• Christmas Coffee Cake discussions 2022

From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 25 06:56:57 2022
    Coffee and Stollen actually, which some might say is more a fruit bread then a cake

1. The World Cup in winter, good or bad?
    In general bad and that might be more because we are so used to having it in the summer, but also it seems weird to have it in the middle of the season, the disruption just seems wrong. I think the clubs and ligas dont like it, like this season is such
    a write off already, it just makes every thing seem so unreal.

2. Messi or Ronaldo?
    Messi has won this much more easily than most of us would have thought a few years ago and not just cus he won the WM, but cus Ronaldo has turned into a clown.

3. VAR, good or bad?
    It was going to happen and it had to happen to get football into the 20th century, but has it really helped the game? I dont think so.

I will leave it at 3 coffee cake discussion points, for now.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Sun Dec 25 15:40:31 2022
    On Sunday, December 25, 2022 at 2:56:59 PM UTC, Binder Dundat wrote:
    Coffee and Stollen actually, which some might say is more a fruit bread then a cake

In general bad and that might be more because we are so used to having it in the summer, but also it seems weird to have it in the middle of the season, the disruption just seems wrong. I think the clubs and ligas dont like it, like this season is such

I don’t like it but that’s for reasons of tradition. Watching the Brazil v Croatia penalty shootout on my phone in my parked car with so much ice on the windows I couldn’t see outside was a surreal experience, as was watching Argentina v USA while
    putting up the Christmas tree (maybe I should have put a Messi ProStars figure at the top of the tree?).

However, objectively I find it hard to argue why it shouldn’t be held in November/ December. If anything it negates the usual excuses about players being too tired at the end of a long season. Being mid season for many leagues arguably the players
    should be at optimum physical fitness and also be sufficiently match sharp. They don’t necessarily have to accelerate the fixture list the way they did this time, they could always extend the club season by a month to accommodate it.

Now that they’ve held a World Cup in Northern Hemisphere winter without the World coming to an end they’ve got a foundation to do it again. Saudi Arabia are said to be keen on hosting and it wouldn’t surprise me if we have another Desert World Cup
    Christmas Special in the next 3 to 4 World Cups.

RM

2. Messi or Ronaldo?
    Messi has won this much more easily than most of us would have thought a few years ago and not just cus he won the WM, but cus Ronaldo has turned into a clown.

3. VAR, good or bad?
    It was going to happen and it had to happen to get football into the 20th century, but has it really helped the game? I dont think so.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From FF@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Sun Dec 25 21:59:52 2022
    On Sunday, December 25, 2022 at 4:56:59 PM UTC+2, Binder Dundat wrote:

I'm on the side that thinks that's rather good. Not least because in summer there's much more to do during week-ends, as somebody pointed out in another thread during the Cup.

2. Messi or Ronaldo?

I don't think so. I tend to not give much weight to the WCup in deciding a player's career value. Messi wouldn't have done it with Portugal, and C. Ron. might have done it too with Argentina. Sure, it's a nice trophy to have in his panoply, and it's
    important for Argentina as a country and football federation, but that's it. To me it's still undecided. They're both great, so great that they can't be meaningfully compared, as they can't with the likes of Pele, Maradona, Zidane etc. (Though I have the
    feeling that most argentinian fans think Maradona is still greater.)
    That's not to say what Messi did, and how much concentration and will to win it he showed, wasn't impressive, especially at his age.

3. VAR, good or bad?

Definitely good. Definitely far from where it should be.

They're actually good discussion points.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Mon Dec 26 01:17:51 2022
    On Sunday, December 25, 2022 at 11:40:32 PM UTC, Real Mardin wrote:

In general bad and that might be more because we are so used to having it in the summer, but also it seems weird to have it in the middle of the season, the disruption just seems wrong. I think the clubs and ligas dont like it, like this season is
    such a write off already, it just makes every thing seem so unreal.
    I don’t like it but that’s for reasons of tradition. Watching the Brazil v Croatia penalty shootout on my phone in my parked car with so much ice on the windows I couldn’t see outside was a surreal experience, as was watching Argentina v USA
    while putting up the Christmas tree (maybe I should have put a Messi ProStars figure at the top of the tree?).

However, objectively I find it hard to argue why it shouldn’t be held in November/ December. If anything it negates the usual excuses about players being too tired at the end of a long season. Being mid season for many leagues arguably the players
    should be at optimum physical fitness and also be sufficiently match sharp. They don’t necessarily have to accelerate the fixture list the way they did this time, they could always extend the club season by a month to accommodate it.

Now that they’ve held a World Cup in Northern Hemisphere winter without the World coming to an end they’ve got a foundation to do it again. Saudi Arabia are said to be keen on hosting and it wouldn’t surprise me if we have another Desert World
    Cup Christmas Special in the next 3 to 4 World Cups.

