• My all-time Cameroon XI

From Mark@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 23 00:45:37 2023
    Hey, is there hope of Cameroon finally making an impact at the World Cup in the near future? TWO of our current players have made my all-time XI ! That seems like a good sign.

Thomas N'Kono GK Emmanuel Kundé D Rigobert Song CD Nicolas Nkoulou CD Pierre Womé LWB
    .............. Geremi Njitap RM Marc-Vivien Foé DM Joseph-Désiré Job AM
    ........................... Roger Milla Samuel Eto'o Vincent Aboubakar

The midfield looks a bit weak. I struggled to find any really great midfielders, which is why I ended up going for a 3-man midfield.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Mark on Mon Jan 23 04:45:38 2023
    On Monday, January 23, 2023 at 8:45:38 AM UTC, Mark wrote:
    Hey, is there hope of Cameroon finally making an impact at the World Cup in the near future? TWO of our current players have made my all-time XI ! That seems like a good sign.

Thomas N'Kono GK
    Emmanuel Kundé D Rigobert Song CD Nicolas Nkoulou CD Pierre Womé LWB .............. Geremi Njitap RM Marc-Vivien Foé DM Joseph-Désiré Job AM ........................... Roger Milla Samuel Eto'o Vincent Aboubakar

The midfield looks a bit weak. I struggled to find any really great midfielders, which is why I ended up going for a 3-man midfield.

Best thread idea ever!

Although surely Cyrille Makanaky should be in there as either RM or AM?

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Al Kamista@21:1/5 to Mark on Mon Jan 23 07:58:57 2023
    On Monday, January 23, 2023 at 3:45:38 AM UTC-5, Mark wrote:

Thomas N'Kono GK
    Emmanuel Kundé D Rigobert Song CD Nicolas Nkoulou CD Pierre Womé LWB .............. Geremi Njitap RM Marc-Vivien Foé DM Joseph-Désiré Job AM ........................... Roger Milla Samuel Eto'o Vincent Aboubakar

Mine:
    Milla
    Eto Milla Milla Eto
    Eto Milla Milla Eto
    Eto Milla

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to alka...@hotmail.com on Wed Jan 25 00:53:17 2023
    On Monday, January 23, 2023 at 3:58:59 PM UTC, alka...@hotmail.com wrote:

Thomas N'Kono GK

Mine:
    Milla
    Eto Milla Milla Eto
    Eto Milla Milla Eto
    Eto Milla

It's Eto'o, not Eto. The English media always used to pronounce it Eto! You shouldn't listen to them.

Anyway, what no Thomas N'Kono? Are you saying he's not good enough?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Wed Jan 25 01:11:22 2023
    On Monday, January 23, 2023 at 12:45:40 PM UTC, Real Mardin wrote:

Thomas N'Kono GK

Best thread idea ever!

RM

I had another look at the Wikipedia article about Cyrille Makanaky yesterday. He won an Africa Cup of Nations, and helped us get to the World Cup quarter-final, but he only played 14 times for Cameroon.

Joseph-Désiré Job won 1 Africa Cup of Nations, was runner-up in another, and reached the semi-final of the UEFA Cup with Lens, and played 51 times for Cameroon.

Geremi won 2 African Nations Cups, was runner-up in 1, won 2 Champions League titles with Real Madrid, and played 118 times for Cameroon.

I think Joseph-Désiré Job, and especially Geremi, were better players myself.

It is a bit of a surprise that Makanaky only played for us 14 times though.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Al Kamista@21:1/5 to Mark on Wed Jan 25 10:52:59 2023
    On Wednesday, January 25, 2023 at 3:53:18 AM UTC-5, Mark wrote:
    On Monday, January 23, 2023 at 3:58:59 PM UTC, alka...@hotmail.com wrote:

Thomas N'Kono GK
    Emmanuel Kundé D Rigobert Song CD Nicolas Nkoulou CD Pierre Womé LWB .............. Geremi Njitap RM Marc-Vivien Foé DM Joseph-Désiré Job AM

Mine:
    Milla
    Eto Milla Milla Eto
    Eto Milla Milla Eto
    Eto Milla
    It's Eto'o, not Eto. The English media always used to pronounce it Eto! You shouldn't listen to them.

