• On FAU.......

From michael anderson@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 26 10:22:01 2023
    Due to them being placed in same region as fraudulent no guard purdue(for a #1 seed), their 4 victories to get to the final four are:

Memphis(blah)
    Fairleigh dickinson(16 seed)
    Tennessee(no offense, inconsistent all year in the sec, duke game
    was an anomoly really)
    Kansas......State (not exactly a blue blood loaded with nba talent)

And yeah, they are a good team too. You don't go 35-3 even playing mostly bad ooc and then conference usa teams unless you are pretty good. They only played two large ooc schools(Mississippi and Florida) and given that those two schools were both not
    tourney teams and they went 1-1 and didnt look good that was concerning, but that's a small sample size. Their kenpom was 16.

So they are a pretty good team, and they deserve credit for that. But I mean the biggest reason they got to the final four is because they didn''t have to play a 1 seed in the second round like all other except 1 8/9 teams do. And I'm not saying they
    couldnt have won any of those games(especially purdue who they match up good with), but that was the difference between a game they were a huge favorite in(against FDU) vs a game against any 1 seed they would have been clear underdogs in. So i think
    that is the main reason they got this fair and have won 4 straight.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Corky@21:1/5 to michael anderson on Sun Mar 26 16:12:44 2023
    On Sunday, March 26, 2023 at 12:22:03 PM UTC-5, michael anderson wrote:
    Due to them being placed in same region as fraudulent no guard purdue(for a #1 seed), their 4 victories to get to the final four are:

Memphis(blah)
    was an anomoly really)

And yeah, they are a good team too. You don't go 35-3 even playing mostly bad ooc and then conference usa teams unless you are pretty good. They only played two large ooc schools(Mississippi and Florida) and given that those two schools were both not
    tourney teams and they went 1-1 and didnt look good that was concerning, but that's a small sample size. Their kenpom was 16.

So they are a pretty good team, and they deserve credit for that. But I mean the biggest reason they got to the final four is because they didn''t have to play a 1 seed in the second round like all other except 1 8/9 teams do. And I'm not saying they
    couldnt have won any of those games(especially purdue who they match up good with), but that was the difference between a game they were a huge favorite in(against FDU) vs a game against any 1 seed they would have been clear underdogs in. So i think that
    is the main reason they got this fair and have won 4 straight.
    I think Kansas State had a real good team. FAU should get to the finals and maybe win. I hope so. Time for a first timer.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Ramon@21:1/5 to Corky on Sun Mar 26 17:22:49 2023
    On Sunday, March 26, 2023 at 4:12:46 PM UTC-7, Corky wrote:

Memphis(blah)
    was an anomoly really)

couldnt have won any of those games(especially purdue who they match up good with), but that was the difference between a game they were a huge favorite in(against FDU) vs a game against any 1 seed they would have been clear underdogs in. So i think that
    is the main reason they got this fair and have won 4 straight.
    I think Kansas State had a real good team. FAU should get to the finals and maybe win. I hope so. Time for a first timer.

I was listening to some goofball on the CBS site saying "If I'm honest....I'd rather see Alabama versus Purdue". Well, they'd be there if they hadn't lost.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From xyzzy@21:1/5 to Corky on Mon Mar 27 14:25:02 2023
    Corky <corkstrew@gmail.com> wrote:
    Due to them being placed in same region as fraudulent no guard
    purdue(for a #1 seed), their 4 victories to get to the final four are:

Memphis(blah)
    was an anomoly really)

And yeah, they are a good team too. You don't go 35-3 even playing
    mostly bad ooc and then conference usa teams unless you are pretty good.
    They only played two large ooc schools(Mississippi and Florida) and
    given that those two schools were both not tourney teams and they went
    1-1 and didnt look good that was concerning, but that's a small sample
    size. Their kenpom was 16.

So they are a pretty good team, and they deserve credit for that. But I
    mean the biggest reason they got to the final four is because they
    didn''t have to play a 1 seed in the second round like all other except
    1 8/9 teams do. And I'm not saying they couldnt have won any of those
    games(especially purdue who they match up good with), but that was the
    difference between a game they were a huge favorite in(against FDU) vs a
    game against any 1 seed they would have been clear underdogs in. So i
    think that is the main reason they got this fair and have won 4 straight.
    I think Kansas State had a real good team. FAU should get to the finals
    and maybe win. I hope so. Time for a first timer.