Also, it didn’t feel as if the overall quality of the football was any worse for the World Cup being mid-season. I’ve not seen a a summer World Cup produce such a good final, for instance.

RM

RM

2. Messi or Ronaldo?

3. VAR, good or bad?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Mon Dec 26 02:52:31 2022

The World Cup is always played in the middle of the season. Ask the Brazilians. What's the difference between being in the middle of the season for Spain and being in the middle of the season for Brazil? The Brazilians, Argentinians, Chileans etc have
    never complained. As far as I can see, it doesn't make any difference.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From HASM@21:1/5 to All on Mon Dec 26 09:08:44 2022
    I don't really have an opinion one way or the other, I'm mostly affected
    by the number of time zones away from PDT/PST.

What's the difference between being in the middle of the
    season for Spain and being in the middle of the season for Brazil?

These days southern hemisphere strong teams have a lot of players
    that play in the northern hemisphere and thus, if that difference
    matters, it may not be a full equivalency question.

-- HASM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Tue Dec 27 05:31:29 2022
    On Sunday, December 25, 2022 at 9:56:59 a.m. UTC-5, Binder Dundat wrote:

2. Messi or Ronaldo?

3. VAR, good or bad?

More a pork dumpling and tea discussion today

4. Five subs rule, since covid I think, the 5 subs rule has snuck in and is totally accepted in all leagues now, though you only have three chances to make the five subs. I think it is a good thing, though I can see how it helps bigger clubs.

5. Adding the full amount of added time. They seemed to do that more during the Desert Cup. Football should probably join the 19th century and go on a stop clock. Two 30 min halfs, would probably be equal to what we have today.

6. OK, this one will not appeal to everyone, though I have had this talk with Mr Lily White and he agrees, but giving 2 points for goals scored outside the box. Just think your team are down two goals in the 90th min and blast a goal from 20 metres out,
    game on! Should also promote long distance shooting, that seems to have all but died in the modern game-possibly cus keepers are now bigger and better?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Tue Dec 27 10:05:44 2022
    On Tuesday, December 27, 2022 at 1:31:31 PM UTC, Binder Dundat wrote:

In general bad and that might be more because we are so used to having it in the summer, but also it seems weird to have it in the middle of the season, the disruption just seems wrong. I think the clubs and ligas dont like it, like this season is

2. Messi or Ronaldo?

3. VAR, good or bad?

4. Five subs rule, since covid I think, the 5 subs rule has snuck in and is totally accepted in all leagues now, though you only have three chances to make the five subs. I think it is a good thing, though I can see how it helps bigger clubs.

5. Adding the full amount of added time. They seemed to do that more during the Desert Cup. Football should probably join the 19th century and go on a stop clock. Two 30 min halfs, would probably be equal to what we have today.

They've been doing this in the Turkish Super League anyway, or at least from the amount of injury time they add on it seems like they have. Not uncommon to see matches with 8, 9 or 10 minutes injury time in the Super League so it wasn't a shock to me
    when they played 12 minutes injury time in Wales v Iran. They should play the full amount of added time, it's only fair and if anything it could improve the game in that it could reduce time wasting.

6. OK, this one will not appeal to everyone, though I have had this talk with Mr Lily White and he agrees, but giving 2 points for goals scored outside the box. Just think your team are down two goals in the 90th min and blast a goal from 20 metres out,
    game on! Should also promote long distance shooting, that seems to have all but died in the modern game-possibly cus keepers are now bigger and better?

This sounds like the "zone soccer" idea they were considering implementing in the USA around the time of the 1994 World Cup. I don't like this idea, if goals from outside the area become more valuable then the game will change to a long distance shooting
    exercise and goals from inside the area resulting from well worked passing plays will become a rarity. Basically football would become "get the ball to an attacker outside the area as quickly possible and watch him shoot". It would become a less
    intricate and uglier game to watch.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Blueshirt@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Tue Dec 27 21:52:34 2022
    Real Mardin wrote:

6. OK, this one will not appeal to everyone, though I have had this
    talk with Mr Lily White and he agrees, but giving 2 points for
    goals scored outside the box. Just think your team are down two
    goals in the 90th min and blast a goal from 20 metres out, game on!
    Should also promote long distance shooting, that seems to have all
    but died in the modern game-possibly cus keepers are now bigger and
    better?

This sounds like the "zone soccer" idea they were considering
    implementing in the USA around the time of the 1994 World Cup. I
    don't like this idea, if goals from outside the area become more
    valuable then the game will change to a long distance shooting
    exercise and goals from inside the area resulting from well worked
    passing plays will become a rarity. Basically football would become
    "get the ball to an attacker outside the area as quickly possible and
    watch him shoot". It would become a less intricate and uglier game to
    watch.