Sorry.

Anyway, what no Thomas N'Kono? Are you saying he's not good enough?

Kono'o never played in the EPL so he's a nobody.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MH@21:1/5 to Mark on Wed Jan 25 12:45:28 2023
    On 2023-01-23 01:45, Mark wrote:

Thomas N'Kono GK Emmanuel Kundé D Rigobert Song CD Nicolas Nkoulou CD Pierre Womé LWB
    .............. Geremi Njitap RM Marc-Vivien Foé DM Joseph-Désiré Job AM

Unlike a lot of African sides, Cameroon has fairly consistently had good
    GKs. Joseph Antoine Bell, N'Kono, Songo'o, Kameni, Onana all played
    quite a few games for Cameroon, as well as featuring regularly for
    strong European sides. I don't think there is much to choose among them.

Kameni 73 caps
    Bell 70 caps
    Songo'o 98 caps (but records for Cameroon has him on 80)
    N'Kono 63 caps

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Mark on Wed Jan 25 14:42:07 2023
    On Wednesday, January 25, 2023 at 9:11:24 AM UTC, Mark wrote:
    On Monday, January 23, 2023 at 12:45:40 PM UTC, Real Mardin wrote:

Thomas N'Kono GK
    Emmanuel Kundé D Rigobert Song CD Nicolas Nkoulou CD Pierre Womé LWB .............. Geremi Njitap RM Marc-Vivien Foé DM Joseph-Désiré Job AM

Best thread idea ever!

RM
    I had another look at the Wikipedia article about Cyrille Makanaky yesterday. He won an Africa Cup of Nations, and helped us get to the World Cup quarter-final, but he only played 14 times for Cameroon.

Joseph-Désiré Job won 1 Africa Cup of Nations, was runner-up in another, and reached the semi-final of the UEFA Cup with Lens, and played 51 times for Cameroon.

Geremi won 2 African Nations Cups, was runner-up in 1, won 2 Champions League titles with Real Madrid, and played 118 times for Cameroon.

I think Joseph-Désiré Job, and especially Geremi, were better players myself.

It is a bit of a surprise that Makanaky only played for us 14 times though.

That’s quite surprising about Makanaky given how good he looked at the 1990 World Cup.

As for Job and Geremi, if the exercise is as basic as looking at their number of caps, goals scored and tournaments won then yes, they’d come out better than Makanaky. However, for me this is about more than just career stats. Being an all time great
    means being memorable, having made an impact for the national team on the biggest stage. Cameroon aren’t remembered for Job getting to a UEFA Cup semi final with Lens or even so much for their record in the Africa Cup of Nations, but for the legendary
    1990 World Cup team, a team who genuinely lit up a World Cup and became the first African team in a World Cup quarter final. Makanaky was one of the most memorable players from that team, the best Cameroon team of all time, hence why I think he should be
    in a Cameroon all time greeatest XI.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 26 00:31:28 2023
    On Wednesday, January 25, 2023 at 7:45:32 PM UTC, MH wrote:
    On 2023-01-23 01:45, Mark wrote:

Thomas N'Kono GK

Unlike a lot of African sides, Cameroon has fairly consistently had good GKs. Joseph Antoine Bell, N'Kono, Songo'o, Kameni, Onana all played
    quite a few games for Cameroon, as well as featuring regularly for
    strong European sides. I don't think there is much to choose among them.

Kameni 73 caps
    Bell 70 caps
    Songo'o 98 caps (but records for Cameroon has him on 80)
    N'Kono 63 caps

Alioum Boukar was another very good goalkeeper. I remember him going the whole of the 2002 Africa Cup of nations without conceding a single goal. And as far as I remember he played every match.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05