• A humble and simple, but ambitious proposal for the next World Cup

From Jesus Petry@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 29 09:51:30 2022
    As we've seen, FIFA is considering keeping the first stage of the next 48-team World Cup a groups of four affair, which is a very sensible idea.

This could have, though, the potential problem of either ending up with a number of teams which is not a power of two (thus possibly needing another group stage with groups of three, which is awful, or groups of six, which is nice, but makes the
    competition too long) or needing to qualify "best third placed teams", which is not ideal given how groups can be unevenly distributed in strength.

This proposal intends to solve these problems as well as diminish another problem that already occurs in the current system: that of teams using reserves in the final group matchday.

The plan is to give the eight group winners with the best records the prize of skipping right over through to the otofinals, which gives a strong incentive to teams already qualified before the last round to try and win a bye in the second stage.
    Summing it up:

FIRST STAGE:
    - 12 groups of four teams;
    - Top two in each group stay in the competition;
    - Eight first placed teams with the best records jump straight to otofinals.

SECOND STAGE:
    - The other four first placed teams face second placed teams previously allocated to play against them (e.g.: 1A vs. 2B, 1B vs. 2A...; as it is currently)
    - The remaining eight second placed teams are paired in order of their group letters (e.g.: 2C vs. 2D, 2E vs. 2F...).

OTOFINALS:
    - Each "top 8" winner of the first stage plays a winner from the second stage, with the teams from the first letters groups facing a team from the last letters in the other seeding, forcing the initial groups to cross over.

QUARTERFINALS and on:
    - Just like it is currently.

Example case:
    Let's say the "top 8" winners records are from groups A, D, E, F, H, I, J, L. Second stage will be:
    1B vs. 2A (W1)
    1C vs. 2D (W2)
    1G vs. 2H (W3)
    1K vs. 2L (W4)
    2B vs. 2C (W5)
    2E vs. 2F (W6)
    2G vs. 2I (W7)
    2J vs. 2K (W8)
    Otofinals will be (ordering by "earlier letter" then "later letter" the second stage seeds):
    1A vs. W4
    1D vs. W8
    1E vs. W7
    1F vs. W3
    1H vs. W6
    1I vs. W2
    1J vs. W5
    1L vs. W1

There is room for improvement, but I think this is a good start.

Tchau!
    Jesus Petry

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From FF@21:1/5 to jesus...@gmail.com on Thu Dec 29 11:38:17 2022
    On Thursday, December 29, 2022 at 7:51:32 PM UTC+2, jesus...@gmail.com wrote:
    As we've seen, FIFA is considering keeping the first stage of the next 48-team World Cup a groups of four affair, which is a very sensible idea.

This could have, though, the potential problem of either ending up with a number of teams which is not a power of two (thus possibly needing another group stage with groups of three, which is awful, or groups of six, which is nice, but makes the
    competition too long) or needing to qualify "best third placed teams", which is not ideal given how groups can be unevenly distributed in strength.

This proposal intends to solve these problems as well as diminish another problem that already occurs in the current system: that of teams using reserves in the final group matchday.

The plan is to give the eight group winners with the best records the prize of skipping right over through to the otofinals, which gives a strong incentive to teams already qualified before the last round to try and win a bye in the second stage.
    Summing it up:

FIRST STAGE:

SECOND STAGE:
    - The other four first placed teams face second placed teams previously allocated to play against them (e.g.: 1A vs. 2B, 1B vs. 2A...; as it is currently)
    - The remaining eight second placed teams are paired in order of their group letters (e.g.: 2C vs. 2D, 2E vs. 2F...).

OTOFINALS:
    - Each "top 8" winner of the first stage plays a winner from the second stage, with the teams from the first letters groups facing a team from the last letters in the other seeding, forcing the initial groups to cross over.

QUARTERFINALS and on:

Example case:
    Let's say the "top 8" winners records are from groups A, D, E, F, H, I, J, L.
    Second stage will be:
    1B vs. 2A (W1)
    1C vs. 2D (W2)
    1G vs. 2H (W3)
    1K vs. 2L (W4)
    2B vs. 2C (W5)
    2E vs. 2F (W6)
    2G vs. 2I (W7)
    2J vs. 2K (W8)
    Otofinals will be (ordering by "earlier letter" then "later letter" the second stage seeds):
    1A vs. W4
    1D vs. W8
    1E vs. W7
    1F vs. W3
    1H vs. W6
    1I vs. W2
    1J vs. W5
    1L vs. W1

Tchau!
    Jesus Petry

Just leave it alone with 32 teams.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Falkner@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 30 23:05:40 2022
    On Thursday, December 29, 2022 at 11:38:19 AM UTC-8, FF wrote:

Just leave it alone with 32 teams.