Starting today I’m a lifelong Miami Hurricanes basketball fan (insert
    picture here of me holding a banner for Da U)

--
    “I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian, liberal personality.” — Altie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From unclejr@21:1/5 to xyzzy on Mon Mar 27 09:47:14 2023
    On Monday, March 27, 2023 at 9:25:06 AM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
    Corky <cork...@gmail.com> wrote:
    Due to them being placed in same region as fraudulent no guard
    purdue(for a #1 seed), their 4 victories to get to the final four are:

Memphis(blah)
    was an anomoly really)

mostly bad ooc and then conference usa teams unless you are pretty good. >> They only played two large ooc schools(Mississippi and Florida) and
    given that those two schools were both not tourney teams and they went
    1-1 and didnt look good that was concerning, but that's a small sample
    size. Their kenpom was 16.

So they are a pretty good team, and they deserve credit for that. But I >> mean the biggest reason they got to the final four is because they
    didn''t have to play a 1 seed in the second round like all other except >> 1 8/9 teams do. And I'm not saying they couldnt have won any of those
    games(especially purdue who they match up good with), but that was the
    difference between a game they were a huge favorite in(against FDU) vs a >> game against any 1 seed they would have been clear underdogs in. So i
    think that is the main reason they got this fair and have won 4 straight.

Starting today I’m a lifelong Miami Hurricanes basketball fan (insert picture here of me holding a banner for Da U)

--
    “I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian, liberal personality.” — Altie

Oof.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From xyzzy@21:1/5 to unclejr on Mon Mar 27 18:40:02 2023
    unclejr <watsona64@gmail.com> wrote:
    On Monday, March 27, 2023 at 9:25:06 AM UTC-5, xyzzy wrote:
    Corky <cork...@gmail.com> wrote:
    On Sunday, March 26, 2023 at 12:22:03 PM UTC-5, michael anderson wrote: >>>> Due to them being placed in same region as fraudulent no guard
    purdue(for a #1 seed), their 4 victories to get to the final four are: >>>>
    Memphis(blah)
    was an anomoly really)

mostly bad ooc and then conference usa teams unless you are pretty good. >>>> They only played two large ooc schools(Mississippi and Florida) and
    given that those two schools were both not tourney teams and they went >>>> 1-1 and didnt look good that was concerning, but that's a small sample >>>> size. Their kenpom was 16.

So they are a pretty good team, and they deserve credit for that. But I >>>> mean the biggest reason they got to the final four is because they
    didn''t have to play a 1 seed in the second round like all other except >>>> 1 8/9 teams do. And I'm not saying they couldnt have won any of those
    games(especially purdue who they match up good with), but that was the >>>> difference between a game they were a huge favorite in(against FDU) vs a >>>> game against any 1 seed they would have been clear underdogs in. So i
    think that is the main reason they got this fair and have won 4 straight. >>> I think Kansas State had a real good team. FAU should get to the finals
    and maybe win. I hope so. Time for a first timer.

Starting today I’m a lifelong Miami Hurricanes basketball fan (insert
    picture here of me holding a banner for Da U)

--
    “I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian,
    liberal personality.” — Altie

Oof.

Go Canes! I’ve been a fan of (checks Google) Jim Larrañaga’s coaching style since his early days at (checks Wikipedia) at Bowling Green. A true leader of young men!

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From xyzzy@21:1/5 to Eric Ramon on Mon Mar 27 22:51:17 2023
    Eric Ramon <ramon.eric@gmail.com> wrote:
    On Monday, March 27, 2023 at 11:40:07 AM UTC-7, xyzzy wrote:

Go Canes! I’ve been a fan of (checks Google) Jim Larrañaga’s coaching >> style since his early days at (checks Wikipedia) at Bowling Green. A true
    leader of young men!
    --

you've been a fan of Larrañaga longer than I have. I just found out he's
    got a tilde in his name!

We real fans learned know how to make the iPhone keyboard do the tilde,
    just for Jim!

or

I've been a fan of Larrañaga longer than you have, ever since his days at hold on....Archbishop Molloy High School.

