• The NCAA men's basketball rules committee might want to get back togeth

From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 15 13:01:11 2023
    The organization that writes the rules for high school basketball has just joined the rest of the world outside of the NCAA men in getting rid of 1-and-1s; from now on, fouls are 2 shots beginning with the fifth foul of each quarter. This pretty much
    leaves the NCAA men as the only organization that still has 1-and-1s, just as it is pretty much the only one that still has halves instead of quarters.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From xyzzy@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Mon May 15 21:45:21 2023
    The NOTBCS Guy <don.p.del.grande@gmail.com> wrote:
    The organization that writes the rules for high school basketball has
    just joined the rest of the world outside of the NCAA men in getting rid
    of 1-and-1s; from now on, fouls are 2 shots beginning with the fifth foul
    of each quarter. This pretty much leaves the NCAA men as the only organization that still has 1-and-1s, just as it is pretty much the only
    one that still has halves instead of quarters.

I like 1-1s. Why do all those other orgs hate them?

--
    “I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian, liberal personality.” — Altie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to xyzzy on Mon May 15 15:07:25 2023
    On Monday, May 15, 2023 at 2:45:25 PM UTC-7, xyzzy wrote:

The idea is to increase penalties on accumulative fouls. The 1 and 1 is not seen as sufficient deterrent in that respect.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Mon May 15 15:06:57 2023
    On Monday, May 15, 2023 at 1:01:13 PM UTC-7, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:
    The organization that writes the rules for high school basketball has just joined the rest of the world outside of the NCAA men in getting rid of 1-and-1s; from now on, fouls are 2 shots beginning with the fifth foul of each quarter. This pretty much
    leaves the NCAA men as the only organization that still has 1-and-1s, just as it is pretty much the only one that still has halves instead of quarters.

Most groups realizing that the 1-and-1 is no real deterrent to fouling.

Mike (In many cases, neither is the 2, but there you go. If you really wanted to deter fouling, you'd consider the ol' "3 to make 2"...)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Tue May 16 05:51:41 2023

My guess is, for the same reason a lot of coaches like them - because it turns the game into a "foul the worst free throw shooter and hope they miss the first shot" contest. A lot of them thought it was bad enough when they created the 2-shot bonus on
    the 10th foul of the half. These coaches tend to hate the shot clock for a similar reason - four-corners is pretty much they only chance they have against taller, faster teams.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Tue May 16 10:20:32 2023
    On Tuesday, May 16, 2023 at 5:51:43 AM UTC-7, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:
    My guess is, for the same reason a lot of coaches like them - because it turns the game into a "foul the worst free throw shooter and hope they miss the first shot" contest. A lot of them thought it was bad enough when they created the 2-shot bonus on
    the 10th foul of the half. These coaches tend to hate the shot clock for a similar reason - four-corners is pretty much they only chance they have against taller, faster teams.

There was actually a game in Oklahoma this year at the high school level -- Oklahoma has not adopted the shot clock -- which ended something like 6-2, for the entire game!

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05