No, make it like the Davis Cup and cut the top flight to 16 at most, and don't guarantee all continents a place.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to jesus...@gmail.com on Sat Dec 31 03:36:39 2022
    On Thursday, December 29, 2022 at 5:51:32 PM UTC, jesus...@gmail.com wrote:

I'm not too keen on this bit. Is this really much better than the 3rd placed teams with the best records going through to the 2nd round? I think all group winners, and all group runners-up etc, should be rewarded equally.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From KaiserD2@21:1/5 to Pammiesheart@yahoo.co.uk on Sun Jan 1 08:22:07 2023
    I am just disgusted by FIFA's knack for doing the wrong thing at the
    wrong time. We just had a fantastic tournament because almost every
    one of the 32 teams was competitive. So now they want to add 16 more,
    some of which will not be.

I actually like the idea of sending the top 8 record teams into the
    8th finals and having an additional round to winnow 16 (including 4
    third place teams) down to 8.

David K

On Sat, 31 Dec 2022 03:36:39 -0800 (PST), Mark
    <Pammiesheart@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

On Thursday, December 29, 2022 at 5:51:32 PM UTC, jesus...@gmail.com wrote:

I'm not too keen on this bit. Is this really much better than the 3rd placed teams with the best records going through to the 2nd round? I think all group winners, and all group runners-up etc, should be rewarded equally.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MH@21:1/5 to Jesus Petry on Mon Jan 2 17:44:54 2023
    On 2022-12-29 10:51, Jesus Petry wrote:

Summing it up:

FIRST STAGE:

SECOND STAGE:

OTOFINALS:

This is the best suggestion I have heard yet for how to run a 48 team tournament, since we are stuck with that, apparently.

It is far better than groups of 3 teams, or including the best 8 (of 12)
    third placed teams. And six team first round groups are kind of out of
    the question. Only way that would work would be each team only played
    three games, based on a seeding system (6 teams, 1 vs 2, 4, 6 seeds; 2
    vs. 1, 3, 5; 3 vs 2, 4, 6; 4 vs. 1, 3, 5; 5 vs. 2,4,6; 6 vs. 1,3,5, or something like that. Not sure I like that.

QUARTERFINALS and on:

Example case:
    Let's say the "top 8" winners records are from groups A, D, E, F, H, I, J, L. Second stage will be:
    1B vs. 2A (W1)
    1C vs. 2D (W2)
    1G vs. 2H (W3)
    1K vs. 2L (W4)
    2B vs. 2C (W5)
    2E vs. 2F (W6)
    2G vs. 2I (W7)
    2J vs. 2K (W8)
    1A vs. W4
    1D vs. W8
    1E vs. W7
    1F vs. W3
    1H vs. W6
    1I vs. W2
    1J vs. W5
    1L vs. W1

Tchau!
    Jesus Petry

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 3 03:54:53 2023
    On Tuesday, January 3, 2023 at 12:44:58 AM UTC, MH wrote:
    On 2022-12-29 10:51, Jesus Petry wrote:

Summing it up:

FIRST STAGE:

SECOND STAGE:

OTOFINALS:
    This is the best suggestion I have heard yet for how to run a 48 team tournament, since we are stuck with that, apparently.

It is far better than groups of 3 teams, or including the best 8 (of 12) third placed teams. And six team first round groups are kind of out of
    the question. Only way that would work would be each team only played
    three games, based on a seeding system (6 teams, 1 vs 2, 4, 6 seeds; 2
    vs. 1, 3, 5; 3 vs 2, 4, 6; 4 vs. 1, 3, 5; 5 vs. 2,4,6; 6 vs. 1,3,5, or something like that. Not sure I like that.

QUARTERFINALS and on:

Example case:
    Let's say the "top 8" winners records are from groups A, D, E, F, H, I, J, L.
    Second stage will be:
    1B vs. 2A (W1)
    1C vs. 2D (W2)
    1G vs. 2H (W3)
    1K vs. 2L (W4)
    2B vs. 2C (W5)
    2E vs. 2F (W6)
    2G vs. 2I (W7)
    2J vs. 2K (W8)
    1A vs. W4
    1D vs. W8
    1E vs. W7
    1F vs. W3
    1H vs. W6
    1I vs. W2
    1J vs. W5
    1L vs. W1

Tchau!
    Jesus Petry

How about something completely revolutionary that I thought of years ago? A new tournament involving all the teams in the world, straight knockout, matches played over 2 legs. You could spread all the matches out over 4 years if necessary. The big
    advantage being that it does away with the unfair advantages that the host country gets.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05