I see his Wiki entry has been fleshed out since I declared my lifelong
    fanhood :)

Also it seems to me the people who are crying because these lower seeds
    are all that's left and how it should be Alabama vs Purdue or something
    like that, are the same people who downplay UCLA's many titles because of
    the smaller field. These folks like the large field but only if the right
    16 make it through.

In all seriousness I think what people want is one or at most two underdogs
    in a field of blue bloods. They want the FAUs of the world to win it by
    beating big names like Duke, Kentucky, etc. in the Final Four. Not by
    beating fellow underdogs.

For example I know that I cherish VT’s ACC basketball championship last
    year partly because they beat Virginia, Carolina, and Duke on consecutive
    days to win it. Wouldn’t have been as sweet if those last three wins were against, say, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, and Clemson.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Ramon@21:1/5 to xyzzy on Mon Mar 27 15:38:15 2023
    On Monday, March 27, 2023 at 11:40:07 AM UTC-7, xyzzy wrote:

Go Canes! I’ve been a fan of (checks Google) Jim Larrañaga’s coaching style since his early days at (checks Wikipedia) at Bowling Green. A true leader of young men!
    --

you've been a fan of Larrañaga longer than I have. I just found out he's got a tilde in his name!

or

I've been a fan of Larrañaga longer than you have, ever since his days at hold on....Archbishop Molloy High School.

Also it seems to me the people who are crying because these lower seeds are all that's left and how it should be Alabama vs Purdue or something like that, are the same people who downplay UCLA's many titles because of the smaller field. These folks like
    the large field but only if the right 16 make it through.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From joe@mich.com@21:1/5 to Eric Ramon on Tue Mar 28 08:25:57 2023
    On Mon, 27 Mar 2023 15:38:15 -0700 (PDT), Eric Ramon <ramon.eric@gmail.com> wrote:

On Monday, March 27, 2023 at 11:40:07?AM UTC-7, xyzzy wrote:

Go Canes! Ive been a fan of (checks Google) Jim Larraagas coaching
    style since his early days at (checks Wikipedia) at Bowling Green. A true
    leader of young men!
    --

you've been a fan of Larraaga longer than I have. I just found out he's got a tilde in his name!

or

I've been a fan of Larraaga longer than you have, ever since his days at hold on....Archbishop Molloy High School.

Also it seems to me the people who are crying because these lower seeds are all that's left and how it should be Alabama vs Purdue or
    something like that, are the same people who downplay UCLA's many titles because of the smaller field. These folks like the large field but only if the right 16 make it through.

Who are all these people you refer too that are crying because only low seeds are left and also downplay UCLA's titles? It certainly doesn't include
    me. My personal opinion is that right now everyone is playing on a much more level field and I very much like the fact that new teams are advancing
    instead of the same ones year after year.

OTOH, UCLA's championships came when the tournament to them was sort of like the way the Winbledon tennis championship used to be. The defending
    champion plays one match only against a player who had to advance by playing 6 matches against a field of the best players in the world. UCLA's
    regional regularly had teams like Seattle, BYU, OK City, Pacific, Wyoming, Weber State, New Mexico, Santa Clara, Long Beach State, etc. These were not
    powerhouses at the time, and the games for UCLA were more like scrimmages. Only one good team appeared occasionally in the West regional, San
    Francisco. UCLA a few times had teams that were probably among the best of all time, but not every year, and they would not have had the run they had
    without the benefit of such a weak regional combined with what teams in other regions had to go through. The very year that was changed was the very
    year UCLA's fortunes changed.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The NOTBCS Guy@21:1/5 to All on Tue Mar 28 11:41:22 2023
    OTOH, UCLA's championships came when the tournament to them was sort of like the way the Winbledon tennis championship used to be. The defending
    champion plays one match only against a player who had to advance by playing 6 matches against a field of the best players in the world. UCLA's
    regional regularly had teams like Seattle, BYU, OK City, Pacific, Wyoming, Weber State, New Mexico, Santa Clara, Long Beach State, etc. These were not
    powerhouses at the time, and the games for UCLA were more like scrimmages. Only one good team appeared occasionally in the West regional, San
    Francisco. UCLA a few times had teams that were probably among the best of all time, but not every year, and they would not have had the run they had
    without the benefit of such a weak regional combined with what teams in other regions had to go through. The very year that was changed was the very
    year UCLA's fortunes changed.

