• Here's what they forget to mention about the 2.5 million watching women

From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 31 11:48:05 2023
    A number of news sources are reporting that the Iowa-Louisville women's basketball Elite 8 game last Sunday (which only filled about 2/3 of the arena it was in, mind you) had 2.5 million viewers on ESPN, which is 350,000 more than any NBA game ESPN has
    aired this season. Note that this is limited to ESPN games; I assume the ABC games (for example, the main ones on Christmas Day) get higher ratings, and every game in the 2022 finals had at least 10 million viewers.

Here's what they forget to mention: that 2.5 million is also about 2 million more than watched the WNBA Finals last year.

(Oh, and speaking of the NBA Finals: stop putting "NBA Finals Champions" on the merchandise. You don't have to say "World Champions" any more, like you did in the 1970s, but they're the NBA champions, not just the 'NBA Finals' champions. Just because MLB
    and the NFL say "World Series champions" and "Super Bowl champions" doesn't mean you can get away with thinking that being the "NBA Finals" champions means something other than they're the NBA champions.)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From michael anderson@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Fri Mar 31 15:51:19 2023
    On Friday, March 31, 2023 at 1:48:08 PM UTC-5, The NOTBCS Guy wrote:
    A number of news sources are reporting that the Iowa-Louisville women's basketball Elite 8 game last Sunday (which only filled about 2/3 of the arena it was in, mind you) had 2.5 million viewers on ESPN, which is 350,000 more than any NBA game ESPN has
    aired this season. Note that this is limited to ESPN games; I assume the ABC games (for example, the main ones on Christmas Day) get higher ratings, and every game in the 2022 finals had at least 10 million viewers.

Here's what they forget to mention: that 2.5 million is also about 2 million more than watched the WNBA Finals last year.

(Oh, and speaking of the NBA Finals: stop putting "NBA Finals Champions" on the merchandise. You don't have to say "World Champions" any more, like you did in the 1970s, but they're the NBA champions, not just the 'NBA Finals' champions. Just because
    MLB and the NFL say "World Series champions" and "Super Bowl champions" doesn't mean you can get away with thinking that being the "NBA Finals" champions means something other than they're the NBA champions.)

so this south carolina-Iowa game is going to get a big(relative for typical women's sports) number because they have hyped the hell out of this lesbian who plays for iowa......so they're hyping the game as the great white lesbian hope against the
    greatest team evar....or whatever.

If 3.5 million or so people watch the game tonight, it's really amazing that *only* 3.5 million people watched it as much as the mainstream media has forced this game down our throats.

I mean honestly if the mainstream media pumped two centipedes racing on the sidewalk as much as they have this game, 3-4 million people would also tune in to catch a glance at that just because they wonder what the big fuss is about it's been crammed
    down our throats so much......

but I don't think a lot of this is 'real' interest.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RoddyMcCorley@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 1 02:10:44 2023
    On 3/31/2023 6:51 PM, michael anderson wrote:
    uper Bowl champions" doesn't mean you can get away with thinking that
    being the "NBA Finals" champions means something other than they're the
    NBA champions.)

so this south carolina-Iowa game is going to get a big(relative for typical women's sports) number because they have hyped the hell out of this lesbian who plays for iowa......so they're hyping the game as the great white lesbian hope against the

If 3.5 million or so people watch the game tonight, it's really amazing that *only* 3.5 million people watched it as much as the mainstream media has forced this game down our throats.

I mean honestly if the mainstream media pumped two centipedes racing on the sidewalk as much as they have this game, 3-4 million people would also tune in to catch a glance at that just because they wonder what the big fuss is about it's been crammed

Well, DICKHEAD, the USC/Iowa game lived up to the hype. As did Caitlin
    Clark.

Where did you get the idea that she is a lesbian? Or do you just assume
    that the best women athletes are gay?

--
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In
    practice, there is." Ruben Goldberg

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From xyzzy@21:1/5 to RoddyMcCorley on Sat Apr 1 12:15:53 2023
    RoddyMcCorley <Roddy.McCorley@verizon.net> wrote:
    NBA champions.)

so this south carolina-Iowa game is going to get a big(relative for
    typical women's sports) number because they have hyped the hell out of
    this lesbian who plays for iowa......so they're hyping the game as the
    great white lesbian hope against the greatest team evar....or whatever.

If 3.5 million or so people watch the game tonight, it's really amazing
    that *only* 3.5 million people watched it as much as the mainstream
    media has forced this game down our throats.

I mean honestly if the mainstream media pumped two centipedes racing on
    the sidewalk as much as they have this game, 3-4 million people would
    also tune in to catch a glance at that just because they wonder what the
    big fuss is about it's been crammed down our throats so much......

Clark.

One difference between the men’s and women’s tournaments is that in the women’s, basically all the top seeds advanced. The FF was 2 1’s and a 2 and a 3.

Maybe despite the underdog hyping, people like to see the top teams battle
    it out for a championship. Obviously it didn’t make women’s tournament more popular than the men but it might have given it a boost.