Quite simply, football isn't about scoring points, it's about scoring
    goals. Two posts, a cross-bar, a net and a white line. If the ball
    crosses the line, it's a goal. I can't think of anyone who would like
    to complicate that simple arrangement.

[Phone Rings]

"Hello, Gianni Infantino here"...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MH@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Tue Dec 27 22:49:26 2022
    On 2022-12-27 11:05, Real Mardin wrote:

This sounds like the "zone soccer" idea they were considering implementing in the USA around the time of the 1994 World Cup. I don't like this idea, if goals from outside the area become more valuable then the game will change to a long distance
    shooting exercise and goals from inside the area resulting from well worked passing plays will become a rarity. Basically football would become "get the ball to an attacker outside the area as quickly possible and watch him shoot". It would become a less

When I was young all baskets in basketball counted for only 2 points. I
    have heard it argued (by people complaining about hockey and the lack of scoring because GKs are so much bigger and better, and everything is all
    jammed up) that the introduction of the three pointer revolutionized the
    game of basketball by opening up space. And obviously teams do NOT
    focus entirely on three pointers.

So while I don't particularly like Binder's proposal above, it can
    certainly be argued that it has merit.

I would rather do away with the penalty area altogether. A foul is a
    foul, and is a direct free kick. Would reduce diving and VAR nonsense.
    PKs only (as in hockey) for fouls that quite clearly deny an obvious
    high odds goalscoring opportunity.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MH@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Tue Dec 27 22:54:45 2022
    On 2022-12-27 06:31, Binder Dundat wrote:

Doesn't matter much to me. They should hold it a time of year, in
    whatever host country is chosen, that is conducive to playing football.
    Not too hot, not too cold and not in the rainy season. April in Spain,
    June in England, February in Mexico.

2. Messi or Ronaldo?

Ronaldo is more athletic, but Messi has the better footballing brain and
    is far more of a team player.

3. VAR, good or bad?

I tend to agree. Far too many marginal (by old stanndards) penalties
    awarded.

It certainly changes things, and kind of makes squad rotation a lot less necessary. Probably a boon to developing younger players

Yup/

6. OK, this one will not appeal to everyone, though I have had this talk with Mr Lily White and he agrees, but giving 2 points for goals scored outside the box. Just think your team are down two goals in the 90th min and blast a goal from 20 metres
    out, game on! Should also promote long distance shooting, that seems to have all but died in the modern game-possibly cus keepers are now bigger and better?

1 for a penalty, 2 for a regular goal, 3 for outside the box (not
    deflected) ? Naw it will never fly.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Wed Dec 28 03:04:02 2022

2. Messi or Ronaldo?

3. VAR, good or bad?

When do we actually get our stollen and pork dumpling? Is the idea that you send some by e-mail to anyone that contributes to this conversation?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From FF@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 28 05:13:02 2022
    On Wednesday, December 28, 2022 at 7:54:47 AM UTC+2, MH wrote:
    On 2022-12-27 06:31, Binder Dundat wrote:

Doesn't matter much to me. They should hold it a time of year, in
    whatever host country is chosen, that is conducive to playing football.
    Not too hot, not too cold and not in the rainy season. April in Spain,
    June in England, February in Mexico.

2. Messi or Ronaldo?
    Ronaldo is more athletic, but Messi has the better footballing brain and
    is far more of a team player.

3. VAR, good or bad?
    I tend to agree. Far too many marginal (by old stanndards) penalties awarded.

I think it's clear that with the video ref, the standards will move towards awarding "softer" (in lack of a better term) penalties. Many of them were actually valid penalties that, being soft, the ref wasn't reasonably sure to call. This is a good thing
    because one of the purposes is to have more goals overall. And rules are (or should be) the same at both ends.
    Hopefully in time it will drastically reduce the gray area and improve overall consistency. I expect some of the laws, or at least the guidelines, to be re-written to take full advantage of it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Al Kamista@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 28 06:52:27 2022
    On Wednesday, December 28, 2022 at 12:54:47 AM UTC-5, MH wrote:

It certainly changes things, and kind of makes squad rotation a lot less necessary. Probably a boon to developing younger players

It changes a lot I think. Why have 23-26 man squads when you can only use 14 (or now 16) players a game? I think there should not be any cap on subs - teams should be allowed up to 11 a games if they choose.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Al Kamista@21:1/5 to Mark on Wed Dec 28 06:49:16 2022
    On Monday, December 26, 2022 at 5:52:33 AM UTC-5, Mark wrote:

The World Cup is always played in the middle of the season. Ask the Brazilians. What's the difference between being in the middle of the season for Spain and being in the middle of the season for Brazil?

