    especially if Adam Silver finally gives in and allows the NBA to draft players directly out of high school again, so none of the "minor" schools can try to become some sort of magnet for one-and-dones.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to Eric Ramon on Sat Aug 12 14:49:53 2023
    On Saturday, August 12, 2023 at 2:08:25 PM UTC-7, Eric Ramon wrote:

I may have had the timing off, but you may also be seeing the first demotions out of the Power Conferences to eventually lead to one national conference with the requisite number of marquee teams.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ken Olson@21:1/5 to Michael Falkner on Sat Aug 12 18:31:35 2023
    On 8/12/2023 5:49 PM, Michael Falkner wrote:

I may have had the timing off, but you may also be seeing the first demotions out of the Power Conferences to eventually lead to one national conference with the requisite number of marquee teams.

Mike

I agree.

Ken
    --
    ÄLSKAR - Fänga Dagen

Слава Україні та НАТО

Härlighet till Sverige

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ken Olson@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Sat Aug 12 18:34:36 2023
    On 8/12/2023 5:50 PM, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:

Except that they're all like the Green Bay Packers in that the fans are the ones paying the players...and don't tell me the schools don't love taking in all of the TV and CFP money without having to worry about paying the players or the people that do
    it for them.

Men's basketball isn't that far behind, either. I just wonder if, once the "superconferences" are finalized, the Gonzagas of the world are going to be left out in the cold when the top basketball players gravitate toward the superconferences as well -
    especially if Adam Silver finally gives in and allows the NBA to draft players directly out of high school again, so none of the "minor" schools can try to become some sort of magnet for one-and-dones.

This also has merit. I think the doctrine of unintended consequences
    will prevail.

Ken
    --
    ÄLSKAR - Fänga Dagen

Слава Україні та НАТО

Härlighet till Sverige

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 13 09:40:36 2023
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to Eric Ramon on Sun Aug 13 09:32:10 2023

And now we get at least an informal discussion on promotion/relegation:

https://twitter.com/ProjSports/status/1690100965414674433

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 13 10:40:41 2023
    Kevin Blackstone from the Washington Post:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/college-football-doesn-t-need-realignment-it-needs-to-start-over/ar-AA1fcZc3?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=9c7eaa771175419d91868f51ee5491a4&ei=10

Have the football teams make a clean break from the universities, and then pay the schools for the rights to their names/mascots/colors and to use their stadiums for home games? Gee, where have I heard that before...over and over again?

Something else we agree on; none of this "limit this to 32 teams, assign each one to an NFL team, have a draft out of high school so the players themselves have no right to transfer but would have to be 'traded', and you then play for your team's NFL
    team when you are done - oh, and all other schools stop playing college football, except maybe at 'club' level" nonsense.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Sun Aug 13 11:45:16 2023
    On Sunday, August 13, 2023 at 10:40:45 AM UTC-7, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:

Something else we agree on; none of this "limit this to 32 teams, assign each one to an NFL team, have a draft out of high school so the players themselves have no right to transfer but would have to be 'traded', and you then play for your team's NFL
    team when you are done - oh, and all other schools stop playing college football, except maybe at 'club' level" nonsense.

We will eventually get there, sooner or later.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 13 12:21:29 2023

No, we won't. I should know better than to argue this with you, as your mind is made up, but...

(a) If only "big money college football" should exist, then explain why Division II schools didn't stop playing decades ago. It has nothing to do with TV money, especially after the Supreme Court's decision that the NCAA cannot control TV contracts means
    that any guaranteed money Division II got out of it went out the window.

(b) Having a system of lower-level teams, each one of which is tied to a major league team, and allowing drafting out of high school will result in the end of all scholarship-level collegiate play in that sport? Gee, I guess I'll go tell pretty much
    every Division I baseball program in the country - all 306 of them - that they should have went out of business decades ago.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Sun Aug 13 15:39:14 2023
    On Sunday, August 13, 2023 at 12:21:32 PM UTC-7, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:
    Something else we agree on; none of this "limit this to 32 teams, assign each one to an NFL team, have a draft out of high school so the players themselves have no right to transfer but would have to be 'traded', and you then play for your team's
    NFL team when you are done - oh, and all other schools stop playing college football, except maybe at 'club' level" nonsense.
    No, we won't. I should know better than to argue this with you, as your mind is made up, but...

(a) If only "big money college football" should exist, then explain why Division II schools didn't stop playing decades ago. It has nothing to do with TV money, especially after the Supreme Court's decision that the NCAA cannot control TV contracts
    means that any guaranteed money Division II got out of it went out the window.

Inertia. As the talent pool continues to dwindle and football becomes more pay-for-play, what athletes are going to be left at the lower levels once this truly manifests?

(b) Having a system of lower-level teams, each one of which is tied to a major league team, and allowing drafting out of high school will result in the end of all scholarship-level collegiate play in that sport? Gee, I guess I'll go tell pretty much
    every Division I baseball program in the country - all 306 of them - that they should have went out of business decades ago.

If baseball still had the mantle of America's Pastime when The National Religion Of Football took over, I might believe that.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05