--
    “I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian, liberal personality.” — Altie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JGibson@21:1/5 to xyzzy on Sat Apr 1 06:30:25 2023
    On Saturday, April 1, 2023 at 8:15:57 AM UTC-4, xyzzy wrote:
    RoddyMcCorley <Roddy.M...@verizon.net> wrote:
    uper Bowl champions" doesn't mean you can get away with thinking that being the "NBA Finals" champions means something other than they're the NBA champions.)

great white lesbian hope against the greatest team evar....or whatever. >>
    If 3.5 million or so people watch the game tonight, it's really amazing >> that *only* 3.5 million people watched it as much as the mainstream

I mean honestly if the mainstream media pumped two centipedes racing on >> the sidewalk as much as they have this game, 3-4 million people would
    also tune in to catch a glance at that just because they wonder what the >> big fuss is about it's been crammed down our throats so much......

Well, DICKHEAD, the USC/Iowa game lived up to the hype. As did Caitlin Clark.

Where did you get the idea that she is a lesbian? Or do you just assume that the best women athletes are gay?
    One difference between the men’s and women’s tournaments is that in the women’s, basically all the top seeds advanced. The FF was 2 1’s and a 2 and
    a 3.

Maybe despite the underdog hyping, people like to see the top teams battle it out for a championship. Obviously it didn’t make women’s tournament more
    popular than the men but it might have given it a boost.

I think the point you made before holds - people like 1 underdog, but they want to see it against a favorite. Not against another underdog. On the other hand, if you've never really watched a sport before best player in the sport vs. best team in the
    sport also makes a good model for hype.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From michael anderson@21:1/5 to xyzzy on Sat Apr 1 09:26:26 2023
    On Saturday, April 1, 2023 at 7:15:57 AM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
    uper Bowl champions" doesn't mean you can get away with thinking that being the "NBA Finals" champions means something other than they're the NBA champions.)

great white lesbian hope against the greatest team evar....or whatever. >>
    If 3.5 million or so people watch the game tonight, it's really amazing >> that *only* 3.5 million people watched it as much as the mainstream

I mean honestly if the mainstream media pumped two centipedes racing on >> the sidewalk as much as they have this game, 3-4 million people would
    also tune in to catch a glance at that just because they wonder what the >> big fuss is about it's been crammed down our throats so much......

Where did you get the idea that she is a lesbian? Or do you just assume that the best women athletes are gay?
    One difference between the men’s and women’s tournaments is that in the women’s, basically all the top seeds advanced. The FF was 2 1’s and a 2 and
    a 3.

this is common in the women's vs the men's though......actually 2 #1's advancing is kind of low for the women. The games
    are extremely predictable because the teams in the bottom half of the field are so bad.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From michael anderson@21:1/5 to RoddyMcCorley on Sat Apr 1 09:36:09 2023
    On Saturday, April 1, 2023 at 1:10:49 AM UTC-5, RoddyMcCorley wrote:
    NBA champions.)

Where did you get the idea that she is a lesbian?

lmao......ok.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to RoddyMcCorley on Sat Apr 1 12:25:30 2023
    On Friday, March 31, 2023 at 11:10:49 PM UTC-7, RoddyMcCorley wrote:

That is the general standing assumption, especially in basketball.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to michael anderson on Sat Apr 1 12:30:02 2023
    On Saturday, April 1, 2023 at 9:26:29 AM UTC-7, michael anderson wrote:

this is common in the women's vs the men's though......actually 2 #1's advancing is kind of low for the women. The games
    are extremely predictable because the teams in the bottom half of the field are so bad.

Because how many schools have women's sports for reasons other than to justify men's sports via Title IX?

(Even at the college level...)

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From xyzzy@21:1/5 to michael anderson on Sat Apr 1 20:25:45 2023
    michael anderson <mianderson79@gmail.com> wrote:
    On Saturday, April 1, 2023 at 7:15:57 AM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
    NBA champions.)

typical women's sports) number because they have hyped the hell out of >>>> this lesbian who plays for iowa......so they're hyping the game as the >>>> great white lesbian hope against the greatest team evar....or whatever. >>>>
    If 3.5 million or so people watch the game tonight, it's really amazing >>>> that *only* 3.5 million people watched it as much as the mainstream

I mean honestly if the mainstream media pumped two centipedes racing on >>>> the sidewalk as much as they have this game, 3-4 million people would
    also tune in to catch a glance at that just because they wonder what the >>>> big fuss is about it's been crammed down our throats so much......

Clark.

One difference between the men’s and women’s tournaments is that in the >> women’s, basically all the top seeds advanced. The FF was 2 1’s and a 2 and
    a 3.

I know this. Until yesterday my women’s bracket was in first place in my office pool, all I did was pick the highest seed in every game.

However there were more upsets than I expected so I wonder if the talent
    pool is getting deeper. Not as deep as the men but it’s no longer UConn, Tennessee, and everyone else.
    --
    “I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian, liberal personality.” — Altie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05