Very few people outside South America watch South American leagues. Billions around the globe watch the top European leagues. That's the very obvious difference.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Al Kamista@21:1/5 to All on Wed Dec 28 06:39:37 2022
    On Wednesday, December 28, 2022 at 12:49:29 AM UTC-5, MH wrote:

I have been suggesting this for ages. The penalty area is a completely arbitrary construct, with no rhyme or reason dictating its shape aside from the fact that it's a neat rectangle. How can a foul by the touchline 17 yards from goal in a non-
    threatening situation carry the same punishment as a foul around the penalty spot in a 1v1 situation? It does not make logical sense. A direct FK is a much more equitable solution. And PKs for clear denial of scoring opportunities, replacing a red card,
    because that (now very rare) penalty becomes a very tough punishment in its own right.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MH@21:1/5 to Al Kamista on Wed Dec 28 09:50:55 2022
    On 2022-12-28 07:39, Al Kamista wrote:

I have been suggesting this for ages.

As have I.

The penalty area is a completely arbitrary construct, with no rhyme or
    reason dictating its shape aside from the fact that it's a neat
    rectangle. How can a foul by the touchline 17 yards from goal in a non-threatening situation carry the same punishment as a foul around the penalty spot in a 1v1 situation? It does not make logical sense.

I have also said more or less exactly that. Agree 100 %. Especially
    for obviously unintentional handballs.

A direct FK is a much more equitable solution. And PKs for clear denial
    of scoring opportunities, replacing a red card, because that (now very
    rare) penalty becomes a very tough punishment in its own right.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 29 15:37:26 2022
    On Wednesday, December 28, 2022 at 5:49:29 AM UTC, MH wrote:

This sounds like the "zone soccer" idea they were considering implementing in the USA around the time of the 1994 World Cup. I don't like this idea, if goals from outside the area become more valuable then the game will change to a long distance
    shooting exercise and goals from inside the area resulting from well worked passing plays will become a rarity. Basically football would become "get the ball to an attacker outside the area as quickly possible and watch him shoot". It would become a less
    have heard it argued (by people complaining about hockey and the lack of scoring because GKs are so much bigger and better, and everything is all jammed up) that the introduction of the three pointer revolutionized the game of basketball by opening up space. And obviously teams do NOT

Good point, but I suppose the difference in the proposals is the weight of a point in both sports. Basketball is much higher scoring than football and most matches aren't decided by a single point, so introducing a method of scoring which provides a
    bonus point didn't imbalance the sport. A goal in football OTOH is worth comparatively more than a point in basketball as goals are more scarce and matches are commonly won by one goal. That's why I can see a "two point shot" system in football
    disproportionately impacting the way the game is played. Clubs would start training generations of young players on how to score from outside the area at the expense of other skills and with all the data analysis available these days would no doubt soon
    figure out that shots from a particular angle or distance would be more likely to yield a two point goal, which would just get boring.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Mark on Thu Dec 29 15:42:36 2022
    On Wednesday, December 28, 2022 at 11:04:03 AM UTC, Mark wrote:

2. Messi or Ronaldo?

3. VAR, good or bad?

6. OK, this one will not appeal to everyone, though I have had this talk with Mr Lily White and he agrees, but giving 2 points for goals scored outside the box. Just think your team are down two goals in the 90th min and blast a goal from 20 metres
    out, game on! Should also promote long distance shooting, that seems to have all but died in the modern game-possibly cus keepers are now bigger and better?

When do we actually get our stollen and pork dumpling? Is the idea that you send some by e-mail to anyone that contributes to this conversation?

Yes, I agree! So far I've contributed four posts to this thread and not been offered any coffee or stollen! The pork dumplings I'll pass on for cultural reasons.

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to alka...@hotmail.com on Fri Dec 30 02:48:51 2022
    On Wednesday, December 28, 2022 at 2:49:18 PM UTC, alka...@hotmail.com wrote:

The World Cup is always played in the middle of the season. Ask the Brazilians. What's the difference between being in the middle of the season for Spain and being in the middle of the season for Brazil?
    Very few people outside South America watch South American leagues. Billions around the globe watch the top European leagues. That's the very obvious difference.

I doubt if that's true. But even if it was, I don't think it would make much difference to the fans. Wouldn't it be more the players that would be affected?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Al Kamista@21:1/5 to Mark on Fri Dec 30 07:06:25 2022
    On Friday, December 30, 2022 at 5:48:53 AM UTC-5, Mark wrote:

In general bad and that might be more because we are so used to having it in the summer, but also it seems weird to have it in the middle of the season, the disruption just seems wrong. I think the clubs and ligas dont like it, like this season
    is such a write off already, it just makes every thing seem so unreal.

