• Some solace

From RSFC Moderator@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 5 06:50:55 2023
    In the early days of COVID, I had high hopes for {Ivermectin| Surgical Masks}. The early reports seemed promising, and while I was aware of the {small study sizes| lack of RCTs}, I thought that wasn't important given the {sheer number of RCTs| large
    Bangladesh study}. I didn't let the {backwater locales| non-robust findings} bother me too much--- I wanted a magic bullet.

I knew that {Ivermectin's in-vitro antiviral effectiveness required implausibly high doses| masks didn't work for the flu} but I thought maybe this time it would be different because {you can't argue with RCTs| Covid might be transmitted differently}.

Alas, having looked into the more recent research such as {Vallejos and Ravikirti| the Cochrane review}, I have to conclude it was just {publication bias| wishful thinking} and positive effects are at most very small and probably non-existent.

Still, I can at least take some solace that I wasn't one of idiots who believed in {masks| Ivermectin} with their silly {face diapers|horse paste}.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From unclejr@21:1/5 to RSFC Moderator on Fri May 5 06:56:11 2023
    On Friday, May 5, 2023 at 8:50:57 AM UTC-5, RSFC Moderator wrote:
    In the early days of COVID, I had high hopes for {Ivermectin| Surgical Masks}. The early reports seemed promising, and while I was aware of the {small study sizes| lack of RCTs}, I thought that wasn't important given the {sheer number of RCTs| large
    Bangladesh study}. I didn't let the {backwater locales| non-robust findings} bother me too much--- I wanted a magic bullet.

I knew that {Ivermectin's in-vitro antiviral effectiveness required implausibly high doses| masks didn't work for the flu} but I thought maybe this time it would be different because {you can't argue with RCTs| Covid might be transmitted differently}.

Alas, having looked into the more recent research such as {Vallejos and Ravikirti| the Cochrane review}, I have to conclude it was just {publication bias| wishful thinking} and positive effects are at most very small and probably non-existent.

Still, I can at least take some solace that I wasn't one of idiots who believed in {masks| Ivermectin} with their silly {face diapers|horse paste}.

Glad you didn't die.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RSFC Moderator@21:1/5 to unclejr on Fri May 5 08:16:29 2023
    On Friday, May 5, 2023 at 9:56:13 AM UTC-4, unclejr wrote:
    On Friday, May 5, 2023 at 8:50:57 AM UTC-5, RSFC Moderator wrote:

Glad you didn't die.
    Thanks and likewise.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Ramon@21:1/5 to RSFC Moderator on Fri May 5 12:09:10 2023
    On Friday, May 5, 2023 at 6:50:57 AM UTC-7, RSFC Moderator wrote:

oddly enough, these last few years have been the healthiest of my life. I've always gotten some kind of cold or flu in the winter, until this covid thing came around. I got one shot which didn't seem to affect me. I wore a mask for quite awhile but
    stopped awhile back, too. The main difference between before and now is I wash my hands an awful lot. My wife and I call the thing "corny", short for "corona" and after shopping I wash my hands, saying "I don't want to get supermarket corny". Or "liquor
    store corny" or, if I go to a certain store, "Bezos corny".

Sure it's anecdotal but I do believe washing up frequently has kept germs away.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Con Reeder, unhyphenated American@21:1/5 to Eric Ramon on Sat May 13 16:01:37 2023
    On 2023-05-05, Eric Ramon <ramon.eric@gmail.com> wrote:
    On Friday, May 5, 2023 at 6:50:57 AM UTC-7, RSFC Moderator wrote:

oddly enough, these last few years have been the healthiest of my life. I've always gotten some kind of cold or flu in the winter, until this covid thing came around. I got one shot which didn't seem to affect me. I wore a mask for quite awhile but
    stopped awhile back, too. The main difference between before and now is I wash my hands an awful lot. My wife and I call the thing "corny", short for "corona" and after shopping I wash my hands, saying "I don't want to get supermarket corny". Or "liquor
    store corny" or, if I go to a certain store, "Bezos corny".

Sure it's anecdotal but I do believe washing up frequently has kept germs away.

I've also been infection-healthy, but that is normal over my life. My
    nurse mother ingrained hand-washing in me. A doctor friend explained
    about hand consciousness, which makes me remember to wash/sanitize
    those hands at the right times.

Have gotten flu maybe once in my adult life, and I didn't get COVID,
    just about the only one in my circles who didn't. I suspect it is
    genetics as much as anything else, but I don't think hand washing
    hurts.

--
    An amateur practices until he gets it right. A pro
    practices until he can't get it wrong. -- unknown

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05