Another thing you have to remember is, most of UCLA's titles came when at-large teams were not invited; you had to win your conference championship to get in. If this was still the case, UConn wouldn't have made the tournament. (Miami might have; I don't
    know if the ACC had a conference tournament to determine its tournament qualifier back then.)

Oh, and you can tell when San Francisco was still good at basketball; it was called USF. (The change was made right before the 2012-13 season. Okay, San Francisco's status as a "basketball power" ended a decade or two before then - Thank You, Father Lo
    Schiavo and Quintin Dailey...)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Con Reeder, unhyphenated American@21:1/5 to The NOTBCS Guy on Tue Mar 28 19:22:40 2023
    On 2023-03-28, The NOTBCS Guy <don.p.del.grande@gmail.com> wrote:
    OTOH, UCLA's championships came when the tournament to them was
    sort of like the way the Winbledon tennis championship used to be.
    The defending champion plays one match only against a player who
    had to advance by playing 6 matches against a field of the best
    players in the world. UCLA's regional regularly had teams like
    Seattle, BYU, OK City, Pacific, Wyoming, Weber State, New Mexico,
    Santa Clara, Long Beach State, etc. These were not powerhouses at
    the time, and the games for UCLA were more like scrimmages. Only
    one good team appeared occasionally in the West regional, San
    Francisco. UCLA a few times had teams that were probably among the
    best of all time, but not every year, and they would not have had
    the run they had without the benefit of such a weak regional
    combined with what teams in other regions had to go through. The
    very year that was changed was the very year UCLA's fortunes
    changed.

Another thing you have to remember is, most of UCLA's titles came
    when at-large teams were not invited; you had to win your conference championship to get in. If this was still the case, UConn wouldn't
    have made the tournament. (Miami might have; I don't know if the ACC
    had a conference tournament to determine its tournament qualifier
    back then.)

Yes, it did -- another thing conspiring to keep UCLA winning
    championships. (The powerhouse team that won the regular season was
    often knocked off in the tourney.)

--
    "Laughter is inner jogging." -- Norman Cousins

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From xyzzy@21:1/5 to unhyphenated American on Tue Mar 28 21:49:56 2023
    Con Reeder, unhyphenated American <constance@duxmail.com> wrote:
    On 2023-03-28, The NOTBCS Guy <don.p.del.grande@gmail.com> wrote:
    OTOH, UCLA's championships came when the tournament to them was
    sort of like the way the Winbledon tennis championship used to be.
    The defending champion plays one match only against a player who
    had to advance by playing 6 matches against a field of the best
    players in the world. UCLA's regional regularly had teams like
    Seattle, BYU, OK City, Pacific, Wyoming, Weber State, New Mexico,
    Santa Clara, Long Beach State, etc. These were not powerhouses at
    the time, and the games for UCLA were more like scrimmages. Only
    one good team appeared occasionally in the West regional, San
    Francisco. UCLA a few times had teams that were probably among the
    best of all time, but not every year, and they would not have had
    the run they had without the benefit of such a weak regional
    combined with what teams in other regions had to go through. The
    very year that was changed was the very year UCLA's fortunes
    changed.

Another thing you have to remember is, most of UCLA's titles came
    when at-large teams were not invited; you had to win your conference
    championship to get in. If this was still the case, UConn wouldn't
    have made the tournament. (Miami might have; I don't know if the ACC
    had a conference tournament to determine its tournament qualifier
    back then.)

Yes, it did -- another thing conspiring to keep UCLA winning
    championships. (The powerhouse team that won the regular season was
    often knocked off in the tourney.)

Correct. Awarding the conference’s championship and NCAA bid to the conference tournament winner was a founding principle of ACC basketball.
    They were the first (or if not, one of the first) major conferences to do
    it that way. Tobacco Road had a long history of 8 team tournaments before that… the Dixie Classic predates the ACC and featured the four Tobacco Road teams vs four teams from around the country.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05