I doubt if that's true.

You are quite detached from reality. More people watch the Chinese and Mexican leagues than any South American league.

https://www.redbull.com/us-en/most-watched-soccer-leagues

But even if it was, I don't think it would make much difference to the fans. Wouldn't it be more the players that would be affected?

You realize that most South American WC players play in Europe, don't you? In fact, the Saudi and Qatari leagues were better represented in the WC than South American leagues. This might help:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1345544/league-most-world-cup-players/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to alka...@hotmail.com on Fri Dec 30 10:03:23 2022
    So it is Eggs, Apple strudel and Espresso talk today.
    Keeping on current events
    7. Pele, greatest of all time? Oh that is a topic which no one will agree upon. Up until 10 years ago or so, I would have considered Pele the greatest, even if I only really saw him playing in NASL, I know I had seen him in clips of WC's and playing
    for Santos, but a little bit before my time. The thing is his legend was so big, it was just a given he was the greatest of all time, even if players like Puskas or Di Stefano could be considered all time greatest of that era as well. But no it was
    Pele, you did not even mention any one else. Today though, it is hard for me to not say Messi is the greatest of all time. I remember years ago, my Chilean friends thought Maradonna was greater than Pele ( which is weird since all Chileans consider
    Argies Mericons). But it boils down to who you saw paly when you were playing, like I bet there are many English men who think Gascoine was the greatest player ever.

8. The Worth of managers in football. I am sure everyone knows I think the whole football manger value is overblown, it is even gone to the national team managers, where I read such ridiculous stuff about managers and national teams. Obviously you can
    have better managers, just like you would in a Burger king, but does a good Burger King manager mean the fries taste better? Today we have managers being credited and blamaed for every single thing that goes on. No one even knows the name of the Argie
    manager who won the World Cup, or all the different managers Real have had that won the UCL. In fact no one seems to give Zizou any credit as a manager, when he is one of the managers that players actually look up to. If Pele was so great, why didnt he
    ever manage a club or Brazil.

9. And just to keep with the MGR. topic, OK, just a rumour, but a foreign manager for Brazil? I wanna say, Germany, Italy, France, Spain, maybe Argentina have never had foreign managers, but everyone else has. Is it legal? Is it moral to have foreign
    managers for a national team? There is no way Brazilians will go for it? Will they? Been a long time since they won a WC, even the Argies just won one!

On Friday, December 30, 2022 at 10:06:27 a.m. UTC-5, alka...@hotmail.com wrote:

In general bad and that might be more because we are so used to having it in the summer, but also it seems weird to have it in the middle of the season, the disruption just seems wrong. I think the clubs and ligas dont like it, like this season

I doubt if that's true.
    You are quite detached from reality. More people watch the Chinese and Mexican leagues than any South American league.

But even if it was, I don't think it would make much difference to the fans. Wouldn't it be more the players that would be affected?
    You realize that most South American WC players play in Europe, don't you? In fact, the Saudi and Qatari leagues were better represented in the WC than South American leagues. This might help:

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MH@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Fri Dec 30 18:11:02 2022
    On 2022-12-30 11:03, Binder Dundat wrote:
    7. Pele, greatest of all time? Oh that is a topic which no one will agree upon. Up until 10 years ago or so, I would have considered Pele the greatest, even if I only really saw him playing in NASL, I know I had seen him in clips of WC's and playing
    for Santos, but a little bit before my time. The thing is his legend was so big, it was just a given he was the greatest of all time, even if players like Puskas or Di Stefano could be considered all time greatest of that era as well. But no it was
    Pele, you did not even mention any one else. Today though, it is hard for me to not say Messi is the greatest of all time. I remember years ago, my Chilean friends thought Maradonna was greater than Pele ( which is weird since all Chileans consider
    Argies Mericons). But it boils down to who you saw paly when you were playing, like I bet there are many English men who think Gascoine was the greatest player ever.

8. The Worth of managers in football. I am sure everyone knows I think the whole football manger value is overblown, it is even gone to the national team managers, where I read such ridiculous stuff about managers and national teams. Obviously you
    can have better managers, just like you would in a Burger king, but does a good Burger King manager mean the fries taste better? Today we have managers being credited and blamaed for every single thing that goes on. No one even knows the name of the
    Argie manager who won the World Cup, or all the different managers Real have had that won the UCL. In fact no one seems to give Zizou any credit as a manager, when he is one of the managers that players actually look up to. If Pele was so great, why
    didnt he ever manage a club or Brazil.

