• Re: Who cares about 3rd place R

From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to vedran on Sat Dec 17 07:14:23 2022
    On Saturday, December 17, 2022 at 10:08:18 a.m. UTC-5, vedran wrote:
    On 17.12.2022. 15:33, Binder Dundat wrote:

I assume Morocco want this more and will win. These teams already met and played a 0-0, have not seen the lineups, so cant say if this will be a for real game or not?
    Definitely not hyped up as I've seen bronze and silver already.
    Match was overshadowed with Sinisa Mihajlovic's death,

Did not know about that, he was quite young.

at first I've seen there was supposed to be a minute of silence,
    but Wenger said it wouldn't, both today and tomorrow.

Masked man just scored.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to vedran on Sat Dec 17 07:11:19 2022
    Who cares about third place? Croatia does, actually, so does Morocco. Croatia score early, but Morocco comes right back and scores within a minute. 1-1 and not 10 mins played yet.

Both teams with strong line ups to start.

I assume Morocco want this more and will win. These teams already met and played a 0-0, have not seen the lineups, so cant say if this will be a for real game or not?

Masked man just scored.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to All on Sat Dec 17 06:33:24 2022
    We just went through Snowmageddon here, which maybe means a winter WC is the way to go in the future? You want to be watching A WC when you cant go out, when it is cold and snowy, not in the middle of summer, when you are outside enjoying the weather.
    Maybe World Cups should only be played during snowstorms.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From vedran@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Sat Dec 17 16:08:13 2022

Masked man just scored.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Sat Dec 17 07:50:18 2022
    On Saturday, December 17, 2022 at 10:41:20 a.m. UTC-5, Real Mardin wrote:
    On Saturday, December 17, 2022 at 3:11:20 PM UTC, Binder Dundat wrote:
    Who cares about third place?
    Good question. Without looking things up, I can remember the scores and events of every World Cup final I’ve seen, but I can scarcely remember the third place games. I know they can be entertaining but that’s because there is nothing meaningful to
    play for so teams can play carefree.

I recall Italy beating England in 1990 (but not any detail other than it rings a bell that Tony Dorigo played for England??) and of course Turkey beating South Korea 3-2 but I had a vested interest in that one. Hakan Sukur scored the fastest ever World
    Cup finals goal and there was a nice moment at the end where both teams took a standing ovation.

Rings a bell that Germany - Uruguay was an entertaining game in 2010 but struggling again with the details without resorting to Wikipedia.

So I guess the challenge is what can other rss’ers remember about third place games without consulting any source other than their own memory?

Dont think I know who played in the last one, previous to that in 2014 one team had to be Brasil, I seem to recall Germany beating Portugal in a 3rd place match some years ago...but anyhow, this has been an entertaining match, all the goals have been
    nice goals.

I would say both teams care about 3rd place in this case.

RM
    Croatia does, actually, so does Morocco. Croatia score early, but Morocco comes right back and scores within a minute. 1-1 and not 10 mins played yet.

Masked man just scored.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Sat Dec 17 07:41:18 2022

Good question. Without looking things up, I can remember the scores and events of every World Cup final I’ve seen, but I can scarcely remember the third place games. I know they can be entertaining but that’s because there is nothing meaningful to

I recall Italy beating England in 1990 (but not any detail other than it rings a bell that Tony Dorigo played for England??) and of course Turkey beating South Korea 3-2 but I had a vested interest in that one. Hakan Sukur scored the fastest ever World
    Cup finals goal and there was a nice moment at the end where both teams took a standing ovation.

Rings a bell that Germany - Uruguay was an entertaining game in 2010 but struggling again with the details without resorting to Wikipedia.

So I guess the challenge is what can other rss’ers remember about third place games without consulting any source other than their own memory?

RM

Croatia does, actually, so does Morocco. Croatia score early, but Morocco comes right back and scores within a minute. 1-1 and not 10 mins played yet.

Masked man just scored.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From The Doctor@21:1/5 to dundat@gmail.com on Sat Dec 17 15:44:11 2022
    In article <f7de6f42-faa7-4116-a091-49e302252cfbn@googlegroups.com>,
    Binder Dundat <dundat@gmail.com> wrote:
    We just went through Snowmageddon here, which maybe means a winter WC is
    the way to go in the future? You want to be watching A WC when you cant
    go out, when it is cold and snowy, not in the middle of summer, when you
    are outside enjoying the weather. Maybe World Cups should only be
    played during snowstorms.