I wonder how many people know who managed/coached Brazil in 1958 or 1962
    ? we hear so much about those teams, but the coaches get little mention
    (maybe they were folk heros in Brazil, I dunno)

Scaloni has never actually coached a club team, and came up through the
    junior ranks in the Argentine system. I remember him as a useful squad member, but not much more, with Deportivo La Coruña back in the early 2000s.

9. And just to keep with the MGR. topic, OK, just a rumour, but a foreign manager for Brazil? I wanna say, Germany, Italy, France

France had a Romanian before Hidalgo (Kovacs). Spain had Helenio
    Herrera for a while. Also Kubala.

, Spain, maybe Argentina have never had foreign managers, but everyone
    else has. Is it legal? Is it moral to have foreign managers for a
    national team? There is no way Brazilians will go for it? Will they?
    Been a long time since they won a WC, even the Argies just won one!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to All on Sat Dec 31 10:29:36 2022
    A wet rainy New years here on the iceberg, so no Coffee or tea, but starting off with a couple of Becks and chicken tenders for "Brunch", I dont really care for Oranje juice and fake Champers, or real champagne and OJ or Brunch for that matter. But Lets
    go to number 10

10. I am watching the WWEpl this morn and is the Arse for real? manc City lost 1-1 to Everton at home but here is Arsenal leading comfortably enough 2-0 at the half. Are they for real? I dont know how they are doing it, but they are somehow. Are
    they for real? I am gonna say yes. I wonder if Doc Who thinks so?

On Friday, December 30, 2022 at 8:11:06 p.m. UTC-5, MH wrote:
    On 2022-12-30 11:03, Binder Dundat wrote:
    for Santos, but a little bit before my time. The thing is his legend was so big, it was just a given he was the greatest of all time, even if players like Puskas or Di Stefano could be considered all time greatest of that era as well. But no it was Pele,
    you did not even mention any one else. Today though, it is hard for me to not say Messi is the greatest of all time. I remember years ago, my Chilean friends thought Maradonna was greater than Pele ( which is weird since all Chileans consider Argies
    Mericons). But it boils down to who you saw paly when you were playing, like I bet there are many English men who think Gascoine was the greatest player ever.

8. The Worth of managers in football. I am sure everyone knows I think the whole football manger value is overblown, it is even gone to the national team managers, where I read such ridiculous stuff about managers and national teams. Obviously you
    can have better managers, just like you would in a Burger king, but does a good Burger King manager mean the fries taste better? Today we have managers being credited and blamaed for every single thing that goes on. No one even knows the name of the
    Argie manager who won the World Cup, or all the different managers Real have had that won the UCL. In fact no one seems to give Zizou any credit as a manager, when he is one of the managers that players actually look up to. If Pele was so great, why
    didnt he ever manage a club or Brazil.
    I wonder how many people know who managed/coached Brazil in 1958 or 1962
    ? we hear so much about those teams, but the coaches get little mention (maybe they were folk heros in Brazil, I dunno)

Scaloni has never actually coached a club team, and came up through the junior ranks in the Argentine system. I remember him as a useful squad member, but not much more, with Deportivo La Coruña back in the early 2000s.

9. And just to keep with the MGR. topic, OK, just a rumour, but a foreign manager for Brazil? I wanna say, Germany, Italy, France
    France had a Romanian before Hidalgo (Kovacs). Spain had Helenio
    Herrera for a while. Also Kubala.
    , Spain, maybe Argentina have never had foreign managers, but everyone
    else has. Is it legal? Is it moral to have foreign managers for a
    national team? There is no way Brazilians will go for it? Will they?
    Been a long time since they won a WC, even the Argies just won one!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Sun Jan 1 04:28:33 2023
    On Friday, December 30, 2022 at 6:03:25 PM UTC, Binder Dundat wrote:

Yum. When I've finally received my stollen and eaten it, I'll look forward to some apple strudel.

for Santos, but a little bit before my time. The thing is his legend was so big, it was just a given he was the greatest of all time, even if players like Puskas or Di Stefano could be considered all time greatest of that era as well. But no it was Pele,
    you did not even mention any one else. Today though, it is hard for me to not say Messi is the greatest of all time. I remember years ago, my Chilean friends thought Maradonna was greater than Pele ( which is weird since all Chileans consider Argies
    Mericons). But it boils down to who you saw paly when you were playing, like I bet there are many English men who think Gascoine was the greatest player ever.

I think Pele is the greatest of all time. Even in xenophobic England he's a household name! How many other players that have never played for an English team are household name's in England? As far as I know not even Alfredo di Stefano, Lev Yashin or
    Franz Beckenbauer. And he won 3 World Cups, 2 World Club Championships, and 2 Copa Libertadores, scored over 1,000 goals, an average of nearly a goal per game, and was the top scorer at the Copa America in, I think, 1959.

8. The Worth of managers in football. I am sure everyone knows I think the whole football manger value is overblown, it is even gone to the national team managers, where I read such ridiculous stuff about managers and national teams. Obviously you can
    have better managers, just like you would in a Burger king, but does a good Burger King manager mean the fries taste better? Today we have managers being credited and blamaed for every single thing that goes on. No one even knows the name of the Argie
    manager who won the World Cup, or all the different managers Real have had that won the UCL. In fact no one seems to give Zizou any credit as a manager, when he is one of the managers that players actually look up to. If Pele was so great, why didnt he
    ever manage a club or Brazil.

I know all the Argentinian managers that have won the World Cup. Very few of the Real Madrid managers that have won the CL though. There is evidence that coaches make a difference. Arrigo Sacchi at Milan and the Italian national team; Fabio Capello at
    Milan and at Real Madrid in 1998 and in 2008; Carlos Bianchi at Boca Juniors in 2000 and 2001, and then after a year of them achieving relatively little, when he returned in 2003.

Anyway, nobody's answered my question in the other thread, so I'll ask here as it's a sort of casual-discussion kind of question that fits in this kind of thread. Should I include my prediction for the 2022 Club World Cup in my pre-season predictions for
    2023? or does that really count as 2022?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bruce Scott@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Sun Jan 1 14:53:33 2023
    On 2022-12-31, Binder Dundat <dundat@gmail.com> wrote:

10. I am watching the WWEpl this morn and is the Arse for real?
    manc City lost 1-1 to Everton at home but here is Arsenal leading
    comfortably enough 2-0 at the half. Are they for real? I dont know
    how they are doing it, but they are somehow. Are they for real? I
    am gonna say yes. I wonder if Doc Who thinks so?

Maybe. But they made it interesting in the end (with a perfect
    example of how they cut the offside decisions too tight in VAR...
    both men running away from goal, one trailing foot puts the player
    offside!). And it's only 16 or 17 rounds in.

Poor Leicester, with those two own goals in a few minutes...

--
    ciao, Bruce

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to Mark on Mon Jan 2 02:13:29 2023
    On Sunday, January 1, 2023 at 12:28:35 PM UTC, Mark wrote:

There is evidence that coaches make a difference. Arrigo Sacchi at Milan and the Italian national team; Fabio Capello at Milan and at Real Madrid in 1998 and in 2008;

Oops. I meant 1997 and 2007.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Al Kamista@21:1/5 to Al Kamista on Mon Jan 2 12:34:14 2023
    On Friday, December 30, 2022 at 10:06:27 AM UTC-5, Al Kamista wrote:

I doubt if that's true.

Mark, it would be good to see you acknowledge (or refute) facts/data that undermine your perceptions.

Otherwise you look like you're being deliberately dishonest.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to alka...@hotmail.com on Tue Jan 3 03:38:08 2023
    On Monday, January 2, 2023 at 8:34:16 PM UTC, alka...@hotmail.com wrote:

In general bad and that might be more because we are so used to having it in the summer, but also it seems weird to have it in the middle of the season, the disruption just seems wrong. I think the clubs and ligas dont like it, like this
    season is such a write off already, it just makes every thing seem so unreal.

I doubt if that's true.

Mark, it would be good to see you acknowledge (or refute) facts/data that undermine your perceptions.

Well the most watched soccer leagues link seemed questionable. Their figures seemed strange, and I'd like to know what their source is. Even if their figures are accurate, only 2 of the top European Leagues are watched by billions, and there's no
    evidence that very few people outside South America watch South American leagues. And there's also the fact that about 1.4 billion people live in China, so that might explain why so many people watch the Chinese League.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Al Kamista@21:1/5 to Mark on Thu Jan 5 06:01:16 2023
    On Tuesday, January 3, 2023 at 6:38:10 AM UTC-5, Mark wrote:
    On Monday, January 2, 2023 at 8:34:16 PM UTC, alka...@hotmail.com wrote:

In general bad and that might be more because we are so used to having it in the summer, but also it seems weird to have it in the middle of the season, the disruption just seems wrong. I think the clubs and ligas dont like it, like this
    season is such a write off already, it just makes every thing seem so unreal.

I doubt if that's true.

Well the most watched soccer leagues link seemed questionable. Their figures seemed strange, and I'd like to know what their source is.

I assume you know how to use Google search?

Please do you own research and come back and disprove that South American leagues have far lower viewership than top European leagues. Of course, any knowledgable football fan with an even average IQ will know that without researching it.