I assume Morocco want this more and will win. These teams already met
    and played a 0-0, have not seen the lineups, so cant say if this will be
    a for real game or not?

Croatia 2 Morocc 1 43'
    --
    Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nk.ca Ici doctor@nk.ca
    Yahweh, King & country!Never Satan President Republic!Beware AntiChrist rising! Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism https://www.empire.kred/ROOTNK?t=94a1f39b Happy Christmas 2022 and Merry New Year 2023 Beware https://mindspring.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Binder Dundat@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Sat Dec 17 08:46:43 2022
    Ref decided to not call a couple of PKs, one at each end VARobot didnt object either, so it stays 2-1 with maybe 10 mins left. croatia look more likely to score, but still time for this to go to et

On Saturday, December 17, 2022 at 10:50:20 a.m. UTC-5, Binder Dundat wrote:
    On Saturday, December 17, 2022 at 10:41:20 a.m. UTC-5, Real Mardin wrote:
    Good question. Without looking things up, I can remember the scores and events of every World Cup final I’ve seen, but I can scarcely remember the third place games. I know they can be entertaining but that’s because there is nothing meaningful
    to play for so teams can play carefree.

I recall Italy beating England in 1990 (but not any detail other than it rings a bell that Tony Dorigo played for England??) and of course Turkey beating South Korea 3-2 but I had a vested interest in that one. Hakan Sukur scored the fastest ever
    World Cup finals goal and there was a nice moment at the end where both teams took a standing ovation.

Dont think I know who played in the last one, previous to that in 2014 one team had to be Brasil, I seem to recall Germany beating Portugal in a 3rd place match some years ago...but anyhow, this has been an entertaining match, all the goals have been
    nice goals.

I would say both teams care about 3rd place in this case.

RM

Masked man just scored.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Real Mardin@21:1/5 to vedran on Sat Dec 17 09:00:35 2022
    On Saturday, December 17, 2022 at 4:57:18 PM UTC, vedran wrote:
    On 17.12.2022. 17:46, Binder Dundat wrote:
    Ref decided to not call a couple of PKs, one at each end VARobot didnt object either,
    https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/zoa6rh/croatia_penalty_shout_with_no_var_review_75th/

Absurd, can't wait to see what will happen tomorrow.

Croatia second place in 2018

Croatia third place in 2022

So Croatian football is in decline then? (Joke)

RM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MH@21:1/5 to vedran on Sat Dec 17 10:15:00 2022
    On 2022-12-17 09:57, vedran wrote:
    Ref decided to not call a couple of PKs, one at each end VARobot didnt
    object either,

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/zoa6rh/croatia_penalty_shout_with_no_var_review_75th/

VAR presumably did look at it and, rightly or wrongly, told the ref
    there was nothing in it.

Not sure why, but the theatrical fall most likely did Gvardiol a
    disservice. They may also have thought Gvardiol foulded Amrabat first
    (impeded him with his arm).

Interesting the that commentary posted in this link was not the same as
    (the also English) one we got here, where they were much less sure about
    the incident and initially declared it not a penalty, before
    backtracking a bit.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From vedran@21:1/5 to Binder Dundat on Sat Dec 17 17:57:12 2022
    Ref decided to not call a couple of PKs, one at each end VARobot didnt object either,

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From vedran@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Sat Dec 17 23:07:11 2022
    On 17.12.2022. 18:00, Real Mardin wrote:

Croatia second place in 2018

Croatia third place in 2022

So Croatian football is in decline then? (Joke)

Everything is worse than 2018 except for Gvardiol and Lukaku :)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark@21:1/5 to Real Mardin on Sun Dec 18 05:10:14 2022
    On Saturday, December 17, 2022 at 3:41:20 PM UTC, Real Mardin wrote:

3-2 to Germany in 2010, with Uruguay hitting the crossbar in the last minute I think. 1958 France beat the World champions West Germany 6-3 with Just Fontaine scoring 4 goals. 2014 Netherlands beat Brazil 3-0. 1990 Peter Shilton dropped the ball with an
    opponent standing right next to him, leading to Italy's 2nd goal in a 2-1 win for Italy. 1998 Croatia beat Netherlands. 1994 Sweden beat Bulgaria 4-0. I can remember a lot of the scores - or at least the teams that were playing. Not sure about how much
    other details.

Why do they have a 3rd place play-off though? Is it genuinely because 3rd place in a World Championship is prestigious etc, or is it about money or what?

Anyway, my vote for goalkeeper of the tournament goes to Dominik Livakovic of Croatia. I think he's played well in this tournament.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05