I look forward to your response.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 9 12:54:47 2023

have heard it argued (by people complaining about hockey and the lack of scoring because GKs are so much bigger and better, and everything is all jammed up) that the introduction of the three pointer revolutionized the game of basketball by opening up space. And obviously teams do NOT

The amazing thing is that three-pointers in basketball were introduced in the NBA in the 1979-1980 season (and a few years later in the international game); yet, it took coaches and analysts about 30 years to figure out that a 3-point shot with a 35%
    success rate is better than a 2-point shot with a 50% success rate (and a corner three, where the distance to the basket is slightly smaller, is even better).(*) Basketball today is almost unrecognizable from what it was 10-15 years ago. I would argue
    that it has mostly been for the better, even though some fans argue that the pendulum has swung too far and there have been calls to modify the three-point rule in some way.

The same thing is happening in soccer now. The development of xG has made coaches realize that shots from distance are generally a bad choice, and they have been declining across the board. Average xG per shot for selected top strikers:

Lewandowski: 0.06 (outside the box), 0.21 (inside the box), 0.5 (inside 6 yard box)
    CRon: 0.04, 0.19, 0.42
    Messi: 0.06, 0.20, 0.51
    Kane: 0.04, 0.19, 0.41
    Haaland: 0.07, 0.21, 0.57
    Higuain: 0.04, 0.17, 0.38
    Mbappe: 0.04, 0.20, 0.49
    Suarez: 0.05, 0.21, 0.42

So, based on this very incomplete sample, it looks as if shots from inside the box have on average a 20% success rate, versus about 5% for shots outside the box. Since every goal is worth 1 point, it is indeed almost crazy that people are still taking
    shots from outside the box. (OK, that's not exactly a correct argument: the correct question is, are you better off taking a very low probability shot from 25 meters out, or keep possession to try and get a better shot off? And how likely are you to
    indeed get a better shot?)

(*) Baseball is even more amazing: it took more than 100 years to figure out that a base on balls was just as valuable as a single? (In fact, probably more, if you take into account the effect of tiring out the pitcher...)

Yep, at 2:1, it should encourage a bit more shooting from outside the box, even though it still looks far from optimal. Make it 3:1?

The problem with that is that it would decrease the amount of scoring. I don't think the game should move in that direction.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Tue Jan 10 03:18:07 2023
    On Monday, January 9, 2023 at 8:54:49 PM UTC, Futbolmetrix wrote:

The same thing is happening in soccer now. The development of xG has made coaches realize that shots from distance are generally a bad choice, and they have been declining across the board.

What is xG?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to Mark on Tue Jan 10 15:28:27 2023
    On Tuesday, January 10, 2023 at 6:18:09 AM UTC-5, Mark wrote:

The same thing is happening in soccer now. The development of xG has made coaches realize that shots from distance are generally a bad choice, and they have been declining across the board.
    What is xG?

It's short for Expected Goals. There are a bunch of explainers around:

https://fbref.com/en/expected-goals-model-explained/ https://statsbomb.com/soccer-metrics/expected-goals-xg-explained/

From the first link: "Very simply, xG (or expected goals) is the probability that a shot will result in a goal based on the characteristics of that shot and the events leading up to it."

In a nutshell, it's a way of quantifying concepts that we are all familiar with when watching football matches:
    "How on earth did he miss that?" --> xG >0.5
    "A striker of his quality is expected to score from there" --> xG about 0.2 "That was a hopeful attempt" --> xG < 0.05

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MH@21:1/5 to Futbolmetrix on Tue Jan 10 20:15:05 2023
    On 2023-01-10 16:28, Futbolmetrix wrote:
    On Tuesday, January 10, 2023 at 6:18:09 AM UTC-5, Mark wrote:

What is xG?

It's short for Expected Goals. There are a bunch of explainers around:

https://fbref.com/en/expected-goals-model-explained/ https://statsbomb.com/soccer-metrics/expected-goals-xg-explained/

From the first link: "Very simply, xG (or expected goals) is the probability that a shot will result in a goal based on the characteristics of that shot and the events leading up to it."

In a nutshell, it's a way of quantifying concepts that we are all familiar with when watching football matches:
    "How on earth did he miss that?" --> xG >0.5
    "A striker of his quality is expected to score from there" --> xG about 0.2 "That was a hopeful attempt" --> xG < 0.05

Is a penalty kick not 0.76 or something like that ?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Futbolmetrix@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 11 06:55:32 2023
    On Tuesday, January 10, 2023 at 10:15:09 PM UTC-5, MH wrote:

Is a penalty kick not 0.76 or something like that ?

Something like that. I see that fbref now assigns penalties an xG of 0.79 (independent of the shooter, as far as I can tell)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05